FOSS4G 2017 Call for Workshop Proposals

Chris Barnett
Hello OSGeo community,

The workshop subcommittee of the FOSS4G 2017 Boston LOC would like to announce that the call for workshop proposals is now officially open! We invite you to submit a proposal to teach a workshop.  Here is a link to the workshop page of our website for the submission form and further details: http://2017.foss4g.org/workshops/

For those of you who don’t yet know, FOSS4G 2017 will be held in Boston, MA, USA on August 14-19. Please visit the website for conference details : http://2017.foss4g.org/

In brief:
Workshop info:
  • Workshops will be held on August 14th and 15th at the Harvard Center for Geographic Analysis (CGA) in Cambridge, MA
  • Workshops are scheduled in 4 hour blocks, but a limited number of full-day (8 hr.) workshops will be considered
  • Compensation for a 4 hour workshop is $650, which is the cost of an Early-Bird registration for FOSS4G
  • Workshops will be BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) for attendees. FOSS4G will provide bootable OSGeo Live USB sticks and remote desktop access to cloud-hosted machines.
  • In the past, workshops have included topics related to the following, but the committee is open to other topics that are relevant to the FOSS4G community and will generate interest :
    • QGIS/PyQGIS
    • PostGIS
    • GeoServer
    • MapServer
    • Web Mapping
    • GRASS GIS
    • GDAL/OGR CLI Tools
    • pgRouting
    • Using OSGeoLive
    • GeoPython
    • GvSig
    • Aerial Mapping and Point Clouds/LIDAR/Photogrammetry
    • Using open source GIS in a cloud environment

Important Dates:
Call for Workshops Closed: March 13, 2017
Workshop Selections Announced: March 20, 2017
Detailed Workshop Program: April 3, 2017
Workshops Take Place at Harvard: August 14/15, 2017

Feel free to contact me at [hidden email] with any questions that you may have, and stay tuned for the FOSS4G call for presentations, which will be opening shortly!

Thanks,
Chris Barnett
---------------------------------
Workshop subcommittee
FOSS4G 2017 Boston LOC

Re: FOSS4G 2017 Call for Workshop Proposals - OSGeo-Live

Cameron Shorter

Hello FOSS4G Boston team,

In today's OSGeo-Live weekly meeting we discussed preparing an OSGeo-Live workshop to be initially used for FOSS4G 2017, but which would then be a useful resource for future OSGeo related training.

We'd like to open a discussion with FOSS4G organizers about the creation, content, and presentation of this workshop.

Our OSGeo-Live community live all around the world, and many of us who are interested in helping with content creation might/will not be able to make the conference in order to present. So we would like to like to put feelers out to determine if we can find some local people to help out with the presentation.

It has been noticed that the BostonGIS community have done an excellent job already in creating OSGeo tutorial material, available at: http://www.bostongis.com/ Who was involved in creating this material? Would there be members of the BostonGIS or Boston FOSS4G community interested in helping be part of an OSGeo-Live workshop team?

In creating and presenting material, I'm hopeful that we can draw upon an OSGeo community leader (or 2) from each project included. This should increase the value of the presentation and spread the effort of creation. (On the downside, it would increase the number of presenters in the room).

With regards to the structure of the OSGeo-Live workshop:

Target Audience:

* We suggest that the target audience should be new users to OSGeo. There would be no prior assumed knowledge or technical expertise so could be attended by a non-GIS techie, or a manager, or a sales person. The aim would be to introduce attendees to the breadth of Open Source GIS available, and get some hands on feeling for what these applications look like.

Content:

* 4 hours won't be sufficient time to cover all 50 OSGeo-Live projects in depth, so we will need to be selective. I'd expect we would base the workshop on something similar to:

0:00 - 0:10 Introduction

0:10 - 0:20 Set up OSGeo-Live on everyone's laptop. (Instructors walking around the room helping, possibly spilling into next presentation)

0:20 - 1:00 Overview of all 50 applications in OSGeo-Live, based on OSGeo-Live presentation: http://live.osgeo.org/en/presentation/index.html

1:00 - 3:30 Look at a subset of main applications in depth. About 20 to 30 mins for 6 to 8 applications. Base on existing Quickstarts. Covering:

* Database setup (PostGIS?)

* Web Service setup (GeoServer? GeoNode?)

* Desktop use case (QGIS?)

* Browser application(s) (OpenLayers? Cesium?)

* Possibly also cover free data sources such as Open Street Map

3:30 - 4:00 Buffer time for questions, delays, coffee break.

---

So questions for the Boston team:

a. Is this concept in line with Boston's vision for workshops?

b. Is there anyone interested in getting involved in the above?

