FOSS4G MailChimp account

Vasile Crăciunescu
Dear colleagues,

I hope my email finds you well. I will like to ask your opinion on a
item that can be associated with the Conference Committee. At least
since Boston, the various LOC of FOSS4G global are using MaiChimp [1]
for communication with potential participants, register participants and
the sponsors. The account is passed from one LOC to another without any
formal agreement. There are more than 5000 contacts subscribed to this
channel, all past participants at FOSS4G international or FOSS4G-NA. All
agreed to be subscribed and receive communication from OSGeo/LOCs
regarding FOSS4G topics. Compliance with GDPR [2] is also assured.

My question to you if is not better to have OSGeo take over this account
and provide access to FOSS4G LOC's. Why I'm saying this:

1. By having no formal way of handling this there is a chance to loose
the account (lists, templates, campaigns reports, etc) in case of bad
communication among the LOC's.

2. The account is not a big financial burden for the LOC (approx
77$/month) but at transition time some glitches can occur. E.g. last
year, Mark paid for 1-2 months from his pocket because BLOC was slow to
react and replace his card in the account settings. This can be avoid if
OSGeo take care of the account.

3. The account can be also used by the important regional FOSS4G events
like FOSS4G-NA and FOSS4G-Europe. There are mechanism to have separate
campaigns and target the subscribes geographically.

Of course, no LOC can be forced to use MailChimp for communication
purposes. Is just an idea, in the context os OSGeo budget discussion, to
make things easy for the future LOCs. What do you think?

-Vasile

[1] https://mailchimp.com
[2] https://eugdpr.org

Re: FOSS4G MailChimp account

stevenfeldman
I think this is a great idea both from ensuring continuity and sustainability for future FOSS4G’s and also from a GDPR standpoint (the group of GDPR volunteers have not forgotten that we need to get OSGeo to be full GDPR compliant!!)
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org
@MapsintheWild

On 24 Jan 2019, at 09:53, Vasile Craciunescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

michael terner-2
+1

I think this is a great idea. Of course, it'd also be great if some "best practices" and how-to materials accompanied this transition (e.g., how to create a new campaign, how to open access to individual conferences [e.g., there might be two conferences using the list concurrently], etc.). The only downside I see is that the list could potentially erode due to opt outs emanating from regional events hitting the whole list. For instance, if I'm in the USA and I start getting lots of emails for European events, I may choose to opt out, and then I'd be off the global list too. Or, perhaps, a best practice would be to require/strongly suggest regional filtering for regional events, i.e., in my European event example, they'd filter to only mail to European countries.

Just some thoughts that this is not necessarily as simple as it seems, and we should think about the best practices and a smooth implementation. Who/what committee from OSGeo might be considered to "own" this resource?

My $.02...

MT

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 7:43 AM Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

(M) 978-631-6602

Re: FOSS4G MailChimp account

Eli Adam
I agree this is a good idea.  I also echo Michael's comments and think that it is probably best to have separate lists for separate events (even if managed through the same MailChimp account).

"tech" things that have regular bills are usually "owned" by SAC or at least SAC owns the paying the bill part.  We could ask SAC.  Managing the account seems like a conference committee duty, at least for the global FOSS4G.

Best regards, Eli

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 7:14 AM michael terner <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Msilikale Msilanga
+1

It is a good idea especially that African community who did not have any information regarding OSGeo before are now following up updates on FOSS4G conferences. It is only because of that now many African community want to participate into the FOSS4G conferences.

I also agree with [hidden email]

Best,

Msilikale

On 24 Jan 2019, at 2:49 PM, Guido Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Amanda Taub
I assist in running the Mailchimp account for Washington URISA. It is very possible to have separate email lists for different regions and for OSGeo overall. It is easy enough to setup these lists and create an opt-in page.

Amanda

Amanda H.S. Taub, GISP
Central Washington GIS User Group  (CWGIS) Organizer

Washington URISA (WAURISA) Marketing Volunteer
Marketing Lead for 2019 Washington GIS Conference
URISA Marketing Committee Volunteer
URISA Social Media Work Group Chair
FOSS4G 2020 Calgary Local Organizing Committee Member

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 10:53 AM Msilikale Msilanga <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jachym Cepicky
+1 to anything, what helps

čt 24. 1. 2019 v 22:22 odesílatel Amanda Taub <[hidden email]> napsal:
[...]

e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com

Re: FOSS4G MailChimp account

Cameron Shorter

+1 Great idea for reasons already mentioned.

On 25/1/19 8:56 pm, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
[...]

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G MailChimp account

Jeffrey Johnson
Im +1 too ... and managing the FOSS4G-NA list now ... which could not be handed over from Eclipse for policy reasons.

I do however recall some 'complaints' on the discuss list about Mailchimp 'tracking' with links. Im sure if this were brought up there, someone would have something to say against it. Thats about par for the course though I guess?

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 11:28 AM Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jonathan Moules-4

Given no-one else appears to be against the tracking, I guess I'll put my oar in.

Isn't this counter to the spirit of Open Source and the freedoms that FOSS is meant to encompass? Certainly I know that Richard Stallman takes great exception to being tracked, and generally speaking his track record on why we shouldn't give up our freedoms readily is pretty much spot-on. The "Free" in FOSS is liberty, not price.

Is it right to sacrifice the end users privacy in this manner? It may meet the letter of the GDPR, but it seems counter to the spirit. So I'd say tracking should definitely be disabled.

Cheers,

Jonathan