FOSS for Application Schema development

ldesousa
Dear all,

I would like to develop a GML application schema [0] from an existing domain model. This is essentially an XSD file that can later be used by a WFS server like GeoServer. I am only aware of the Geospatial extension to Enterprise Architect [0], a tool that costs tens of thousands of euros.

Is there any FOSS alternative? What would be in general the FOSS way of developing an application schema?

Thank you.

Re: FOSS for Application Schema development

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)-2

What about HALE?

https://www.wetransform.to/products/halestudio/

Best regards,

Bart

On 15-08-18 12:40, Luí­s Moreira de Sousa wrote:
Dear all,

I would like to develop a GML application schema [0] from an existing domain model. This is essentially an XSD file that can later be used by a WFS server like GeoServer. I am only aware of the Geospatial extension to Enterprise Architect [0], a tool that costs tens of thousands of euros.

Is there any FOSS alternative? What would be in general the FOSS way of developing an application schema?

Thank you.

Re: FOSS for Application Schema development

ldesousa
Dear Bart,

thank you for the reply. If I understand correctly, HALE is an ETL, not a development tool. I.e., it can extract an XSD schema from an existing data store, but it does not allow the development of a domain specific model, for instance with an application schema UML profile. Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like something quite different from Enterprise Architect.

Thank you.
--
Luís Moreira de Sousa

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

On 15 August 2018 1:03 PM, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]> wrote:

What about HALE?

https://www.wetransform.to/products/halestudio/

Best regards,

Bart

On 15-08-18 12:40, Luí­s Moreira de Sousa wrote:
Dear all,

I would like to develop a GML application schema [0] from an existing domain model. This is essentially an XSD file that can later be used by a WFS server like GeoServer. I am only aware of the Geospatial extension to Enterprise Architect [0], a tool that costs tens of thousands of euros.

Is there any FOSS alternative? What would be in general the FOSS way of developing an application schema?

Thank you.

Re: FOSS for Application Schema development

최규성
Dear All,

I agree with Bart's understanding in the attached reply mail.

While the original subject raised by Bart has been also of my great interest, this seems to get less attention from the Discussion List members. I myself have no good idea other than Enterprise Architect by Sparx Systems. Is there anybody who can answer more about Bart's questions;
- Is there any FOSS alternative?
- What would be in general the FOSS way of developing an application schema?

Hoping to get feedbacks... Thanks in advance,

Kyu-sung Choi
EZMapping, Seoul, Korea (M. +82-10-5414-4374)

Re: FOSS for Application Schema development

Jorge Samuel Mendes de Jesus

Hi to all

I am going to reply  to this thread with a big disclaimer: Never tested or serious read the docs

With this tool:

https://shapechange.net/

If you have a UML model in XMI format you could probably use it to generate a Application Schema

So far I havent found serious documentation (for dummies) on how to do an application schema aside from some docs from OGC of already "standards" using application schema (https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=31065)

Also, there is an ISO that could contain interesting information

ISO 19109:2015 - Geographic information -- Rules for application schema

But again pay wall to have access to information that IMHO should be open source

Jorge

On 17-08-18 09:55, 최규성 wrote:
Dear All,

I agree with Bart's understanding in the attached reply mail.

While the original subject raised by Bart has been also of my great interest, this seems to get less attention from the Discussion List members. I myself have no good idea other than Enterprise Architect by Sparx Systems. Is there anybody who can answer more about Bart's questions;
- Is there any FOSS alternative?
- What would be in general the FOSS way of developing an application schema?

Hoping to get feedbacks... Thanks in advance,

Kyu-sung Choi
EZMapping, Seoul, Korea (M. +82-10-5414-4374)

Re: FOSS for Application Schema development

Even Rouault-2

Looking at one existing GeoSciML schema, I see a mention it was generated by
ShapeChange, a GPL tool :

https://shapechange.net/get-started/

Even

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to develop a GML application schema [0] from an existing domain
> model. This is essentially an XSD file that can later be used by a WFS
> server like GeoServer. I am only aware of the Geospatial extension to
> Enterprise Architect [0], a tool that costs tens of thousands of euros.
>
> Is there any FOSS alternative? What would be in general the FOSS way of
> developing an application schema?
>
> Thank you.
>
> [0] http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/gml
>
> [1]
> http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/12.1/geospatial
> _modeling/generate_gml_application_schem.html --
> Luís Moreira de Sousa
>
> Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com) Secure Email.

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: FOSS for Application Schema development

Cameron Shorter
A number of years back there was an Australian government sponsored development of developing application schemas and open source tools.
At the time I was involved in it, the tools were functional and powerful, but still needed polish and were hard to get going.

Here are some details to the project:
https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/wiki/Siss/FullMoon

Hopefully some of the people involved in the project can add more details. (Hello Rob Atkinson?)

On 17-08-18 09:55, 최규성 wrote:
Dear All,

I agree with Bart's understanding in the attached reply mail.

While the original subject raised by Bart has been also of my great interest, this seems to get less attention from the Discussion List members. I myself have no good idea other than Enterprise Architect by Sparx Systems. Is there anybody who can answer more about Bart's questions;
- Is there any FOSS alternative?
- What would be in general the FOSS way of developing an application schema?

Hoping to get feedbacks... Thanks in advance,

Kyu-sung Choi
EZMapping, Seoul, Korea (M. +82-10-5414-4374)

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: FOSS for Application Schema development

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
My recollection is that FullMoon is a tool for converting XMI models
into XSD schemas. If I recall correctly, the users I worked with all
used Sparx Enterprise Architect to generate XMI models.

