FOSS4G Boston Code Sprint - mapserver participation

FOSS4G Boston Code Sprint - mapserver participation

Martin Icking
Will there be a mapserver section during the upcoming Boston Code sprint - from here: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_Code_Sprint#Registered_Attendees I don't see a lot of mapersver-related participation.
As I'll be attending the FOSS4G this time I'd be interested in participating - if there will be a mapserver activity at the code sprint.
Nevertheless I'm looking forward to meeting some you at the conference.
Tx
Martin

Re: FOSS4G Boston Code Sprint - mapserver participation

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)
Looks pretty sparse unfortunately. Not many of the usual suspects in attendance - not sure if folks simply aren't attending the conference at all or just the sprint. End-of-conference sprints are tough IMHO. Personally I'll be moving my daughter into her dorm that morning. I'll try to join via IRC later in the day. I guess any energy put towards release planning would be most welcome - or maybe a focus on demos with Lars in the room? --Steve

Re: FOSS4G Boston Code Sprint - mapserver participation

Michael Smith
I'll be there so we can talk oracle at least.

Mike

--
Michael Smith

Remote Sensing/GIS Center
US Army Corps of Engineers

On 8/10/17,  11:55 AM, "mapserver-dev on behalf of Lime, Steve D (MNIT)"
<[hidden email] on behalf of
[hidden email]> wrote:

>Looks pretty sparse unfortunately. Not many of the usual suspects in
>attendance - not sure if folks simply aren't attending the conference at
>all or just the sprint. End-of-conference sprints are tough IMHO.
>Personally I'll be moving my daughter into her dorm that morning. I'll
>try to join via IRC later in the day. I guess any energy put towards
>release planning would be most welcome - or maybe a focus on demos with
>Lars in the room? --Steve

I'll be missing your coffee expertise! Was this the spot -- http://www.thinkingcup.com/?

 There are some Oracle-related pull requests (at least 3 I believe) that would be good to resolve. ;-)

[hidden email]> wrote:

>Looks pretty sparse unfortunately. Not many of the usual suspects in
>attendance - not sure if folks simply aren't attending the conference at
>all or just the sprint. End-of-conference sprints are tough IMHO.
>Personally I'll be moving my daughter into her dorm that morning. I'll
>try to join via IRC later in the day. I guess any energy put towards
>release planning would be most welcome - or maybe a focus on demos with
>Lars in the room? --Steve

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Martin, Steve, Mike, all,

Sorry about being quiet, but my good news is in the past week I finally
got a flight and got all registered for Boston, so it's been hectic, but
it's all worth it as I'm very happy to be going!!!! :)

At FOSS4G-Europe a few weeks ago we were working on some demos, and I
had fixed the MapServer 7 build on the demo server (there was a GEOS lib
problem, so now it now runs 7.0.6), and since then I updated all demo
services to work with version 7 (WMS, WFS, WCS, etc), and I took the
time to install latest the PostGIS and PostgreSQL on the demo server,
and sucked in the latest OpenStreetMap for the state of Massachusetts,
created a mapfile with the latest Basemaps on the demo server, and added
a FOSS4G logo at the Seaport wharf :) Give it a try:
http://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/foss4g2017?TEMPLATE=openlayers&MODE=browse&LAYERS=all

If anyone has an problems with the MapServer 7.0.6 demo services let me
know (but I have bots that constantly check on their status):
http://demo.mapserver.org/

Regarding plans for FOSS4G-Boston, for the code sprint day I've added a
MapServer section so you can write your ideas/goals for the day:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_Code_Sprint#MapServer  For
example, I'd like to take that new foss4g2017 WMS service and seed tiles
through MapCache-master, and point to that new service in the map on the
mapserver.org homepage (I meant to tackle the tiles before this email
but ran out of time, and best to do that together at the code sprint!)

I also want to get the MapServer team together there (devs, power users,
anyone interested) at a BoF (birds of feather / open session).  There
shouldn't be any wifi issues so we can patch in others through IRC this
time.  For now I've specified Wednesday from 7:30pm-8:30pm, sign up at
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_BirdsOfAFeather#Wednesday_16_August

I'll also try to have a draft of the RFC for then, to review, of the
Call for Sponsorship plan that was discussed at the FOSS4G-Europe
MapServer BoF.

phew!

