FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

Daniel Silk
Hi all

As mentioned at the FOSS4G SotM Oceania meeting yesterday, if you have self-nominated for a Lead position in the Committee Roles and Responsibilities doc, please send through a short response containing:

1. The area you're interested in leading
2. Why it interests you and what you'll bring to the organisation effort
3. If there are any responsibilities that you're uncertain about

Let's take nominations until Friday 15 March. If multiple people are interested in the same role, we'll hold a vote using Election Buddy and appoint based on the result of that vote.

Then soon after 15 March, we'll have our leads and a shiny new logo. See the timeline.

Thanks, and have a great weekend.

Daniel

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

Edoardo Neerhut
Thanks Daniel.

Role
Self nominating as the Sponsorship lead.

Why
I'm excited to get the 2019 conference on a sound financial footing as early as possible. This will enable us to be less constrained in our ambitions and better able to deliver a useful conference for the open source geospatial community. The Good Mojo program will also open the door for value driven initiatives that we might want to run. Lastly, I'm passionate about reducing the financial burden on community contributors who are committing their own funds to be involved. Sponsorship is one of the most effective ways to reduce this burden.

I was involved in the 2018 sponsorship team so I feel I have a good idea of what actions are required to get us the sponsorship we need. My role at Mapillary sees me on the other side of the sponsorship equation regularly and so I have some insights into how we can deliver better value for sponsors in 2019 and make it easier for them to make a decision on whether they commit funds.
Adam and I had a good chat today about learnings from 2018 which we have started to add to Emma's sponsorship doc.

I've seen conferences fail to get the sponsorship they anticipated and this can have cascading effects on a lot of other aspects of the conference. It also creates unnecessary stress for the rest of the team. I want to make sure this doesn't happen.

Responsibilities
I feel pretty clear on what the role entails but happy to discuss at the next meeting. One thing it would be interesting to explore further is the Good Mojo program and how the sponsorship team can support diversity efforts, TGP, childcare and any other efforts we deem a good use of good mojo funds.


I'd love to help other team leads out as well where/whenever I can be of service.

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 13:50, Daniel Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all

As mentioned at the FOSS4G SotM Oceania meeting yesterday, if you have self-nominated for a Lead position in the Committee Roles and Responsibilities doc, please send through a short response containing:

1. The area you're interested in leading
2. Why it interests you and what you'll bring to the organisation effort
3. If there are any responsibilities that you're uncertain about

Let's take nominations until Friday 15 March. If multiple people are interested in the same role, we'll hold a vote using Election Buddy and appoint based on the result of that vote.

Then soon after 15 March, we'll have our leads and a shiny new logo. See the timeline.

Thanks, and have a great weekend.

Daniel
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

Kim Fitter
In reply to this post by Daniel Silk
Hi all,

As per Daniel's email, see below my response:

*Role*
Self nominating as the *Good Mojo lead*.

*Why*
When I attended the conference in Melbourne, one of you said the reason why you are involved in FOSS4G Oceania  is that you wanted to take all the good bits from other conferences you have attended in order to create a really great conference. This approach does require a bit extra time, effort, consensus and consideration which translated in a fantastic first Oceania conference in Melbourne.  That conference experience inspired me to get involved in the  ongoing conference committee.

A couple years ago I changed careers and taught myself to code, and found not all meetups, conferences or events were accessible and welcoming.  My previous career was as a project delivery lead so I have used these skills and this career change experience to help others get into coding.  I founded the R-Ladies meetup Auckland (https://www.meetup.com/rladies-auckland/) chapter in December 2017. We now a have an organising committee of three and we continue to run monthly events to connect that this local community into the wider R-Ladies Global, R and open source communities.  

I believe I can bring these skills and experiences to the Good Mojo lead role.

*Responsibilities*

Overall the lead's responsibilities makes sense. However I would propose splitting them into two sections,  plan deliverables and objectives. See below my questions and suggestions:

Plan deliverables:

  • Travel Grant Program - From the lessons learnt doc, visas were an issue for some applicants and starting the process early with promotion seems key to ensure the TGP is regionally accessible . As a first step, I would propose to review the process with a 2018 committee member with any proposed changes to help set up a really good framework with committee feedback for future conferences. I have also seen one conference offer promo/discount accomodation for attendees, potentially something like this could support applicants that don't fit all criteria ?

  • Community Day* - This deliverable is also under the Program Lead R&R with offer from David to help organise. I propose it is only listed under one lead for tracking purposes. It could align here with mentorship?

  • Mentor Program - Was there one last year? or was this proposed out of LL? If it is new I suggest we review objectives (see below) first and propose a useful and ongoing mentor program that aligns with the objectives.

  • Breakfasts (e.g. WIS / TGP) - These breakfasts and the comms were really well done last year. How did you propose the breakfasts last year, based on direct sponsorship or also committee suggestions?

  • + Pre-events or intro to coding workshops to promote accessiblility and diversity, regionally and/or before the event? Some people may be feel like imposters and reluctant to travel to or pay for a conference if they are new to coding/ geospatial. These would probably need to be free or very low cost, but could be possible with free venues :)


Good Mojo Objectives:

It is not as easy to measure intangibles like accessibility as a plan deliverable and I recognise that these are complex topics so I suggest these are set up as objectives. The good mojo sentiment of the whole committee that underpins these objectives could be captured in and published eg code of conduct, mission statement, logo, brand and used as reference points for all plan deliverables.

  • Environment ( just checking that this refers to the atmosphere of the conference? :)

  • Diversity

  • Accessibility


 
Over an above these responsibilities the lead would also liaise with and assist other leads to convey the good mojo message eg diversity in speakers, welcoming environment through communications, support through sponsorship, accessible childcare options 

Cheers
Kim





On Saturday, 9 March 2019, 09:00:17 GMT+13, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:


Send FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list submissions to

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

You can reach the person managing the list at

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of FOSS4G-Oceania digest..."


Today's Topics:

  1. FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles (Daniel Silk)
  2. Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles (Edoardo Neerhut)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 15:50:27 +1300
From: Daniel Silk <[hidden email]>
To: foss4g-oceania <[hidden email]>
Subject: [FOSS4G-Oceania] FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles
Message-ID:
    <CAEJeMYwTP6=F=oe56Eit8CQYMKaODv76h=5fcyi4aBc19j=[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Hi all

As mentioned at the FOSS4G SotM Oceania meeting yesterday, if you have
self-nominated for a Lead position in the Committee Roles and
Responsibilities
doc,
please send through a short response containing:

1. The area you're interested in leading
2. Why it interests you and what you'll bring to the organisation effort
3. If there are any responsibilities that you're uncertain about

Let's take nominations until Friday 15 March. If multiple people are
interested in the same role, we'll hold a vote using Election Buddy and
appoint based on the result of that vote.

Then soon after 15 March, we'll have our leads and a shiny new logo. See
the timeline
.

Thanks, and have a great weekend.

Daniel
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 16:56:28 +1100
From: Edoardo Neerhut <[hidden email]>
To: Daniel Silk <[hidden email]>
Cc: foss4g-oceania <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles
Message-ID:
    <CABaqJz7U2WW0tQXorg4zKnKDA7=[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Thanks Daniel.

*Role*
Self nominating as the *Sponsorship lead*.

*Why*
I'm excited to get the 2019 conference on a sound financial footing as
early as possible. This will enable us to be less constrained in our
ambitions and better able to deliver a useful conference for the open
source geospatial community. The Good Mojo program will also open the door
for value driven initiatives that we might want to run. Lastly, I'm
passionate about reducing the financial burden on community contributors
who are committing their own funds to be involved. Sponsorship is one of
the most effective ways to reduce this burden.

