FOSS4G 2016 and 2017 and 2018 Call for Hosting

FOSS4G 2016 and 2017 and 2018 Call for Hosting

Eli Adam
Conference Committee,

Consistent feedback from previous LOCs is "make the FOSS4G LOC
decision with more time before the event".  The 2016 decision is
slated to be made on 2015-03-01 [1].  Should we launch the 2017
process on 2015-03-02?  It seems that LOCs are eagerly awaiting the
opportunity to bid and are more than prepared once the process
happens.

A LOC decision with more time before the event may also be the single
best way to ensure success and reduce risk.  It is also super easy.  I
suggest moving up the 2017 and 2018 timelines.  Until there are
complaints from potential LOCs that the decision is too early or more
importantly if there are no quality bids, then I think the decision
can be made sooner.

Claude, Sorry to hear that there is not suitable date availability at
your top choice venue.  I'm sure that if Lausanne bids it would be one
of several very excellent bids.  Had the bid been earlier and awarded
to Lasanne, I'm sure that the LOC would already be well on the way to
a great conference.

Best regards, Eli

[1] http://www.osgeo.org/conference/rfp/

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 1:01 AM, Claude Philipona
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for launching the process.
>
> We were initially interested in being candidate for the 2016 edition
> in Lausanne 10 years after the 2006 edition and to take advantage of a
> brand new conference venue.
>
> It finally appears that the venue would not be available at suitable
> dates in September 2016. We are still looking if there is other
> suitable dates, but if not, we would not apply for the 2016 edition.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Claude
>
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Jeff McKenna
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The OSGeo Conference Committee the OSGeo Board of Directors are happy to
>> announce the call for hosting
>> the FOSS4G 2016 event.  With the excitement building for the upcoming
>> event in Seoul, and after such a wonderful event in Portland last
>> September, OSGeo again plans on making the 2016 event *the* geospatial
>> conference of the year.  Please see the following page for the actual
>> request for hosting document, as well as upcoming important dates:
>> http://www.osgeo.org/conference/rfp/
>>
>> If you have any questions regarding the 2016 call for hosting, feel free
>> to send an email to the conference-dev mailing list (subscribe at
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev).
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> --
>> OSGeo Conference Committee

Re: FOSS4G 2016 and 2017 and 2018 Call for Hosting

stevenfeldman
I am not sure that I agree that LOCs need or want more than 18-20 months notice. Whilst there may be a benefit in terms of venue booking, there could be a downside in team fatigue and drop out

For FOSS4G2013 we started thinking about the event and putting a team together in September 2011. We were ready with a venue (provisional booking) by the time the call for LoIs came out.

Steven

> On 19 Dec 2014, at 01:13, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Conference Committee,
>
> Consistent feedback from previous LOCs is "make the FOSS4G LOC
> decision with more time before the event".  The 2016 decision is
> slated to be made on 2015-03-01 [1].  Should we launch the 2017
> process on 2015-03-02?  It seems that LOCs are eagerly awaiting the
> opportunity to bid and are more than prepared once the process
> happens.
>
> A LOC decision with more time before the event may also be the single
> best way to ensure success and reduce risk.  It is also super easy.  I
> suggest moving up the 2017 and 2018 timelines.  Until there are
> complaints from potential LOCs that the decision is too early or more
> importantly if there are no quality bids, then I think the decision
> can be made sooner.
>
> Claude, Sorry to hear that there is not suitable date availability at
> your top choice venue.  I'm sure that if Lausanne bids it would be one
> of several very excellent bids.  Had the bid been earlier and awarded
> to Lasanne, I'm sure that the LOC would already be well on the way to
> a great conference.
>
> Best regards, Eli
>

> [1] http://www.osgeo.org/conference/rfp/

Re: FOSS4G 2016 and 2017 and 2018 Call for Hosting

Arnulf Christl

Steven,
in my experience there are several distinct phases and the very initial
phase of selecting a venue, coordinating with parallel events, starting
dialogs about co-location etc. need to be done with enough time to go.
This will typically be done by a small team of initial firestarters.

Later on the team will grow and include others. The last sprint planning
meeting will take place just a few months prior to the conference.

Therefore I would not think that an early CfP will result in a tired or
burnt-out team. It is the responsibility of the LOC chair to manage
accordingly (as you have brilliantly managed to) and take care that the
team will not be stretched too hard (...until a few weeks prior to the
event when the team has to go full throttle).

Cheers,
Arnulf

On 19.12.2014 08:33, Steven Feldman wrote:

> I am not sure that I agree that LOCs need or want more than 18-20
> months notice. Whilst there may be a benefit in terms of venue
> booking, there could be a downside in team fatigue and drop out
>
> For FOSS4G2013 we started thinking about the event and putting a team
> together in September 2011. We were ready with a venue (provisional
> booking) by the time the call for LoIs came out.
>
> Steven
>
>> On 19 Dec 2014, at 01:13, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Conference Committee,
>>
>> Consistent feedback from previous LOCs is "make the FOSS4G LOC
>> decision with more time before the event".  The 2016 decision is
>> slated to be made on 2015-03-01 [1].  Should we launch the 2017
>> process on 2015-03-02?  It seems that LOCs are eagerly awaiting
>> the opportunity to bid and are more than prepared once the process
>> happens.
>>
>> A LOC decision with more time before the event may also be the
>> single best way to ensure success and reduce risk.  It is also
>> super easy.  I suggest moving up the 2017 and 2018 timelines.
>> Until there are complaints from potential LOCs that the decision is
>> too early or more importantly if there are no quality bids, then I
>> think the decision can be made sooner.
>>
>> Claude, Sorry to hear that there is not suitable date availability
>> at your top choice venue.  I'm sure that if Lausanne bids it would
>> be one of several very excellent bids.  Had the bid been earlier
>> and awarded to Lasanne, I'm sure that the LOC would already be well
>> on the way to a great conference.
>>
>> Best regards, Eli
>>

>> [1] http://www.osgeo.org/conference/rfp/

- --
Exploring Space, Time and Mind
http://arnulf.us

Re: FOSS4G 2016 and 2017 and 2018 Call for Hosting

stevenfeldman
Fair points Arnulf

Surely the announcement requesting LoI’s can be anticipated by potential bid teams who can start their venue planning etc before the official announcement.

We know 2016 is Europe, 2017 is America, 2018 is somewhere else 2019 is Europe, 2020 America and 2012 is somewhere else - do teams bidding for 2017 onwards need any more notification than that?
______
Steven

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 5:48 AM, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Fair points Arnulf
>
> Surely the announcement requesting LoI’s can be anticipated by potential bid
> teams who can start their venue planning etc before the official
> announcement.

Writing LoI's is easy and can be done years in advance or the week in
advance.  Reserving venues with a deposit is more of a commitment.

> We know 2016 is Europe, 2017 is America, 2018 is somewhere else 2019 is
> Europe, 2020 America and 2012 is somewhere else - do teams bidding for 2017
> onwards need any more notification than that?

Yes, LOCs need a decision so that they can pay a deposit on their
venue.  Most venues will not reserve without a deposit and most LOCs
won't pay a deposit without a decision that they have been awarded the
bid.

Where is PyCon in 2017?  Oh, Portland [1], they already know far in
advance and will be reserving venues, the same venues that FOSS4G
might be considering.  Same for other cities and other conferences.
The conferences that book the same venues as FOSS4G reserve 2-3 years
in advance, for FOSS4G to have a chance at those venues we need to
reserve on similar time frames (or rely on luck or alternate venues or
adjust the dates).

Best regards, Eli

[1] http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2014/08/portland-chosen-as-pycon-20162017.html

> ______
> Steven
>

> On 19 Dec 2014, at 11:52, Seven (aka Arnulf) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steven,
> in my experience there are several distinct phases and the very initial
> phase of selecting a venue, coordinating with parallel events, starting
> dialogs about co-location etc. need to be done with enough time to go.
> This will typically be done by a small team of initial firestarters.
>
> Later on the team will grow and include others. The last sprint planning
> meeting will take place just a few months prior to the conference.
>
> Therefore I would not think that an early CfP will result in a tired or
> burnt-out team. It is the responsibility of the LOC chair to manage
> accordingly (as you have brilliantly managed to) and take care that the
> team will not be stretched too hard (...until a few weeks prior to the
> event when the team has to go full throttle).
>
> Cheers,
> Arnulf
>
> On 19.12.2014 08:33, Steven Feldman wrote:
>
> I am not sure that I agree that LOCs need or want more than 18-20
> months notice. Whilst there may be a benefit in terms of venue
> booking, there could be a downside in team fatigue and drop out
>
> For FOSS4G2013 we started thinking about the event and putting a team
> together in September 2011. We were ready with a venue (provisional
> booking) by the time the call for LoIs came out.
>
> Steven
>
> On 19 Dec 2014, at 01:13, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Conference Committee,
>
> Consistent feedback from previous LOCs is "make the FOSS4G LOC
> decision with more time before the event".  The 2016 decision is
> slated to be made on 2015-03-01 [1].  Should we launch the 2017
> process on 2015-03-02?  It seems that LOCs are eagerly awaiting
> the opportunity to bid and are more than prepared once the process
> happens.
>
> A LOC decision with more time before the event may also be the
> single best way to ensure success and reduce risk.  It is also
> super easy.  I suggest moving up the 2017 and 2018 timelines.
> Until there are complaints from potential LOCs that the decision is
> too early or more importantly if there are no quality bids, then I
> think the decision can be made sooner.
>
> Claude, Sorry to hear that there is not suitable date availability
> at your top choice venue.  I'm sure that if Lausanne bids it would
> be one of several very excellent bids.  Had the bid been earlier
> and awarded to Lasanne, I'm sure that the LOC would already be well
> on the way to a great conference.
>
> Best regards, Eli
>

> [1] http://www.osgeo.org/conference/rfp/

> - --
> Exploring Space, Time and Mind
> http://arnulf.us

Re: FOSS4G 2016 and 2017 and 2018 Call for Hosting

K.Bott
Another voice from the FOSS4G 2014 LOC -- I'd +1 an earlier bid process from a fundraising angle, too -- many sponsoring orgs set their budgets 12+ months out, and it's harder to approach sponsors if you don't have all of the details nailed down (venue, etc).

-k.bott

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> single best way to ensure success and reduce risk.  It is also
> super easy.  I suggest moving up the 2017 and 2018 timelines.
> Until there are complaints from potential LOCs that the decision is
> too early or more importantly if there are no quality bids, then I
> think the decision can be made sooner.
>
> Claude, Sorry to hear that there is not suitable date availability
> at your top choice venue.  I'm sure that if Lausanne bids it would
> be one of several very excellent bids.  Had the bid been earlier
> and awarded to Lasanne, I'm sure that the LOC would already be well
> on the way to a great conference.
>
> Best regards, Eli
>

> [1] http://www.osgeo.org/conference/rfp/

> - --
> Exploring Space, Time and Mind
> http://arnulf.us

Re: FOSS4G 2016 and 2017 and 2018 Call for Hosting

Cameron Shorter
I'm +0 for moving the conference selection forward.
I suggest start by selecting foss4g-na in 6 months time,
foss4g-(elsewhere) in 12 months.
If that suites people from NA, I suggest raising a motion.

On 23/12/2014 4:13 am, Eli Adam wrote:

> [...]
>> slated to be made on 2015-03-01 [1].  Should we launch the 2017
>> process on 2015-03-02?  It seems that LOCs are eagerly awaiting
>> the opportunity to bid and are more than prepared once the process
>> happens.
>>
>> A LOC decision with more time before the event may also be the
>> single best way to ensure success and reduce risk.  It is also
>> super easy.  I suggest moving up the 2017 and 2018 timelines.
>> Until there are complaints from potential LOCs that the decision is
>> too early or more importantly if there are no quality bids, then I
>> think the decision can be made sooner.
>>
>> Claude, Sorry to hear that there is not suitable date availability
>> at your top choice venue.  I'm sure that if Lausanne bids it would
>> be one of several very excellent bids.  Had the bid been earlier
>> and awarded to Lasanne, I'm sure that the LOC would already be well

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

P +61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F +61 2 9009 5099

Re: FOSS4G 2016 and 2017 and 2018 Call for Hosting

Eli Adam
On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Cameron Shorter
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm +0 for moving the conference selection forward.
> I suggest start by selecting foss4g-na in 6 months time, foss4g-(elsewhere)
> in 12 months.
> If that suites people from NA, I suggest raising a motion.

