FOSS4G for cartography production

Sergio Acosta y Lara

Hi. Where I work we need to find an open alternative to ArcGIS in order to produce maps for printing. We were trying with QGIS but we have problems with labeling linear elements. Is there anyone in the list that has experience with preparing maps for printing with open source software? Does anybody know what is the best FOSS4G for doing this? Tutorials?

Thanks,

Sergio Acosta y Lara
Departamento de Geomática
Dirección Nacional de Topografía
URUGUAY
(598)29157933 ints. 20329/20330

Re: FOSS4G for cartography production

adam steer-2
Hi Sergio

Look at inkscape as a post-QGIS labelling and map tweaking system if you need vector work and typography: https://inkscape.org/

GIMP is for image processing grunt (like Adobe photoshop): https://www.gimp.org

Both are excellent tools for professional print production.

Searching 'QGIS and inkscape' there are many tutorials :)

Regards,

Adam

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 02:04, SERGIO ACOSTAYLARA <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi. Where I work we need to find an open alternative to ArcGIS in order to produce maps for printing. We were trying with QGIS but we have problems with labeling linear elements. Is there anyone in the list that has experience with preparing maps for printing with open source software? Does anybody know what is the best FOSS4G for doing this? Tutorials?

Thanks,

Sergio Acosta y Lara
Departamento de Geomática
Dirección Nacional de Topografía
URUGUAY
(598)29157933 ints. 20329/20330

Re: FOSS4G for cartography production

Eli Adam
Hi Sergio,

Adam recommends a good method for post processing maps.  Before going
to post processing, it is worth trying to get the results you want
within QGIS.  There have been some major labeling improvements and
overhauls over the years giving QGIS some powerful labeling options.
Here are a few links with some information on that:
https://nyalldawson.net/tag/labelling/
http://planet.qgis.org/planet/tag/labels/ (which gives a cloudflare
message but this seems to work:
https://web.archive.org/web/20191202202601/http://planet.qgis.org/planet/tag/labels/
https://web.archive.org/web/20191202201049/http://planet.qgis.org/planet/tag/labeling/

The visual changelog labeling category and going through the various
versions might give some ideas too:
https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/visualchangelog314/index.html#labelling

If you're using QGIS, writing the QGIS user list is more likely to get
detailed responses (from experienced users and developers) than the
discuss list:

Best regards, Eli

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 3:03 PM Adam Steer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sergio
>
> Look at inkscape as a post-QGIS labelling and map tweaking system if you need vector work and typography: https://inkscape.org/
>
> GIMP is for image processing grunt (like Adobe photoshop): https://www.gimp.org
>
> Both are excellent tools for professional print production.
>
> Searching 'QGIS and inkscape' there are many tutorials :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Adam
>
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 02:04, SERGIO ACOSTAYLARA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi. Where I work we need to find an open alternative to ArcGIS in order to produce maps for printing. We were trying with QGIS but we have problems with labeling linear elements. Is there anyone in the list that has experience with preparing maps for printing with open source software? Does anybody know what is the best FOSS4G for doing this? Tutorials?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> Sergio Acosta y Lara
>> Departamento de Geomática
>> Dirección Nacional de Topografía
>> Ministerio de Transporte y Obras Públicas
>> URUGUAY
>> (598)29157933 ints. 20329/20330
>> http://geoportal.mtop.gub.uy/

> Dr. Adam Steer
> http://spatialised.net
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer
> http://au.linkedin.com/in/adamsteer
> http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
> +61 427 091 712 ::  @adamdsteer
>
> Suits are bad for business: http://www.spatialised.net/business-penguins/

Re: FOSS4G for cartography production

Nyall Dawson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi. Where I work we need to find an open alternative to ArcGIS in order to produce maps for printing. We were trying with QGIS but we have problems with labeling linear elements.

I'd be very curious to hear more about this -- particularly if you've
got example screenshots you can take!

> Is there anyone in the list that has experience with preparing maps for printing with open source software? Does anybody know what is the best FOSS4G for doing this? Tutorials?

As others have pointed out, QGIS is really the only choice for
professional cartography in the open source realm, unless you want to
dive in and do things manually... But the good news is that QGIS
**has** a very strong cartographic following, and many many users and
developers who are passionate about making it the best cartographic
tool available (see eg https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/37840). If
you've good suggestions on how to improve QGIS' cartographic
abilities, you should definitely submit them to the project for
consideration.

Nyall

> Thanks,
>

> Sergio Acosta y Lara
> Departamento de Geomática
> Dirección Nacional de Topografía
> Ministerio de Transporte y Obras Públicas
> URUGUAY
> (598)29157933 ints. 20329/20330
> http://geoportal.mtop.gub.uy/

Re: FOSS4G for cartography production

adam steer-2
I should point out that my own usage of inkscape / gimp is because of 'reversion to the familiar' rather than 'QGIS is missing stuff'.

Eli and Nyall are right, QGIS has a *lot* to offer before any need to export and manually touch up!

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 10:46, Adam Steer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I should point out that my own usage of inkscape / gimp is because of 'reversion to the familiar' rather than 'QGIS is missing stuff'.
>
> Eli and Nyall are right, QGIS has a *lot* to offer before any need to export and manually touch up!

And apologies if my reply came across as downplaying the role of
manual/postprocessing cartography -- that wasn't my intention!

Nyall

Re: FOSS4G for cartography production

adam steer-2
Not at all, I wanted to clarify just in case I came across as 'this is a necessary step' and accidentally downplaying QGIS capabilities ;)

Re: FOSS4G for cartography production

Mario Carrera-3

Hi Sergio,

have you tried with advanced labelling on gvSIG? You can access to "Labels defined by user" and at "Placement" button you can select how you want to show the labels (Orientation, Location, Duplicates...). Here you have the Labelling options at the manual:
- Spanish: http://downloads.gvsig.org/download/web/es/build/html/user_manual/2.3/manual/018.html
- English: http://downloads.gvsig.org/download/web/en/build/html/user_manual/2.3/manual/018.html

Placement options are shown at the end of the web page.

Best regards,
  Mario

El 22/7/20 a las 18:04, SERGIO ACOSTAYLARA escribió:

Hi. Where I work we need to find an open alternative to ArcGIS in order to produce maps for printing. We were trying with QGIS but we have problems with labeling linear elements. Is there anyone in the list that has experience with preparing maps for printing with open source software? Does anybody know what is the best FOSS4G for doing this? Tutorials?

Thanks,

Sergio Acosta y Lara
Departamento de Geomática
Dirección Nacional de Topografía
URUGUAY
(598)29157933 ints. 20329/20330

Mario Carrera

gvSIG Association / Asociación gvSIG

http://www.gvsig.com

Antes de imprimir este e-mail piense bien si es necesario hacerlo.

AVISO LEGAL: Este mensaje y sus archivos adjuntos van dirigidos exclusivamente a su destinatario, pudiendo contener información confidencial sometida a secreto profesional. No está permitida su comunicación, reproducción o distribución sin la autorización expresa de la Asociación gvSIG. Si usted no es el destinatario final, por favor elimínelo e infórmenos por esta vía.

PROTECCIÓN DE DATOS: De conformidad con lo dispuesto en las normativas vigentes en protección de datos personales, el Reglamento (UE) 2016/679 de 27 de abril de 2016 (GDPR) y la Ley Orgánica (ES) 15/1999 de 13 de diciembre (LOPD), le informamos que los datos personales y dirección de correo electrónico, recabados del propio interesado o de fuentes públicas, serán tratados bajo la responsabilidad de la Asociación gvSIG para el envío de comunicaciones sobre nuestros productos y servicios y se conservarán mientras exista un interés mutuo para ello. Los datos no serán comunicados a terceros, salvo obligación legal. Le informamos que puede ejercer los derechos de acceso, rectificación, portabilidad y supresión de sus datos y los de limitación y oposición a su tratamiento dirigiéndose enviando un mensaje al correo electrónico a [hidden email]. Si considera que el tratamiento no se ajusta a la normativa vigente, podrá presentar una reclamación ante la autoridad de control en www.agpd.es.

Re: FOSS4G for cartography production

Sergio Acosta y Lara

​Thank you Adam, Eli, Nyall, Mario. We'll study all you sent us and come back to the list (this one or QGIS/gvSIG) if necessary​. And Mario: you know I use gvSIG; but my colleagues are studying all alternatives so as to arrive at the best solution (not necessarily with only one software)

Best,