Hope to see you soon and share a beer and a laugh!  thanks everyone,

-jeff

On 2017-08-10 8:30 AM, Martin Icking wrote:

> Will there be a mapserver section during the upcoming Boston Code sprint -
> from here:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_Code_Sprint#Registered_Attendees
> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_Code_Sprint#Registered_Attendees>
> I don't see a lot of mapersver-related participation.
> As I'll be attending the FOSS4G this time I'd be interested in participating
> - if there will be a mapserver activity at the code sprint.
> Nevertheless I'm looking forward to meeting some you at the conference.
> Tx
> Martin

Re: FOSS4G Boston Code Sprint - mapserver participation

Michael Smith
Wow, that’s really excellent work that will benefit the mapserver community. You guys really got a lot done at FOSS4GE.

Michael Smith
Remote Sensing/GIS Center
US Army Corps of Engineers

> [...]
>
> phew!
>
> Hope to see you soon and share a beer and a laugh!  thanks everyone,
>
> -jeff
>

>> On 2017-08-10 8:30 AM, Martin Icking wrote:
>> Will there be a mapserver section during the upcoming Boston Code sprint -
>> from here:
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_Code_Sprint#Registered_Attendees
>> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_Code_Sprint#Registered_Attendees>
>> I don't see a lot of mapersver-related participation.
>> As I'll be attending the FOSS4G this time I'd be interested in participating
>> - if there will be a mapserver activity at the code sprint.
>> Nevertheless I'm looking forward to meeting some you at the conference.
>> Tx
>> Martin

Re: FOSS4G Boston Code Sprint - mapserver participation

Lars Schylberg-4

My thought is that we can continue to work on some new advanced demos along the work that we started in Paris last year.

Hopefully I will be able to finish and release our solution tomorrow about Nautical charts that I and some colleagues have been working on for the last two years. I finally have an approval to release this on GITHUB under the same license terms as Mapserver. I think we can dig out some advanced mapserver examples based on this.

I really looking forward seeing You all next week.

Lars Schylberg

> [...]
> MapServer BoF.
>
> phew!
>
> Hope to see you soon and share a beer and a laugh!  thanks everyone,
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2017-08-10 8:30 AM, Martin Icking wrote:
> > Will there be a mapserver section during the upcoming Boston Code sprint -
> > from here:
> > https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_Code_Sprint#Registered_Attendees
> > <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_Code_Sprint#Registered_Attendees>
> > I don't see a lot of mapersver-related participation.
> > As I'll be attending the FOSS4G this time I'd be interested in participating
> > - if there will be a mapserver activity at the code sprint.
> > Nevertheless I'm looking forward to meeting some you at the conference.
> > Tx
> > Martin

Re: FOSS4G Boston Code Sprint - mapserver participation

Sorry, I did that post-FOSS4G-E :)  -jeff

On 2017-08-10 6:59 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I'll also try to have a draft of the RFC for then, to review, of the Call for Sponsorship plan that was discussed at the FOSS4G-Europe MapServer BoF.
>>
>> phew!
>>
>> Hope to see you soon and share a beer and a laugh!  thanks everyone,
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>>> On 2017-08-10 8:30 AM, Martin Icking wrote:
>>> Will there be a mapserver section during the upcoming Boston Code sprint -
>>> from here:
>>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_Code_Sprint#Registered_Attendees
>>> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_Code_Sprint#Registered_Attendees>
>>> I don't see a lot of mapersver-related participation.
>>> As I'll be attending the FOSS4G this time I'd be interested in participating
>>> - if there will be a mapserver activity at the code sprint.
>>> Nevertheless I'm looking forward to meeting some you at the conference.

Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: FOSS4G Boston Code Sprint - mapserver participation

Michael Smith
Wow, even more impressive.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 10, 2017, at 7:13 PM, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sorry, I did that post-FOSS4G-E :)  -jeff
>

