FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

Peteris
Dear Board,

this mail comes from FOSS4G Europe Local team. I am Peteris Bruns the Chair of FOSS4G Europe 2020.

https://2020.europe.foss4g.org/

We would like to ask for seed funds for FOSS4G-Europe 2020 which we are organizing for July 2020.

We are expecting 200-300+ attendees.

We already have some expenses we have that we would like to cover. Some expenses we have already covered by our company, and moust likely we will continue in some cases, but we would be happy to reduce this dependency. So we would like to ask OSGeo for seed 2.000 Euro money. We will pay the money back after the event.

It would be great if you could find a descission in the board meeting today. Please notice that Codrina Maria Ilie and Astrid Emde are also in the organizing committee.

With greetings from rainy Latvian winter,

--
Peteris Bruns

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

Till Adams-3

Dear Peteris,

I am not sure, whether we had the case before, that a local chapter asked OSGeo for seed money for their regional conference, but maybe the older colleagues of the board may remember.

If you ask me, I see no problems with helping out from the OSGeo side, but as said, maybe the colleagues know better about such cases than I do.

Nevertheless, I have one quesiton: For our global FOSS4G events OSGeo also helps LOC's with seed money and then these are usually amounts between 20 and 40 k (recently even more). In this case, OSGeo claims at least 80% of the surplus of the conference. Do you have a plan, what should happen with a (potential) surplus of the european confernece?

Thanks, Till

Am 27.01.20 um 16:32 schrieb Peteris Bruns:
[...]

Jachym Cepicky
Hi Till and all,

as far as I remember (as previous board member and long-time shadowing
chair of FOSS4G-Europe), seed money was always granted (under the
condition, it will be returned back).

Just my 0.02

Thank you

Jachym

čt 30. 1. 2020 v 18:07 odesílatel Till Adams <[hidden email]> napsal:

> Dear Peteris,
>
> I am not sure, whether we had the case before, that a local chapter asked OSGeo for seed money for their regional conference, but maybe the older colleagues of the board may remember.
>
> If you ask me, I see no problems with helping out from the OSGeo side, but as said, maybe the colleagues know better about such cases than I do.
>
> Nevertheless, I have one quesiton: For our global FOSS4G events OSGeo also helps LOC's with seed money and then these are usually amounts between 20 and 40 k (recently even more). In this case, OSGeo claims at least 80% of the surplus of the conference. Do you have a plan, what should happen with a (potential) surplus of the european confernece?
>
> Thanks, Till
>

> Am 27.01.20 um 16:32 schrieb Peteris Bruns:
>
> Dear Board,
>
> this mail comes from FOSS4G Europe Local team. I am Peteris Bruns the Chair of FOSS4G Europe 2020.
>
> https://2020.europe.foss4g.org/
>
> We would like to ask for seed funds for FOSS4G-Europe 2020 which we are organizing for July 2020.
>
> We are expecting 200-300+ attendees.
>
> We already have some expenses we have that we would like to cover. Some expenses we have already covered by our company, and moust likely we will continue in some cases, but we would be happy to reduce this dependency. So we would like to ask OSGeo for seed 2.000 Euro money. We will pay the money back after the event.
>
> It would be great if you could find a descission in the board meeting today. Please notice that Codrina Maria Ilie and Astrid Emde are also in the organizing committee.
>
> With greetings from rainy Latvian winter,
>
> --
> Peteris Bruns

Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

Michael Smith
Till,

We have provided seed funding to a regional conference, eg FOSS4G-NA.

Mike

--
Michael Smith
OSGeo Treasurer

On 1/30/20, 12:24 PM, "Board on behalf of Jachym Cepicky" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi Till and all,

    as far as I remember (as previous board member and long-time shadowing
    chair of FOSS4G-Europe), seed money was always granted (under the
    condition, it will be returned back).

    Just my 0.02

    Thank you

    Jachym

    čt 30. 1. 2020 v 18:07 odesílatel Till Adams <[hidden email]> napsal:

    > Dear Peteris,
    >
    > I am not sure, whether we had the case before, that a local chapter asked OSGeo for seed money for their regional conference, but maybe the older colleagues of the board may remember.
    >
    > If you ask me, I see no problems with helping out from the OSGeo side, but as said, maybe the colleagues know better about such cases than I do.
    >
    > Nevertheless, I have one quesiton: For our global FOSS4G events OSGeo also helps LOC's with seed money and then these are usually amounts between 20 and 40 k (recently even more). In this case, OSGeo claims at least 80% of the surplus of the conference. Do you have a plan, what should happen with a (potential) surplus of the european confernece?
    >
    > Thanks, Till
    >
    >
    >
    > Am 27.01.20 um 16:32 schrieb Peteris Bruns:
    >
    > Dear Board,
    >
    > this mail comes from FOSS4G Europe Local team. I am Peteris Bruns the Chair of FOSS4G Europe 2020.
    >
    > https://2020.europe.foss4g.org/
    >
    > We would like to ask for seed funds for FOSS4G-Europe 2020 which we are organizing for July 2020.
    >
    > We are expecting 200-300+ attendees.
    >
    > We already have some expenses we have that we would like to cover. Some expenses we have already covered by our company, and moust likely we will continue in some cases, but we would be happy to reduce this dependency. So we would like to ask OSGeo for seed 2.000 Euro money. We will pay the money back after the event.
    >
    > It would be great if you could find a descission in the board meeting today. Please notice that Codrina Maria Ilie and Astrid Emde are also in the organizing committee.
    >
    > With greetings from rainy Latvian winter,
    >
    > --
    > Peteris Bruns

    Jachym Cepicky
    e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

Till Adams-3
Michael,

cool, do we need a board decision on this or is it a more "just do it" ;-) ?

Till

Am 30.01.20 um 18:28 schrieb Michael Smith:

> [...]
>     >
>     > With greetings from rainy Latvian winter,
>     >
>     > --
>     > Peteris Bruns
>     >
>     > Board mailing list
>     > [hidden email]
>     > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
>     >
>     > Board mailing list
>     > [hidden email]
>     > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
>

>     --
>     Jachym Cepicky
>     e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com
>     GPG: http://les-ejk.cz/pgp/JachymCepicky.pgp

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

Hi Till,

We hope that own company won’t need to fund much more this event outside couple of hundreds of hour work and extra many thousands to reach break even for this conference. :) as we plan to keep conference budget as low as possible so that people can afford it, very likely we won’t have surplus for conference. So it won’t be biggest issue to commit for 80% potential surplus to be paid back for OSGeo. If there is as example big losses of let’s say -5000 is there option seed money become actually grant? Currently not knowing of participant readiness to join event in north eu region could feel bigger concern than surplus for conference.

In any case we understand and accept rule of paying 80% of surplus would be ok.

Best,

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 at 09:50, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     >
>     > We would like to ask for seed funds for FOSS4G-Europe 2020 which we are organizing for July 2020.
>     >
>     > We are expecting 200-300+ attendees.
>     >
>     > We already have some expenses we have that we would like to cover. Some expenses we have already covered by our company, and moust likely we will continue in some cases, but we would be happy to reduce this dependency. So we would like to ask OSGeo for seed 2.000 Euro money. We will pay the money back after the event.
>     >
>     > It would be great if you could find a descission in the board meeting today. Please notice that Codrina Maria Ilie and Astrid Emde are also in the organizing committee.
>     >
>     > With greetings from rainy Latvian winter,

pb

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

Till Adams-3

Peteris,

as Michael and Jachym confirmend, the usus earlier was already to support regional conferences with seed money. I am in the process of clearing that insise the board, but I see no obstacles, so don't worry ;-)

Regarding the "hundreds hours of work": Don't see it as work, see it as fun ;-) (that is what we did in 2016)

Till

Am 31.01.20 um 09:02 schrieb Peteris Bruns:
> [...]

>     >
>     > With greetings from rainy Latvian winter,
>     >
>     > --
>     > Peteris Bruns
>     >
>     > _______________________________________________
>     > Board mailing list
>     > [hidden email]
>     > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
>     >
>     > _______________________________________________
>     > Board mailing list
>     > [hidden email]
>     > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
>

>     --
>     Jachym Cepicky
>     e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com
>     GPG: http://les-ejk.cz/pgp/JachymCepicky.pgp

pb

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

Hi all,

thank you for your support.

I just would like to point out, that "this was a habit" - habit can be changed.

But please do it after this one :)

--
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

Angelos Tzotsos
Hi Peteris,

By the term seed money, we always mean sharing the risk, so if a loss happens, we obviously participate in that loss.

Regards,
Angelos

?

napsal:

    > Dear Peteris,
    >
    > I am not sure, whether we had the case before, that a local
chapter asked OSGeo for seed money for their regional conference, but maybe
the older colleagues of the board may remember.

    > If you ask me, I see no problems with helping out from the OSGeo
side, but as said, maybe the colleagues know better about such cases than I
do.

    > Nevertheless, I have one quesiton: For our global FOSS4G events
OSGeo also helps LOC's with seed money and then these are usually amounts
between 20 and 40 k (recently even more). In this case, OSGeo claims at
least 80% of the surplus of the conference. Do you have a plan, what should
happen with a (potential) surplus of the european confernece?

    > Thanks, Till
    >

    > Am 27.01.20 um 16:32 schrieb Peteris Bruns:
    >
    > Dear Board,
    >
    > this mail comes from FOSS4G Europe Local team. I am Peteris Bruns
the Chair of FOSS4G Europe 2020.

    > https://2020.europe.foss4g.org/
    >
    > We would like to ask for seed funds for FOSS4G-Europe 2020 which
we are organizing for July 2020.

    > We are expecting 200-300+ attendees.
    >
    > We already have some expenses we have that we would like to cover.
Some expenses we have already covered by our company, and moust likely we
will continue in some cases, but we would be happy to reduce this
dependency. So we would like to ask OSGeo for seed 2.000 Euro money. We
will pay the money back after the event.

    > It would be great if you could find a descission in the board
meeting today. Please notice that Codrina Maria Ilie and Astrid Emde are
also in the organizing committee.

    > With greetings from rainy Latvian winter,
    >
    > --
    > Peteris Bruns

    Jachym Cepicky
    e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

Angelos Tzotsos

Since we did not manage to discuss this during our meeting (due to long
agenda), lets make a motion on Loomio and get this approved, if everyone
is ok with the discussion.
This request aligns with our mission and we have provided seed money to
local events in the past.

Regards,
Angelos

On 1/31/20 9:49 AM, Till Adams wrote:

> [...]
>>      >
>>      > --
>>      > Peteris Bruns
>>      >
>>      > _______________________________________________
>>      > Board mailing list
>>      > [hidden email]
>>      > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
>>      >
>>      > _______________________________________________
>>      > Board mailing list
>>      > [hidden email]
>>      > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
>>

>>      --
>>      Jachym Cepicky
>>      e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com
>>      GPG: http://les-ejk.cz/pgp/JachymCepicky.pgp

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

I think we do need a board vote. We did for FOSS4G NA.

Sent from my iPad

> [...]
>>>
>>> We are expecting 200-300+ attendees.
>>>
>>> We already have some expenses we have that we would like to cover. Some expenses we have already covered by our company, and moust likely we will continue in some cases, but we would be happy to reduce this dependency. So we would like to ask OSGeo for seed 2.000 Euro money. We will pay the money back after the event.
>>>
>>> It would be great if you could find a descission in the board meeting today. Please notice that Codrina Maria Ilie and Astrid Emde are also in the organizing committee.
>>>
>>> With greetings from rainy Latvian winter,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peteris Bruns

>>    --
>>    Jachym Cepicky
>>    e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com
>>    GPG: http://les-ejk.cz/pgp/JachymCepicky.pgp

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

Dear Peter, Jachym,

I started a loomio vote for the board members on your request on [1]. I set the deadline for voting to next friday, I hope this is okay for you.

@Board colleagues, please vote ;-)

Regards, Till

[1] https://www.loomio.org/d/7PLSuq6W/foss4g-europe-2020-request-for-seed-funding

Am 31.01.20 um 09:53 schrieb Till Adams:

> [...]

>     >
>     > With greetings from rainy Latvian winter,
>     >
>     > --
>     > Peteris Bruns
>     >
>     > _______________________________________________
>     > Board mailing list
>     > [hidden email]
>     > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
>     >
>     > _______________________________________________
>     > Board mailing list
>     > [hidden email]
>     > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
>

>     --
>     Jachym Cepicky
>     e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com
>     GPG: http://les-ejk.cz/pgp/JachymCepicky.pgp

pb

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

/done

Am 31.01.20 um 11:21 schrieb Angelos Tzotsos:

> [...]
>>> are also in the organizing committee.
>>>      >
>>>      > With greetings from rainy Latvian winter,
>>>      >
>>>      > --
>>>      > Peteris Bruns
>>>      >
>>>      > _______________________________________________
>>>      > Board mailing list
>>>      > [hidden email]
>>>      > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
>>>      >
>>>      > _______________________________________________
>>>      > Board mailing list
>>>      > [hidden email]
>>>      > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
>>>                     --
>>>      Jachym Cepicky
>>>      e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com
>>>      GPG: http://les-ejk.cz/pgp/JachymCepicky.pgp

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

Motion passed on loomio:

On 1/31/20 1:37 PM, Till Adams wrote:

> /done
>
> Am 31.01.20 um 11:21 schrieb Angelos Tzotsos:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Since we did not manage to discuss this during our meeting (due to
>> long agenda), lets make a motion on Loomio and get this approved, if
>> everyone is ok with the discussion.
>> This request aligns with our mission and we have provided seed money
>> to local events in the past.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Angelos
>>
>> On 1/31/20 9:49 AM, Till Adams wrote:
>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> cool, do we need a board decision on this or is it a more "just do
>>> it" ;-) ?
>>>
>>> Till

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Fwd: FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

Till Adams-3

Dear Peteris,

the motion towards accepting your request for seed funding passed [1]. You may contact Michael, our treasurer, in order to fix the details on how the money comes to you.

Regards, Till

[1] https://www.loomio.org/d/7PLSuq6W/foss4g-europe-2020-request-for-seed-funding

Betreff: Re: [Board] FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding
Datum: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 12:04:54 +0200
Von: Angelos Tzotsos [hidden email]
An: [hidden email]

Motion passed on loomio:

[hidden email] napsal:

     > Dear Peteris,
     >
     > I am not sure, whether we had the case before, that a local
chapter asked OSGeo for seed money for their regional conference,
but maybe the older colleagues of the board may remember.

     > If you ask me, I see no problems with helping out from the
OSGeo side, but as said, maybe the colleagues know better about such
cases than I do.

     > Nevertheless, I have one quesiton: For our global FOSS4G
events OSGeo also helps LOC's with seed money and then these are
usually amounts between 20 and 40 k (recently even more). In this
case, OSGeo claims at least 80% of the surplus of the conference. Do
you have a plan, what should happen with a (potential) surplus of
the european confernece?

     > Thanks, Till
     >
     >
     >
     > Am 27.01.20 um 16:32 schrieb Peteris Bruns:
     >
     > Dear Board,
     >
     > this mail comes from FOSS4G Europe Local team. I am Peteris
Bruns the Chair of FOSS4G Europe 2020.

     > https://2020.europe.foss4g.org/
     >
     > We would like to ask for seed funds for FOSS4G-Europe 2020
which we are organizing for July 2020.

     > We are expecting 200-300+ attendees.
     >
     > We already have some expenses we have that we would like to
cover. Some expenses we have already covered by our company, and
moust likely we will continue in some cases, but we would be happy
to reduce this dependency. So we would like to ask OSGeo for seed
2.000 Euro money. We will pay the money back after the event.

     > It would be great if you could find a descission in the board
meeting today. Please notice that Codrina Maria Ilie and Astrid Emde
are also in the organizing committee.

     > With greetings from rainy Latvian winter,
     >
     > --
     > Peteris Bruns

     Jachym Cepicky
     e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding

Peteris
Thanks Till and all for support!

I'll forward this information to our team and Ernests, our treasurer.
Since request our financial condition has changed and improved. Therefore our proposal for now is postpone transfer and use in case will be needed.

Best regards,

Datum: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 12:04:54 +0200
Von: Angelos Tzotsos [hidden email]
An: [hidden email]