FOSS4G-NA 2019 TGP request thread

jody.garnett
I would like to setup a travel-grant-program for foss4g-na 2019, giving me a chance to try out the cookbook wiki page. For the application criteria I trust this email thread will suffice, or do you wish a wiki page setup?

Feedback and notes:
- it would be helpful to have numbers (rather than bullet points) in the cook book to facilitate email discussion.

1. LOC will provide funding, have some sponsor interest and will promote crowdfunding.
- I will double back with the LOC on budget. Given dependence on sponsor/crowdfunding places a risk on assuring the conference committee LOC will "at least" match amount requested

2. Full free conference passes will be made available to recipients.
- If this is a requirement, I assume you are asking LOC to restate the requirement that free conference passes are made available
- just to be clear this requirement takes us over the "at least" matching from point #1?

3. Estimate the anticipated number of grants and their size
- some guidance needed on what is appropriate?
- stating the obvious, due to #2 travel grant funding is based on accommodation and travel rather than conference pass

4. Set out the broad criteria
- general criteria is to promote diversity, specific direction is welcome

5. Team of volunteers being assembled now, existing team of 1-3 will seek assistance of CC members to jump start the selection process

6. Accommodation options are listed on the website
- Not sure about the requirement to vette as safe and secure (the website lists nearby neighbourhoods for airbnb stays)

7. Outline how travel grants are paid
- Michael had some strong guidance on what he would accept after previous years experience  (I think it amounted to paying in person when they show up at the conference but we can double check)

--
Jody Garnett

Re: FOSS4G-NA 2019 TGP request thread

stevenfeldman
See comments in line below

Hope this helps
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org

Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild” newsletter

On 21 Feb 2019, at 23:28, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would like to setup a travel-grant-program for foss4g-na 2019, giving me a chance to try out the cookbook wiki page. For the application criteria I trust this email thread will suffice, or do you wish a wiki page setup?

Feedback and notes:
- it would be helpful to have numbers (rather than bullet points) in the cook book to facilitate email discussion.
Changed to numbered paragraphs

1. LOC will provide funding, have some sponsor interest and will promote crowdfunding.
- I will double back with the LOC on budget. Given dependence on sponsor/crowdfunding places a risk on assuring the conference committee LOC will "at least" match amount requested
There is a risk and I don’t think the intention is to in any way penalise the LOC if they are unable to reach their target - the intention is to make this a joint endeavour rather than all of the funding coming from the TGP

2. Full free conference passes will be made available to recipients.
- If this is a requirement, I assume you are asking LOC to restate the requirement that free conference passes are made available
Correct - in a previous year the TGP was asked to pay the cost of the conference passes for grant recipients which reduced the effectiveness of our funds. Hence our requirement to be explicit about this
- just to be clear this requirement takes us over the "at least" matching from point #1?
Agreed. The objective is that LOC provides equal cash to the grant from OSGeo TGP and in addition provides conference passes for recipients

3. Estimate the anticipated number of grants and their size
- some guidance needed on what is appropriate?
- stating the obvious, due to #2 travel grant funding is based on accommodation and travel rather than conference pass
Example:
LOC decides to offer 6 grants of $500 plus 2 grants of $1,000 total cost $5,000 plus 8 free conference passes.
LOC applies for a grant of $2,500 from OSGeo TGP

4. Set out the broad criteria
- general criteria is to promote diversity, specific direction is welcome
Choices are up to LOC. Suggestion you might want to be explicit about what diversity characteristics you wish to focus on to constrain the number of applications

5. Team of volunteers being assembled now, existing team of 1-3 will seek assistance of CC members to jump start the selection process
CC will support you. We have a template application form which you can copy and modify. We have a suggested methodology that you can use which saves you reinventing the wheel

6. Accommodation options are listed on the website
- Not sure about the requirement to vette as safe and secure (the website lists nearby neighbourhoods for airbnb stays)
Objective is to suggest low(wish) cost accommodation for TGP recipients which is safe and secure (I think this arose from some concerns about suggested hostels in previous years)

7. Outline how travel grants are paid
- Michael had some strong guidance on what he would accept after previous years experience  (I think it amounted to paying in person when they show up at the conference but we can double check)
CC view is that grants should be paid when recipients arrive but we recognise that some people may need part of their grant up front. The choice is yours. We recommend electronic payment as we are uncomfortable with anyone having to manage large amounts of cash

--
Jody Garnett

Re: FOSS4G-NA 2019 TGP request thread

jody.garnett
Thanks Steven, replies inline.
--
Jody Garnett
- it would be helpful to have numbers (rather than bullet points) in the cook book to facilitate email discussion.
Changed to numbered paragraphs

Thanks!
3. Estimate the anticipated number of grants and their size
- some guidance needed on what is appropriate?
- stating the obvious, due to #2 travel grant funding is based on accommodation and travel rather than conference pass
Example:
LOC decides to offer 6 grants of $500 plus 2 grants of $1,000 total cost $5,000 plus 8 free conference passes.
LOC applies for a grant of $2,500 from OSGeo TGP

Thanks that helps, I will establish a budget and then work backwards. I also need a better understanding of airfare and accommodation costs for the event.  I prefer the idea of this being an assist rather than completely covering expenses.
5. Team of volunteers being assembled now, existing team of 1-3 will seek assistance of CC members to jump start the selection process
CC will support you. We have a template application form which you can copy and modify. We have a suggested methodology that you can use which saves you reinventing the wheel

Yes this is the key thing, even more so then the financial support.
6. Accommodation options are listed on the website
- Not sure about the requirement to vette as safe and secure (the website lists nearby neighbourhoods for airbnb stays)
Objective is to suggest low(wish) cost accommodation for TGP recipients which is safe and secure (I think this arose from some concerns about suggested hostels in previous years)

We are going to do our best to stay out of recommending specific accommodation.
7. Outline how travel grants are paid
- Michael had some strong guidance on what he would accept after previous years experience  (I think it amounted to paying in person when they show up at the conference but we can double check)
CC view is that grants should be paid when recipients arrive but we recognise that some people may need part of their grant up front. The choice is yours. We recommend electronic payment as we are uncomfortable with anyone having to manage large amounts of cash.

We may be able to handle that on a case by case basis, if for example airfare needs to be booked.

--
Jody Garnett

Re: FOSS4G-NA 2019 TGP request thread

stevenfeldman
Jody

Look forward to receiving your application on CC list

BTW: Till has not yet formally opened the call for applications for regional events, but expect it very soon
______

On 22 Feb 2019, at 18:03, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

tadams
Hi,

will do ASAP, struggling a little bit with some urgnt work. but wil ldo
this week.

Till

Am 25.02.19 um 14:02 schrieb Steven Feldman:

> [...]
>>     Objective is to suggest low(wish) cost accommodation for TGP
>>     recipients which is safe and secure (I think this arose from some
>>     concerns about suggested hostels in previous years)
>>

>> We are going to do our best to stay out of recommending specific
>> accommodation.
>>
>>>     7. Outline how travel grants are paid
>>>     - Michael had some strong guidance on what he would accept after
>>>     previous years experience  (I think it amounted to paying in
>>>     person when they show up at the conference but we can double check)
>>     CC view is that grants should be paid when recipients arrive but
>>     we recognise that some people may need part of their grant up
>>     front. The choice is yours. We recommend electronic payment as we
>>     are uncomfortable with anyone having to manage large amounts of cash.
>>

>> We may be able to handle that on a case by case basis, if for example

SHOGun - das WebGIS Framework.
Jetzt umsteigen! QGIS 3 ist verfügbar.

Mail: [hidden email]
Tel.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 52

terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
Kölnstraße 99
53111 Bonn

Tel.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 51
Fax.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 57

Internet: www.terrestris.de

Amtsgericht Bonn, HRA 6835

Komplementärin: terrestris Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH vertreten durch:
Torsten Brassat, Marc Jansen, Hinrich Paulsen, Till Adams

Informationen über Ihre gespeicherten Daten finden Sie auf unserer
Homepage unter folgendem Link:
https://www.terrestris.de/datenschutzerklaerung/