FW: Help Importing OS Opendata Terrain 50

FW: Help Importing OS Opendata Terrain 50

Jonathan Ryan

Hi there!

I am a student looking to make use of UK Ordnance Survey Opendata Terrain 50 raster/dataset on QGIS. I’m a complete novice at GIS software but it looks incredibly useful so I’d like to get up to speed.

I have successfully downloaded QGIS 3.6 ‘Noosa’. I downloaded the OS Terrain 50 data off the Ordnance Survey website as a zip folder.

Please can someone help explain how I can import the data into QGIS? I have unzipped the section of the Terrain 50 map I need to look at (section “TR” - including all subfolders) but don’t seem to be able to import via the “raster+” button on the left-hand toolbar.

I’ve leafed through the OS instruction manual/Getting Started Guide and watched a YouTube video but neither seem to cover this in sufficient detail.

I’d be very grateful for any assistance.

Many thanks.

Kind regards

Jon Ryan

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Help Importing OS Opendata Terrain 50

Philip Barlow
Hi Jon,

OS Terrain 50 is provided as esri grid files (asc) I believe? You may need to drill down a bit to find the "asc" sub-folder or you may simply need to change the file format filter in the add raster dialogue box to "asc.

Phil

[...]

Mae'r Awdurdod yn hapus i gyfathrebu yn Gymraeg neu yn Saesneg

The Authority is happy to communicate in Welsh or English

Follow us on Twitter
Join us on Facebook
Watch us on Youtube
Look at us on Flickr

This email and any attached files should only be read by those persons to whom
they are addressed and be used by them only for their intended purpose.
If you are not the intended recipient please destroy all copies and inform the
sender by return email.

Please note that the contents of this email may be subject to public disclosure
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and therefore the confidentiality of
this message and any reply cannot be guaranteed.

Click here to view PCNPA Privacy Notice – Keeping your Information Safe

For further information on the PCNPA please visit our website at www.pembrokeshirecoast.org.uk

Dim ond y personau hynny yr anfonwyd yr e-bost hwn atynt ac unrhyw ffeiliau sydd
ynghlwm ddylid eu darllen, a dim ond hwy ddylid eu defnyddio at y diben y bwriadwyd hwy.
Os nad y chi yw'r person y bwriadwyd eu derbyn a fyddech gystal â dinistrio pob copi a rhoi
gwybod i'r anfonwr gyda throad yr e-bost.

Noder os gwelwch yn dda y gall cynnwys yr e-bost hwn orfod cael ei ddatgelu i'r cyhoedd o
dan Deddf Rhyddid Gwybodaeth 2000 ac felly ni ellir gwarantu cyfrinachedd y neges hon
nac unrhyw ateb.

Cliciwch yma i weld Hysbysiad Preifatrwydd APCAP - Cadw eich Gwybodaeth yn Ddiogel

Am ragor o wybodaeth am APCAP ymwelwch â'n gwefan ar www.arfordirpenfro.org.uk

Ystyrier yr amgylchedd cyn argraffu'r e-bost hwn os gwelwch yn dda.

Re: Help Importing OS Opendata Terrain 50

Ross McDonald
In your file explorer find the ASCII files, Jon, and just drag and drop into QGIS and it will do the rest for you.
Ross