FOSS4G2019 Bucharest TGP Application

Vasile Crăciunescu
Dear all,

I'm forwarding you the TGP application for FOSS4G 2019 Global.

As already discussed informally with Steven and Till, we are requesting
15,000$ from OSGeo. We do understand that we have to match that with
15,000$ from BLOC sources and that we have to provide free tickets for
all selected TGP recipients for the main conference, one day of
workshops, gala dinner and ice breaker. We plan to obtain the necessary
financial resources from sponsors. There will be 3 different sizes of
travel grants available:

- €220 Delegates from nearby locations (Central and Eastern Europe);
- €440 Delegates from slightly further afield;
- €880 Delegates from outside of the region;

To be eligible for a TG, applicants should note that:

- Strong preference will be given to Central and Eastern European residents;
- The BLOC wishes to encourage women applicants and others who will
increase the diversity of our attendees;
- Students in disciplines using open source geo applications.

BLOC has a team of volunteers available to administer the selection
process. Several hostels have agreements with BLOC to for FOSS4G
participants but the reservation must be confirmed well in advance.

We are fully committed to take all the above mentioned responsibilities
but we would like to make the Conference Committee Members aware of
several facts:

- When the Bucharest 2019 bid proposal was submitted (late 2017), in our
financial calculations, we follow the 2017 TGP[1], where 10 people
attended FOSS4G2017 with TGP support and where BLOC only "offered
reduced fees for workshop participation". At that time, our commitment
was to support with free tickets all the participants attending the
conference with financial help from TGP.

- One important objective of Bucharest 2019 proposal was to be as
affordable as possible. This is deeply reflected in our budget and in
our final offer for the participants:
    -- The lowest early bird fee in the history of this event (330 Euro);
    --  50% discount for students and participants from low income
countries (up to 100 tickets);
    -- free accommodation for students/volunteers in students dorms;
    -- up to 100 free tickets for volunteers;
    -- free tickets for workshop presenters;

- We aim to award grants for approximately 75 participants. This means a
total financial commitment from BLOC side alone (cash + tickets) of
roughly €41,000. This is considerably higher than our initial estimation
of €10,000, on which our budget was build. Of course, the real value of
the tickets is a little bit less as the standard prices include a small
margin of profit. Though, that margin is really really small as we aim
to offer an historical low price and other discounts. Also, remember
that granting more smaller grants (like €220) we will increase the
number and value of free tickets that BLOC will have to cover.

- BLOC committed to do all the conference work for free. Nobody is paid.
We did hire a PCO but all other work is on volunteer basis. All the
profit, if any, will be transferred to OSGeo. This means that, in the
end, all TGP money are OSGeo's money. At this point, we cannot provide
any guaranties that the event will be a financial success and we will
have a profit to send to OSGeo. Everything looks fine, people are
registering, sponsors are coming, but is still very early to know for sure.

Thank you for the patience of reading this message.

Warm regards,
Vasile
Chair, FOSS4G 2019

Re: FOSS4G2019 Bucharest TGP Application

tadams
Dear Vasile,

many thanks for your application to OSGeo's CC to support the TGP. As
said earlier we definitely want to take a large part of our budget to
support TGP for our gobal event.

I will now request to CC to discuss on the height of the grant.

Regards, Till

Am 02.04.19 um 22:05 schrieb Vasile Craciunescu:

> [...]
> margin of profit. Though, that margin is really really small as we aim
> to offer an historical low price and other discounts. Also, remember
> that granting more smaller grants (like €220) we will increase the
> number and value of free tickets that BLOC will have to cover.
>
> - BLOC committed to do all the conference work for free. Nobody is paid.
> We did hire a PCO but all other work is on volunteer basis. All the
> profit, if any, will be transferred to OSGeo. This means that, in the
> end, all TGP money are OSGeo's money. At this point, we cannot provide
> any guaranties that the event will be a financial success and we will
> have a profit to send to OSGeo. Everything looks fine, people are
> registering, sponsors are coming, but is still very early to know for sure.
>
> Thank you for the patience of reading this message.

SHOGun - das WebGIS Framework.
Jetzt umsteigen! QGIS 3 ist verfügbar.

Mail: [hidden email]
Tel.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 52

terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
Kölnstraße 99
53111 Bonn

Tel.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 51
Fax.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 57

Internet: www.terrestris.de

Amtsgericht Bonn, HRA 6835

Komplementärin: terrestris Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH vertreten durch:
Torsten Brassat, Marc Jansen, Hinrich Paulsen, Till Adams

Informationen über Ihre gespeicherten Daten finden Sie auf unserer
Homepage unter folgendem Link:
https://www.terrestris.de/datenschutzerklaerung/

Re: FOSS4G2019 Bucharest TGP Application

stevenfeldman
An enormous +1000 from me 😀

This is absolutely what the tgp should be imo

Regards
Steven

+44 (0) 7958 924101
Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>>
>> Warm regards,
>> Vasile
>> Chair, FOSS4G 2019

> SHOGun - das WebGIS Framework.
> Jetzt umsteigen! QGIS 3 ist verfügbar.

> Mail: [hidden email]
> Tel.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 52
>
> terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
> Kölnstraße 99
> 53111 Bonn
>
> Tel.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 51
> Fax.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 57
>
> Internet: www.terrestris.de
>
> Amtsgericht Bonn, HRA 6835
>
> Komplementärin: terrestris Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH vertreten durch:
> Torsten Brassat, Marc Jansen, Hinrich Paulsen, Till Adams
>
> Informationen über Ihre gespeicherten Daten finden Sie auf unserer
> Homepage unter folgendem Link:
> https://www.terrestris.de/datenschutzerklaerung/

Re: FOSS4G2019 Bucharest TGP Application

many members of CC voted with "+1", there were no abstentions, no votes
against. With this we can confirm you that OSgeo will support TGP of
FOSS4G Bucharest with 15.000 US $.

Please contact directly to the board on how to call the funds.

Regards and happy to meet you this summer in Bucharest!