I was involved in the 2018 sponsorship team so I feel I have a good idea of
what actions are required to get us the sponsorship we need. My role at
Mapillary sees me on the other side of the sponsorship equation regularly
and so I have some insights into how we can deliver better value for
sponsors in 2019 and make it easier for them to make a decision on whether
they commit funds.
Adam and I had a good chat today about learnings from 2018 which we
have started
to add to Emma's sponsorship doc
.

I've seen conferences fail to get the sponsorship they anticipated and this
can have cascading effects on a lot of other aspects of the conference. It
also creates unnecessary stress for the rest of the team. I want to make
sure this doesn't happen.

*Responsibilities*
I feel pretty clear on what the role entails but happy to discuss at the
next meeting. One thing it would be interesting to explore further is the
Good Mojo program and how the sponsorship team can support diversity
efforts, TGP, childcare and any other efforts we deem a good use of good
mojo funds.


I'd love to help other team leads out as well where/whenever I can be of
service.

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 13:50, Daniel Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> As mentioned at the FOSS4G SotM Oceania meeting yesterday, if you have
> self-nominated for a Lead position in the Committee Roles and
> Responsibilities
> please send through a short response containing:
>
> 1. The area you're interested in leading
> 2. Why it interests you and what you'll bring to the organisation effort
> 3. If there are any responsibilities that you're uncertain about
>
> Let's take nominations until Friday 15 March. If multiple people are
> interested in the same role, we'll hold a vote using Election Buddy and
> appoint based on the result of that vote.
>
> Then soon after 15 March, we'll have our leads and a shiny new logo. See
> the timeline
> .
>
> Thanks, and have a great weekend.
>
> Daniel
> _______________________________________________
> FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list


------------------------------

End of FOSS4G-Oceania Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1
*********************************************

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

adam steer-2
In reply to this post by Edoardo Neerhut
Hi Daniel

Apologies for a slow response, I’ve been turning this over a lot. ...and thanks Ed for the great example of what to write! I add one extra item - ‘risks’. 

Role
I’ve self-nominated to chair the program committee

Why
I’m passionate about making OSGeo SotM Oceania different from ‘another industry/science meeting’. The 2018 event is a fantastic base to build on; and will be a hard act to follow. I don’t have any preset ideas about what a program should look like; aside from some loose concepts around embracing the whole community as much as possible, open-mindedness, raising new voices, trying to avoid default options where we can, being open to how the world changes between last time and now; and keeping that heady mix of technical excellence and community-mindedness bubbling away!

The programme committee also has a great set of resources (including everyone reading this right now) to help figure out what will work and what won’t; as well as seeing what boundaries we can push to engage people in new ways (if we need to). 

My aim as chair is to more or less draw on all those resources; and do the legwork which helps other people shine. Help keep barriers to participation as low as possible, keep the programme committees life sane, and support the delivery of a conference that is a success - which in turn supports the main game: promoting, strengthening and building the open geospatial community in Oceania.

Responsibilities I’m uncertain about
From my view the responsibilities of the program chair seem pretty clear - one of which is to delegate as much as possible to, for example, the good mojo/community day team or the academic subcommittee (if one exists); and another of which is to gather as much support as possible for putting the actual program together. There are heaps of uncertainties about how it will all work right at this point, there is no clear idea of what a program might look like - we’ll work it out together!

Risks
I’m waiting to hear about a job move which would see me wind my OSGeo Oceania activities back a lot after about May 2019. I should know this week, but may not find out until later in the month. In the event that happens; I’ll work with the LOC to replace myself/hand over ASAP. 

…or another move which would do the opposite and land me right in ground zero for 2019. So uncertainty abounds.

With that in mind it’d be awesome to have someone nominate themselves as committee co-chair; which there has been some out-of-list discussion about already. From what I saw in 2018 there’s definitely enough work to share around.

Cheers

--

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

Alex Leith
Hey Adam

I'm happy to co-chair/sub-chair with you, if you take the Program Lead role on.

I've got some strong opinions about the format. I think what we did last year worked really well, aside from the panel session, which was good, but was the weakest link.

I think the key components of the program are:
  1. Keynotes - we did well here last year, so let's try to do at least as good this year!
  2. Program - Sessionize sounds like the way to go regarding logistics, and hopefully, again, we have a strong pool of talks to choose from.
  3. Format - again, my opinion, but the format worked well last year. If we can work out how to make the panel session shine, that will round it off!
Also a note that Stephen Lead did an incredible job organising the lightning talks, and I'd suggest we approach him again for this year. He'll probably be ok to be involved from an earlier point too.

Cheers,

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:11 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Daniel

Apologies for a slow response, I’ve been turning this over a lot. ...and thanks Ed for the great example of what to write! I add one extra item - ‘risks’. 

Role
I’ve self-nominated to chair the program committee

Why
I’m passionate about making OSGeo SotM Oceania different from ‘another industry/science meeting’. The 2018 event is a fantastic base to build on; and will be a hard act to follow. I don’t have any preset ideas about what a program should look like; aside from some loose concepts around embracing the whole community as much as possible, open-mindedness, raising new voices, trying to avoid default options where we can, being open to how the world changes between last time and now; and keeping that heady mix of technical excellence and community-mindedness bubbling away!

The programme committee also has a great set of resources (including everyone reading this right now) to help figure out what will work and what won’t; as well as seeing what boundaries we can push to engage people in new ways (if we need to). 

My aim as chair is to more or less draw on all those resources; and do the legwork which helps other people shine. Help keep barriers to participation as low as possible, keep the programme committees life sane, and support the delivery of a conference that is a success - which in turn supports the main game: promoting, strengthening and building the open geospatial community in Oceania.

Responsibilities I’m uncertain about
From my view the responsibilities of the program chair seem pretty clear - one of which is to delegate as much as possible to, for example, the good mojo/community day team or the academic subcommittee (if one exists); and another of which is to gather as much support as possible for putting the actual program together. There are heaps of uncertainties about how it will all work right at this point, there is no clear idea of what a program might look like - we’ll work it out together!

Risks
I’m waiting to hear about a job move which would see me wind my OSGeo Oceania activities back a lot after about May 2019. I should know this week, but may not find out until later in the month. In the event that happens; I’ll work with the LOC to replace myself/hand over ASAP. 

…or another move which would do the opposite and land me right in ground zero for 2019. So uncertainty abounds.

With that in mind it’d be awesome to have someone nominate themselves as committee co-chair; which there has been some out-of-list discussion about already. From what I saw in 2018 there’s definitely enough work to share around.

Cheers

--
Dr. Adam Steer
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
<a href="tel:+61%20427%20091%20712" value="+61427091712" target="_blank">+61 427 091 712
skype: adam.d.steer
tweet: @adamdsteer
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

Cameron Shorter
Great to see people step up, and as I'm mentioned numerous times before, I'm super impressed with the quality of people in our team.

Some thoughts on the subtle differences between leaders/despots/managers.
Great leaders are really good at capturing the collective opinion of the team, helping each member in the team shine and reach their personal goals and potential. It often involves creating space for people to step up. It sometimes involves stepping back from an opinion you might have. It also involves stepping in and taking up the slack and doing the dirty work when no one steps up.

Adam, Alex, I see these characteristics in you both (as I do with the rest of the team), and expect you would make use of these principles? 

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:19, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Adam

I'm happy to co-chair/sub-chair with you, if you take the Program Lead role on.

I've got some strong opinions about the format. I think what we did last year worked really well, aside from the panel session, which was good, but was the weakest link.

I think the key components of the program are:
  1. Keynotes - we did well here last year, so let's try to do at least as good this year!
  2. Program - Sessionize sounds like the way to go regarding logistics, and hopefully, again, we have a strong pool of talks to choose from.
  3. Format - again, my opinion, but the format worked well last year. If we can work out how to make the panel session shine, that will round it off!
Also a note that Stephen Lead did an incredible job organising the lightning talks, and I'd suggest we approach him again for this year. He'll probably be ok to be involved from an earlier point too.

Cheers,

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:11 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Daniel

Apologies for a slow response, I’ve been turning this over a lot. ...and thanks Ed for the great example of what to write! I add one extra item - ‘risks’. 

Role
I’ve self-nominated to chair the program committee

Why
I’m passionate about making OSGeo SotM Oceania different from ‘another industry/science meeting’. The 2018 event is a fantastic base to build on; and will be a hard act to follow. I don’t have any preset ideas about what a program should look like; aside from some loose concepts around embracing the whole community as much as possible, open-mindedness, raising new voices, trying to avoid default options where we can, being open to how the world changes between last time and now; and keeping that heady mix of technical excellence and community-mindedness bubbling away!

The programme committee also has a great set of resources (including everyone reading this right now) to help figure out what will work and what won’t; as well as seeing what boundaries we can push to engage people in new ways (if we need to). 

My aim as chair is to more or less draw on all those resources; and do the legwork which helps other people shine. Help keep barriers to participation as low as possible, keep the programme committees life sane, and support the delivery of a conference that is a success - which in turn supports the main game: promoting, strengthening and building the open geospatial community in Oceania.

Responsibilities I’m uncertain about
From my view the responsibilities of the program chair seem pretty clear - one of which is to delegate as much as possible to, for example, the good mojo/community day team or the academic subcommittee (if one exists); and another of which is to gather as much support as possible for putting the actual program together. There are heaps of uncertainties about how it will all work right at this point, there is no clear idea of what a program might look like - we’ll work it out together!

Risks
I’m waiting to hear about a job move which would see me wind my OSGeo Oceania activities back a lot after about May 2019. I should know this week, but may not find out until later in the month. In the event that happens; I’ll work with the LOC to replace myself/hand over ASAP. 

…or another move which would do the opposite and land me right in ground zero for 2019. So uncertainty abounds.

With that in mind it’d be awesome to have someone nominate themselves as committee co-chair; which there has been some out-of-list discussion about already. From what I saw in 2018 there’s definitely enough work to share around.

Cheers

--
Dr. Adam Steer
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
<a href="tel:+61%20427%20091%20712" value="+61427091712" target="_blank">+61 427 091 712
skype: adam.d.steer
tweet: @adamdsteer
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania


--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier
Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

M +61 (0) 419 142 254




_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

Alex Leith
Hey Cameron

Absolutely agree. From the do-ocracy that we have all experienced last year, to the principles of 'disagree and commit' when decisions don't go one's way, I think that we know that we can make better decisions and get a lot done by working together.

Cheers,

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:30 Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great to see people step up, and as I'm mentioned numerous times before, I'm super impressed with the quality of people in our team.

Some thoughts on the subtle differences between leaders/despots/managers.
Great leaders are really good at capturing the collective opinion of the team, helping each member in the team shine and reach their personal goals and potential. It often involves creating space for people to step up. It sometimes involves stepping back from an opinion you might have. It also involves stepping in and taking up the slack and doing the dirty work when no one steps up.

Adam, Alex, I see these characteristics in you both (as I do with the rest of the team), and expect you would make use of these principles? 

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:19, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Adam

I'm happy to co-chair/sub-chair with you, if you take the Program Lead role on.

I've got some strong opinions about the format. I think what we did last year worked really well, aside from the panel session, which was good, but was the weakest link.

I think the key components of the program are:
  1. Keynotes - we did well here last year, so let's try to do at least as good this year!
  2. Program - Sessionize sounds like the way to go regarding logistics, and hopefully, again, we have a strong pool of talks to choose from.
  3. Format - again, my opinion, but the format worked well last year. If we can work out how to make the panel session shine, that will round it off!
Also a note that Stephen Lead did an incredible job organising the lightning talks, and I'd suggest we approach him again for this year. He'll probably be ok to be involved from an earlier point too.

Cheers,

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:11 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Daniel

Apologies for a slow response, I’ve been turning this over a lot. ...and thanks Ed for the great example of what to write! I add one extra item - ‘risks’. 

Role
I’ve self-nominated to chair the program committee

Why
I’m passionate about making OSGeo SotM Oceania different from ‘another industry/science meeting’. The 2018 event is a fantastic base to build on; and will be a hard act to follow. I don’t have any preset ideas about what a program should look like; aside from some loose concepts around embracing the whole community as much as possible, open-mindedness, raising new voices, trying to avoid default options where we can, being open to how the world changes between last time and now; and keeping that heady mix of technical excellence and community-mindedness bubbling away!

The programme committee also has a great set of resources (including everyone reading this right now) to help figure out what will work and what won’t; as well as seeing what boundaries we can push to engage people in new ways (if we need to). 

My aim as chair is to more or less draw on all those resources; and do the legwork which helps other people shine. Help keep barriers to participation as low as possible, keep the programme committees life sane, and support the delivery of a conference that is a success - which in turn supports the main game: promoting, strengthening and building the open geospatial community in Oceania.

Responsibilities I’m uncertain about
From my view the responsibilities of the program chair seem pretty clear - one of which is to delegate as much as possible to, for example, the good mojo/community day team or the academic subcommittee (if one exists); and another of which is to gather as much support as possible for putting the actual program together. There are heaps of uncertainties about how it will all work right at this point, there is no clear idea of what a program might look like - we’ll work it out together!

Risks
I’m waiting to hear about a job move which would see me wind my OSGeo Oceania activities back a lot after about May 2019. I should know this week, but may not find out until later in the month. In the event that happens; I’ll work with the LOC to replace myself/hand over ASAP. 

…or another move which would do the opposite and land me right in ground zero for 2019. So uncertainty abounds.

With that in mind it’d be awesome to have someone nominate themselves as committee co-chair; which there has been some out-of-list discussion about already. From what I saw in 2018 there’s definitely enough work to share around.

Cheers

--
Dr. Adam Steer
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
<a href="tel:+61%20427%20091%20712" value="+61427091712" target="_blank">+61 427 091 712
skype: adam.d.steer
tweet: @adamdsteer
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania


--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier
Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

M <a href="tel:+61%20419%20142%20254" value="+61419142254" target="_blank">+61 (0) 419 142 254



--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

adam steer-2
hey all

Emma Hain also expressed interest in co-chairing (on both the gdrive doc and off-list) - perhaps I should have written that into the proposal! And Alex - of course your input is welcome and given the risks identified with my ‘chairdom’ I think you should also propose to chair.

to follow due process; if both Alex and Emma have a strong interest as committee co-chair, we should gather proposals and vote as a community. 

we didn’t really define what should happen if there are multiple interests in co-chairing - I think we just assumed that a chair would handpick a team more or less undemocratically (which is also fine) - but I can be, and often am, wrong!

