FOSS4G booth

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FOSS4G booth

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)
I just want to put this back on the viscom radar...

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FOSS4G2007_OSGeo_Booth

We have a substantial spot (two booths together) to work with,  
including no booths across from ours which would be great for a  
lounge or something similar.

Can we start brainstorming in email or the wiki?

_______________________________________________
Viscom-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: FOSS4G booth

Dean Mikkelsen
Hi Tyler,

Sign me up as a volunteer.

Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Tyler Mitchell
(OSGeo)
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 5:20 PM
To: Visibility Committee Discussion List
Subject: [Viscom-dev] FOSS4G booth


I just want to put this back on the viscom radar...

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FOSS4G2007_OSGeo_Booth

We have a substantial spot (two booths together) to work with,  
including no booths across from ours which would be great for a  
lounge or something similar.

Can we start brainstorming in email or the wiki?

_______________________________________________
Viscom-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev

_______________________________________________
Viscom-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G booth

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo)
In reply to this post by Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)

On Tue, July 31, 2007 02:19, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> I just want to put this back on the viscom radar...
>
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FOSS4G2007_OSGeo_Booth
>
>
> We have a substantial spot (two booths together) to work with,
> including no booths across from ours which would be great for a lounge or
> something similar.
>
> Can we start brainstorming in email or the wiki?

Hi,
yes please do this. We have good experience doing it this way at several
occasions in Germany (FOSSGIS, LinuxTag, Intergeo), the links can all be
found in the Wiki. Unfortunately I am painfully inactive in VisCom and
will be for the next 10 days as I am on vacation (yet again, hehe). If
anybody feels full of volunteerism feel free to set up a table or list
where people can sign up and add a short description of what they want to
show. I would suggest to first prioritize OSGeo software and projects by
those who make this FOSS4G possible.

Keep logistics low at the booth. Just make sure to provide space for
notebooks (10?) and connectivity (if Wifi is stable - fine). We have the
OSGeo Flyers for all projects (except gvSIG but they have cool ones
already)

Will join the effort when I am back.

I propose we schedule a VisCom IRC meeting for August 15th 1800 UTC to see
how far we have progressed.

Thanks,

--
Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com

_______________________________________________
Viscom-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G booth

Frank Warmerdam
Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Keep logistics low at the booth. Just make sure to provide space for
> notebooks (10?) and connectivity (if Wifi is stable - fine). We have the
> OSGeo Flyers for all projects (except gvSIG but they have cool ones
> already)

Tyler,

I agree that logistics need not be too complicated.  Power, and a few tables
for notebooks goes a long way.  Along with whatever banners we might have
available and of course pamplets.

I love the idea of a lounge area across the way!

I believe that Mateusz and I will plan to hang about on and off in
the booth as time permits.  I'd like to handle my booth time in an
ad-hoc fashion like last year.

Best regards,
--
---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, [hidden email]
light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush    | President OSGeo, http://osgeo.org

_______________________________________________
Viscom-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: FOSS4G booth

Michael P. Gerlek
+1 to an "agile" booth -- "drop ins" are great, but we do need to make
sure we have people signed up so it is staffed it at all times.

I'll put a signup sheet on the wiki, what are the official Exhibit
hours?

-mpg

 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> Frank Warmerdam
> Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 7:40 AM
> To: [hidden email]; Visibility Committee
> Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [Viscom-dev] FOSS4G booth
>
> Arnulf Christl wrote:
> > Keep logistics low at the booth. Just make sure to provide space for
> > notebooks (10?) and connectivity (if Wifi is stable -
> fine). We have the
> > OSGeo Flyers for all projects (except gvSIG but they have cool ones
> > already)
>
> Tyler,
>
> I agree that logistics need not be too complicated.  Power,
> and a few tables
> for notebooks goes a long way.  Along with whatever banners
> we might have
> available and of course pamplets.
>
> I love the idea of a lounge area across the way!
>
> I believe that Mateusz and I will plan to hang about on and off in
> the booth as time permits.  I'd like to handle my booth time in an
> ad-hoc fashion like last year.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> ---------------------------------------+----------------------
> ----------------
> I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam,
> [hidden email]
> light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
> and watch the world go round - Rush    | President OSGeo,
> http://osgeo.org
>
> _______________________________________________
> Viscom-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
>
_______________________________________________
Viscom-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G booth

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)

On 31-Jul-07, at 8:56 AM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

> +1 to an "agile" booth -- "drop ins" are great, but we do need to make
> sure we have people signed up so it is staffed it at all times.
>
> I'll put a signup sheet on the wiki, what are the official Exhibit
> hours?

I did start a volunteer section on the booth wiki page.
Here's the schedule:

"The exhibition will be open from noon on Tuesday September 25th to  
1pm on Thursday September 27th. The exhibit hall will be available  
for set up on Monday the 24th."

I guess it's open during the whole conference almost...
_______________________________________________
Viscom-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RE: FOSS4G booth

Dean Mikkelsen
In reply to this post by Michael P. Gerlek
Drop-ins seem to always work well at Conventions.
 
It also gives OSGeo the chance to talk about the projects (MapServer, MapGuide, MapBender, etc.) and introduce where people can become involved in the projects and OSGeo itself.
 
There may be many new faces and new people involved - like myself, who are still working through the Open Source world.
 
In many cases, it may just be a chance to meet people face to face and find common ground in an easy open area.
 
I concur with Michael that the booth should be staffed at all times and volunteers should be easily accessible.
 
There should be clear signs indicating that it is an OSGeo booth. Perhaps even have a Desktop with a URL to the OSGeo Site and Wiki.
 
Cheers,
Dean
 
 


----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael P. Gerlek" <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:59 am
Subject: RE: [Viscom-dev] FOSS4G booth
To: Visibility Committee Discussion List <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]

> +1 to an "agile" booth -- "drop ins" are great, but we do need
> to make
> sure we have people signed up so it is staffed it at all times.
>
> I'll put a signup sheet on the wiki, what are the official Exhibit
> hours?
>
> -mpg
>
>  
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: [hidden email]
> > [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> > Frank Warmerdam
> > Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 7:40 AM
> > To: [hidden email]; Visibility Committee
> > Discussion List
> > Subject: Re: [Viscom-dev] FOSS4G booth
> >
> > Arnulf Christl wrote:
> > > Keep logistics low at the booth. Just make sure to provide
> space for
> > > notebooks (10?) and connectivity (if Wifi is stable -
> > fine). We have the
> > > OSGeo Flyers for all projects (except gvSIG but they have
> cool ones
> > > already)
> >
> > Tyler,
> >
> > I agree that logistics need not be too complicated. 
> Power,
> > and a few tables
> > for notebooks goes a long way.  Along with whatever
> banners
> > we might have
> > available and of course pamplets.
> >
> > I love the idea of a lounge area across the way!
> >
> > I believe that Mateusz and I will plan to hang about on and
> off in
> > the booth as time permits.  I'd like to handle my booth
> time in an
> > ad-hoc fashion like last year.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > --
> > ---------------------------------------+----------------------
> > ----------------
> > I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank
> Warmerdam,
> > [hidden email]
> > light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
> > and watch the world go round - Rush    |
> President OSGeo,
> > http://osgeo.org
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Viscom-dev mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Viscom-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
>

Dean C. Mikkelsen, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Mobile/Cellphone: +1 250 361 6672
E-mail: [hidden email]



_______________________________________________
Viscom-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: FOSS4G booth

Michael P. Gerlek
In reply to this post by Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)
Yes, sorry, I meant a signup sheet for specific on-duty hours.

"Noon on Tuesday September 25th to 1pm on Thursday September 27th": what
are the open/close times between those two extrema?


-mpg

 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)
> Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:11 AM
> To: Visibility Committee Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [Viscom-dev] FOSS4G booth
>
>
> On 31-Jul-07, at 8:56 AM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
>
> > +1 to an "agile" booth -- "drop ins" are great, but we do
> need to make
> > sure we have people signed up so it is staffed it at all times.
> >
> > I'll put a signup sheet on the wiki, what are the official Exhibit
> > hours?
>
> I did start a volunteer section on the booth wiki page.
> Here's the schedule:
>
> "The exhibition will be open from noon on Tuesday September 25th to  
> 1pm on Thursday September 27th. The exhibit hall will be available  
> for set up on Monday the 24th."
>
> I guess it's open during the whole conference almost...
> _______________________________________________
> Viscom-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
>
_______________________________________________
Viscom-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G booth

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)
In reply to this post by Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)
I've update the booth page with some images, timing and other notes.  
We need more volunteers, if you can sign up to help it would be  
good.  I created a "Schedule" section with several sign-up slots.

Also, anyone able to help with set up and/or take down?

* Move in: Monday, September 24th - 12:00 to 18:00
* Move out: Thursday, September 27th - 15:00 to 18:00

I threw together some booth layout ideas as well and am working on  
reserving the appropriate equipment.

See - http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FOSS4G2007_OSGeo_Booth
_______________________________________________
Viscom-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: FOSS4G booth

Dean Mikkelsen
Hi Tyler,

I prefer the second booth layout as it allows more people from the aisles to
see the screen, and hence potentially more people will come by the booth.

Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Tyler Mitchell
(OSGeo)
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 5:20 PM
To: Visibility Committee Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Viscom-dev] FOSS4G booth


I've update the booth page with some images, timing and other notes.  
We need more volunteers, if you can sign up to help it would be  
good.  I created a "Schedule" section with several sign-up slots.

Also, anyone able to help with set up and/or take down?

* Move in: Monday, September 24th - 12:00 to 18:00
* Move out: Thursday, September 27th - 15:00 to 18:00

I threw together some booth layout ideas as well and am working on  
reserving the appropriate equipment.

See - http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FOSS4G2007_OSGeo_Booth
_______________________________________________
Viscom-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev

_______________________________________________
Viscom-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G booth

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)
On 4-Sep-07, at 6:45 PM, Dean C. Mikkelsen wrote:

> I prefer the second booth layout as it allows more people from the  
> aisles to
> see the screen, and hence potentially more people will come by the  
> booth.

Hi Dean,
Thanks for the feedback.  I'm leaning toward the first one to help  
reduce congestion.  Food and beverages will be at the back of the  
room (which our booth will be facing) so having it open should still  
draw lots of folks in.  It may very well be that we don't have  
demonstrations on the screen too often either.

See you there?

Tyler
_______________________________________________
Viscom-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev