Quantcast

FOSS4G 2012 Timeline

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

FOSS4G 2012 Timeline

Gao Ang
Board,

Thank you all very much for your care and advices about FOSS4G 2012.
The preparation is going smoothly here. After contacting all LoC
members, I represent them to give the summaries about our progress
here.

The venue of FOSS4G 2012 is the Beijing Conference Center. The
conference date is arranged as follows.
9th, Sept. (afternoon) - desk registry (one day after openstreetmap
meeting closing in Tokyo)
10th–11th Sept – Workshops
12th–15th Sept – Tutorial/Technical/Academy Section
16th, Sept – Code Sprint

The milestone is proposed as follows. It is about one month late if
comparing with 2011 events. But it can be recovered very soon in
Chinese way.
1) Web-site release 29th Feb 2012 (can be early, after spring festival)
2) Announcement of Chinese Sponsors 1st March 2012
3) Release of Prospectus for Sponsors 15th March 2012
4) Early Bird Registration Start 15th March 2012 to 15 June 2012
3) Call for Abstracts: Start 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
4) Call for Workshop and tutorials 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
5) Voting for Technical Session Abstract 1 May 2012 - 15th May 2012
6) Abstract acceptance 31 May 2012
7) Workshop acceptance 31 May 2012
8) Call for Full papers for Academic Session 31 May 2012 with deadline
1st July 2012
9) Announcement of Keynote Speakers 1st July 2012
9) Release Conference Program 10th July 2012
10) Issue for support letters for Visa commence 10th July 2012 onwards.
      Visa will be issued in 4 working days at Chinese Embassy or Consulate
       in resident countries.

Now we are preparing the brochure so that we can contact foreign
sponsors with it. For local sponsors, we have contacted Chinese
Academy of Sciences, Supmap GIS and so on. Prof. Song who is now in
Japan, had a full discussion with Prof. Raghvan, collecting a lot of
experiences about past events. We also welcome you for your valuable
suggestions. ("Prof. Song" <[hidden email]>, "Xiong Jie"
<[hidden email]> and I <[hidden email]> will follow the
mail lists and response to the suggestions.)

Best wishes,
Gao
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FOSS4G 2012 Timeline

Gao Ang
Dear Tyler:

Thanks for your greetings.
We will publish the conference website as soon as we can.
And Susan Xiong will update the WIKI in the following 2 days.
We will speed up our work.

Best regards!



On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great to hear and best wishes for your festival time!
>
> Tyler
>
> On 2012-01-23, at 6:20 PM, Gao Ang wrote:
>
>> Board,
>>
>> Thank you all very much for your care and advices about FOSS4G 2012.
>> The preparation is going smoothly here. After contacting all LoC
>> members, I represent them to give the summaries about our progress
>> here.
>>
>> The venue of FOSS4G 2012 is the Beijing Conference Center. The
>> conference date is arranged as follows.
>> 9th, Sept. (afternoon) - desk registry (one day after openstreetmap
>> meeting closing in Tokyo)
>> 10th–11th Sept – Workshops
>> 12th–15th Sept – Tutorial/Technical/Academy Section
>> 16th, Sept – Code Sprint
>>
>> The milestone is proposed as follows. It is about one month late if
>> comparing with 2011 events. But it can be recovered very soon in
>> Chinese way.
>> 1) Web-site release 29th Feb 2012 (can be early, after spring festival)
>> 2) Announcement of Chinese Sponsors 1st March 2012
>> 3) Release of Prospectus for Sponsors 15th March 2012
>> 4) Early Bird Registration Start 15th March 2012 to 15 June 2012
>> 3) Call for Abstracts: Start 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
>> 4) Call for Workshop and tutorials 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
>> 5) Voting for Technical Session Abstract 1 May 2012 - 15th May 2012
>> 6) Abstract acceptance 31 May 2012
>> 7) Workshop acceptance 31 May 2012
>> 8) Call for Full papers for Academic Session 31 May 2012 with deadline
>> 1st July 2012
>> 9) Announcement of Keynote Speakers 1st July 2012
>> 9) Release Conference Program 10th July 2012
>> 10) Issue for support letters for Visa commence 10th July 2012 onwards.
>>      Visa will be issued in 4 working days at Chinese Embassy or Consulate
>>       in resident countries.
>>
>> Now we are preparing the brochure so that we can contact foreign
>> sponsors with it. For local sponsors, we have contacted Chinese
>> Academy of Sciences, Supmap GIS and so on. Prof. Song who is now in
>> Japan, had a full discussion with Prof. Raghvan, collecting a lot of
>> experiences about past events. We also welcome you for your valuable
>> suggestions. ("Prof. Song" <[hidden email]>, "Xiong Jie"
>> <[hidden email]> and I <[hidden email]> will follow the
>> mail lists and response to the suggestions.)
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Gao
>> _______________________________________________
>> Conference_dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FOSS4G 2012 Timeline

Cameron Shorter
In reply to this post by Gao Ang
Gao,
Thank you very much for your email giving us insight into the activities
of your Local Organising Committee.
An email such as this allows our OSGeo international community to gain
an insight into conference preparations, and will create opportunities
for us to work with you to create a successful conference.

Would it be possible for you, or someone else on the organising
committee to provide a regular email update such as this to the
conference email list? I suggest sending around once per week, or maybe
after each LOC meeting you email out key points that have been discussed
or decided.

One question I discussed with you earlier was:
"Could the LOC please commit to handing out an OSGeo-Live [1] DVD (or
USB) at FOSS4G 2012, as has been done at FOSS4G international
conferences since 2009, and also at many local FOSS4G local conferences
too. This will involve including the cost of printing the a DVD or USB
into the conference budget, which will be ~ $1 to $2 per DVD. Should the
LOC commit to handing out the DVD, I will be in a strong position to ask
for volunteers to translate the DVD documentation into Chinese."

Could you please raise this question with your LOC and respond with a
definite yes or no.

[1] http://live.osgeo.org


On 24/01/2012 1:20 PM, Gao Ang wrote:

> Board,
>
> Thank you all very much for your care and advices about FOSS4G 2012.
> The preparation is going smoothly here. After contacting all LoC
> members, I represent them to give the summaries about our progress
> here.
>
> The venue of FOSS4G 2012 is the Beijing Conference Center. The
> conference date is arranged as follows.
> 9th, Sept. (afternoon) - desk registry (one day after openstreetmap
> meeting closing in Tokyo)
> 10th–11th Sept – Workshops
> 12th–15th Sept – Tutorial/Technical/Academy Section
> 16th, Sept – Code Sprint
>
> The milestone is proposed as follows. It is about one month late if
> comparing with 2011 events. But it can be recovered very soon in
> Chinese way.
> 1) Web-site release 29th Feb 2012 (can be early, after spring festival)
> 2) Announcement of Chinese Sponsors 1st March 2012
> 3) Release of Prospectus for Sponsors 15th March 2012
> 4) Early Bird Registration Start 15th March 2012 to 15 June 2012
> 3) Call for Abstracts: Start 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
> 4) Call for Workshop and tutorials 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
> 5) Voting for Technical Session Abstract 1 May 2012 - 15th May 2012
> 6) Abstract acceptance 31 May 2012
> 7) Workshop acceptance 31 May 2012
> 8) Call for Full papers for Academic Session 31 May 2012 with deadline
> 1st July 2012
> 9) Announcement of Keynote Speakers 1st July 2012
> 9) Release Conference Program 10th July 2012
> 10) Issue for support letters for Visa commence 10th July 2012 onwards.
>        Visa will be issued in 4 working days at Chinese Embassy or Consulate
>         in resident countries.
>
> Now we are preparing the brochure so that we can contact foreign
> sponsors with it. For local sponsors, we have contacted Chinese
> Academy of Sciences, Supmap GIS and so on. Prof. Song who is now in
> Japan, had a full discussion with Prof. Raghvan, collecting a lot of
> experiences about past events. We also welcome you for your valuable
> suggestions. ("Prof. Song"<[hidden email]>, "Xiong Jie"
> <[hidden email]>  and I<[hidden email]>  will follow the
> mail lists and response to the suggestions.)
>
> Best wishes,
> Gao
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
http://www.lisasoft.com

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FOSS4G 2012 Timeline

熊洁
Hi, Cameron:

Thanks for your suggestion. We will report the progress in email once a week to the conference list.