And I agree with Cameron. I’d hoped to express that I’d aim to develop the programme with input from everyone (including 2018’s successful model and feedback from it); and as chair, the key roles are herding the cats and picking up slack (with respect to the fact that everyone is a volunteer here, and everyone has busy other lives).

Cheers

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:38, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Cameron

Absolutely agree. From the do-ocracy that we have all experienced last year, to the principles of 'disagree and commit' when decisions don't go one's way, I think that we know that we can make better decisions and get a lot done by working together.

Cheers,

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:30 Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great to see people step up, and as I'm mentioned numerous times before, I'm super impressed with the quality of people in our team.

Some thoughts on the subtle differences between leaders/despots/managers.
Great leaders are really good at capturing the collective opinion of the team, helping each member in the team shine and reach their personal goals and potential. It often involves creating space for people to step up. It sometimes involves stepping back from an opinion you might have. It also involves stepping in and taking up the slack and doing the dirty work when no one steps up.

Adam, Alex, I see these characteristics in you both (as I do with the rest of the team), and expect you would make use of these principles? 

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:19, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Adam

I'm happy to co-chair/sub-chair with you, if you take the Program Lead role on.

I've got some strong opinions about the format. I think what we did last year worked really well, aside from the panel session, which was good, but was the weakest link.

I think the key components of the program are:
  1. Keynotes - we did well here last year, so let's try to do at least as good this year!
  2. Program - Sessionize sounds like the way to go regarding logistics, and hopefully, again, we have a strong pool of talks to choose from.
  3. Format - again, my opinion, but the format worked well last year. If we can work out how to make the panel session shine, that will round it off!
Also a note that Stephen Lead did an incredible job organising the lightning talks, and I'd suggest we approach him again for this year. He'll probably be ok to be involved from an earlier point too.

Cheers,

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:11 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Daniel

Apologies for a slow response, I’ve been turning this over a lot. ...and thanks Ed for the great example of what to write! I add one extra item - ‘risks’. 

Role
I’ve self-nominated to chair the program committee

Why
I’m passionate about making OSGeo SotM Oceania different from ‘another industry/science meeting’. The 2018 event is a fantastic base to build on; and will be a hard act to follow. I don’t have any preset ideas about what a program should look like; aside from some loose concepts around embracing the whole community as much as possible, open-mindedness, raising new voices, trying to avoid default options where we can, being open to how the world changes between last time and now; and keeping that heady mix of technical excellence and community-mindedness bubbling away!

The programme committee also has a great set of resources (including everyone reading this right now) to help figure out what will work and what won’t; as well as seeing what boundaries we can push to engage people in new ways (if we need to). 

My aim as chair is to more or less draw on all those resources; and do the legwork which helps other people shine. Help keep barriers to participation as low as possible, keep the programme committees life sane, and support the delivery of a conference that is a success - which in turn supports the main game: promoting, strengthening and building the open geospatial community in Oceania.

Responsibilities I’m uncertain about
From my view the responsibilities of the program chair seem pretty clear - one of which is to delegate as much as possible to, for example, the good mojo/community day team or the academic subcommittee (if one exists); and another of which is to gather as much support as possible for putting the actual program together. There are heaps of uncertainties about how it will all work right at this point, there is no clear idea of what a program might look like - we’ll work it out together!

Risks
I’m waiting to hear about a job move which would see me wind my OSGeo Oceania activities back a lot after about May 2019. I should know this week, but may not find out until later in the month. In the event that happens; I’ll work with the LOC to replace myself/hand over ASAP. 

…or another move which would do the opposite and land me right in ground zero for 2019. So uncertainty abounds.

With that in mind it’d be awesome to have someone nominate themselves as committee co-chair; which there has been some out-of-list discussion about already. From what I saw in 2018 there’s definitely enough work to share around.

Cheers

--
Dr. Adam Steer
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
<a href="tel:+61%20427%20091%20712" value="+61427091712" target="_blank">+61 427 091 712
skype: adam.d.steer
tweet: @adamdsteer
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania


--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier
Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

M <a href="tel:+61%20419%20142%20254" value="+61419142254" target="_blank">+61 (0) 419 142 254



--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050


--

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

Alex Leith
Oh, I'm happy not to chair and also happy not to co-chair!

I don't think we should really have formalities around co-chairs... the whole point of the chair is having an individual take responsibility and ownership of a task.

So consider my offer to be one of support!

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 09:04 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
hey all

Emma Hain also expressed interest in co-chairing (on both the gdrive doc and off-list) - perhaps I should have written that into the proposal! And Alex - of course your input is welcome and given the risks identified with my ‘chairdom’ I think you should also propose to chair.

to follow due process; if both Alex and Emma have a strong interest as committee co-chair, we should gather proposals and vote as a community. 

we didn’t really define what should happen if there are multiple interests in co-chairing - I think we just assumed that a chair would handpick a team more or less undemocratically (which is also fine) - but I can be, and often am, wrong!

And I agree with Cameron. I’d hoped to express that I’d aim to develop the programme with input from everyone (including 2018’s successful model and feedback from it); and as chair, the key roles are herding the cats and picking up slack (with respect to the fact that everyone is a volunteer here, and everyone has busy other lives).

Cheers

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:38, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Cameron

Absolutely agree. From the do-ocracy that we have all experienced last year, to the principles of 'disagree and commit' when decisions don't go one's way, I think that we know that we can make better decisions and get a lot done by working together.

Cheers,

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:30 Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great to see people step up, and as I'm mentioned numerous times before, I'm super impressed with the quality of people in our team.

Some thoughts on the subtle differences between leaders/despots/managers.
Great leaders are really good at capturing the collective opinion of the team, helping each member in the team shine and reach their personal goals and potential. It often involves creating space for people to step up. It sometimes involves stepping back from an opinion you might have. It also involves stepping in and taking up the slack and doing the dirty work when no one steps up.

Adam, Alex, I see these characteristics in you both (as I do with the rest of the team), and expect you would make use of these principles? 

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:19, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Adam

I'm happy to co-chair/sub-chair with you, if you take the Program Lead role on.

I've got some strong opinions about the format. I think what we did last year worked really well, aside from the panel session, which was good, but was the weakest link.

I think the key components of the program are:
  1. Keynotes - we did well here last year, so let's try to do at least as good this year!
  2. Program - Sessionize sounds like the way to go regarding logistics, and hopefully, again, we have a strong pool of talks to choose from.
  3. Format - again, my opinion, but the format worked well last year. If we can work out how to make the panel session shine, that will round it off!
Also a note that Stephen Lead did an incredible job organising the lightning talks, and I'd suggest we approach him again for this year. He'll probably be ok to be involved from an earlier point too.

Cheers,

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:11 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Daniel

Apologies for a slow response, I’ve been turning this over a lot. ...and thanks Ed for the great example of what to write! I add one extra item - ‘risks’. 

Role
I’ve self-nominated to chair the program committee

Why
I’m passionate about making OSGeo SotM Oceania different from ‘another industry/science meeting’. The 2018 event is a fantastic base to build on; and will be a hard act to follow. I don’t have any preset ideas about what a program should look like; aside from some loose concepts around embracing the whole community as much as possible, open-mindedness, raising new voices, trying to avoid default options where we can, being open to how the world changes between last time and now; and keeping that heady mix of technical excellence and community-mindedness bubbling away!

The programme committee also has a great set of resources (including everyone reading this right now) to help figure out what will work and what won’t; as well as seeing what boundaries we can push to engage people in new ways (if we need to). 

