FOSS4G Calgary 2020: Request for reimbursement

FOSS4G Calgary 2020: Request for reimbursement

JonathanNeufeld

Hello All,

As you know, FOSS4G Calgary 2020 was canceled due to the global COVID19 pandemic.

The Calgary LOC has sustained a net-loss of $66,165.26 CAD (~48,011 USD)

Given that there is some risk sharing between OSGeo and the LOC we are requesting reimbursement for 95% of the actual loss incurred.

$48,011 x 0.95 = $45,610 USD

Thank you,

Jon

Co-Chair FOSS4G Calgary 2020

Re: FOSS4G Calgary 2020: Request for reimbursement

Massimiliano Cannata
Dear Jonathan,
I'm very sorry for the losses and much more for the missing events :-(

I'm quite curious to better understand the allocation of net-loss..  and since you have made the calculation I'm quite sure you have the break down of costs to share with the community.

Given our openness / transparency I bet it is not a problem.

Thanks again for the work done for the community !

Best wishes,
Maxi

 --
This message has been checked by SUPSI mail-scanner and is believed to be clean.

Massimiliano Cannata

Responsabile settore Geomatica

Istituto scienze della Terra

Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio

Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14

Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09

[hidden email]

www.supsi.ch/ist

Re: FOSS4G Calgary 2020: Request for reimbursement

JonathanNeufeld

Hi Maxi,

Thank you very much.

You can find a detailed breakdown of revenues and expenses here https://www.jonathanneufeld.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/FOSS4G-Summary-of-Revenues-and-Expenses.pdf

Regards,

Jon

Re: FOSS4G Calgary 2020: Request for reimbursement

Massimiliano Cannata
Thanks Jonathan,

It's really a pity that Deposit to Calgary Convention Centre is fully not refounded. A bit unfair I would say...

Won't be possible in future to have insurance for this?

Canada gov does put in place any action to support covid caused losses?

Just my curiosity....

Maxi

Il gio 28 mag 2020, 16:49 Jonathan Neufeld <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

Hi Maxi,

Thank you very much.

You can find a detailed breakdown of revenues and expenses here https://www.jonathanneufeld.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/FOSS4G-Summary-of-Revenues-and-Expenses.pdf

Regards,

Jon

Re: FOSS4G Calgary 2020: Request for reimbursement

JonathanNeufeld

Hi Maxi,

Jodi is correct, the government does have some programs in place to help companies through this period. Unfortunately, none of the programs cover this sort of cost.

I’ll add as well, that under the terms of the deal negotiated with the Convention Centre they *could* have demanded full payment for the full contract because we chose to cancel. This would have exceeded $250,000 CAD. They were kind enough to cancel the agreement with no additional penalties.

Cheers,

Jon

Re: FOSS4G Calgary 2020: Request for reimbursement

JonathanNeufeld

Hi All,

I’m following up on this email from last week. Please advise on next steps and timing.

Thanks,

Jon

Re: FOSS4G Calgary 2020: Request for reimbursement

jody.garnett
The board has a public loomio page here used to track motions: https://www.loomio.org/g/kdSmIwxu/osgeo-board

I think you are waiting for a board member to make a motion, and then you can follow the voting / approval process.
--
Jody Garnett

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 at 08:01, Jonathan Neufeld <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

I’m following up on this email from last week. Please advise on next steps and timing.

Thanks,

Jon

Re: FOSS4G Calgary 2020: Request for reimbursement

JonathanNeufeld

Thanks Jody

Board Members … nudge nudge ;-)

Re: FOSS4G Calgary 2020: Request for reimbursement

Angelos Tzotsos
Thanks all,

We will open a motion on Loomio for voting and will report back the result here.

Best,
Angelos

On 6/3/20 6:14 PM, Jonathan Neufeld wrote:
Thanks Jody

Board Members … nudge nudge ;-)

As you know, FOSS4G Calgary 2020 was canceled due to the global COVID19 pandemic.

The Calgary LOC has sustained a net-loss of $66,165.26 CAD (~48,011 USD)

Given that there is some risk sharing between OSGeo and the LOC we are requesting reimbursement for 95% of the actual loss incurred.

$48,011 x 0.95 = $45,610 USD

Thank you,
Jon
Co-Chair FOSS4G Calgary 2020

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
President
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: FOSS4G Calgary 2020: Request for reimbursement

JonathanNeufeld

Thank you Angelos

Cheers,

Jon

Re: FOSS4G Calgary 2020: Request for reimbursement

Angelos Tzotsos
Hi all,

We have received 100% of votes, so motion is now passed:
https://www.loomio.org/d/4UemyVsA/foss4g-calgary-2020-request-for-reimbursement

Thanks,
Angelos

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
President
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: FOSS4G Calgary 2020: Request for reimbursement

JonathanNeufeld
Thank you Angelos and the OSGeo Board, I greatly appreciate this show of support.

Regards,
Jon