About the DVD, we are discussing it with the LOC, hopefully, will hand out the DVD during the conference. Please wait for the answer.

Best Regards!

Susan Xiong

在 2012年1月25日 下午3:54,Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]>写道:
Gao,
Thank you very much for your email giving us insight into the activities of your Local Organising Committee.
An email such as this allows our OSGeo international community to gain an insight into conference preparations, and will create opportunities for us to work with you to create a successful conference.

Would it be possible for you, or someone else on the organising committee to provide a regular email update such as this to the conference email list? I suggest sending around once per week, or maybe after each LOC meeting you email out key points that have been discussed or decided.

One question I discussed with you earlier was:
"Could the LOC please commit to handing out an OSGeo-Live [1] DVD (or USB) at FOSS4G 2012, as has been done at FOSS4G international conferences since 2009, and also at many local FOSS4G local conferences too. This will involve including the cost of printing the a DVD or USB into the conference budget, which will be ~ $1 to $2 per DVD. Should the LOC commit to handing out the DVD, I will be in a strong position to ask for volunteers to translate the DVD documentation into Chinese."

Could you please raise this question with your LOC and respond with a definite yes or no.

[1] http://live.osgeo.org



On 24/01/2012 1:20 PM, Gao Ang wrote:
Board,

Thank you all very much for your care and advices about FOSS4G 2012.
The preparation is going smoothly here. After contacting all LoC
members, I represent them to give the summaries about our progress
here.

The venue of FOSS4G 2012 is the Beijing Conference Center. The
conference date is arranged as follows.
9th, Sept. (afternoon) - desk registry (one day after openstreetmap
meeting closing in Tokyo)
10th–11th Sept – Workshops
12th–15th Sept – Tutorial/Technical/Academy Section
16th, Sept – Code Sprint

The milestone is proposed as follows. It is about one month late if
comparing with 2011 events. But it can be recovered very soon in
Chinese way.
1) Web-site release 29th Feb 2012 (can be early, after spring festival)
2) Announcement of Chinese Sponsors 1st March 2012
3) Release of Prospectus for Sponsors 15th March 2012
4) Early Bird Registration Start 15th March 2012 to 15 June 2012
3) Call for Abstracts: Start 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
4) Call for Workshop and tutorials 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
5) Voting for Technical Session Abstract 1 May 2012 - 15th May 2012
6) Abstract acceptance 31 May 2012
7) Workshop acceptance 31 May 2012
8) Call for Full papers for Academic Session 31 May 2012 with deadline
1st July 2012
9) Announcement of Keynote Speakers 1st July 2012
9) Release Conference Program 10th July 2012
10) Issue for support letters for Visa commence 10th July 2012 onwards.
      Visa will be issued in 4 working days at Chinese Embassy or Consulate
       in resident countries.

Now we are preparing the brochure so that we can contact foreign
sponsors with it. For local sponsors, we have contacted Chinese
Academy of Sciences, Supmap GIS and so on. Prof. Song who is now in
Japan, had a full discussion with Prof. Raghvan, collecting a lot of
experiences about past events. We also welcome you for your valuable
suggestions. ("Prof. Song"<[hidden email]>, "Xiong Jie"
<[hidden email]>  and I<[hidden email]>  will follow the
mail lists and response to the suggestions.)

Best wishes,
Gao
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
http://www.lisasoft.com


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

FOSS4G 2012 Timeline and Academic Track

kobben
In reply to this post by Gao Ang
Dear mr Gao Ang, XianFeng Song and others of the LOC,

Thank you very much for the update on the FOSS4G 2012 Beijing conference.
I was happy to see the detailed timeline and the first draft of the
website.

As you might remember, I am the responsible person for setting up the
Academic Track Publication Outlet for this year's and the future FOSS4G
conferences. We have now secured the Transactions in GIS journal for this
and I am happy to say that the following people have volunteered to be
part of the Scientific Committee: mrs Helena Mitasova, mrs Serena Coetzee
and mr Rafael Moreno.

I am hoping that mr XianFeng Song, the LOC member listed as responsible
for the Academic Track, is willing to also join the Scientific
Committee...?

I am writing mainly because I would like your support in starting up, for
the Academic Track ONLY, the Call for Papers quickly now, ahead of the
schedule you propose. In your milestones there is a 31 March - 30 April
slot for submissions. This is fine for abstracts of technical and business
papers, but too limited for full scientific papers.

In the original timeline for the 2012 Academic Track that I proposed
earlier, the first CfP was planned for February 1. I would really want to
meet that deadline, as otherwise the authors will not have sufficient time
to prepare a journal-worthy paper. Past experience also tells us we need
sufficient time for the revision and final editing stage. The (slightly
changed) timeline for the Academic Track would then be:



* 1st preliminary Call for Papers (basically dates and subject matter): 1
February


* Detailed CfP (with procedures and detailed requirements): 1 March


* Full paper deadline: June 1


* Reviewing decisions: July 1
  => Note that here we would need to decide on acceptance of papers for
presentation at the conference and for inclusion in the Journal. Depending
on the numbers of sessions/slots the LOC will reserve for an academic
track, this might not be the same (i.e. some papers may be deemed good
enough to present, but not in the top 8-10 that fit  in a journal issue).


* Final (revised) papers deadline: September 1


* Final determination of journal contents: September 7


* Conference (10-15 Sep -- Journal content will be known and announced at
the conference)


* publication of special issue: ASAP



Again, to be clear, this would only be for the Academic Track, all your
other milestones would not be influenced by this.

I would really appreciate if the LOC could can let me know, rather
quickly, if they agree with this setup. I realise it might seem that I am
pushing a bit, but I sincerely think that it is necessary to move ahead
quickly on this. We have the opportunity now for a serious and worthwhile
outlet for the Academic Track (TGIS is an ISI-indexed journal) and it
would be a shame to let that opportunity go by.

Yours truly,




--
Barend Köbben
Senior Lecturer, ITC - University of Twente,
Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation
PO Box 217, 7500AE Enschede (The Netherlands)
+31-(0)53 4874 253






On 24-01-12 03:20, "Gao Ang" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Board,
>
>Thank you all very much for your care and advices about FOSS4G 2012.
>The preparation is going smoothly here. After contacting all LoC
>members, I represent them to give the summaries about our progress
>here.
>
>The venue of FOSS4G 2012 is the Beijing Conference Center. The
>conference date is arranged as follows.
>9th, Sept. (afternoon) - desk registry (one day after openstreetmap
>meeting closing in Tokyo)
>10th­11th Sept ­ Workshops
>12th­15th Sept ­ Tutorial/Technical/Academy Section
>16th, Sept ­ Code Sprint
>
>The milestone is proposed as follows. It is about one month late if
>comparing with 2011 events. But it can be recovered very soon in
>Chinese way.
>1) Web-site release 29th Feb 2012 (can be early, after spring festival)
>2) Announcement of Chinese Sponsors 1st March 2012
>3) Release of Prospectus for Sponsors 15th March 2012
>4) Early Bird Registration Start 15th March 2012 to 15 June 2012
>3) Call for Abstracts: Start 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
>4) Call for Workshop and tutorials 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
>5) Voting for Technical Session Abstract 1 May 2012 - 15th May 2012
>6) Abstract acceptance 31 May 2012
>7) Workshop acceptance 31 May 2012
>8) Call for Full papers for Academic Session 31 May 2012 with deadline
>1st July 2012
>9) Announcement of Keynote Speakers 1st July 2012
>9) Release Conference Program 10th July 2012
>10) Issue for support letters for Visa commence 10th July 2012 onwards.
>      Visa will be issued in 4 working days at Chinese Embassy or
>Consulate
>       in resident countries.
>
>Now we are preparing the brochure so that we can contact foreign
>sponsors with it. For local sponsors, we have contacted Chinese
>Academy of Sciences, Supmap GIS and so on. Prof. Song who is now in
>Japan, had a full discussion with Prof. Raghvan, collecting a lot of
>experiences about past events. We also welcome you for your valuable
>suggestions. ("Prof. Song" <[hidden email]>, "Xiong Jie"
><[hidden email]> and I <[hidden email]> will follow the
>mail lists and response to the suggestions.)
>
>Best wishes,
>Gao
>_______________________________________________
>Board mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board


Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
University of Twente
Chamber of Commerce: 501305360000

E-mail disclaimer
The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: FOSS4G 2012 Timeline and Academic Track

Suchith Anand
Thanks Barend for your efforts for this. I hope the LOC strongly provide all needed support for making the Academic Track a great success.

Best wishes,

Suchith

Dr Suchith Anand
Nottingham Geospatial Institute
Nottingham Geospatial Building
University of Nottingham  NG7 2 TU
Tel: (0)115 82 32750
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~lgzwww/contacts/staffPages/SuchithAnand/Suchith%20Anand.htm 
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/cgs/research/researchareas/opensourcegeospatialresearch.aspx 
http://www.opensourcegis.org.uk/ 
http://elogeo.nottingham.ac.uk/ 
http://ica-opensource.scg.ulaval.ca/ 

Mission - Building up Open Source, Open Standards, Open Data research for bridging the digital divide



-----Original Message-----
From: Barend Köbben [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: 30 January 2012 11:00
To: Gao Ang; xianfeng song
Cc: Helena Mitasova; Coetzee Serena; Rafael Moreno; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Subject: FOSS4G 2012 Timeline and Academic Track

Dear mr Gao Ang, XianFeng Song and others of the LOC,

Thank you very much for the update on the FOSS4G 2012 Beijing conference.
I was happy to see the detailed timeline and the first draft of the
website.

As you might remember, I am the responsible person for setting up the
Academic Track Publication Outlet for this year's and the future FOSS4G
conferences. We have now secured the Transactions in GIS journal for this
and I am happy to say that the following people have volunteered to be
part of the Scientific Committee: mrs Helena Mitasova, mrs Serena Coetzee
and mr Rafael Moreno.

I am hoping that mr XianFeng Song, the LOC member listed as responsible
for the Academic Track, is willing to also join the Scientific
Committee...?

I am writing mainly because I would like your support in starting up, for
the Academic Track ONLY, the Call for Papers quickly now, ahead of the
schedule you propose. In your milestones there is a 31 March - 30 April
slot for submissions. This is fine for abstracts of technical and business
papers, but too limited for full scientific papers.

In the original timeline for the 2012 Academic Track that I proposed
earlier, the first CfP was planned for February 1. I would really want to
meet that deadline, as otherwise the authors will not have sufficient time
to prepare a journal-worthy paper. Past experience also tells us we need
sufficient time for the revision and final editing stage. The (slightly
changed) timeline for the Academic Track would then be:



* 1st preliminary Call for Papers (basically dates and subject matter): 1
February


* Detailed CfP (with procedures and detailed requirements): 1 March


* Full paper deadline: June 1


* Reviewing decisions: July 1
  => Note that here we would need to decide on acceptance of papers for
presentation at the conference and for inclusion in the Journal. Depending
on the numbers of sessions/slots the LOC will reserve for an academic
track, this might not be the same (i.e. some papers may be deemed good
enough to present, but not in the top 8-10 that fit  in a journal issue).


* Final (revised) papers deadline: September 1


* Final determination of journal contents: September 7


* Conference (10-15 Sep -- Journal content will be known and announced at
the conference)


* publication of special issue: ASAP



Again, to be clear, this would only be for the Academic Track, all your
other milestones would not be influenced by this.

I would really appreciate if the LOC could can let me know, rather
quickly, if they agree with this setup. I realise it might seem that I am
pushing a bit, but I sincerely think that it is necessary to move ahead
quickly on this. We have the opportunity now for a serious and worthwhile
outlet for the Academic Track (TGIS is an ISI-indexed journal) and it
would be a shame to let that opportunity go by.

Yours truly,




--
Barend Köbben
Senior Lecturer, ITC - University of Twente,
Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation
PO Box 217, 7500AE Enschede (The Netherlands)
+31-(0)53 4874 253






On 24-01-12 03:20, "Gao Ang" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Board,
>
>Thank you all very much for your care and advices about FOSS4G 2012.
>The preparation is going smoothly here. After contacting all LoC
>members, I represent them to give the summaries about our progress
>here.
>
>The venue of FOSS4G 2012 is the Beijing Conference Center. The
>conference date is arranged as follows.
>9th, Sept. (afternoon) - desk registry (one day after openstreetmap
>meeting closing in Tokyo)
>10th­11th Sept ­ Workshops
>12th­15th Sept ­ Tutorial/Technical/Academy Section
>16th, Sept ­ Code Sprint
>
>The milestone is proposed as follows. It is about one month late if
>comparing with 2011 events. But it can be recovered very soon in
>Chinese way.
>1) Web-site release 29th Feb 2012 (can be early, after spring festival)
>2) Announcement of Chinese Sponsors 1st March 2012
>3) Release of Prospectus for Sponsors 15th March 2012
>4) Early Bird Registration Start 15th March 2012 to 15 June 2012
>3) Call for Abstracts: Start 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
>4) Call for Workshop and tutorials 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
>5) Voting for Technical Session Abstract 1 May 2012 - 15th May 2012
>6) Abstract acceptance 31 May 2012
>7) Workshop acceptance 31 May 2012
>8) Call for Full papers for Academic Session 31 May 2012 with deadline
>1st July 2012
>9) Announcement of Keynote Speakers 1st July 2012
>9) Release Conference Program 10th July 2012
>10) Issue for support letters for Visa commence 10th July 2012 onwards.
>      Visa will be issued in 4 working days at Chinese Embassy or
>Consulate
>       in resident countries.
>
>Now we are preparing the brochure so that we can contact foreign
>sponsors with it. For local sponsors, we have contacted Chinese
>Academy of Sciences, Supmap GIS and so on. Prof. Song who is now in
>Japan, had a full discussion with Prof. Raghvan, collecting a lot of
>experiences about past events. We also welcome you for your valuable
>suggestions. ("Prof. Song" <[hidden email]>, "Xiong Jie"
><[hidden email]> and I <[hidden email]> will follow the
>mail lists and response to the suggestions.)
>
>Best wishes,
>Gao
>_______________________________________________
>Board mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board


Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
University of Twente
Chamber of Commerce: 501305360000

E-mail disclaimer
The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment
may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system:
you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the
University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation._______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FOSS4G 2012 Timeline

Cameron Shorter-2
In reply to this post by 熊洁

Thankyou for the feedback. I look forward to further fruitful discussion.

On 30/01/2012 8:24 PM, "熊洁" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, Cameron:

Thanks for your suggestion. We will report the progress in email once a week to the conference list.

About the DVD, we are discussing it with the LOC, hopefully, will hand out the DVD during the conference. Please wait for the answer.

Best Regards!

Susan Xiong

在 2012年1月25日 下午3:54,Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]>写道:
Gao,
Thank you very much for your email giving us insight into the activities of your Local Organising Committee.
An email such as this allows our OSGeo international community to gain an insight into conference preparations, and will create opportunities for us to work with you to create a successful conference.

Would it be possible for you, or someone else on the organising committee to provide a regular email update such as this to the conference email list? I suggest sending around once per week, or maybe after each LOC meeting you email out key points that have been discussed or decided.

One question I discussed with you earlier was:
"Could the LOC please commit to handing out an OSGeo-Live [1] DVD (or USB) at FOSS4G 2012, as has been done at FOSS4G international conferences since 2009, and also at many local FOSS4G local conferences too. This will involve including the cost of printing the a DVD or USB into the conference budget, which will be ~ $1 to $2 per DVD. Should the LOC commit to handing out the DVD, I will be in a strong position to ask for volunteers to translate the DVD documentation into Chinese."

Could you please raise this question with your LOC and respond with a definite yes or no.

[1] http://live.osgeo.org



On 24/01/2012 1:20 PM, Gao Ang wrote:
Board,

Thank you all very much for your care and advices about FOSS4G 2012.
The preparation is going smoothly here. After contacting all LoC
members, I represent them to give the summaries about our progress
here.

The venue of FOSS4G 2012 is the Beijing Conference Center. The
conference date is arranged as follows.
9th, Sept. (afternoon) - desk registry (one day after openstreetmap
meeting closing in Tokyo)
10th–11th Sept – Workshops
12th–15th Sept – Tutorial/Technical/Academy Section
16th, Sept – Code Sprint

The milestone is proposed as follows. It is about one month late if
comparing with 2011 events. But it can be recovered very soon in
Chinese way.
1) Web-site release 29th Feb 2012 (can be early, after spring festival)
2) Announcement of Chinese Sponsors 1st March 2012
3) Release of Prospectus for Sponsors 15th March 2012
4) Early Bird Registration Start 15th March 2012 to 15 June 2012
3) Call for Abstracts: Start 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
4) Call for Workshop and tutorials 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
5) Voting for Technical Session Abstract 1 May 2012 - 15th May 2012
6) Abstract acceptance 31 May 2012
7) Workshop acceptance 31 May 2012
8) Call for Full papers for Academic Session 31 May 2012 with deadline
1st July 2012
9) Announcement of Keynote Speakers 1st July 2012
9) Release Conference Program 10th July 2012
10) Issue for support letters for Visa commence 10th July 2012 onwards.
      Visa will be issued in 4 working days at Chinese Embassy or Consulate
       in resident countries.

Now we are preparing the brochure so that we can contact foreign
sponsors with it. For local sponsors, we have contacted Chinese
Academy of Sciences, Supmap GIS and so on. Prof. Song who is now in
Japan, had a full discussion with Prof. Raghvan, collecting a lot of
experiences about past events. We also welcome you for your valuable
suggestions. ("Prof. Song"<[hidden email]>, "Xiong Jie"
<[hidden email]>  and I<[hidden email]>  will follow the
mail lists and response to the suggestions.)

Best wishes,
Gao
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager
Tel: <a href="tel:%2B61%20%280%292%208570%205050" value="+61285705050" target="_blank">+61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: <a href="tel:%2B61%20%280%29419%20142%20254" value="+61419142254" target="_blank">+61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
http://www.lisasoft.com


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FOSS4G 2012 Timeline and Academic Track

xianfeng song-3
In reply to this post by kobben
Dear Barend,

Thank you for your efforts. We are glad to hear that Helena Mitasova,
Coetzee Serena and Rafael Moreno have agreed to be in the Scientific
Committee.

Is it too early for the final (revised) papers deadline (September 1)
and Final determination of journal contents (September 7)? Journal
worthiness will be judged based on the quality of paper submitted and
also presentation and comments/suggestions received during oral/poster
presentation. Academic Session chairs will be asked to recommend both
oral and poster papers after their hearing the presentations at
FOSS4G2012, I think.

The authors shortlisted for special issue may be informed by 30 Sept,
they will have to submit their final manuscripts and undergo peer
review process as per policy of respective journals. The planned
schedule for review process for special issue is to be completed by
Nov/Dec 2012. For special issue of TGIS, is it for scientific
committee to take care of its peer review process? If so, final
determination of journal contents in TGIS could be easy and move fast
as you suggested.

In many cases, the papers recommended by a conference to be published
in a journal still take time to be reviewed by the journal's own
refereeing system, and even might not be accepted sometime. The
authors might feel not good if their paper were unfortunately rejected
by the journal, but we have announced their names formally in a global
conference. So, a conference announcement (10-15 Sep -- Journal
content will be known and announced at the conference) might not be
necessary, or just suitable for a journal we can guarantee or manage.

Supposed special Issues of
1) Transaction of GIS (Innovative applications using FOSS4G?)
2) Chinese Journal of Geoinformatics or Arid land geography (FOSS4G
applications in China)
3) International Journal of Geoinformatics (FOSS4G uses cases in Asia)
4) IEEE Proceedings (geo-tech related, contacting by Zhou)
5) or OSGeo Journal

Best regards,
Song

P.S.
I also forward this email to LOC as there will be a meeting for
Beijing team soon.



On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Moreno, Rafael
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Barend,
> Good time line.
>
> Just a comment. Final revised papers September 1 is OK.
>
> After this deadline I suggest to have ONE MORE paper resubmission deadline BEFORE the deadline established by the journal.
>
> This year the FINAL REVISED papers still needed a substantial amount of work to have them in publishable form (deficient literature review; methods clarity; language; style; journal format; ect...). Because we left the final revised papers submission to be the same as the deadline for submission to the journal, authors had a difficult time doing the necessary revisions.
>
> Rafael
>
>
> _______________________________________________________
> Rafael Moreno, Ph.D.
> Department of Geography and Environmental Studies
> University of Colorado Denver
> Campus Box 172
> 1200 Larimer Street NC 3524
> Denver, CO 173364
> Phone: 303-352-3762
> Fax 303-556-6197
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Barend Köbben [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 4:00 AM
> To: Gao Ang; xianfeng song
> Cc: Helena Mitasova; Coetzee Serena; Moreno, Rafael; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: FOSS4G 2012 Timeline and Academic Track
>
> Dear mr Gao Ang, XianFeng Song and others of the LOC,
>
> Thank you very much for the update on the FOSS4G 2012 Beijing conference.
> I was happy to see the detailed timeline and the first draft of the website.
>
> As you might remember, I am the responsible person for setting up the Academic Track Publication Outlet for this year's and the future FOSS4G conferences. We have now secured the Transactions in GIS journal for this and I am happy to say that the following people have volunteered to be part of the Scientific Committee: mrs Helena Mitasova, mrs Serena Coetzee and mr Rafael Moreno.
>
> I am hoping that mr XianFeng Song, the LOC member listed as responsible for the Academic Track, is willing to also join the Scientific Committee...?
>
> I am writing mainly because I would like your support in starting up, for the Academic Track ONLY, the Call for Papers quickly now, ahead of the schedule you propose. In your milestones there is a 31 March - 30 April slot for submissions. This is fine for abstracts of technical and business papers, but too limited for full scientific papers.
>
> In the original timeline for the 2012 Academic Track that I proposed earlier, the first CfP was planned for February 1. I would really want to meet that deadline, as otherwise the authors will not have sufficient time to prepare a journal-worthy paper. Past experience also tells us we need sufficient time for the revision and final editing stage. The (slightly
> changed) timeline for the Academic Track would then be:
>
>
>
> * 1st preliminary Call for Papers (basically dates and subject matter): 1 February
>
>
> * Detailed CfP (with procedures and detailed requirements): 1 March
>
>
> * Full paper deadline: June 1
>
>
> * Reviewing decisions: July 1
>  => Note that here we would need to decide on acceptance of papers for presentation at the conference and for inclusion in the Journal. Depending on the numbers of sessions/slots the LOC will reserve for an academic track, this might not be the same (i.e. some papers may be deemed good enough to present, but not in the top 8-10 that fit  in a journal issue).
>
>
> * Final (revised) papers deadline: September 1
>
>
> * Final determination of journal contents: September 7
>
>
> * Conference (10-15 Sep -- Journal content will be known and announced at the conference)
>
>
> * publication of special issue: ASAP
>
>
>
> Again, to be clear, this would only be for the Academic Track, all your other milestones would not be influenced by this.
>
> I would really appreciate if the LOC could can let me know, rather quickly, if they agree with this setup. I realise it might seem that I am pushing a bit, but I sincerely think that it is necessary to move ahead quickly on this. We have the opportunity now for a serious and worthwhile outlet for the Academic Track (TGIS is an ISI-indexed journal) and it would be a shame to let that opportunity go by.
>
> Yours truly,
>
>
>
>
> --
> Barend Köbben
> Senior Lecturer, ITC - University of Twente, Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation PO Box 217, 7500AE Enschede (The Netherlands)
> +31-(0)53 4874 253
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On 24-01-12 03:20, "Gao Ang" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Board,
>>
>>Thank you all very much for your care and advices about FOSS4G 2012.
>>The preparation is going smoothly here. After contacting all LoC
>>members, I represent them to give the summaries about our progress
>>here.
>>
>>The venue of FOSS4G 2012 is the Beijing Conference Center. The
>>conference date is arranged as follows.
>>9th, Sept. (afternoon) - desk registry (one day after openstreetmap
>>meeting closing in Tokyo) 10th­11th Sept ­ Workshops 12th­15th Sept ­
>>Tutorial/Technical/Academy Section 16th, Sept ­ Code Sprint
>>
>>The milestone is proposed as follows. It is about one month late if
>>comparing with 2011 events. But it can be recovered very soon in
>>Chinese way.
>>1) Web-site release 29th Feb 2012 (can be early, after spring festival)
>>2) Announcement of Chinese Sponsors 1st March 2012
>>3) Release of Prospectus for Sponsors 15th March 2012
>>4) Early Bird Registration Start 15th March 2012 to 15 June 2012
>>3) Call for Abstracts: Start 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
>>4) Call for Workshop and tutorials 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April
>>2012
>>5) Voting for Technical Session Abstract 1 May 2012 - 15th May 2012
>>6) Abstract acceptance 31 May 2012
>>7) Workshop acceptance 31 May 2012
>>8) Call for Full papers for Academic Session 31 May 2012 with deadline
>>1st July 2012
>>9) Announcement of Keynote Speakers 1st July 2012
>>9) Release Conference Program 10th July 2012
>>10) Issue for support letters for Visa commence 10th July 2012 onwards.
>>      Visa will be issued in 4 working days at Chinese Embassy or
>>Consulate
>>       in resident countries.
>>
>>Now we are preparing the brochure so that we can contact foreign
>>sponsors with it. For local sponsors, we have contacted Chinese Academy
>>of Sciences, Supmap GIS and so on. Prof. Song who is now in Japan, had
>>a full discussion with Prof. Raghvan, collecting a lot of experiences
>>about past events. We also welcome you for your valuable suggestions.
>>("Prof. Song" <[hidden email]>, "Xiong Jie"
>><[hidden email]> and I <[hidden email]> will follow the
>>mail lists and response to the suggestions.)
>>
>>Best wishes,
>>Gao
>>_______________________________________________
>>Board mailing list
>>[hidden email]
>>http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
>
>
> Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) University of Twente Chamber of Commerce: 501305360000
>
> E-mail disclaimer
> The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FOSS4G 2012 Timeline and Academic Track

kobben
Dear mr Xianfeng Song,

Thank you for reacting to my earlier email. Let me remind you that
originally, I was asked to "strengthen the Academic Track" following up on
a MoU between OSGEO and the ICA. The idea was not to take over all
organisation of the AT, but to let most things be worked on (as usual) by
the LOC and just act as a sort of 'special issue overview group'  to make
sure there would be enough quality for a special ISI journal issue in the
coming years. In the mean time we have a preliminary OK from Transactions
of GIS editor John Wilson for a special issue running for several years.
So the Scientific Committee would act as editors for this special issue.
And the original idea was also to have the AT CfP and selection done
enough early to have the Special Issue available at the conference itself
(as is the case with the special issue TGIS has every year at the ESRI
User Conference). We realized that this would not be possible in 2012, but
it is what we aim for in future years. And in 2012 we already want the
special issue papers selected BEFORE the conference.

Thus, there would be no need for chairs of the sessions to judge quality
based on, and during, oral/poster presentation. We think that you can not
judge the quality of a paper based on its presented version, it should be
properly peer reviewed based on its actual written contents.

But our planned time-line for the special issue came into problems,
because of the various delays and the lack of communication. I must admit
that I thought a week or so ago that the whole conference would not
materialise, as nothing seemed to happen on the Beijing end. Now,
fortunately that fear seems misplaced, with the time-line sent in the
email from mr Gao Ang. However, his planned time-line for things like
publishing the website and the Call for Papers might be OK for the general
conference, but way to late to have any realistic hope for enough
high-quality academic papers to fill a TGIS issue before the conference.


With all this in mind I decided to send my latest email (30 januari) to
the LOC; and yes, it is a bit invasive (some might say rude, sorry for
that), but I felt that this was needed to clarify if we can organize the
Academic Track the way we envisaged.

So I would urgently ask you and the rest of the LOC to decide in their
upcoming meeting:
- Do you feel comfortable in having the Scientific Committee as it stands
now (mrs Coetzee, mrs Mitasova, mr Moreno, myself, and including, as I
sincerely hope, mr Xianfeng Song) take up organization of the CfP and
paper selection for the Academic Track? It would mean we would follow our
own time-line for this, and we would sent a CfP for the AT out quickly,
ahead of the general FOSS4G CfP.

Let me assure you that I will not feel in the least offended if you decide
that this line of action does not fit your current conference set-up. I
would be perfectly OK with having the LOC take up te organisation
themselves along the lines they have already planned. We can then take the
initiative of the special issue running for several years to 2013 and
further.

I hope this clarifies my earlier email, please feel free to provide
further questions or comments.

Yours truly,


--
Barend Köbben
Senior Lecturer, ITC - University of Twente,
Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation
PO Box 217, 7500AE Enschede (The Netherlands)
+31-(0)53 4874 253







On 31-01-12 05:31, "xianfeng song" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Dear Barend,
>
>Thank you for your efforts. We are glad to hear that Helena Mitasova,
>Coetzee Serena and Rafael Moreno have agreed to be in the Scientific
>Committee.
>
>Is it too early for the final (revised) papers deadline (September 1)
>and Final determination of journal contents (September 7)? Journal
>worthiness will be judged based on the quality of paper submitted and
>also presentation and comments/suggestions received during oral/poster
>presentation. Academic Session chairs will be asked to recommend both
>oral and poster papers after their hearing the presentations at
>FOSS4G2012, I think.
>
>The authors shortlisted for special issue may be informed by 30 Sept,
>they will have to submit their final manuscripts and undergo peer
>review process as per policy of respective journals. The planned
>schedule for review process for special issue is to be completed by
>Nov/Dec 2012. For special issue of TGIS, is it for scientific
>committee to take care of its peer review process? If so, final
>determination of journal contents in TGIS could be easy and move fast
>as you suggested.
>
>In many cases, the papers recommended by a conference to be published
>in a journal still take time to be reviewed by the journal's own
>refereeing system, and even might not be accepted sometime. The
>authors might feel not good if their paper were unfortunately rejected
>by the journal, but we have announced their names formally in a global
>conference. So, a conference announcement (10-15 Sep -- Journal
>content will be known and announced at the conference) might not be
>necessary, or just suitable for a journal we can guarantee or manage.
>
>Supposed special Issues of
>1) Transaction of GIS (Innovative applications using FOSS4G?)
>2) Chinese Journal of Geoinformatics or Arid land geography (FOSS4G
>applications in China)
>3) International Journal of Geoinformatics (FOSS4G uses cases in Asia)
>4) IEEE Proceedings (geo-tech related, contacting by Zhou)
>5) or OSGeo Journal
>
>Best regards,
>Song
>
>P.S.
>I also forward this email to LOC as there will be a meeting for
>Beijing team soon.
>
>
>
>On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Moreno, Rafael
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Barend,
>> Good time line.
>>
>> Just a comment. Final revised papers September 1 is OK.
>>
>> After this deadline I suggest to have ONE MORE paper resubmission
>>deadline BEFORE the deadline established by the journal.
>>
>> This year the FINAL REVISED papers still needed a substantial amount of
>>work to have them in publishable form (deficient literature review;
>>methods clarity; language; style; journal format; ect...). Because we
>>left the final revised papers submission to be the same as the deadline
>>for submission to the journal, authors had a difficult time doing the
>>necessary revisions.
>>
>> Rafael
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________________
>> Rafael Moreno, Ph.D.
>> Department of Geography and Environmental Studies
>> University of Colorado Denver
>> Campus Box 172
>> 1200 Larimer Street NC 3524
>> Denver, CO 173364
>> Phone: 303-352-3762
>> Fax 303-556-6197
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Barend Köbben [mailto:[hidden email]]
>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 4:00 AM
>> To: Gao Ang; xianfeng song
>> Cc: Helena Mitasova; Coetzee Serena; Moreno, Rafael;
>>[hidden email]; [hidden email]
>> Subject: FOSS4G 2012 Timeline and Academic Track
>>
>> Dear mr Gao Ang, XianFeng Song and others of the LOC,
>>
>> Thank you very much for the update on the FOSS4G 2012 Beijing
>>conference.
>> I was happy to see the detailed timeline and the first draft of the
>>website.
>>
>> As you might remember, I am the responsible person for setting up the
>>Academic Track Publication Outlet for this year's and the future FOSS4G
>>conferences. We have now secured the Transactions in GIS journal for
>>this and I am happy to say that the following people have volunteered to
>>be part of the Scientific Committee: mrs Helena Mitasova, mrs Serena
>>Coetzee and mr Rafael Moreno.
>>
>> I am hoping that mr XianFeng Song, the LOC member listed as responsible
>>for the Academic Track, is willing to also join the Scientific
>>Committee...?
>>
>> I am writing mainly because I would like your support in starting up,
>>for the Academic Track ONLY, the Call for Papers quickly now, ahead of
>>the schedule you propose. In your milestones there is a 31 March - 30
>>April slot for submissions. This is fine for abstracts of technical and
>>business papers, but too limited for full scientific papers.
>>
>> In the original timeline for the 2012 Academic Track that I proposed
>>earlier, the first CfP was planned for February 1. I would really want
>>to meet that deadline, as otherwise the authors will not have sufficient
>>time to prepare a journal-worthy paper. Past experience also tells us we
>>need sufficient time for the revision and final editing stage. The
>>(slightly
>> changed) timeline for the Academic Track would then be:
>>
>>
>>
>> * 1st preliminary Call for Papers (basically dates and subject matter):
>>1 February
>>
>>
>> * Detailed CfP (with procedures and detailed requirements): 1 March
>>
>>
>> * Full paper deadline: June 1
>>
>>
>> * Reviewing decisions: July 1
>>  => Note that here we would need to decide on acceptance of papers for
>>presentation at the conference and for inclusion in the Journal.
>>Depending on the numbers of sessions/slots the LOC will reserve for an
>>academic track, this might not be the same (i.e. some papers may be
>>deemed good enough to present, but not in the top 8-10 that fit  in a
>>journal issue).
>>
>>
>> * Final (revised) papers deadline: September 1
>>
>>
>> * Final determination of journal contents: September 7
>>
>>
>> * Conference (10-15 Sep -- Journal content will be known and announced
>>at the conference)
>>
>>
>> * publication of special issue: ASAP
>>
>>
>>
>> Again, to be clear, this would only be for the Academic Track, all your
>>other milestones would not be influenced by this.
>>
>> I would really appreciate if the LOC could can let me know, rather
>>quickly, if they agree with this setup. I realise it might seem that I
>>am pushing a bit, but I sincerely think that it is necessary to move
>>ahead quickly on this. We have the opportunity now for a serious and
>>worthwhile outlet for the Academic Track (TGIS is an ISI-indexed
>>journal) and it would be a shame to let that opportunity go by.
>>
>> Yours truly,
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Barend Köbben
>> Senior Lecturer, ITC - University of Twente, Faculty of Geo-Information
>>Science and Earth Observation PO Box 217, 7500AE Enschede (The
>>Netherlands)
>> +31-(0)53 4874 253
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 24-01-12 03:20, "Gao Ang" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>Board,
>>>
>>>Thank you all very much for your care and advices about FOSS4G 2012.
>>>The preparation is going smoothly here. After contacting all LoC
>>>members, I represent them to give the summaries about our progress
>>>here.
>>>
>>>The venue of FOSS4G 2012 is the Beijing Conference Center. The
>>>conference date is arranged as follows.
>>>9th, Sept. (afternoon) - desk registry (one day after openstreetmap
>>>meeting closing in Tokyo) 10th­11th Sept ­ Workshops 12th­15th Sept ­
>>>Tutorial/Technical/Academy Section 16th, Sept ­ Code Sprint
>>>
>>>The milestone is proposed as follows. It is about one month late if
>>>comparing with 2011 events. But it can be recovered very soon in
>>>Chinese way.
>>>1) Web-site release 29th Feb 2012 (can be early, after spring festival)
>>>2) Announcement of Chinese Sponsors 1st March 2012
>>>3) Release of Prospectus for Sponsors 15th March 2012
>>>4) Early Bird Registration Start 15th March 2012 to 15 June 2012
>>>3) Call for Abstracts: Start 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
>>>4) Call for Workshop and tutorials 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April
>>>2012
>>>5) Voting for Technical Session Abstract 1 May 2012 - 15th May 2012
>>>6) Abstract acceptance 31 May 2012
>>>7) Workshop acceptance 31 May 2012
>>>8) Call for Full papers for Academic Session 31 May 2012 with deadline
>>>1st July 2012
>>>9) Announcement of Keynote Speakers 1st July 2012
>>>9) Release Conference Program 10th July 2012
>>>10) Issue for support letters for Visa commence 10th July 2012 onwards.
>>>      Visa will be issued in 4 working days at Chinese Embassy or
>>>Consulate
>>>       in resident countries.
>>>
>>>Now we are preparing the brochure so that we can contact foreign
>>>sponsors with it. For local sponsors, we have contacted Chinese Academy
>>>of Sciences, Supmap GIS and so on. Prof. Song who is now in Japan, had
>>>a full discussion with Prof. Raghvan, collecting a lot of experiences
>>>about past events. We also welcome you for your valuable suggestions.
>>>("Prof. Song" <[hidden email]>, "Xiong Jie"
>>><[hidden email]> and I <[hidden email]> will follow the
>>>mail lists and response to the suggestions.)
>>>
>>>Best wishes,
>>>Gao
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>Board mailing list
>>>[hidden email]
>>>http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
>>
>>
>> Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
>>University of Twente Chamber of Commerce: 501305360000
>>
>> E-mail disclaimer
>> The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended
>>for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
>>hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in
>>relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If
>>you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and
>>any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no
>>liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage
>>of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
University of Twente
Chamber of Commerce: 501305360000

E-mail disclaimer
The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FOSS4G 2012 Timeline and Academic Track

xianfeng song-3
Dear Kobben and all,

First of all thanks for your effort towards the TGIS FOSS4G special
issues and for inviting me to be a members of the committee to bring
out the volume along you, Helena, Serena and Rafael. We also welcome
you to lead the TGIS special issue with a sub-committee including the
members that you mentioned. The Academic Committee for FOSS4G-2012
will consists of several other members involved in FOSS4G research and
education. We also plan to being out special issues of other journals
apart from the TGIS that you plan to coordinate.

We had a loc meeting for organization works here 3rd Feb. About your
suggestions, an early CfP is welcome, but final paper deadline for
journals and journal contents determination are too early. I
summarized our talks on the meeting as follows.
(1) A CfP could be early, e.g. Call for Abstracts (with procedures and
detailed requirements): 1 March 2012 as you suggested. Before it is in
the end of March.
(2) But the determinations of journal contents will be after conference.

The review progress will be in the way as follows.
(1) BEFORE MEETING. All academic papers will be reviewed and ranked
together, and good quality papers are selected for presentation and
poster. This work will be done by many experts listed or not in
academic session committee. The length of a full paper for conference
is 4-6 pages, final submission in ieee paper styles or template
suggested by committee or loc.
(2) AFTER MEETING. High ranked papers will be sorted by the thematic
topics of each special issue. Which paper should be shortlisted for
further journal publication, depends on the recommendations from the
group organized by a special issue coordinator. The suggestion from
the presentation session chair is also valuable. For a special issue,
paper contents, length and styles should be further suggested by
author information of the journal or the special issue coordinators.

Best regards,
Song


On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Barend Köbben <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear mr Xianfeng Song,
>
> Thank you for reacting to my earlier email. Let me remind you that
> originally, I was asked to "strengthen the Academic Track" following up on
> a MoU between OSGEO and the ICA. The idea was not to take over all
> organisation of the AT, but to let most things be worked on (as usual) by
> the LOC and just act as a sort of 'special issue overview group'  to make
> sure there would be enough quality for a special ISI journal issue in the
> coming years. In the mean time we have a preliminary OK from Transactions
> of GIS editor John Wilson for a special issue running for several years.
> So the Scientific Committee would act as editors for this special issue.
> And the original idea was also to have the AT CfP and selection done
> enough early to have the Special Issue available at the conference itself
> (as is the case with the special issue TGIS has every year at the ESRI
> User Conference). We realized that this would not be possible in 2012, but
> it is what we aim for in future years. And in 2012 we already want the
> special issue papers selected BEFORE the conference.
>
> Thus, there would be no need for chairs of the sessions to judge quality
> based on, and during, oral/poster presentation. We think that you can not
> judge the quality of a paper based on its presented version, it should be
> properly peer reviewed based on its actual written contents.
>
> But our planned time-line for the special issue came into problems,
> because of the various delays and the lack of communication. I must admit
> that I thought a week or so ago that the whole conference would not
> materialise, as nothing seemed to happen on the Beijing end. Now,
> fortunately that fear seems misplaced, with the time-line sent in the
> email from mr Gao Ang. However, his planned time-line for things like
> publishing the website and the Call for Papers might be OK for the general
> conference, but way to late to have any realistic hope for enough
> high-quality academic papers to fill a TGIS issue before the conference.
>
>
> With all this in mind I decided to send my latest email (30 januari) to
> the LOC; and yes, it is a bit invasive (some might say rude, sorry for
> that), but I felt that this was needed to clarify if we can organize the
> Academic Track the way we envisaged.
>
> So I would urgently ask you and the rest of the LOC to decide in their
> upcoming meeting:
> - Do you feel comfortable in having the Scientific Committee as it stands
> now (mrs Coetzee, mrs Mitasova, mr Moreno, myself, and including, as I
> sincerely hope, mr Xianfeng Song) take up organization of the CfP and
> paper selection for the Academic Track? It would mean we would follow our
> own time-line for this, and we would sent a CfP for the AT out quickly,
> ahead of the general FOSS4G CfP.
>
> Let me assure you that I will not feel in the least offended if you decide
> that this line of action does not fit your current conference set-up. I
> would be perfectly OK with having the LOC take up te organisation
> themselves along the lines they have already planned. We can then take the
> initiative of the special issue running for several years to 2013 and
> further.
>
> I hope this clarifies my earlier email, please feel free to provide
> further questions or comments.
>
> Yours truly,
>
>
> --
> Barend Köbben
> Senior Lecturer, ITC - University of Twente,
> Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation
> PO Box 217, 7500AE Enschede (The Netherlands)
> +31-(0)53 4874 253
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On 31-01-12 05:31, "xianfeng song" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Dear Barend,
>>
>>Thank you for your efforts. We are glad to hear that Helena Mitasova,
>>Coetzee Serena and Rafael Moreno have agreed to be in the Scientific
>>Committee.
>>
>>Is it too early for the final (revised) papers deadline (September 1)
>>and Final determination of journal contents (September 7)? Journal
>>worthiness will be judged based on the quality of paper submitted and
>>also presentation and comments/suggestions received during oral/poster
>>presentation. Academic Session chairs will be asked to recommend both
>>oral and poster papers after their hearing the presentations at
>>FOSS4G2012, I think.
>>
>>The authors shortlisted for special issue may be informed by 30 Sept,
>>they will have to submit their final manuscripts and undergo peer
>>review process as per policy of respective journals. The planned
>>schedule for review process for special issue is to be completed by
>>Nov/Dec 2012. For special issue of TGIS, is it for scientific
>>committee to take care of its peer review process? If so, final
>>determination of journal contents in TGIS could be easy and move fast
>>as you suggested.
>>
>>In many cases, the papers recommended by a conference to be published
>>in a journal still take time to be reviewed by the journal's own
>>refereeing system, and even might not be accepted sometime. The
>>authors might feel not good if their paper were unfortunately rejected
>>by the journal, but we have announced their names formally in a global
>>conference. So, a conference announcement (10-15 Sep -- Journal
>>content will be known and announced at the conference) might not be
>>necessary, or just suitable for a journal we can guarantee or manage.
>>
>>Supposed special Issues of
>>1) Transaction of GIS (Innovative applications using FOSS4G?)
>>2) Chinese Journal of Geoinformatics or Arid land geography (FOSS4G
>>applications in China)
>>3) International Journal of Geoinformatics (FOSS4G uses cases in Asia)
>>4) IEEE Proceedings (geo-tech related, contacting by Zhou)
>>5) or OSGeo Journal
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Song
>>
>>P.S.
>>I also forward this email to LOC as there will be a meeting for
>>Beijing team soon.
>>
>>
>>
>>On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Moreno, Rafael
>><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Barend,
>>> Good time line.
>>>
>>> Just a comment. Final revised papers September 1 is OK.
>>>
>>> After this deadline I suggest to have ONE MORE paper resubmission
>>>deadline BEFORE the deadline established by the journal.
>>>
>>> This year the FINAL REVISED papers still needed a substantial amount of
>>>work to have them in publishable form (deficient literature review;
>>>methods clarity; language; style; journal format; ect...). Because we
>>>left the final revised papers submission to be the same as the deadline
>>>for submission to the journal, authors had a difficult time doing the
>>>necessary revisions.
>>>
>>> Rafael
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________________
>>> Rafael Moreno, Ph.D.
>>> Department of Geography and Environmental Studies
>>> University of Colorado Denver
>>> Campus Box 172
>>> 1200 Larimer Street NC 3524
>>> Denver, CO 173364
>>> Phone: 303-352-3762
>>> Fax 303-556-6197
>>>
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Barend Köbben [mailto:[hidden email]]
>>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 4:00 AM
>>> To: Gao Ang; xianfeng song
>>> Cc: Helena Mitasova; Coetzee Serena; Moreno, Rafael;
>>>[hidden email]; [hidden email]
>>> Subject: FOSS4G 2012 Timeline and Academic Track
>>>
>>> Dear mr Gao Ang, XianFeng Song and others of the LOC,
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for the update on the FOSS4G 2012 Beijing
>>>conference.
>>> I was happy to see the detailed timeline and the first draft of the
>>>website.
>>>
>>> As you might remember, I am the responsible person for setting up the
>>>Academic Track Publication Outlet for this year's and the future FOSS4G
>>>conferences. We have now secured the Transactions in GIS journal for
>>>this and I am happy to say that the following people have volunteered to
>>>be part of the Scientific Committee: mrs Helena Mitasova, mrs Serena
>>>Coetzee and mr Rafael Moreno.
>>>
>>> I am hoping that mr XianFeng Song, the LOC member listed as responsible
>>>for the Academic Track, is willing to also join the Scientific
>>>Committee...?
>>>
>>> I am writing mainly because I would like your support in starting up,
>>>for the Academic Track ONLY, the Call for Papers quickly now, ahead of
>>>the schedule you propose. In your milestones there is a 31 March - 30
>>>April slot for submissions. This is fine for abstracts of technical and
>>>business papers, but too limited for full scientific papers.
>>>
>>> In the original timeline for the 2012 Academic Track that I proposed
>>>earlier, the first CfP was planned for February 1. I would really want
>>>to meet that deadline, as otherwise the authors will not have sufficient
>>>time to prepare a journal-worthy paper. Past experience also tells us we
>>>need sufficient time for the revision and final editing stage. The
>>>(slightly
>>> changed) timeline for the Academic Track would then be:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> * 1st preliminary Call for Papers (basically dates and subject matter):
>>>1 February
>>>
>>>
>>> * Detailed CfP (with procedures and detailed requirements): 1 March
>>>
>>>
>>> * Full paper deadline: June 1
>>>
>>>
>>> * Reviewing decisions: July 1
>>>  => Note that here we would need to decide on acceptance of papers for
>>>presentation at the conference and for inclusion in the Journal.
>>>Depending on the numbers of sessions/slots the LOC will reserve for an
>>>academic track, this might not be the same (i.e. some papers may be
>>>deemed good enough to present, but not in the top 8-10 that fit  in a
>>>journal issue).
>>>
>>>
>>> * Final (revised) papers deadline: September 1
>>>
>>>
>>> * Final determination of journal contents: September 7
>>>
>>>
>>> * Conference (10-15 Sep -- Journal content will be known and announced
>>>at the conference)
>>>
>>>
>>> * publication of special issue: ASAP
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Again, to be clear, this would only be for the Academic Track, all your
>>>other milestones would not be influenced by this.
>>>
>>> I would really appreciate if the LOC could can let me know, rather
>>>quickly, if they agree with this setup. I realise it might seem that I
>>>am pushing a bit, but I sincerely think that it is necessary to move
>>>ahead quickly on this. We have the opportunity now for a serious and
>>>worthwhile outlet for the Academic Track (TGIS is an ISI-indexed
>>>journal) and it would be a shame to let that opportunity go by.
>>>
>>> Yours truly,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Barend Köbben
>>> Senior Lecturer, ITC - University of Twente, Faculty of Geo-Information
>>>Science and Earth Observation PO Box 217, 7500AE Enschede (The
>>>Netherlands)
>>> +31-(0)53 4874 253
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On 24-01-12 03:20, "Gao Ang" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>>Board,
>>>>
>>>>Thank you all very much for your care and advices about FOSS4G 2012.
>>>>The preparation is going smoothly here. After contacting all LoC
>>>>members, I represent them to give the summaries about our progress
>>>>here.
>>>>
>>>>The venue of FOSS4G 2012 is the Beijing Conference Center. The
>>>>conference date is arranged as follows.
>>>>9th, Sept. (afternoon) - desk registry (one day after openstreetmap
>>>>meeting closing in Tokyo) 10th­11th Sept ­ Workshops 12th­15th Sept ­
>>>>Tutorial/Technical/Academy Section 16th, Sept ­ Code Sprint
>>>>
>>>>The milestone is proposed as follows. It is about one month late if
>>>>comparing with 2011 events. But it can be recovered very soon in
>>>>Chinese way.
>>>>1) Web-site release 29th Feb 2012 (can be early, after spring festival)
>>>>2) Announcement of Chinese Sponsors 1st March 2012
>>>>3) Release of Prospectus for Sponsors 15th March 2012
>>>>4) Early Bird Registration Start 15th March 2012 to 15 June 2012
>>>>3) Call for Abstracts: Start 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
>>>>4) Call for Workshop and tutorials 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April
>>>>2012
>>>>5) Voting for Technical Session Abstract 1 May 2012 - 15th May 2012
>>>>6) Abstract acceptance 31 May 2012
>>>>7) Workshop acceptance 31 May 2012
>>>>8) Call for Full papers for Academic Session 31 May 2012 with deadline
>>>>1st July 2012
>>>>9) Announcement of Keynote Speakers 1st July 2012
>>>>9) Release Conference Program 10th July 2012
>>>>10) Issue for support letters for Visa commence 10th July 2012 onwards.
>>>>      Visa will be issued in 4 working days at Chinese Embassy or
>>>>Consulate
>>>>       in resident countries.
>>>>
>>>>Now we are preparing the brochure so that we can contact foreign
>>>>sponsors with it. For local sponsors, we have contacted Chinese Academy
>>>>of Sciences, Supmap GIS and so on. Prof. Song who is now in Japan, had
>>>>a full discussion with Prof. Raghvan, collecting a lot of experiences
>>>>about past events. We also welcome you for your valuable suggestions.
>>>>("Prof. Song" <[hidden email]>, "Xiong Jie"
>>>><[hidden email]> and I <[hidden email]> will follow the
>>>>mail lists and response to the suggestions.)
>>>>
>>>>Best wishes,
>>>>Gao
>>>>_______________________________________________
>>>>Board mailing list
>>>>[hidden email]
>>>>http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
>>>
>>>
>>> Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
>>>University of Twente Chamber of Commerce: 501305360000
>>>
>>> E-mail disclaimer
>>> The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended
>>>for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
>>>hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in
>>>relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If
>>>you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and
>>>any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no
>>>liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage
>>>of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
>
>
> Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
> University of Twente
> Chamber of Commerce: 501305360000
>
> E-mail disclaimer
> The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FOSS4G 2012 Timeline

