FOSS4G 2019

Gavin Fleming-4
I've just departed from a wonderful edition of FOSS4G (and QGIS contributors meeting) in Bucharest where over 1000 people from around 80 countries shared about 40 workshops and 11 parallel presentation tracks over the past week, showing yet again how open source GIS is used successfully to find spatial solutions in all sectors and is at the cutting edge of technology and science.

There were five south Africans there (from Kartoza and University of Pretoria).

You can see recordings of all presentations at https://media.ccc.de/c/foss4g2019. They were streamed live--some are still being processed.

Why any Government entity in SA is still paying a fortune for privative GIS and database software beats me, when developed countries (as in most of Europe for example) saw the light years ago and fully embrace FOSS.

Do your bit to advocate for FOSS GIS!

Gavin