FOSS4GUK Online

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FOSS4GUK Online

stevenfeldman
Trying a second time because the first post did not seem to get through

Hi

A couple of weeks back the OSGeo:UK team (Jo Cook, Dave Barter, Steven Feldman, Alastair Graham, Antony Scott and Matt Travis) mentioned on twitter that we were trying to put together an online FOSS4G event. 

We are delighted to now formally announce that we will be running FOSS4GUK Online on 17th June.

This will be an online-only event intended to give us a little FOSS4G fix while we are in, or just coming out of, lock-down. It will be a chance to share some of the work we’ve been doing during (or in spite of) this strange time, as well as a useful experiment in how we can run online conferences alongside our face to face events in the future. 

We hope that the online format will allow our community across the UK and from further afield to participate from their desktops whether it is for the whole day or dipping in and out for an hour or two. We want to make the online event as interactive and engaging as possible so we are open to your suggestions via the Call for Presentations.

Technology
We have decided to use zoom to run this event, we looked at most of the alternatives (open and proprietary) and we concluded that zoom offered the best platform for us to run this event in terms of stability, scalability, features and ease of use for delegates and admins. We have tested on Linux, Mac, Windows, Android and iOS. It is also very reasonably priced so we are able to run the event as a free event for hundreds of delegates, we will probably encourage delegates to make a charitable donation but that will not be mandatory.

Call for Presentations
We welcome technical talks, demos, user stories (particularly ones about the use of FOSS4G tech during the Covid19 crisis), thought pieces... In fact we welcome any talks that are based on Open Source Geo and are not pushing a sales message.

We will also be offering a small number of workshops (ca 90 minutes) which will need to be instruction style rather than fully interactive.

Our call for presentations has been extended until the 18th May, we hope you give us a hard choice choosing what to include in the programme.

Volunteering
We need volunteers to help in the planning and build-up stages and also to help on the big day. If you would like to get involved please fill in the Volunteering form and we will get in touch as the needs arise. 

We would welcome people to assist in programming, marketing, web stuff, design, responding to delegate enquiries, video editing skills, experience of running large meetings or events on zoom and possibly streaming to youtube. Tell us what you can do and we will get back to you

Right now, we need a FOSS4GUK Online logo that incorporates the traditional FOSS4G ribbon. Please send us your ideas.

That’s it for now folks, we look forward to your presentation and workshop submissions, your offers of help and most of all seeing you online at FOSS4GUK online on 17th June.

We will keep posting formal updates on this list, there will be a new event website at uk.osgeo.org in a few days and look out for lots of activity on our twitter account @OSGeoUK

May the FOSS be with you
____________
Steven Feldman and the OSGeo:UK Team

_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4GUK Online

Sergio Acosta y Lara

​Congratulations! Your experience will be extremely useful for others (including us)


Sergio Acosta y Lara
Departamento de Geomática
Dirección Nacional de Topografía
Ministerio de Transporte y Obras Públicas
URUGUAY
(598)29157933 ints. 20329/20330

De: Discuss <[hidden email]> en nombre de Steven Feldman <[hidden email]>
Enviado: viernes, 08 de mayo de 2020 12:33
Para: [hidden email]
Asunto: [OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4GUK Online
 
Trying a second time because the first post did not seem to get through

Hi

A couple of weeks back the OSGeo:UK team (Jo Cook, Dave Barter, Steven Feldman, Alastair Graham, Antony Scott and Matt Travis) mentioned on twitter that we were trying to put together an online FOSS4G event. 

We are delighted to now formally announce that we will be running FOSS4GUK Online on 17th June.

This will be an online-only event intended to give us a little FOSS4G fix while we are in, or just coming out of, lock-down. It will be a chance to share some of the work we’ve been doing during (or in spite of) this strange time, as well as a useful experiment in how we can run online conferences alongside our face to face events in the future. 

We hope that the online format will allow our community across the UK and from further afield to participate from their desktops whether it is for the whole day or dipping in and out for an hour or two. We want to make the online event as interactive and engaging as possible so we are open to your suggestions via the Call for Presentations.

Technology
We have decided to use zoom to run this event, we looked at most of the alternatives (open and proprietary) and we concluded that zoom offered the best platform for us to run this event in terms of stability, scalability, features and ease of use for delegates and admins. We have tested on Linux, Mac, Windows, Android and iOS. It is also very reasonably priced so we are able to run the event as a free event for hundreds of delegates, we will probably encourage delegates to make a charitable donation but that will not be mandatory.

Call for Presentations
We welcome technical talks, demos, user stories (particularly ones about the use of FOSS4G tech during the Covid19 crisis), thought pieces... In fact we welcome any talks that are based on Open Source Geo and are not pushing a sales message.

