FOSS4G-SOTM-Oceania: conference length and dates

FOSS4G-SOTM-Oceania: conference length and dates

John Bryant
Hi all,

At our upcoming committee meeting, we'll hopefully come to some kind of decision on:
  • conference length (for the 'conference' component, exclusive of pre-conf workshops and post-conf code sprint/hackathon/mapathon)
  • conference dates
Discussion around length, so far, has focused on 2 options, either one day or two (for a total event length of either 3 or 4 days).

My personal preference would be to see two days for the conference proper, as I think with both FOSS4G and SOTM components, and a broad region (Oceania), there is the potential for a lot of content... I think one day wouldn't be enough time to cover it without spreading across too many competing streams/sessions.

One argument for one day is that it would be less of an organisational burden, which is a fair point.

Surely there are other arguments for one or the other option, or perhaps even additional options that haven't come up... it would be great to have some input on this mailing list before we meet next week to make a decision.

Thoughts?

Re: FOSS4G-SOTM-Oceania: conference length and dates

Cameron Shorter

My thoughts on the first regional FOSS4G conference (in a long while) is that the primary goal is to make sure it is successful. With FOSS4G 2009 we over-estimated the number of attendees by close to a factor of 2. There were multiple reasons for this [1], but a key lesson was to make sure the conference goals are achievable and sustainable.

As such, I'd err on selecting shorter, lower cost, lower barrier to entry (which results in being more selective of presentations and providing less higher quality presentations rather than more). I'd prefer to be sold out rather than having a conference full of empty seats.

Lets see how many people we can attract into the conference in the first year before over-committing. We can build up numbers in following years.

Cheers, Cameron

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Lessons_Learned

On 13/12/17 8:24 am, John Bryant wrote:
[...]

Technology Demystifier, Learnosity
Open Technologies Consultant

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G-SOTM-Oceania: conference length and dates

Rob Atkinson

These things are always balancing acts - maybe its worth polling around what people want to get out of things.

As a user or service provider or developer - i want to see trends - who is using what and where the action is.
As a developer i want to highlight what and why and hopefully find users and stop other re-inventing a wheel and becoming contributors
As a user I want to know how people are using tools and who might be available to provide support for particular aspects
As a service provider i want warts-and-all experiences of deployment with real lessons being shared

Having to choose between 10 long workshops run once, or  5 short workshops run for 20% of the time and repeated - the latter - people can always organise in depth training sessions, but FOSS4G should be about visibility into the broader community. Employers might want to send to a detailed course in a specific tech - so longer workshops before and after - bit not organised by committee (but maybe with bundled entry to FOSS4G )?

2c...

Rob

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 at 08:40 Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

M <a href="tel:0419%20142%20254" value="+61419142254" target="_blank">+61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G-SOTM-Oceania: conference length and dates

Alex Leith
Hi All

I'm with Cameron, and I think we would be better to aim modestly and easily achieve it rather than go for too much and find it hard!

If we go for a one day conference this year, and it works well and we know the demand is there and how big it is, then we can do it bigger next year.

That's my view.

Cheers,

Alex

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 at 09:12 Rob Atkinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

0419 189 050

Re: FOSS4G-SOTM-Oceania: conference length and dates

dwsilk
I see a number of benefits in a two day conference.

Some attendees will not be interested in attending the pre-conf workshops or post-conf code sprint so two days of conference material makes travel costs more viable. It also creates a logical conference dinner slot between the two conference days, and a logical slot for an icebreaker type get together on the evening of the workshops. The recent QGIS event in Sydney was great but I really would have appreciated more time to network - with a one day conference, a lot of people will be catching flights immediately before and after which closes the door on these opportunities.

FOSS4G covers a broad range of software and topics, and we have SotM also. Covering all of this in one day would seem like a huge squeeze to me.
We could start by finding out how many potential talks we have just from those that have been involved in the early discussions..? Could we even fit that into a day?

Cheers
Daniel

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 at 08:40 Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

M +61 (0) 419 142 254<tel:0419%20142%20254>

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

________________________________

This message contains information, which may be in confidence and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or [hidden email]) and destroy the original message. LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ. Thank You.

Re: FOSS4G-SOTM-Oceania: conference length and dates

Robert Coup

My 2c - a one-day conference is a struggle to justify travel-wise, particularly from NZ <-> AU (maybe also from outside Victoria?).

I doubt there's any shortage of presenters and quality content to fill 2 (or even 3) days of talks, plus a day of workshops.

Rob :)

Re: FOSS4G-SOTM-Oceania: conference length and dates

Philip Mallis

Hi everyone,

I agree that one day is difficult to justify for travel, especially for academics/PhD students who only get limited numbers of conferences funded. If we want to attract a wide range of participants (which I think is ideal), two days would be a good length to kick off the first conference. If necessary, we can expand to three in the future if necessary.

Philip

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

My 2c - a one-day conference is a struggle to justify travel-wise, particularly from NZ <-> AU (maybe also from outside Victoria?).

I doubt there's any shortage of presenters and quality content to fill 2 (or even 3) days of talks, plus a day of workshops.

Rob :)

Re: FOSS4G-SOTM-Oceania: conference length and dates

adam steer-2
Hi all

noting Cameron’s experience, and reading this thread - I’m also leaning toward two ‘conference’ days - perhaps one day could be ‘SoTM’ focussed and the other day ‘FOSS4G’ focussed? although there will be plenty of cross-fertilisation. These could, of course, be run in parallel but (being selfish here) I really hate having to choose, and inevitably miss cool things in parallel sessions.

Two days would require a minimum of 24 speakers (3 x 0.5hr slots for 4 sessions each day), which should be feasible.

However, I haven’t done any homework on the budget impact of 2 days vs 1 day - how does that affect registration cost etc.

Cheers

Adam

Re: FOSS4G-SOTM-Oceania: conference length and dates

Brent Wood-2
If the venue costs are pretty minimal, as intimated in the video conference, costs may not increase much for two days vs one, but we do need this confirmed.
Do we want all sessions fully booked with presentations, or allow a late afternoon one for ad-hoc BoF type meetings?
If we allow for Bof meetings, are these just arranged on the day or will we let people propose them in advance?
Do we organise a dinner for the middle evening?

Yep, getting sessions sorted to avoid concurrent competing ones is tricky...

Are we looking for a committee accepting presentations proposals, or organising an "attendee vote", like some FOSS4G''s have done. I like the participatory approach - a very FOSS-like one :-)

Cheers

Brent Wood