FOSS4G Boston Travel Grants ~ IMPORTANT request

12

FOSS4G Boston Travel Grants ~ IMPORTANT request

Michael Terner
As you all can see we've been very busy assembling our program (225 accepted talks, out of 423 submitted) and rounding out the sponsorship for the conference (>$200k of commitments). And now, with 2 weeks to go before the Early Bird expires, registration is starting to pickup with ~200 registrations processed.

And, with registration on people's minds we have started to get the inevitable requests for financial support (e.g., and accepted speaker who's company cannot pay; graduate students looking for support; etc.) and we expect those requests to continue. The Boston LOC (BLOC) would dearly like to have a "Travel Grant Program", but as was pointed out in earlier threads (I believe by both Steven Feldman and Jody Garnett) it is difficult for the host LOC to run such a program. For instance:
  1. We do not yet know our financial condition. With registrations being notoriously late, we won't know if/how much $'s are available for such a program for some time.
  2. Administering such a program takes time, and our primary focus is on producing the conference and the workshops.
  3. Decisions on criteria for choosing recipients and the amount of individual grants can be delicate and the criteria/objectives may differ between the BLOC and OSGeo
As such, the BLOC would like to make a formal request that OSGeo establish and administer a travel grant program for the Boston 2017 event. We would gladly collaborate and help advertise the program (e.g., on our website and through referrals), but we would concur that this program should be established and funded by OSGeo. We have high hopes that the proceeds from Boston will reimburse OSGeo's investment in subsidizing attendance from certain communities. And, we too will be looking to offer other opportunities for financial support through our volunteer program, and potentially a "need-based" registration discount (if our Early Bird registrations give us increased confidence in our financial success).

Thank you in advance for considering this request. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Sincerely, MT & the BLOC
--
Michael Terner
Executive Vice President

Applied Geographics, Inc.

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).

Re: FOSS4G Boston Travel Grants ~ IMPORTANT request

Till Adams-3
Hi Michael,

in Bonn we had the same issues. The end of the story was, that OSGeo granted us for 10k US $, that we could use for travel grants, as we also were unsure where we will come out at the end of the conference.

We restricted the grants to people from 3rd world countries due to world banks country ranking. We had two kinds of grants:

1. "regular" attendees: We paid their ticket and accommodation, not the travel (travel is difficult because of different routes, we were not sure, whether people really attend, how to book for them or were anxious transfering money in advance)

2. our student helpers, that also applied for the tg program. We paid them 500 € on the conference as their conference ticket was free anyway (50/50 deal of help/attendance) and their accommodation.

All together the budget fitted quite well, I am kind of unsure, I guess we had between 8-12 people that applied. The application was by writing a letter of intend "why do I want to attend on F4G?" in order to assure, that people really wanted to come to this event.

In total we agreed in a selection process based on "points", so we gave more points, the poorer the country of origin was rated (on the wb-list), more points for presenters and so on, but in the end we could accept everybody that applied in the program.

I see your sensitives, we had the same ;-) If that helps, I can support you here with direct support, but would be glad if 2 or 3 other people from ConfComm and/or board would also jump on the train. Afterwards this group could share their experience and start the process of an generally established tg program for F4G's.

Till

Am 03.05.2017 um 14:07 schrieb Michael Terner:
[...]

K.Bott
Hi, all --

Good to see discussion of a travel grant / scholarship program for FOSS4G 2017 / Boston. For foss4g2014 (Portland, OR), here's our story of travel grants, prose edition: http://2014.foss4g.org/travel-grant-epilogue/index.html

In bulletpoint version:
- We set aside 10k of the conference budget to fund the program and
- set aside HALF of those resources for people who self-identified as women or a minority (one of the questions on the application)
- folks applied online (app attached), applications were ranked by four external reviewers, and funds were awarded based on the strength of applications and self-identified need. More than half of our resources supported women and members of minority groups, since the LOC felt strongly that a more diverse community is a stronger (and more effective) community.

Happy to talk about any of this in further detail and/or potentially help with process crafting / app selection. (I've been involved in a half-dozen of these programs since our 2014 conference; just finished working with the SOTM2017/Japan folks on same.)

A few months ago, I asked for examples of how other conferences (SOTM, FOSS4G, local, inter/national versions of same) have dealt with these sort of grants. Some answers, attached.

Thank you for keeping this important work a priority.

cheers -
-kristin

(one of four LOC co-chairs, FOSS4G 2014 PDX)

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 5:56 AM, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

foss4g-2014-travelgrant.pdf (124K) Download Attachment

Re: [Board] FOSS4G Boston Travel Grants ~ IMPORTANT request

Benoit FOURNIER

On 3 May 2017 at 18:35, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
We covered this in last months board meeting, so far we need volunteers willing to take part.