We will also be offering a small number of workshops (ca 90 minutes) which will need to be instruction style rather than fully interactive.

Our call for presentations has been extended until the 18th May, we hope you give us a hard choice choosing what to include in the programme.

Volunteering
We need volunteers to help in the planning and build-up stages and also to help on the big day. If you would like to get involved please fill in the Volunteering form and we will get in touch as the needs arise. 

We would welcome people to assist in programming, marketing, web stuff, design, responding to delegate enquiries, video editing skills, experience of running large meetings or events on zoom and possibly streaming to youtube. Tell us what you can do and we will get back to you

Right now, we need a FOSS4GUK Online logo that incorporates the traditional FOSS4G ribbon. Please send us your ideas.

That’s it for now folks, we look forward to your presentation and workshop submissions, your offers of help and most of all seeing you online at FOSS4GUK online on 17th June.

We will keep posting formal updates on this list, there will be a new event website at uk.osgeo.org in a few days and look out for lots of activity on our twitter account @OSGeoUK

May the FOSS be with you
____________
Steven Feldman and the OSGeo:UK Team

_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4GUK Online

ginetto
In reply to this post by stevenfeldman
FYI online webinars organised dy QGIS  mexico user groups have the following setup (all video are available here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd223Om2zRQdsU1ghRz_zQ/videos yesterday live is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd223Om2zRQdsU1ghRz_zQ/videos)

- Jitsi meet for speakers
- a Streamer person to who all speakers ar connected with Jitsi meet.
- The streamer person, with a good laptop and good upload network, use OBS to stream his jitsi window + audio directly to a video streaming platform (they use youtube)
Attenders chat and interact using the streaming platform chat, but they can use telegram or something else, but having in the same streaming platform can allow playback having chat recorded
- Every one can enter in jitsi meet (e.g voice questions with or without video) just rising hand => the moderator (e.g. the streamer person) pass him the conference link (shared privatly) to connect to the conf.
- an alternative audio setup with really low latency just for question and discussion is using mumble.

IMHO for a conference there are really good FOSS alternatives to Zoom o other proprietary stuffs.

We (Spanish QGIS user group) are plannign AGM next month using similar setup... adding voting stuffs or via Telegram/polls or via others as star.vote...


regards

Luigi Pirelli

**************************************************************************************************
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/luigipirelli
* Stackexchange: http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/19667/luigi-pirelli
* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
* Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net
**************************************************************************************************


On Fri, 8 May 2020 at 17:33, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Trying a second time because the first post did not seem to get through

Hi

A couple of weeks back the OSGeo:UK team (Jo Cook, Dave Barter, Steven Feldman, Alastair Graham, Antony Scott and Matt Travis) mentioned on twitter that we were trying to put together an online FOSS4G event. 

We are delighted to now formally announce that we will be running FOSS4GUK Online on 17th June.

This will be an online-only event intended to give us a little FOSS4G fix while we are in, or just coming out of, lock-down. It will be a chance to share some of the work we’ve been doing during (or in spite of) this strange time, as well as a useful experiment in how we can run online conferences alongside our face to face events in the future. 

We hope that the online format will allow our community across the UK and from further afield to participate from their desktops whether it is for the whole day or dipping in and out for an hour or two. We want to make the online event as interactive and engaging as possible so we are open to your suggestions via the Call for Presentations.

Technology
We have decided to use zoom to run this event, we looked at most of the alternatives (open and proprietary) and we concluded that zoom offered the best platform for us to run this event in terms of stability, scalability, features and ease of use for delegates and admins. We have tested on Linux, Mac, Windows, Android and iOS. It is also very reasonably priced so we are able to run the event as a free event for hundreds of delegates, we will probably encourage delegates to make a charitable donation but that will not be mandatory.

Call for Presentations
We welcome technical talks, demos, user stories (particularly ones about the use of FOSS4G tech during the Covid19 crisis), thought pieces... In fact we welcome any talks that are based on Open Source Geo and are not pushing a sales message.

We will also be offering a small number of workshops (ca 90 minutes) which will need to be instruction style rather than fully interactive.

Our call for presentations has been extended until the 18th May, we hope you give us a hard choice choosing what to include in the programme.

Volunteering
We need volunteers to help in the planning and build-up stages and also to help on the big day. If you would like to get involved please fill in the Volunteering form and we will get in touch as the needs arise. 

We would welcome people to assist in programming, marketing, web stuff, design, responding to delegate enquiries, video editing skills, experience of running large meetings or events on zoom and possibly streaming to youtube. Tell us what you can do and we will get back to you

Right now, we need a FOSS4GUK Online logo that incorporates the traditional FOSS4G ribbon. Please send us your ideas.