My aim as chair is to more or less draw on all those resources; and do the legwork which helps other people shine. Help keep barriers to participation as low as possible, keep the programme committees life sane, and support the delivery of a conference that is a success - which in turn supports the main game: promoting, strengthening and building the open geospatial community in Oceania.

Responsibilities I’m uncertain about
From my view the responsibilities of the program chair seem pretty clear - one of which is to delegate as much as possible to, for example, the good mojo/community day team or the academic subcommittee (if one exists); and another of which is to gather as much support as possible for putting the actual program together. There are heaps of uncertainties about how it will all work right at this point, there is no clear idea of what a program might look like - we’ll work it out together!

Risks
I’m waiting to hear about a job move which would see me wind my OSGeo Oceania activities back a lot after about May 2019. I should know this week, but may not find out until later in the month. In the event that happens; I’ll work with the LOC to replace myself/hand over ASAP. 

…or another move which would do the opposite and land me right in ground zero for 2019. So uncertainty abounds.

With that in mind it’d be awesome to have someone nominate themselves as committee co-chair; which there has been some out-of-list discussion about already. From what I saw in 2018 there’s definitely enough work to share around.

Cheers

--
Dr. Adam Steer
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
<a href="tel:+61%20427%20091%20712" value="+61427091712" target="_blank">+61 427 091 712
skype: adam.d.steer
tweet: @adamdsteer
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania


--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier
Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

M <a href="tel:+61%20419%20142%20254" value="+61419142254" target="_blank">+61 (0) 419 142 254



--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050


--
Dr. Adam Steer
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
<a href="tel:+61%20427%20091%20712" value="+61427091712" target="_blank">+61 427 091 712
skype: adam.d.steer
tweet: @adamdsteer
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

adam steer-2
thanks Alex, I see it’s something you’re super passionate about, and as I mentioned 2018 set a high bar - hence the suggestion to put a hat in! It’ll be great to have your input however it rolls.











On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 09:07, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh, I'm happy not to chair and also happy not to co-chair!

I don't think we should really have formalities around co-chairs... the whole point of the chair is having an individual take responsibility and ownership of a task.

So consider my offer to be one of support!

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 09:04 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
hey all

Emma Hain also expressed interest in co-chairing (on both the gdrive doc and off-list) - perhaps I should have written that into the proposal! And Alex - of course your input is welcome and given the risks identified with my ‘chairdom’ I think you should also propose to chair.

to follow due process; if both Alex and Emma have a strong interest as committee co-chair, we should gather proposals and vote as a community. 

we didn’t really define what should happen if there are multiple interests in co-chairing - I think we just assumed that a chair would handpick a team more or less undemocratically (which is also fine) - but I can be, and often am, wrong!

And I agree with Cameron. I’d hoped to express that I’d aim to develop the programme with input from everyone (including 2018’s successful model and feedback from it); and as chair, the key roles are herding the cats and picking up slack (with respect to the fact that everyone is a volunteer here, and everyone has busy other lives).

Cheers

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:38, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Cameron

Absolutely agree. From the do-ocracy that we have all experienced last year, to the principles of 'disagree and commit' when decisions don't go one's way, I think that we know that we can make better decisions and get a lot done by working together.

Cheers,

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:30 Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great to see people step up, and as I'm mentioned numerous times before, I'm super impressed with the quality of people in our team.

Some thoughts on the subtle differences between leaders/despots/managers.
Great leaders are really good at capturing the collective opinion of the team, helping each member in the team shine and reach their personal goals and potential. It often involves creating space for people to step up. It sometimes involves stepping back from an opinion you might have. It also involves stepping in and taking up the slack and doing the dirty work when no one steps up.

Adam, Alex, I see these characteristics in you both (as I do with the rest of the team), and expect you would make use of these principles? 

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:19, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Adam

I'm happy to co-chair/sub-chair with you, if you take the Program Lead role on.

I've got some strong opinions about the format. I think what we did last year worked really well, aside from the panel session, which was good, but was the weakest link.

I think the key components of the program are:
  1. Keynotes - we did well here last year, so let's try to do at least as good this year!
  2. Program - Sessionize sounds like the way to go regarding logistics, and hopefully, again, we have a strong pool of talks to choose from.
  3. Format - again, my opinion, but the format worked well last year. If we can work out how to make the panel session shine, that will round it off!
Also a note that Stephen Lead did an incredible job organising the lightning talks, and I'd suggest we approach him again for this year. He'll probably be ok to be involved from an earlier point too.

Cheers,

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:11 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Daniel

Apologies for a slow response, I’ve been turning this over a lot. ...and thanks Ed for the great example of what to write! I add one extra item - ‘risks’. 

Role
I’ve self-nominated to chair the program committee

Why
I’m passionate about making OSGeo SotM Oceania different from ‘another industry/science meeting’. The 2018 event is a fantastic base to build on; and will be a hard act to follow. I don’t have any preset ideas about what a program should look like; aside from some loose concepts around embracing the whole community as much as possible, open-mindedness, raising new voices, trying to avoid default options where we can, being open to how the world changes between last time and now; and keeping that heady mix of technical excellence and community-mindedness bubbling away!

The programme committee also has a great set of resources (including everyone reading this right now) to help figure out what will work and what won’t; as well as seeing what boundaries we can push to engage people in new ways (if we need to). 

My aim as chair is to more or less draw on all those resources; and do the legwork which helps other people shine. Help keep barriers to participation as low as possible, keep the programme committees life sane, and support the delivery of a conference that is a success - which in turn supports the main game: promoting, strengthening and building the open geospatial community in Oceania.

Responsibilities I’m uncertain about
From my view the responsibilities of the program chair seem pretty clear - one of which is to delegate as much as possible to, for example, the good mojo/community day team or the academic subcommittee (if one exists); and another of which is to gather as much support as possible for putting the actual program together. There are heaps of uncertainties about how it will all work right at this point, there is no clear idea of what a program might look like - we’ll work it out together!

Risks
I’m waiting to hear about a job move which would see me wind my OSGeo Oceania activities back a lot after about May 2019. I should know this week, but may not find out until later in the month. In the event that happens; I’ll work with the LOC to replace myself/hand over ASAP. 

…or another move which would do the opposite and land me right in ground zero for 2019. So uncertainty abounds.

With that in mind it’d be awesome to have someone nominate themselves as committee co-chair; which there has been some out-of-list discussion about already. From what I saw in 2018 there’s definitely enough work to share around.

Cheers

--
Dr. Adam Steer
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
<a href="tel:+61%20427%20091%20712" value="+61427091712" target="_blank">+61 427 091 712
skype: adam.d.steer
tweet: @adamdsteer
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania


--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier
Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

M <a href="tel:+61%20419%20142%20254" value="+61419142254" target="_blank">+61 (0) 419 142 254



--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050


--
Dr. Adam Steer
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
<a href="tel:+61%20427%20091%20712" value="+61427091712" target="_blank">+61 427 091 712
skype: adam.d.steer
tweet: @adamdsteer
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050


--

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

Martin Tomko
In reply to this post by Alex Leith

Dear all,

Fantastic folks willing to chair/co-chair, very happy with that, but – I would like to see a greater involvement of the NZ crew, which then will be reflected in the format and content. I think this is the point of the conferences wandering around – there is some consistency, yet diversity.

 

In academia, there is often 2-4 program co-chairs ( this is program, not organisation), where 2 at least are local or new. Helps to bring new blood into the fold. It may be good to have more program co-chairs then ( possibly with allocated responsibilities, such as lightning talks, academic track, etc).