Selecting FOSS4G 2017 12 months from now would be keeping things about
the same, I don't think a motion is needed to do that.

Eli

> [...]
>>> think the decision can be made sooner.
>>>
>>> Claude, Sorry to hear that there is not suitable date availability
>>> at your top choice venue.  I'm sure that if Lausanne bids it would
>>> be one of several very excellent bids.  Had the bid been earlier
>>> and awarded to Lasanne, I'm sure that the LOC would already be well
>>> on the way to a great conference.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Eli
>>>

>>> [1] http://www.osgeo.org/conference/rfp/

>>> - --
>>> Exploring Space, Time and Mind
>>> http://arnulf.us

> Cameron Shorter,
> Software and Data Solutions Manager
> LISAsoft
> Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
> 26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009
>
> P +61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F +61 2 9009 5099

Re: FOSS4G 2016 and 2017 and 2018 Call for Hosting

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)-2
I think Cameron is saying start the process for 2017 in 6 months from now and for 2018 in 12 months from now.

Bart

Sent from my iPhone

> On 22 dec. 2014, at 22:38, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Cameron Shorter
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm +0 for moving the conference selection forward.
>> I suggest start by selecting foss4g-na in 6 months time, foss4g-(elsewhere)
>> in 12 months.
>> If that suites people from NA, I suggest raising a motion.
>
> Selecting FOSS4G 2017 12 months from now would be keeping things about
> the same, I don't think a motion is needed to do that.
>
> Eli
>

>>> On 23/12/2014 4:13 am, Eli Adam wrote:

>>> Writing LoI's is easy and can be done years in advance or the week in
>>> advance.  Reserving venues with a deposit is more of a commitment.

>>> Yes, LOCs need a decision so that they can pay a deposit on their
>>> venue.  Most venues will not reserve without a deposit and most LOCs
>>> won't pay a deposit without a decision that they have been awarded the
>>> bid.
>>>
>>> Where is PyCon in 2017?  Oh, Portland [1], they already know far in
>>> advance and will be reserving venues, the same venues that FOSS4G
>>> might be considering.  Same for other cities and other conferences.
>>> The conferences that book the same venues as FOSS4G reserve 2-3 years
>>> in advance, for FOSS4G to have a chance at those venues we need to
>>> reserve on similar time frames (or rely on luck or alternate venues or
>>> adjust the dates).
>>>

>>> Best regards, Eli
>>>

>>> [1]
>>> http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2014/08/portland-chosen-as-pycon-20162017.html

>> --
>> Cameron Shorter,
>> Software and Data Solutions Manager
>> LISAsoft
>> Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
>> 26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009
>>
>> P +61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F +61 2 9009 5099

Re: FOSS4G 2016 and 2017 and 2018 Call for Hosting

stevenfeldman
+1 to starting 2017 in 6/15 and 2018 in 12/15

After those to Calls have been completed we can assess whether any further change is needed
______
Steven

On Dec 22, 2014 11:13 PM, "Bart van den Eijnden" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think Cameron is saying start the process for 2017 in 6 months from now and for 2018 in 12 months from now.

Yes, that sounds great.  I'll draft a proposal.

Eli

> Bart
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 22 dec. 2014, at 22:38, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Cameron Shorter
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I'm +0 for moving the conference selection forward.
> >> I suggest start by selecting foss4g-na in 6 months time, foss4g-(elsewhere)
> >> in 12 months.
> >> If that suites people from NA, I suggest raising a motion.
> >
> > Selecting FOSS4G 2017 12 months from now would be keeping things about
> > the same, I don't think a motion is needed to do that.
> >
> > Eli

> >> --
> >> Cameron Shorter,
> >> Software and Data Solutions Manager
> >> LISAsoft
> >> Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
> >> 26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009
> >>
> >> P +61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F +61 2 9009 5099

Re: FOSS4G 2016 and 2017 and 2018 Call for Hosting

David William Bitner-3

+1!