>> On 2017-08-10 6:59 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
>> Wow, that’s really excellent work that will benefit the mapserver community. You guys really got a lot done at FOSS4GE.
>> Michael Smith
>> Remote Sensing/GIS Center
>> US Army Corps of Engineers
>>> On Aug 10, 2017, at 5:01 PM, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Martin, Steve, Mike, all,
>>>
>>> Sorry about being quiet, but my good news is in the past week I finally got a flight and got all registered for Boston, so it's been hectic, but it's all worth it as I'm very happy to be going!!!! :)
>>>
>>> At FOSS4G-Europe a few weeks ago we were working on some demos, and I had fixed the MapServer 7 build on the demo server (there was a GEOS lib problem, so now it now runs 7.0.6), and since then I updated all demo services to work with version 7 (WMS, WFS, WCS, etc), and I took the time to install latest the PostGIS and PostgreSQL on the demo server, and sucked in the latest OpenStreetMap for the state of Massachusetts, created a mapfile with the latest Basemaps on the demo server, and added a FOSS4G logo at the Seaport wharf :) Give it a try: http://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/foss4g2017?TEMPLATE=openlayers&MODE=browse&LAYERS=all
>>>
>>> If anyone has an problems with the MapServer 7.0.6 demo services let me know (but I have bots that constantly check on their status): http://demo.mapserver.org/
>>>
>>> Regarding plans for FOSS4G-Boston, for the code sprint day I've added a MapServer section so you can write your ideas/goals for the day: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_Code_Sprint#MapServer  For example, I'd like to take that new foss4g2017 WMS service and seed tiles through MapCache-master, and point to that new service in the map on the mapserver.org homepage (I meant to tackle the tiles before this email but ran out of time, and best to do that together at the code sprint!)
>>>
>>> I also want to get the MapServer team together there (devs, power users, anyone interested) at a BoF (birds of feather / open session).  There shouldn't be any wifi issues so we can patch in others through IRC this time.  For now I've specified Wednesday from 7:30pm-8:30pm, sign up at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2017_BirdsOfAFeather#Wednesday_16_August
>>>
>>> I'll also try to have a draft of the RFC for then, to review, of the Call for Sponsorship plan that was discussed at the FOSS4G-Europe MapServer BoF.
>>>
>>> phew!
>>>
>>> Hope to see you soon and share a beer and a laugh!  thanks everyone,
>>>
>>> -jeff

> Jeff McKenna
> MapServer Consulting and Training Services
> http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: FOSS4G Boston Code Sprint - mapserver participation

jmckenna
Administrator
I've received some feedback on our use of OpenLayers2 in our viewers;
I've added upgrading this embedded minimal build of OpenLayers, for
MODE=browse&TEMPLATE=openlayers, to the code sprint goals:

On 2017-08-10 8:16 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> Wow, even more impressive.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 10, 2017, at 7:13 PM, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, I did that post-FOSS4G-E :)  -jeff
>>

>>> On 2017-08-10 6:59 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
>>> Wow, that’s really excellent work that will benefit the mapserver community. You guys really got a lot done at FOSS4GE.
>>> Michael Smith
>>> Remote Sensing/GIS Center
>>> US Army Corps of Engineers

Re: FOSS4G Boston Code Sprint - mapserver participation

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Lars,

I look forward to seeing you, and hearing/seeing more about your
Nautical charts solution.  (from FOSS4G-Europe feedback, we need to show
more power use of MapServer, so maybe we share news of your release to
the whole community - the same for other greats in the MapServer family,
as Mappyfile, ZOO-Project, GeoMOOSE3, Mapbender, etc.)

-jeff

On 2017-08-10 7:13 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> My thought is that we can continue to work on some new advanced demos
> along the work that we started in Paris last year.
>
> Hopefully I will be able to finish and release our solution tomorrow
> about Nautical charts that I and some colleagues have been working on
> for the last two years. I finally have an approval to release this on
> GITHUB under the same license terms as Mapserver. I think we can dig out
> some advanced mapserver examples based on this.
>
> I really looking forward seeing You all next week.
>
> Lars Schylberg

Hi Jeff,

Just arrived in Boston.  Managed to get everything up in a GITHub just before I left.  I need to double check that everything is in order before we go public widely.

Here is the link for people interested.

https://github.com/LarsSchy/SMAC-M

I will have a poster about this during the week.

We hope that SMAC-M can evolve to be like the basemap project but for Seacharts.

/Lars S.

> I look forward to seeing you, and hearing/seeing more about your
> Nautical charts solution.  (from FOSS4G-Europe feedback, we need to show
> more power use of MapServer, so maybe we share news of your release to
> the whole community - the same for other greats in the MapServer family,
> as Mappyfile, ZOO-Project, GeoMOOSE3, Mapbender, etc.)
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2017-08-10 7:13 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >

> > My thought is that we can continue to work on some new advanced demos
> > along the work that we started in Paris last year.
> >
> > Hopefully I will be able to finish and release our solution tomorrow
> > about Nautical charts that I and some colleagues have been working on
> > for the last two years. I finally have an approval to release this on
> > GITHUB under the same license terms as Mapserver. I think we can dig out
> > some advanced mapserver examples based on this.
> >
> > I really looking forward seeing You all next week.
> >
> > Lars Schylberg

I'll join the BoF meeting tomorrow evening at 7:30pm. Currently unable to edit the wiki so telling you this way...
Tx
Martin