FOSS4G2019 WoW

Codrina
Dear friends and FOSS4G enthusiasts,

In preparing your trip to Bucharest, we invite you take a look at the
FOSS4G2019 WoW! [1]

What does WoW stand for? It stands for Words of Wisdom.

We have asked our FOSS4G2019 ambassadors, our geospatial friends, core
members of the open source for geospatial community to answer 3 simple
questions, as they would to a young adult, over a drink.

(1) The Road to Geospatial: How did it all start for you? What was your
first geospatial undertaking?
(2) Conference experiences: Why should one come to FOSS4G and not go to
another geo-event? What was your significant conference experience that
helped you carve your career?
(3) What is your advice for students and young professionals at the
beginning of their journey?

Given their substantial and multi-fold contributions to our geospatial
world of today, it is refreshing to find out that they didn’t know it
all, they didn’t planned it from infancy and they weren’t all A
students. They too struggled, they too had dilemmas and questions,
failed at some, did better at others.

Ever heard of the ‘GRASS GIS book’? Take a look at how it started! Ever
heard of PostGIS? Take a look at the WoWs from it’s founder. Just click
on the photos here [1] and find out the stories.

We are very grateful to all that took the time to answer our request and
we kindly invite you to read their Words of Wisdom.

Warm regards,
Codrina Ilie
FOSS4G2019 Program Chair

[1] https://2019.foss4g.org/about/wow/

Re: FOSS4G2019 WoW

Jachym Cepicky
very wise words, indeed

pá 9. 8. 2019 v 13:21 odesílatel Codrina Maria Ilie
<[hidden email]> napsal:

> Dear friends and FOSS4G enthusiasts,
>
> In preparing your trip to Bucharest, we invite you take a look at the
> FOSS4G2019 WoW! [1]
>
> What does WoW stand for? It stands for Words of Wisdom.
>
> We have asked our FOSS4G2019 ambassadors, our geospatial friends, core
> members of the open source for geospatial community to answer 3 simple
> questions, as they would to a young adult, over a drink.
>
> (1) The Road to Geospatial: How did it all start for you? What was your
> first geospatial undertaking?
> (2) Conference experiences: Why should one come to FOSS4G and not go to
> another geo-event? What was your significant conference experience that
> helped you carve your career?
> (3) What is your advice for students and young professionals at the
> beginning of their journey?
>
> Given their substantial and multi-fold contributions to our geospatial
> world of today, it is refreshing to find out that they didn’t know it
> all, they didn’t planned it from infancy and they weren’t all A
> students. They too struggled, they too had dilemmas and questions,
> failed at some, did better at others.
>
> Ever heard of the ‘GRASS GIS book’? Take a look at how it started! Ever
> heard of PostGIS? Take a look at the WoWs from it’s founder. Just click
> on the photos here [1] and find out the stories.
>
> We are very grateful to all that took the time to answer our request and
> we kindly invite you to read their Words of Wisdom.
>
> Warm regards,
> Codrina Ilie
> FOSS4G2019 Program Chair
>
> [1] https://2019.foss4g.org/about/wow/