FOSS4G Sri Lanka -2014 - Event held on 23 Feb 2014

FOSS4G Sri Lanka -2014 - Event held on 23 Feb 2014

nimalika fernando-2

Dear All,

I am happy to inform that FOSS4G Sri Lanka -2014 , the first FOSS4G event of Sri Lanka was held successfully on 23rd February 2014 at SLIIT Malabe Campus.

It was arranged in very informal manner, promoting openness and sharing ideas.

There were 60 participants, out of which 38 were undergraduate students. It was an interesting sight to see the students from University of Colombo, University of Moratuwa, University of Peradeniya, Open University of Sri Lanka , Rajarata University , Sabaragamuwa University and SLIIT joined together in this event. FOSS GIS enthusiasts from all part of the island including North and Eastern provinces have joined with us.

Event consists of

-Keynote address by Dr. Yann

-Seven verbal presentations

-Three posters

-Two lightening talks

-One FOSS4G demo( web  GIS application Development )

All these items showed how FOSS GIS tools are being used to solve real  issues in Sri Lanka.

Additionally, an OSGeo Live presentation was done while 30 copies of OSGeo Live DVDs were freely distributed among interested participants.

We have concluded this enjoyable event by selecting University of Peradeniya, a lovely,green university located in the hill country as the venue for our next meet up which will be schedule within next four months. (Malika will organize the event with support of all the community)

foss4gsrilanka website will be updated with photos of the event and other details within next few days.

I wish to offer a big thank you to all participants and everybody who helped us in making this event a success. Special thanks go to Dr. Yann who have motivated us to arrange this event.

Cheers

Nimalika