That’s it for now folks, we look forward to your presentation and workshop submissions, your offers of help and most of all seeing you online at FOSS4GUK online on 17th June.

We will keep posting formal updates on this list, there will be a new event website at uk.osgeo.org in a few days and look out for lots of activity on our twitter account @OSGeoUK

May the FOSS be with you
____________
Steven Feldman and the OSGeo:UK Team
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss

_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4GUK Online

ginetto
sorry yesterday video is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd223Om2zRQdsU1ghRz_zQ/videos

Luigi Pirelli

**************************************************************************************************
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/luigipirelli
* Stackexchange: http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/19667/luigi-pirelli
* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
* Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net
**************************************************************************************************


On Thu, 14 May 2020 at 10:04, Luigi Pirelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI online webinars organised dy QGIS  mexico user groups have the following setup (all video are available here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd223Om2zRQdsU1ghRz_zQ/videos yesterday live is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd223Om2zRQdsU1ghRz_zQ/videos)

- Jitsi meet for speakers
- a Streamer person to who all speakers ar connected with Jitsi meet.
- The streamer person, with a good laptop and good upload network, use OBS to stream his jitsi window + audio directly to a video streaming platform (they use youtube)
Attenders chat and interact using the streaming platform chat, but they can use telegram or something else, but having in the same streaming platform can allow playback having chat recorded
- Every one can enter in jitsi meet (e.g voice questions with or without video) just rising hand => the moderator (e.g. the streamer person) pass him the conference link (shared privatly) to connect to the conf.
- an alternative audio setup with really low latency just for question and discussion is using mumble.

IMHO for a conference there are really good FOSS alternatives to Zoom o other proprietary stuffs.

We (Spanish QGIS user group) are plannign AGM next month using similar setup... adding voting stuffs or via Telegram/polls or via others as star.vote...


regards

Luigi Pirelli

**************************************************************************************************
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/luigipirelli
* Stackexchange: http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/19667/luigi-pirelli
* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
* Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net
**************************************************************************************************


On Fri, 8 May 2020 at 17:33, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Trying a second time because the first post did not seem to get through

Hi

A couple of weeks back the OSGeo:UK team (Jo Cook, Dave Barter, Steven Feldman, Alastair Graham, Antony Scott and Matt Travis) mentioned on twitter that we were trying to put together an online FOSS4G event. 

We are delighted to now formally announce that we will be running FOSS4GUK Online on 17th June.

This will be an online-only event intended to give us a little FOSS4G fix while we are in, or just coming out of, lock-down. It will be a chance to share some of the work we’ve been doing during (or in spite of) this strange time, as well as a useful experiment in how we can run online conferences alongside our face to face events in the future. 

We hope that the online format will allow our community across the UK and from further afield to participate from their desktops whether it is for the whole day or dipping in and out for an hour or two. We want to make the online event as interactive and engaging as possible so we are open to your suggestions via the Call for Presentations.

Technology
We have decided to use zoom to run this event, we looked at most of the alternatives (open and proprietary) and we concluded that zoom offered the best platform for us to run this event in terms of stability, scalability, features and ease of use for delegates and admins. We have tested on Linux, Mac, Windows, Android and iOS. It is also very reasonably priced so we are able to run the event as a free event for hundreds of delegates, we will probably encourage delegates to make a charitable donation but that will not be mandatory.

Call for Presentations
We welcome technical talks, demos, user stories (particularly ones about the use of FOSS4G tech during the Covid19 crisis), thought pieces... In fact we welcome any talks that are based on Open Source Geo and are not pushing a sales message.

We will also be offering a small number of workshops (ca 90 minutes) which will need to be instruction style rather than fully interactive.

Our call for presentations has been extended until the 18th May, we hope you give us a hard choice choosing what to include in the programme.

Volunteering
We need volunteers to help in the planning and build-up stages and also to help on the big day. If you would like to get involved please fill in the Volunteering form and we will get in touch as the needs arise. 

We would welcome people to assist in programming, marketing, web stuff, design, responding to delegate enquiries, video editing skills, experience of running large meetings or events on zoom and possibly streaming to youtube. Tell us what you can do and we will get back to you

Right now, we need a FOSS4GUK Online logo that incorporates the traditional FOSS4G ribbon. Please send us your ideas.

That’s it for now folks, we look forward to your presentation and workshop submissions, your offers of help and most of all seeing you online at FOSS4GUK online on 17th June.