Warm regards,
Cameron

On 25/01/2017 9:15 AM, Chris Barnett wrote:
[...]

M +61 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G 2017 Call for Workshop Proposals - OSGeo-Live

Chris Barnett
Hi Cameron,

We’ll be sure to discuss this at our workshop committee meeting this evening. My sense is that it is perfectly in line with our vision for workshops and that most likely we can find folks to fill in the very few gaps that Regina (who is on our committee) is not confident about.

I’d also like to chat with someone from the OSGeo-Live community about OSGeo-Live resources. OSGeo-Live USB sticks will be available to workshop participants, but we’d also like to make cloud-based instances available via remote desktop. I’ve run into a couple of technical issues with this and think it would be very useful to draw on your collective knowledge and experience. What would be the best/most appropriate way to go about this?

Thanks,
Chris

On Jan 30, 2017, at 6:51 PM, Regina Obe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cameron,

I'd be happy to help out with the PostGIS and free data sources, and possibly QGIS and OpenLayers.  Rest of the items I feel less confident training on.

I do like the idea of a splash workshop like this, especially for would-be trainers who are interested in using the OSGeo-Live as part of their curriculum.

BTW http://www.bostongis.com/ site was created by me.  Sadly I've been too busy as of late to keep it as up to date as I'd like.

Thanks,
Regina

[...]

o    QGIS/PyQGIS
o    PostGIS
o    GeoServer
o    MapServer
o    Web Mapping
o    GRASS GIS
o    GDAL/OGR CLI Tools
o    pgRouting
o    Using OSGeoLive
o    GeoPython
o    GvSig
o    Aerial Mapping and Point Clouds/LIDAR/Photogrammetry
o    Using open source GIS in a cloud environment

Important Dates:
Call for Workshops Closed: March 13, 2017
Workshop Selections Announced: March 20, 2017
Detailed Workshop Program: April 3, 2017
Workshops Take Place at Harvard: August 14/15, 2017

Feel free to contact me at [hidden email] with any questions that you may have, and stay tuned for the FOSS4G call for presentations, which will be opening shortly!

Thanks,
Chris Barnett
---------------------------------
Workshop subcommittee
FOSS4G 2017 Boston LOC

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

Re: FOSS4G 2017 Call for Workshop Proposals - OSGeo-Live

Chris Barnett
Hi Cameron,

I agree that we hopefully should be able to find people to help create workshop material and then help present. We can reach out to our OSGeo-Live community too.

We talked about this at our meeting last night and there was enthusiastic support for the idea. We’re excited to help in whatever way we can with an OSGeo-Live workshop!

With regards to getting OSGeo-Live working in the cloud, I think that would be an excellent goal to work on. We did actually get OSGeo-Live working on one of the early cloud platforms (called click2try which is now out of business).https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Release_35

Would you like to share your ideas about setting up a remote desktop? How are you proposing to set this up technically? What options do we have to help debug? Is it something we can re-use beyond foss4g?

I’m really just at the phase of ascertaining feasibility. My attempt to import the OSGeo Live VM to AWS failed because the AWS import process didn’t support Lubuntu. I think that I probably can get it to work on other cloud hosts, but I haven’t had a chance to test yet. For remote access to the desktop I’ve been using xrdp and tigervnc. This also looks like an interesting option: http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/, as it allows remote access via the browser.

I think it would be fantastic if a cloud version could be reused beyond FOSS4G. Something like a docker image could be a nice solution, as it would be portable across many cloud providers and could also be installed locally.

Is your foss4g committee meeting in person or virtual? If virtual, some of the OSGeo-Live team might be able to join. Alternatively, you might wish to join the OSGeo-Live weekly meeting, Monday 2:30pm in Boston:

I’ll try to make the meeting on Monday!

Thanks,
Chris

On Feb 2, 2017, at 2:25 PM, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Chris, Regina others,

I agree that we hopefully should be able to find people to help create workshop material and then help present. We can reach out to our OSGeo-Live community too.

With regards to getting OSGeo-Live working in the cloud, I think that would be an excellent goal to work on. We did actually get OSGeo-Live working on one of the early cloud platforms (called click2try which is now out of business). https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Release_35

Would you like to share your ideas about setting up a remote desktop? How are you proposing to set this up technically? What options do we have to help debug? Is it something we can re-use beyond foss4g?

Is your foss4g committee meeting in person or virtual? If virtual, some of the OSGeo-Live team might be able to join. Alternatively, you might wish to join the OSGeo-Live weekly meeting, Monday 2:30pm in Boston:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Contact_Us

Warm regards, Cameron