​+1 OSGeo is a volunteer-driven organization. If no volunteers show up for this task, I'm afraid we won't have a travel grant program. Unfortunately it's as simple as that.​

Jody, Anita, board,

You do need volunteers, true. And the task for them can look daunting or feasible.
OSGeo can also be committed to the idea and look for professional help.
So that volunteers might be needed only for a review panel or global overview.
You still need volunteers then but you may find them more easily if OSGeo can assure that adequate backing will be provided.

FOSS4G is already a big enough event. I think it has been recognized that sometimes volunteers are under much pressure and a PCO is welcomed. So professional help is always a possibility.
Indeed travel grant program can be very time consuming if you have to handle everything from airplane tickets, visa applications, recommendation letters, lodging and so on. Alternatively you are simply giving money and hope for the best.

Also, if OSGeo decided to run a travel grant program, and agreed to spend 10k, part of the sum can be set aside to make it happen.
It is overhead, it is somehow disappointing, but it can be necessary. On the contrary, I think it is a strong statement for diversity and inclusiveness.
You may convince additional sponsors, who knows.

May the FOSS be with you and us all.

Ben

Re: [Board] FOSS4G Boston Travel Grants ~ IMPORTANT request

Till Adams-3
I raise my hand as volunteer.

Till

Am 03.05.2017 um 18:10 schrieb Jody Garnett:
We covered this in last months board meeting, so far we need volunteers willing to take part.

You many not be specifically happy with the direction thus far (travel grant fund available to all osgeo events, focused on diversity, event organizers apply similar to code sprints).

I have draft I am working on based on discussion thus far (using code sprint guidelines as a starting point).

--
Jody Garnett

On 3 May 2017 at 07:59, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I fully support Michael’s request.

It is time for OSGeo to establish a transparent policy on travel grants, to fund them and most importantly to administer them
______
Steven

On 3 May 2017, at 13:56, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Conference_dev mailing list

Re: [Board] FOSS4G Boston Travel Grants ~ IMPORTANT request

Till Adams-3
Hi Jody,

I would propose to post this responsibility to the ConfCom. Some of the past chairs already were involved in such kind of decisions.

Till

Am 04.05.2017 um 17:07 schrieb Jody Garnett:
Thanks Till, can you dive into that draft document and come back here with feedback?

One open question is who should take the responsibility for approving event applications. Should the board handle it like code sprints, is the conference committee interested in the responsibility, do we want a new committee with yourself as chair? Etc ...

If there is a dedicated group then it would open up a few alternate approaches to the one proposed.
On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 11:32 PM Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dear Jody,

in the moment this is my suggestion, so the opinion of just one member of ConfComm. I call up a vote in ConfComm, so we have a decision. Afterwards, we can discuss your thoughts.

Till

Am 05.05.2017 um 08:31 schrieb Jody Garnett:
Excellent, so would the idea be to update the conference committee mandate then?

Or would the conference committee set this up as indicative (for program visibility and sponsorship)? ... similar to how the website/rebranding is being taken on as a one-off by the marketing committee.

That is a bit of a strategic question so it may require thought / planning.

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:19 PM Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

General mandate FOSS4G Travel Grants ~ Call for a VOTE

Till Adams-3
Hi ConfComm,

as you've seen in the past days, Michael from BLOC started a discussion how to proceed with the travel grants, Jody was involved for the board and the board accepted to take over the whole travel grant responsibility to OSGeo. This means, we now can (and should) setup a formal and unique procedure for ALL FOSS4G events for travel granting. In my eyes, this is a big step forward (my thanks to Michael to start this discussion again ;-)).

My suggestion is, to give our ConfComm the mandate to have the responsibility for approving event applications.

So my call for a vote is: "Should ConfComm take over responsibility for approving event applications" ?

Please vote until 10.05.2017 24h CET

[...]

Re: General mandate FOSS4G Travel Grants ~ Call for a VOTE

stevenfeldman
Till

Arte you suggesting that CC approves events to be included in the travel grant program and/or runs the process to select the individuals who wish to benefit from the grants?
______
Steven

On 3 May 2017, at 13:56, Till Adams <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Steven,

setting up the process AND selection process.

Till

Am 05.05.2017 um 12:44 schrieb Steven Feldman:
[...]

+1 :)
______
Steven

On 5 May 2017, at 07:42, Till Adams <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

[hidden email][hidden email]

Jody Garnett

Jody Garnett

Re: General mandate FOSS4G Travel Grants ~ Call for a VOTE

Sanghee Shin
Thanks Till. +1 from me.

Sanghee

2017. 5. 5. 오후 11:11에 "David William Bitner" <[hidden email]>님이 작성:
[...]

R: General mandate FOSS4G Travel Grants ~ Call for a VOTE

Maria Antonia Brovelli
+1
Maria

Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung

Re: R: General mandate FOSS4G Travel Grants ~ Call for a VOTE

David Fawcett
+1

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1
Maria

Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung

Re: R: General mandate FOSS4G Travel Grants ~ Call for a VOTE

Darrell Fuhriman
+1 here as well

Darrell

Re: R: General mandate FOSS4G Travel Grants ~ Call for a VOTE

Cameron Shorter

+0 from me:

Points to note:

Does "FOSS4G" refer to "FOSS4G Global", or also "FOSS4G regional and local" events? I suggest this motion re managing FOSS4G travel grants is relevant to "FOSS4G Global" only, but may be extended on a case by case basis to other events too.

I suggest we define the process somewhere. Probably here: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook

I'm hesitant about introducing extra responsibility to the conference committee, as I'm wondering whether we have sufficient volunteer capacity to take the extra work on. Based on Till volunteering to lead, I think we at least have initial capability.

Warm regards, Cameron

On 6/5/17 1:41 am, David Fawcett wrote:
+1

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1
Maria

Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung

Re: R: General mandate FOSS4G Travel Grants ~ Call for a VOTE

Michael Terner
Big thanks to all - Conference Dev & Board - for addressing our request in such a timely and productive manner. Particular thanks to Till for volunteering.

We will be pleased to work with everyone on using Boston as a "beta" for this program should we be eligible. Let us know what comes next and what we can do to assist.

Thanks again...

MT

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

M <a href="tel:+61%20419%20142%20254" value="+61419142254" target="_blank">+61 419 142 254

Michael Terner
Executive Vice President
617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main
Applied Geographics, Inc.
24 School Street, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02108

www.AppGeo.com

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).

Re: General mandate FOSS4G Travel Grants ~ Call for a VOTE

Eli Adam
On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:42 PM, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi ConfComm,
>
> as you've seen in the past days, Michael from BLOC started a discussion how to proceed with the travel grants, Jody was involved for the board and the board accepted to take over the whole travel grant responsibility to OSGeo. This means, we now can (and should) setup a formal and unique procedure for ALL FOSS4G events for travel granting. In my eyes, this is a big step forward (my thanks to Michael to start this discussion again ;-)).
>
> My suggestion is, to give our ConfComm the mandate to have the responsibility for approving event applications.
>
> So my call for a vote is: "Should ConfComm take over responsibility for approving event applications" ?

+1.  It will need more detail but starting with the responsibility is
the first step.

> Please vote until 10.05.2017 24h CET

That was a short window.

Eli

> Till
>

> Am 05.05.2017 um 08:31 schrieb Jody Garnett:
>
> Excellent, so would the idea be to update the conference committee mandate then?
>
> Or would the conference committee set this up as indicative (for program visibility and sponsorship)? ... similar to how the website/rebranding is being taken on as a one-off by the marketing committee.
>
> That is a bit of a strategic question so it may require thought / planning.
>

> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:19 PM Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jody,
>>
>> I would propose to post this responsibility to the ConfCom. Some of the past chairs already were involved in such kind of decisions.
>>
>> Till
>>

>> Am 04.05.2017 um 17:07 schrieb Jody Garnett:
>>
>> Thanks Till, can you dive into that draft document and come back here with feedback?
>>
>> One open question is who should take the responsibility for approving event applications. Should the board handle it like code sprints, is the conference committee interested in the responsibility, do we want a new committee with yourself as chair? Etc ...
>>
>> If there is a dedicated group then it would open up a few alternate approaches to the one proposed.
>> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 11:32 PM Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I raise my hand as volunteer.
>>>

>>> Till
>>>

>>> Am 03.05.2017 um 18:10 schrieb Jody Garnett:
>>>
>>> We covered this in last months board meeting, so far we need volunteers willing to take part.
>>>
>>> You many not be specifically happy with the direction thus far (travel grant fund available to all osgeo events, focused on diversity, event organizers apply similar to code sprints).
>>>
>>> I have draft I am working on based on discussion thus far (using code sprint guidelines as a starting point).
>>>
>>>  Travel Grant Guidelines
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jody Garnett

>> --