We will keep posting formal updates on this list, there will be a new event website at uk.osgeo.org in a few days and look out for lots of activity on our twitter account @OSGeoUK

May the FOSS be with you
____________
Steven Feldman and the OSGeo:UK Team
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss

_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4GUK Online

Sergio Acosta y Lara
In reply to this post by ginetto

Very interesting this also.


Sergio Acosta y Lara
Departamento de Geomática
Dirección Nacional de Topografía
Ministerio de Transporte y Obras Públicas
URUGUAY
(598)29157933 ints. 20329/20330

De: Discuss <[hidden email]> en nombre de Luigi Pirelli <[hidden email]>
Enviado: jueves, 14 de mayo de 2020 5:04
Para: Steven Feldman
Cc: OSGeo Discussions
Asunto: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4GUK Online
 
FYI online webinars organised dy QGIS  mexico user groups have the following setup (all video are available here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd223Om2zRQdsU1ghRz_zQ/videos yesterday live is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd223Om2zRQdsU1ghRz_zQ/videos)

- Jitsi meet for speakers
- a Streamer person to who all speakers ar connected with Jitsi meet.
- The streamer person, with a good laptop and good upload network, use OBS to stream his jitsi window + audio directly to a video streaming platform (they use youtube)
Attenders chat and interact using the streaming platform chat, but they can use telegram or something else, but having in the same streaming platform can allow playback having chat recorded
- Every one can enter in jitsi meet (e.g voice questions with or without video) just rising hand => the moderator (e.g. the streamer person) pass him the conference link (shared privatly) to connect to the conf.
- an alternative audio setup with really low latency just for question and discussion is using mumble.

IMHO for a conference there are really good FOSS alternatives to Zoom o other proprietary stuffs.

We (Spanish QGIS user group) are plannign AGM next month using similar setup... adding voting stuffs or via Telegram/polls or via others as star.vote...


regards

Luigi Pirelli

**************************************************************************************************
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/luigipirelli
* Stackexchange: http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/19667/luigi-pirelli
* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
* Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net
**************************************************************************************************


On Fri, 8 May 2020 at 17:33, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Trying a second time because the first post did not seem to get through

Hi

A couple of weeks back the OSGeo:UK team (Jo Cook, Dave Barter, Steven Feldman, Alastair Graham, Antony Scott and Matt Travis) mentioned on twitter that we were trying to put together an online FOSS4G event. 

We are delighted to now formally announce that we will be running FOSS4GUK Online on 17th June.

This will be an online-only event intended to give us a little FOSS4G fix while we are in, or just coming out of, lock-down. It will be a chance to share some of the work we’ve been doing during (or in spite of) this strange time, as well as a useful experiment in how we can run online conferences alongside our face to face events in the future. 

We hope that the online format will allow our community across the UK and from further afield to participate from their desktops whether it is for the whole day or dipping in and out for an hour or two. We want to make the online event as interactive and engaging as possible so we are open to your suggestions via the Call for Presentations.

Technology
We have decided to use zoom to run this event, we looked at most of the alternatives (open and proprietary) and we concluded that zoom offered the best platform for us to run this event in terms of stability, scalability, features and ease of use for delegates and admins. We have tested on Linux, Mac, Windows, Android and iOS. It is also very reasonably priced so we are able to run the event as a free event for hundreds of delegates, we will probably encourage delegates to make a charitable donation but that will not be mandatory.

Call for Presentations
We welcome technical talks, demos, user stories (particularly ones about the use of FOSS4G tech during the Covid19 crisis), thought pieces... In fact we welcome any talks that are based on Open Source Geo and are not pushing a sales message.

We will also be offering a small number of workshops (ca 90 minutes) which will need to be instruction style rather than fully interactive.

Our call for presentations has been extended until the 18th May, we hope you give us a hard choice choosing what to include in the programme.

Volunteering
We need volunteers to help in the planning and build-up stages and also to help on the big day. If you would like to get involved please fill in the Volunteering form and we will get in touch as the needs arise. 

We would welcome people to assist in programming, marketing, web stuff, design, responding to delegate enquiries, video editing skills, experience of running large meetings or events on zoom and possibly streaming to youtube. Tell us what you can do and we will get back to you

Right now, we need a FOSS4GUK Online logo that incorporates the traditional FOSS4G ribbon. Please send us your ideas.

That’s it for now folks, we look forward to your presentation and workshop submissions, your offers of help and most of all seeing you online at FOSS4GUK online on 17th June.

We will keep posting formal updates on this list, there will be a new event website at uk.osgeo.org in a few days and look out for lots of activity on our twitter account @OSGeoUK

May the FOSS be with you
____________
Steven Feldman and the OSGeo:UK Team
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss

_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss