FOSS4G Europe 2017 - request for comments

FOSS4G Europe 2017 - request for comments

Jachym Cepicky
Hi all,

we have one proposal send by Gérald [1], who (together with his team) volunteered for hosting FOSS4G-Europe 2017 in France

The proposal is very well written and covers all my possible questions and more - big thank you, Gérald!

We discussed this topic at FOSS4G/OSGeo-Europe F2F BOF session here in Bonn.

If there are no serious objections coming till Friday, I will announce the venue for FOSS4G-Europe 2017 at closing plenary session here in Bonn.

Thank you all for comments, than you, Gérald for your proposal!

Jachym

P.S. Yes, no voting on this topic - we can't get all the votes till end of the week, therefore just VETO comments are considered - thanks for understanding

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2017 - request for comments

Maria Antonia Brovelli
Dear Jachym, I agree. Moreover when at ISPRS Conference Helena and I met Chris Heipke, the new ISPRS President, we discuss about the few open source software available for photogrammetry. MicMac ( which is french) is one of the most relevant, even if it is more a single man software than a community one. Are we able, as community, to improve it in such a way that it will become more user friendly and OSGeo like? In an era where UAV are becoming more interesting day by day, it could be worth putting hands on this kind of academic software. And on Europe we have a strong community ;-)
This is just my 2 cents. I'm happy of having next FOSS4G Europe in Paris ;-)
Maria

Sent from my Samsung device

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2017 - request for comments

dirkf
Thank you Gérald for your nice written proposal

Dirk

On 24-08-16 19:56, Jachym Cepicky wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we have one proposal send by Gérald [1], who (together with his team)
> volunteered for hosting FOSS4G-Europe 2017 in France
>
> The proposal is very well written and covers all my possible questions
> and more - big thank you, Gérald!
>
> We discussed this topic at FOSS4G/OSGeo-Europe F2F BOF session here in Bonn.
>
> If there are no serious objections coming till Friday, I will announce
> the venue for FOSS4G-Europe 2017 at closing plenary session here in Bonn.
>
> Thank you all for comments, than you, Gérald for your proposal!
>
> Jachym
>
> P.S. Yes, no voting on this topic - we can't get all the votes till end
> of the week, therefore just VETO comments are considered - thanks for
> understanding
>
> [1]
>  https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference-europe/2016-August/000491.html

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2017 - request for comments

Markus Neteler
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 8:12 PM, Maria Antonia Brovelli
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Jachym, I agree. Moreover when at ISPRS Conference Helena and I met
> Chris Heipke, the new ISPRS President, we discuss about the few open source
> software available for photogrammetry.

Just an off-topic "fun" anecdote:

.. a year before Prof Heipke started to work at IPI, University of
Hannover [1], the doctoral student Phisan Santitamnont and myself
started to port GRASS GIS to Linux in exactly that building :-) I was
student of geography next door back then.
Phisan later became professor at the Chulalongkorn University in
Bangkok where the famous FOSS4G 2004 was hosted and so on.

Cheers,
Markus

[1] IPI history: http://www.ipi.uni-hannover.de/51.html?&L=1

--
Markus Neteler
http://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2017 - request for comments

Maria Antonia Brovelli
A little world ;-)
Maria

Sent from my Samsung device

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Jachym, I agree. Moreover when at ISPRS Conference Helena and I met
> Chris Heipke, the new ISPRS President, we discuss about the few open source
> software available for photogrammetry.

Just an off-topic "fun" anecdote:

.. a year before Prof Heipke started to work at IPI, University of
Hannover [1], the doctoral student Phisan Santitamnont and myself
started to port GRASS GIS to Linux in exactly that building :-) I was
student of geography next door back then.
Phisan later became professor at the Chulalongkorn University in
Bangkok where the famous FOSS4G 2004 was hosted and so on.

Cheers,
Markus

[1] IPI history: http://www.ipi.uni-hannover.de/51.html?&L=1

--
Markus Neteler
http://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software
http://grass.osgeo.org
http://courses.neteler.org/blog

Re: FOSS4G Europe 2017 - request for comments

jmckenna
Administrator
On 2016-08-29 6:02 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 8:12 PM, Maria Antonia Brovelli
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear Jachym, I agree. Moreover when at ISPRS Conference Helena and I met
>> Chris Heipke, the new ISPRS President, we discuss about the few open source
>> software available for photogrammetry.
>
> Just an off-topic "fun" anecdote:
>
> .. a year before Prof Heipke started to work at IPI, University of
> Hannover [1], the doctoral student Phisan Santitamnont and myself
> started to port GRASS GIS to Linux in exactly that building :-) I was
> student of geography next door back then.
> Phisan later became professor at the Chulalongkorn University in
> Bangkok where the famous FOSS4G 2004 was hosted and so on.
>
> Cheers,
> Markus
>
> [1] IPI history: http://www.ipi.uni-hannover.de/51.html?&L=1

I had no idea that Phisan was so connected to you Markus and the GRASS
history, wow, thank you for sharing.  As someone who was there at
Chulalongkorn this information is very special.

-jeff