 

Thanks,

Martin

 

From: FOSS4G-Oceania <[hidden email]> on behalf of Alex Leith <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, 15 March 2019 at 9:07 am
To: adam steer <[hidden email]>
Cc: foss4g-oceania <[hidden email]>, Emma Hain <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

 

Oh, I'm happy not to chair and also happy not to co-chair!

 

I don't think we should really have formalities around co-chairs... the whole point of the chair is having an individual take responsibility and ownership of a task.

 

So consider my offer to be one of support!

 

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 09:04 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:

hey all

 

Emma Hain also expressed interest in co-chairing (on both the gdrive doc and off-list) - perhaps I should have written that into the proposal! And Alex - of course your input is welcome and given the risks identified with my ‘chairdom’ I think you should also propose to chair.

 

to follow due process; if both Alex and Emma have a strong interest as committee co-chair, we should gather proposals and vote as a community. 

 

we didn’t really define what should happen if there are multiple interests in co-chairing - I think we just assumed that a chair would handpick a team more or less undemocratically (which is also fine) - but I can be, and often am, wrong!

 

And I agree with Cameron. I’d hoped to express that I’d aim to develop the programme with input from everyone (including 2018’s successful model and feedback from it); and as chair, the key roles are herding the cats and picking up slack (with respect to the fact that everyone is a volunteer here, and everyone has busy other lives).

 

Cheers

 

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:38, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Cameron

 

Absolutely agree. From the do-ocracy that we have all experienced last year, to the principles of 'disagree and commit' when decisions don't go one's way, I think that we know that we can make better decisions and get a lot done by working together.

 

Cheers,

 

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:30 Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Great to see people step up, and as I'm mentioned numerous times before, I'm super impressed with the quality of people in our team.

 

Some thoughts on the subtle differences between leaders/despots/managers.

Great leaders are really good at capturing the collective opinion of the team, helping each member in the team shine and reach their personal goals and potential. It often involves creating space for people to step up. It sometimes involves stepping back from an opinion you might have. It also involves stepping in and taking up the slack and doing the dirty work when no one steps up.

 

Adam, Alex, I see these characteristics in you both (as I do with the rest of the team), and expect you would make use of these principles? 

 

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:19, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Adam

 

I'm happy to co-chair/sub-chair with you, if you take the Program Lead role on.

 

I've got some strong opinions about the format. I think what we did last year worked really well, aside from the panel session, which was good, but was the weakest link.

 

I think the key components of the program are:

  1. Keynotes - we did well here last year, so let's try to do at least as good this year!
  2. Program - Sessionize sounds like the way to go regarding logistics, and hopefully, again, we have a strong pool of talks to choose from.
  3. Format - again, my opinion, but the format worked well last year. If we can work out how to make the panel session shine, that will round it off!

Also a note that Stephen Lead did an incredible job organising the lightning talks, and I'd suggest we approach him again for this year. He'll probably be ok to be involved from an earlier point too.

 

Cheers,

 

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 08:11 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Daniel

 

Apologies for a slow response, I’ve been turning this over a lot. ...and thanks Ed for the great example of what to write! I add one extra item - ‘risks’. 

 

Role

I’ve self-nominated to chair the program committee

 

Why

I’m passionate about making OSGeo SotM Oceania different from ‘another industry/science meeting’. The 2018 event is a fantastic base to build on; and will be a hard act to follow. I don’t have any preset ideas about what a program should look like; aside from some loose concepts around embracing the whole community as much as possible, open-mindedness, raising new voices, trying to avoid default options where we can, being open to how the world changes between last time and now; and keeping that heady mix of technical excellence and community-mindedness bubbling away!

 

The programme committee also has a great set of resources (including everyone reading this right now) to help figure out what will work and what won’t; as well as seeing what boundaries we can push to engage people in new ways (if we need to). 

 

My aim as chair is to more or less draw on all those resources; and do the legwork which helps other people shine. Help keep barriers to participation as low as possible, keep the programme committees life sane, and support the delivery of a conference that is a success - which in turn supports the main game: promoting, strengthening and building the open geospatial community in Oceania.

 

Responsibilities I’m uncertain about

From my view the responsibilities of the program chair seem pretty clear - one of which is to delegate as much as possible to, for example, the good mojo/community day team or the academic subcommittee (if one exists); and another of which is to gather as much support as possible for putting the actual program together. There are heaps of uncertainties about how it will all work right at this point, there is no clear idea of what a program might look like - we’ll work it out together!

 

Risks

I’m waiting to hear about a job move which would see me wind my OSGeo Oceania activities back a lot after about May 2019. I should know this week, but may not find out until later in the month. In the event that happens; I’ll work with the LOC to replace myself/hand over ASAP. 

 

…or another move which would do the opposite and land me right in ground zero for 2019. So uncertainty abounds.

 

With that in mind it’d be awesome to have someone nominate themselves as committee co-chair; which there has been some out-of-list discussion about already. From what I saw in 2018 there’s definitely enough work to share around.

 

Cheers

 

--

Dr. Adam Steer

http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
<a href="tel:&#43;61%20427%20091%20712" target="_blank">+61 427 091 712
skype: adam.d.steer

tweet: @adamdsteer

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania

--

 

Alex Leith

0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania


 

--

Cameron Shorter

Technology Demystifier

Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

 

M <a href="tel:&#43;61%20419%20142%20254" target="_blank">+61 (0) 419 142 254

 

 

--

 

Alex Leith

0419 189 050


 

--

Dr. Adam Steer

http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
<a href="tel:&#43;61%20427%20091%20712" target="_blank">+61 427 091 712
skype: adam.d.steer

tweet: @adamdsteer

--

 

Alex Leith

0419 189 050


_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

Dionne Hansen
In reply to this post by Daniel Silk

Hello FOSS4G Organising Committee,


Please find my expression of interest below.


Thanks,

Dionne Hansen



1. The area you're interested in leading


Design and Communication Lead


2. Why it interests you and what you'll bring to the organisation effort


I’m keen to fill this spot on the organizing committee as I’ve had fun developing these skills in recent years while being on the New Zealand Women In Spatial organizing committee. In addition to event organization, I have been writing for the Women In Spatial blog for over a year now - and run the committee’s comms in collaboration with one of the other committee members.  


I'm an enthusiast by nature and I believe in the philosophy of FOSS4G so I'm excited to be a cheerleader and advocate for this conference. I'm eager to help give the conference an outward identity in the form of social media engagement, website content, merch, and printed materials. I'll bring tenacity and humour to the role and a desire to problem solve, collaborate, and learn from others. I’m highly organized and will ensure the design and comms deadlines are met. I’ve already begun the FOSS4G SotM 2019 comms with an official email announcement and several tweets promoting the logo competition and voting rounds with great response so far.


3. If there are any responsibilities that you're uncertain about


I have a solid understanding of what the role requires of me and I have plans for how I will address the items I have not specifically carried out before i.e. Signage. I will enlist the help of the committee member who held the role before me or people within my own organisation with relevant experience to enlighten me of potential roadblocks or tips for getting these things done.  


As I’ve got experience putting on events in the past I’m also happy to help out on any of the other teams needing an extra set of hands.



_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

adam steer-2
Hi Dionne

fantastic - it’ll be great to have your input on how the conference looks and feels and speaks to the world.

Cheers

Adam

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 09:49, Dionne Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello FOSS4G Organising Committee,


Please find my expression of interest below.


Thanks,

Dionne Hansen



1. The area you're interested in leading


Design and Communication Lead


2. Why it interests you and what you'll bring to the organisation effort


I’m keen to fill this spot on the organizing committee as I’ve had fun developing these skills in recent years while being on the New Zealand Women In Spatial organizing committee. In addition to event organization, I have been writing for the Women In Spatial blog for over a year now - and run the committee’s comms in collaboration with one of the other committee members.  


I'm an enthusiast by nature and I believe in the philosophy of FOSS4G so I'm excited to be a cheerleader and advocate for this conference. I'm eager to help give the conference an outward identity in the form of social media engagement, website content, merch, and printed materials. I'll bring tenacity and humour to the role and a desire to problem solve, collaborate, and learn from others. I’m highly organized and will ensure the design and comms deadlines are met. I’ve already begun the FOSS4G SotM 2019 comms with an official email announcement and several tweets promoting the logo competition and voting rounds with great response so far.


3. If there are any responsibilities that you're uncertain about


I have a solid understanding of what the role requires of me and I have plans for how I will address the items I have not specifically carried out before i.e. Signage. I will enlist the help of the committee member who held the role before me or people within my own organisation with relevant experience to enlighten me of potential roadblocks or tips for getting these things done.  


As I’ve got experience putting on events in the past I’m also happy to help out on any of the other teams needing an extra set of hands.


_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania


--

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

Cameron Shorter
In reply to this post by Dionne Hansen

Hi Dionne,

I can provide you with a little help, to the level of being a sounding board sometimes, and reviewing material.

Cheers, Cameron

On 15/3/19 9:48 am, Dionne Hansen wrote:

Hello FOSS4G Organising Committee,

Please find my expression of interest below.


Thanks,

Dionne Hansen



1. The area you're interested in leading


Design and Communication Lead


2. Why it interests you and what you'll bring to the organisation effort


I’m keen to fill this spot on the organizing committee as I’ve had fun developing these skills in recent years while being on the New Zealand Women In Spatial organizing committee. In addition to event organization, I have been writing for the Women In Spatial blog for over a year now - and run the committee’s comms in collaboration with one of the other committee members.  


I'm an enthusiast by nature and I believe in the philosophy of FOSS4G so I'm excited to be a cheerleader and advocate for this conference. I'm eager to help give the conference an outward identity in the form of social media engagement, website content, merch, and printed materials. I'll bring tenacity and humour to the role and a desire to problem solve, collaborate, and learn from others. I’m highly organized and will ensure the design and comms deadlines are met. I’ve already begun the FOSS4G SotM 2019 comms with an official email announcement and several tweets promoting the logo competition and voting rounds with great response so far.


3. If there are any responsibilities that you're uncertain about


I have a solid understanding of what the role requires of me and I have plans for how I will address the items I have not specifically carried out before i.e. Signage. I will enlist the help of the committee member who held the role before me or people within my own organisation with relevant experience to enlighten me of potential roadblocks or tips for getting these things done.  


As I’ve got experience putting on events in the past I’m also happy to help out on any of the other teams needing an extra set of hands.



_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
-- 
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier
Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

John Bryant
I'm not nominating for any lead roles, but I will be very pleased to provide my support wherever it's needed. Looking forward to it!

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

Daniel Silk
Thanks to all who have participated in this process and discussion.

I am pleased to appoint the following people:

- Program Lead: Adam Steer
- Good Mojo Lead: Kim Fitter
- Design & Communications Lead: Dionne Hansen
- Sponsorship Lead: Ed Neerhut

Thank you for putting your hands up to help out. :-)

That leaves the Local & Logistics Lead vacant. Tania Hibbard-Nitz has pencilled her name down for that role - just waiting on some news before she can commit.

A few people have noted the lack of kiwis currently involved in the program area. I'm sure we'll be able to get organisers with a local perspective involved in specific aspects of the program as we progress. It's a pretty daunting lead role to take on for anyone that is completely new to this, so I'm grateful to have those with experience from last year to take it on and provide support within that subcommittee.

If all leads could have a look at the timeline, work out what their next steps are and add / amend as required, that'd be great prep for our Thursday meeting.

Cheers
Daniel

PS. Gmail flagged Kim's reply to this thread as spam for me - if anyone else missed it, check your Spam folder!


_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

adam steer-2
Thanks Daniel

..and I'm sorry Kim, gmail sent your response to spam for me also and now it’s gone :/

re. lack of kiwis - in the spirit of 'if you think something needs to be done differently say so, AND always say how you’d do it differently’: if you noted the lack of kiwis in program organising and are a kiwi, drop me a line and come on board. It’s not my show, it's yours! (or the community’s).

...as per my ‘risks’ section - you may end up running the show! So it’s also great to have Alex offer to help.

I’m an apology for Thursday, sorry - but I’ll look at the timeline beforehand.

Cheers

Adam








On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 at 11:10, Daniel Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks to all who have participated in this process and discussion.

I am pleased to appoint the following people:

- Program Lead: Adam Steer
- Good Mojo Lead: Kim Fitter
- Design & Communications Lead: Dionne Hansen
- Sponsorship Lead: Ed Neerhut

Thank you for putting your hands up to help out. :-)

That leaves the Local & Logistics Lead vacant. Tania Hibbard-Nitz has pencilled her name down for that role - just waiting on some news before she can commit.

A few people have noted the lack of kiwis currently involved in the program area. I'm sure we'll be able to get organisers with a local perspective involved in specific aspects of the program as we progress. It's a pretty daunting lead role to take on for anyone that is completely new to this, so I'm grateful to have those with experience from last year to take it on and provide support within that subcommittee.

If all leads could have a look at the timeline, work out what their next steps are and add / amend as required, that'd be great prep for our Thursday meeting.

Cheers
Daniel

PS. Gmail flagged Kim's reply to this thread as spam for me - if anyone else missed it, check your Spam folder!

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania


--

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

Kim Fitter
In reply to this post by Daniel Silk
ICYMI Here is a link to my response  with all my thoughts and questions!




Cheers
Kim

On Tuesday, 19 March 2019, 08:01:08 GMT+13, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:


Send FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list submissions to

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

You can reach the person managing the list at

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of FOSS4G-Oceania digest..."


Today's Topics:

  1. Re: FOSS4G-Oceania Digest, Vol 10, Issue 10 (Tania Hibbard-Nitz)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 05:46:21 +1300
From: Tania Hibbard-Nitz <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] FOSS4G-Oceania Digest, Vol 10, Issue 10
Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

Hi Daniel

I sent out a brief outline of my interest for the Local & Logistics Lead
yesterday.  Although not quite sure what happened with the subject heading.
Thanks
Tania Hibbard-Nitz

-----Original Message-----
From: FOSS4G-Oceania <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of
Sent: Monday, 18 March 2019 10:04 PM
Subject: FOSS4G-Oceania Digest, Vol 10, Issue 10

Send FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list submissions to

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

You can reach the person managing the list at

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
"Re: Contents of FOSS4G-Oceania digest..."


Today's Topics:

  1. Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles (Daniel Silk)
  2. Re: FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles (adam steer)
  3. Re: FOSS4G-Oceania Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1 (Tania Hibbard-Nitz)
  4. OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity? Your    feedback,
      please (John Bryant)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 13:10:21 +1300
From: Daniel Silk <[hidden email]>
To: John Bryant <[hidden email]>
Cc: foss4g-oceania <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Thanks to all who have participated in this process and discussion.

I am pleased to appoint the following people:

- Program Lead: Adam Steer
- Good Mojo Lead: Kim Fitter
- Design & Communications Lead: Dionne Hansen
- Sponsorship Lead: Ed Neerhut

Thank you for putting your hands up to help out. :-)

That leaves the Local & Logistics Lead vacant. Tania Hibbard-Nitz has
pencilled her name down for that role - just waiting on some news before she
can commit.

A few people have noted the lack of kiwis currently involved in the program
area. I'm sure we'll be able to get organisers with a local perspective
involved in specific aspects of the program as we progress. It's a pretty
daunting lead role to take on for anyone that is completely new to this, so
I'm grateful to have those with experience from last year to take it on and
provide support within that subcommittee.

If all leads could have a look at the timeline
work out what their next steps are and add / amend as required, that'd be
great prep for our Thursday meeting.

Cheers
Daniel

PS. Gmail flagged Kim's reply to this thread as spam for me - if anyone else
missed it, check your Spam folder!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 11:30:25 +1100
From: adam steer <[hidden email]>
To: Daniel Silk <[hidden email]>
Cc: John Bryant <[hidden email]>, foss4g-oceania
Subject: Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles
Message-ID:
    <CAFORoygaOgRtG9CgxO=+[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Thanks Daniel

..and I'm sorry Kim, gmail sent your response to spam for me also and now it’s
gone :/

re. lack of kiwis - in the spirit of 'if you think something needs to be
done differently say so, AND always say how you’d do it differently’: if you
noted the lack of kiwis in program organising and are a kiwi, drop me a line
and come on board. It’s not my show, it's yours! (or the community’s).

...as per my ‘risks’ section - you may end up running the show! So it’s also
great to have Alex offer to help.

I’m an apology for Thursday, sorry - but I’ll look at the timeline
beforehand.

Cheers

Adam








On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 at 11:10, Daniel Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks to all who have participated in this process and discussion.
>
> I am pleased to appoint the following people:
>
> - Program Lead: Adam Steer
> - Good Mojo Lead: Kim Fitter
> - Design & Communications Lead: Dionne Hansen
> - Sponsorship Lead: Ed Neerhut
>
> Thank you for putting your hands up to help out. :-)
>
> That leaves the Local & Logistics Lead vacant. Tania Hibbard-Nitz has
> pencilled her name down for that role - just waiting on some news
> before she can commit.
>
> A few people have noted the lack of kiwis currently involved in the
> program area. I'm sure we'll be able to get organisers with a local
> perspective involved in specific aspects of the program as we progress.
> It's a pretty daunting lead role to take on for anyone that is
> completely new to this, so I'm grateful to have those with experience
> from last year to take it on and provide support within that subcommittee.
>
> If all leads could have a look at the timeline
> RjFxw9oH2SjAis/>, work out what their next steps are and add / amend
> as required, that'd be great prep for our Thursday meeting.
>
> Cheers
> Daniel
>
> PS. Gmail flagged Kim's reply to this thread as spam for me - if
> anyone else missed it, check your Spam folder!
>
> _______________________________________________
> FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
>


--
Dr. Adam Steer
+61 427 091 712
skype: adam.d.steer
tweet: @adamdsteer
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 15:08:04 +1300
From: Tania Hibbard-Nitz <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] FOSS4G-Oceania Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1
Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

Hi all

Below is a brief outline of why I have put my name forward for one of the
areas.

1. The area you're interested in leading Local and Logistics Lead


2. Why it interests you and what you'll bring to the organisation effort
Geospatial Open Source has been a major influence in my life over the last
10 years.  My husband also has over 30 years with spatial solutions.
Having previously part-owned a spatial business which we sold a couple of
years ago and recently set up another spatial business focusing on
geospatial open source solutions, logistics have been a key factor in both
businesses.

Being an accountant with continuous improvement experience has also required
me to discuss and provide the most efficient way forward for internal and
external stakeholders not only for financial improvement but also for
process and system improvement.

I found participating in the FOSS4G-Ocenia conference in Melbourne last year
overseeing the volunteers, these tasks within this area were closely aligned
to ensuring that things ran smoothly on the day.
Having assisted or independently organising conferences, events or training
sessions in the past, I found and continue to find this challenging and
enjoyable as one of the key goals is to ensure that attendees have a great
experience and that there are minimal disruptions internally.


3. If there are any responsibilities that you're uncertain about No issues
at this time.  I would however touch base with those that undertook these
tasks last year to identify what worked and what did not work.
If unsure of anything further down the track, I will ask for feedback from
the group.

Thanks
Tania Hibbard-Nitz

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 15:50:27 +1300
From: Daniel Silk <[hidden email]>
To: foss4g-oceania <[hidden email]>
Subject: [FOSS4G-Oceania] FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles
Message-ID:
    <CAEJeMYwTP6=F=oe56Eit8CQYMKaODv76h=5fcyi4aBc19j=[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Hi all

As mentioned at the FOSS4G SotM Oceania meeting yesterday, if you have
self-nominated for a Lead position in the Committee Roles and
Responsibilities
doc,
please send through a short response containing:

1. The area you're interested in leading 2. Why it interests you and what
you'll bring to the organisation effort 3. If there are any responsibilities
that you're uncertain about

Let's take nominations until Friday 15 March. If multiple people are
interested in the same role, we'll hold a vote using Election Buddy and
appoint based on the result of that vote.

Then soon after 15 March, we'll have our leads and a shiny new logo. See the
timeline
.

Thanks, and have a great weekend.

Daniel


------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 17:01:10 +0800
From: John Bryant <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email], foss4g-oceania
    talk-nz <[hidden email]>,  OSM Australian Talk List
    <[hidden email]>,
Subject: [FOSS4G-Oceania] OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity?
    Your    feedback, please
Message-ID:
    <CAHY5hn-=XHG4VDh=[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Hi all,

As promised, following on the heels of the successful FOSS4G SotM Oceania
conference <https://foss4g-oceania.org/> in November 2018, we have embarked
on a journey to lay down a strong foundation for the growth of this
community. In addition to planning a new instance of the conference in
Wellington, New Zealand, for November 2019, we are also doing significant
ground work on establishing a not-for-profit that can manage funds, enter
into agreements, and act as a local chapter of OSGeo and OSMF.

We have developed a recommendation for an initial path forward, and we'd
like you, the community, to provide your feedback. If you have experience or
knowledge here, and can provide insight, or wish to contribute your
thoughts, please chime in. Your comments are most welcome, and can be
provided by responding to this email, or by commenting in the Google Doc.

The draft recommendation is attached as a PDF, and a live Google Doc version
is linked here
We will take input until the end of next week (29 March). At that point,
we'll make adjustments where warranted, and hopefully be in a position to
raise a motion to the OSGeo Oceania board to accept the recommendation, and
begin the process.

If this is all new to you, and you're wondering what the heck OSGeo Oceania
even is, please check out this basic wiki page
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Oceania> that will give you a bit of
background. We'll be fleshing this out in the coming months, but I hope it
gives you enough of an idea. We will certainly be aiming to increase our
outreach, and get people involved from across the region.

Any questions, please ask!

Cheers
John Bryant
on behalf of OSGeo Oceania
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Proposal for Entity Structure.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 109872 bytes
Desc: not available
URL:

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list


------------------------------

End of FOSS4G-Oceania Digest, Vol 10, Issue 10
**********************************************


------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list


------------------------------

End of FOSS4G-Oceania Digest, Vol 10, Issue 11
**********************************************

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania