FOSS4G code sprint planning

Eli Adam
Hi all,

Early bird is expiring in hours so people will probably start knowing
if they are going and making travel plans.  Before making travel
plans, I'd like to know GeoMoose plans.  The OSGeo Code Sprint is
Saturday, 8/19.  Would we go for the same date or try to set another
date?

Merry Mapping, Eli

Re: FOSS4G code sprint planning

Dan Little-2
I'm going to be there. I'm teaching a GM3.0 Workshop.

Would anyone else be interested in doing a GM session? On the day of the code sprint? Maybe Tuesday night do a booze'n'code somewhere?

I'm open minded.

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 5:16 PM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am registered for the conference, no workshops, etc.  Haven't made travel plans yet.

On May 16, 2017 17:15, "Eli Adam" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Early bird is expiring in hours so people will probably start knowing
if they are going and making travel plans.  Before making travel
plans, I'd like to know GeoMoose plans.  The OSGeo Code Sprint is
Saturday, 8/19.  Would we go for the same date or try to set another
date?

Merry Mapping, Eli

Re: FOSS4G code sprint planning

TC Haddad
I'm leaning towards a family activity on Saturday, but if the
code sprint is well defined I can probably make both work.

If another option like a BOF time slot is a possibility,
then that could work too, and could draw in more of
the GeoMoose-curious folks which could be fun?

Tanya

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:16 PM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am registered for the conference, no workshops, etc.  Haven't made travel
> plans yet.
>
> On May 16, 2017 17:15, "Eli Adam" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Early bird is expiring in hours so people will probably start knowing
>> if they are going and making travel plans.  Before making travel
>> plans, I'd like to know GeoMoose plans.  The OSGeo Code Sprint is
>> Saturday, 8/19.  Would we go for the same date or try to set another
>> date?
>>
>> Merry Mapping, Eli

Re: FOSS4G code sprint planning

Eli Adam
It sounds like Tuesday evening and sometime Saturday are our main options.

Tuesday night has the welcome social (not an easy event to compete
with).  I assume that Tuesday afternoon workshops go 1-5pm.  If we
want to have a PSC meeting and discussion instead of code sprint, we
could get together for dinner before the social and hit the social
later.

I didn't readily find Saturday code sprint hours.  I assume that it
will start mid-morning and go until afternoon, evening, or night.  We
could choose a time in that block as well.

I probably slightly favor earlier in the week or earlier in the day on
Saturday.  I am trying to get back to Oregon reasonably soonish after
FOSS4G.

Eli

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm going to be there. I'm teaching a GM3.0 Workshop.
>
> Would anyone else be interested in doing a GM session? On the day of the
> code sprint? Maybe Tuesday night do a booze'n'code somewhere?
>
> I'm open minded.

> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:16 PM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am registered for the conference, no workshops, etc.  Haven't made travel
>> plans yet.
>>
>> On May 16, 2017 17:15, "Eli Adam" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Early bird is expiring in hours so people will probably start knowing
>>> if they are going and making travel plans.  Before making travel
>>> plans, I'd like to know GeoMoose plans.  The OSGeo Code Sprint is
>>> Saturday, 8/19.  Would we go for the same date or try to set another
>>> date?
>>>
>>> Merry Mapping, Eli

Re: FOSS4G code sprint planning

James Klassen-2
I am signed up for whatever socials were included with the early bird.

On May 16, 2017 17:46, "Eli Adam" <[hidden email]> wrote:
It sounds like Tuesday evening and sometime Saturday are our main options.

Tuesday night has the welcome social (not an easy event to compete
with).  I assume that Tuesday afternoon workshops go 1-5pm.  If we
want to have a PSC meeting and discussion instead of code sprint, we
could get together for dinner before the social and hit the social
later.

I didn't readily find Saturday code sprint hours.  I assume that it
will start mid-morning and go until afternoon, evening, or night.  We
could choose a time in that block as well.

I probably slightly favor earlier in the week or earlier in the day on
Saturday.  I am trying to get back to Oregon reasonably soonish after
FOSS4G.

Eli

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:32 PM, TC Haddad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm leaning towards a family activity on Saturday, but if the
> code sprint is well defined I can probably make both work.
>
> If another option like a BOF time slot is a possibility,
> then that could work too, and could draw in more of
> the GeoMoose-curious folks which could be fun?
>
> Tanya

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm going to be there. I'm teaching a GM3.0 Workshop.
>
> Would anyone else be interested in doing a GM session? On the day of the
> code sprint? Maybe Tuesday night do a booze'n'code somewhere?
>
> I'm open minded.

> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:16 PM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am registered for the conference, no workshops, etc.  Haven't made travel
>> plans yet.
>>
>> On May 16, 2017 17:15, "Eli Adam" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Early bird is expiring in hours so people will probably start knowing
>>> if they are going and making travel plans.  Before making travel
>>> plans, I'd like to know GeoMoose plans.  The OSGeo Code Sprint is
>>> Saturday, 8/19.  Would we go for the same date or try to set another
>>> date?
>>>
>>> Merry Mapping, Eli

Re: FOSS4G code sprint planning

Brian Fischer

I’m planning on going but will be doing site seeing stuff on Sat. so earlier in the week meeting would be my only options.

Brian Fischer

GIS Project Manager, Principal

Houston Engineering, Inc.

O 763.493.4522 | D 763.493.6664 | M 763.229.2734

I am signed up for whatever socials were included with the early bird.

On May 16, 2017 17:46, "Eli Adam" <[hidden email]> wrote:

It sounds like Tuesday evening and sometime Saturday are our main options.

Tuesday night has the welcome social (not an easy event to compete
with).  I assume that Tuesday afternoon workshops go 1-5pm.  If we
want to have a PSC meeting and discussion instead of code sprint, we
could get together for dinner before the social and hit the social
later.

I didn't readily find Saturday code sprint hours.  I assume that it
will start mid-morning and go until afternoon, evening, or night.  We
could choose a time in that block as well.

I probably slightly favor earlier in the week or earlier in the day on
Saturday.  I am trying to get back to Oregon reasonably soonish after
FOSS4G.

Eli

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:32 PM, TC Haddad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm leaning towards a family activity on Saturday, but if the
> code sprint is well defined I can probably make both work.
>
> If another option like a BOF time slot is a possibility,
> then that could work too, and could draw in more of
> the GeoMoose-curious folks which could be fun?
>
> Tanya

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm going to be there. I'm teaching a GM3.0 Workshop.
>
> Would anyone else be interested in doing a GM session? On the day of the
> code sprint? Maybe Tuesday night do a booze'n'code somewhere?
>
> I'm open minded.

> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:16 PM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am registered for the conference, no workshops, etc.  Haven't made travel
>> plans yet.
>>
>> On May 16, 2017 17:15, "Eli Adam" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Early bird is expiring in hours so people will probably start knowing
>>> if they are going and making travel plans.  Before making travel
>>> plans, I'd like to know GeoMoose plans.  The OSGeo Code Sprint is
>>> Saturday, 8/19.  Would we go for the same date or try to set another
>>> date?
>>>
>>> Merry Mapping, Eli

Re: FOSS4G code sprint planning

TC Haddad
Since the GeoMoose workshop is Tuesday afternoon, I'm liking Eli's
suggestion of Tuesday evening.

The workshops are at Harvard, and the social later that night is
across the river at Harpoon. So we could transition from the workshop
to an early eatery somewhere near Harvard square and be able to jump
on the T to cross the river from there.

Tanya

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 9:15 AM, Brian Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m planning on going but will be doing site seeing stuff on Sat. so earlier
> in the week meeting would be my only options.
>

> Brian Fischer
>
> GIS Project Manager, Principal
>
> Houston Engineering, Inc.
>
> O 763.493.4522 | D 763.493.6664 | M 763.229.2734

I'm +1 to a Tuesday evening social.

Any suggestions?

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:20 PM, TC Haddad <[hidden email]> wrote:
Since the GeoMoose workshop is Tuesday afternoon, I'm liking Eli's
suggestion of Tuesday evening.

The workshops are at Harvard, and the social later that night is
across the river at Harpoon. So we could transition from the workshop
to an early eatery somewhere near Harvard square and be able to jump
on the T to cross the river from there.

Tanya

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 9:15 AM, Brian Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I’m planning on going but will be doing site seeing stuff on Sat. so earlier
> in the week meeting would be my only options.
>

> Brian Fischer
>
> GIS Project Manager, Principal
>
> Houston Engineering, Inc.

If you want a quiet place for the PSC meeting, you might want to do it
directly after the workshop at the same venue (if they let you) before
you head out into a noisier environment. There are lots of places to
eat around Harvard square - I can get some recommendations from my
sister who is local if we want one.

Or, if you get all the business stuff taken care of in a post-workshop
PSC meeting @ Harvard, you can go directly to Harpoon, where you know
there will be food and drink aplenty.

Tanya

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm +1 to a Tuesday evening social.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:20 PM, TC Haddad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Since the GeoMoose workshop is Tuesday afternoon, I'm liking Eli's
>> suggestion of Tuesday evening.
>>
>> The workshops are at Harvard, and the social later that night is
>> across the river at Harpoon. So we could transition from the workshop
>> to an early eatery somewhere near Harvard square and be able to jump
>> on the T to cross the river from there.
>>
>> Tanya
>>
>> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 9:15 AM, Brian Fischer <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > I’m planning on going but will be doing site seeing stuff on Sat. so
>> > earlier
>> > in the week meeting would be my only options.
>> >

>> > Brian Fischer
>> >
>> > GIS Project Manager, Principal
>> >
>> > Houston Engineering, Inc.
>> >
>> > O 763.493.4522 | D 763.493.6664 | M 763.229.2734

I'll try and email the FOSS4G organizers and see what our time allowance is at Harvard. Given that they are out of session I can imagine one of two scenarios:
a) They won't care and let us use the room until we're done.
b) The facilities folks want us out of there ASAP so they can lock the doors and forget about it for the rest of summer.

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind a quiet spot before Harpoon. Not that I'm a huge introvert or anything but I know after speaking all day that sometimes my sociability circuits get burnt out.  Sometimes I fix the with whisky and cursing...

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:58 PM, TC Haddad <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you want a quiet place for the PSC meeting, you might want to do it
directly after the workshop at the same venue (if they let you) before
you head out into a noisier environment. There are lots of places to
eat around Harvard square - I can get some recommendations from my
sister who is local if we want one.

Or, if you get all the business stuff taken care of in a post-workshop
PSC meeting @ Harvard, you can go directly to Harpoon, where you know
there will be food and drink aplenty.

Tanya

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm +1 to a Tuesday evening social.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:20 PM, TC Haddad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Since the GeoMoose workshop is Tuesday afternoon, I'm liking Eli's
>> suggestion of Tuesday evening.
>>
>> The workshops are at Harvard, and the social later that night is
>> across the river at Harpoon. So we could transition from the workshop
>> to an early eatery somewhere near Harvard square and be able to jump
>> on the T to cross the river from there.
>>
>> Tanya
>>
>> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 9:15 AM, Brian Fischer <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > I’m planning on going but will be doing site seeing stuff on Sat. so
>> > earlier
>> > in the week meeting would be my only options.
>> >

>> > Brian Fischer
>> >
>> > GIS Project Manager, Principal
>> >
>> > Houston Engineering, Inc.

If you are planning to be at the code sprint, remember to sign up at:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_Code_Sprint#Registered_Attendees

On 05/27/2017 09:55 AM, Brian Fischer wrote:

> I’m game for either scenario.  I signed up for the GeoMoose workshop
> so I’ll be there that afternoon.
>

> *Brian Fischer*
>
> GIS Project Manager, Principal
>
> Houston Engineering, Inc.
>
> *O*763.493.4522 | *D* 763.493.6664 | *M* 763.229.2734

And, looking ahead, is there anyone else that'd be interested in Germany in '18? I'm actually thinking about attending FOSSGIS (token American) as a ... "baptism by fire" for my German language skills.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:04 PM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you are planning to be at the code sprint, remember to sign up at:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_Code_Sprint#Registered_Attendees

On 05/27/2017 09:55 AM, Brian Fischer wrote:

> I’m game for either scenario.  I signed up for the GeoMoose workshop
> so I’ll be there that afternoon.
>

> *Brian Fischer*
>
> GIS Project Manager, Principal
>
> Houston Engineering, Inc.

Interested yes, but not necessarily likely.