熊洁
In reply to this post by Cameron Shorter-2
Hi, Cameron,

About your suggestion of handing out an OSGeo-Live  DVD, the answer is yes.
the LOC has decided to hand out OSGeo Live DVD during FOSS4G 2012  for free.

Best,

Susan Xiong


在 2012年1月31日 上午5:02,Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]>写道:

Thankyou for the feedback. I look forward to further fruitful discussion.

On 30/01/2012 8:24 PM, "熊洁" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, Cameron:

Thanks for your suggestion. We will report the progress in email once a week to the conference list.

About the DVD, we are discussing it with the LOC, hopefully, will hand out the DVD during the conference. Please wait for the answer.

Best Regards!

Susan Xiong

在 2012年1月25日 下午3:54,Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]>写道:
Gao,
Thank you very much for your email giving us insight into the activities of your Local Organising Committee.
An email such as this allows our OSGeo international community to gain an insight into conference preparations, and will create opportunities for us to work with you to create a successful conference.

Would it be possible for you, or someone else on the organising committee to provide a regular email update such as this to the conference email list? I suggest sending around once per week, or maybe after each LOC meeting you email out key points that have been discussed or decided.

One question I discussed with you earlier was:
"Could the LOC please commit to handing out an OSGeo-Live [1] DVD (or USB) at FOSS4G 2012, as has been done at FOSS4G international conferences since 2009, and also at many local FOSS4G local conferences too. This will involve including the cost of printing the a DVD or USB into the conference budget, which will be ~ $1 to $2 per DVD. Should the LOC commit to handing out the DVD, I will be in a strong position to ask for volunteers to translate the DVD documentation into Chinese."

Could you please raise this question with your LOC and respond with a definite yes or no.

[1] http://live.osgeo.org



On 24/01/2012 1:20 PM, Gao Ang wrote:
Board,

Thank you all very much for your care and advices about FOSS4G 2012.
The preparation is going smoothly here. After contacting all LoC
members, I represent them to give the summaries about our progress
here.

The venue of FOSS4G 2012 is the Beijing Conference Center. The
conference date is arranged as follows.
9th, Sept. (afternoon) - desk registry (one day after openstreetmap
meeting closing in Tokyo)
10th–11th Sept – Workshops
12th–15th Sept – Tutorial/Technical/Academy Section
16th, Sept – Code Sprint

The milestone is proposed as follows. It is about one month late if
comparing with 2011 events. But it can be recovered very soon in
Chinese way.
1) Web-site release 29th Feb 2012 (can be early, after spring festival)
2) Announcement of Chinese Sponsors 1st March 2012
3) Release of Prospectus for Sponsors 15th March 2012
4) Early Bird Registration Start 15th March 2012 to 15 June 2012
3) Call for Abstracts: Start 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
4) Call for Workshop and tutorials 31 March 2012 - Close 30th April 2012
5) Voting for Technical Session Abstract 1 May 2012 - 15th May 2012
6) Abstract acceptance 31 May 2012
7) Workshop acceptance 31 May 2012
8) Call for Full papers for Academic Session 31 May 2012 with deadline
1st July 2012
9) Announcement of Keynote Speakers 1st July 2012
9) Release Conference Program 10th July 2012
10) Issue for support letters for Visa commence 10th July 2012 onwards.
      Visa will be issued in 4 working days at Chinese Embassy or Consulate
       in resident countries.

Now we are preparing the brochure so that we can contact foreign
sponsors with it. For local sponsors, we have contacted Chinese
Academy of Sciences, Supmap GIS and so on. Prof. Song who is now in
Japan, had a full discussion with Prof. Raghvan, collecting a lot of
experiences about past events. We also welcome you for your valuable
suggestions. ("Prof. Song"<[hidden email]>, "Xiong Jie"
<[hidden email]>  and I<[hidden email]>  will follow the
mail lists and response to the suggestions.)

Best wishes,
Gao
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager
Tel: <a href="tel:%2B61%20%280%292%208570%205050" value="+61285705050" target="_blank">+61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: <a href="tel:%2B61%20%280%29419%20142%20254" value="+61419142254" target="_blank">+61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
http://www.lisasoft.com


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev



_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Loading...