The GeoSciML maintainers publish Enterprise Architect UML .eap files:
http://www.geosciml.org/

I have dabbled with several open source UML editors with XMI support but
do not like any of them enough to mention their names, let alone
recommend them.

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 18/08/18 11:52, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> A number of years back there was an Australian government sponsored
> development of developing application schemas and open source tools.
> At the time I was involved in it, the tools were functional and
> powerful, but still needed polish and were hard to get going.
>
> Here are some details to the project:
> https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/wiki/Siss/FullMoon
>
> Hopefully some of the people involved in the project can add more
> details. (Hello Rob Atkinson?)
>

> On 17/8/18 6:06 pm, Jorge S Mendes de Jesus wrote:
>>
>> Hi to all
>>
>> I am going to reply  to this thread with a big disclaimer: Never
>> tested or serious read the docs
>>
>> With this tool:
>>
>> https://shapechange.net/
>>
>> If you have a UML model in XMI format you could probably use it to
>> generate a Application Schema
>>

>> So far I havent found serious documentation***(for dummies**) *on how
>> to do an application schema aside from some docs from OGC of already
>> "standards" using application schema
>> (https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=31065)
>>

>> Also, there is an ISO that could contain interesting information
>>
>> ISO 19109:2015 - Geographic information -- Rules for application schema
>>
>> But again pay wall to have access to information that IMHO should be
>> open source
>>
>> Jorge
>>
>> On 17-08-18 09:55, 최규성 wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I agree with Bart's understanding in the attached reply mail.
>>>
>>> While the original subject raised by Bart has been also of my great
>>> interest, this seems to get less attention from the Discussion List
>>> members. I myself have no good idea other than Enterprise Architect
>>> by Sparx Systems. Is there anybody who can answer more about Bart's
>>> questions;
>>> - Is there any FOSS alternative?
>>> - What would be in general the FOSS way of developing an application
>>> schema?
>>>
>>> Hoping to get feedbacks... Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Kyu-sung Choi
>>> EZMapping, Seoul, Korea (M. +82-10-5414-4374)

Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
New Zealand

Re: FOSS for Application Schema development

최규성
Dear Friends,

Regarding this subject, I've got quite satisfactory answers from many of you including Jorge, Even, Cameron and Ben. It was really helpful and will guide me a way forward. Thanks to all~

Having an explicit consent from Luis, who raised the original request, we may close this incident. Will it be okay?

P.S. Luis Moreira de Sousa: Sorry for my confusion with the name in my previous email.

Best regards,

Kyu-sung Choi
EZMapping, Seoul, Korea (M. +82-10-5414-4374)

Re: FOSS for Application Schema development

ldesousa
Dear Ben,

I have worked with Papyrus for nearly a decade. I developed DSMLs on it and Eclipse-integrated code generators using MOFM2T supported by Acceleo. It is a rather powerful tool, and quite deep, which I imagine is the reason why some folk do not fancy it.

I find it tragic to have what is supposed to be an open standard pretty much dependent on such an expensive tool as EA, when obvious FOSS alternatives exist.

I shall give a try to ShapeChange with a Papyrus generated XMI.

Regards.

--
Luís Moreira de Sousa
Bowlespark 8

On 18 August 2018 2:29 AM, Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My recollection is that FullMoon is a tool for converting XMI models
> into XSD schemas. If I recall correctly, the users I worked with all
> used Sparx Enterprise Architect to generate XMI models.
>
> The GeoSciML maintainers publish Enterprise Architect UML .eap files:
> http://www.geosciml.org/
>
> I have dabbled with several open source UML editors with XMI support but
> do not like any of them enough to mention their names, let alone
> recommend them.
>
> Kind regards,
> Ben.
>
> On 18/08/18 11:52, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>
> > A number of years back there was an Australian government sponsored
> > development of developing application schemas and open source tools.
> > At the time I was involved in it, the tools were functional and
> > powerful, but still needed polish and were hard to get going.
> > Here are some details to the project:
> > https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/wiki/Siss/FullMoon
> > Hopefully some of the people involved in the project can add more
> > details. (Hello Rob Atkinson?)
> > On 17/8/18 6:06 pm, Jorge S Mendes de Jesus wrote:
> >
> > > Hi to all
> > > I am going to reply  to this thread with a big disclaimer: Never
> > > tested or serious read the docs
> > > With this tool:
> > > https://shapechange.net/
> > > If you have a UML model in XMI format you could probably use it to
> > > generate a Application Schema
> > > So far I havent found serious documentation***(for dummies**) *on how
> > > to do an application schema aside from some docs from OGC of already
> > > "standards" using application schema
> > > (https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=31065)
> > > Also, there is an ISO that could contain interesting information
> > > ISO 19109:2015 - Geographic information -- Rules for application schema
> > > But again pay wall to have access to information that IMHO should be
> > > open source
> > > Jorge

> > > Discuss mailing list
> > > [hidden email]
> > > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
>
> --
>
> Ben Caradoc-Davies [hidden email]
> Director
> Transient Software Limited https://transient.nz/
> New Zealand

Re: FOSS for Application Schema development

ldesousa
Dear Kyu-sung,

I was not aware it was possible to close threads at this list. Please leave it open, as it appears the discussion is just starting.

Thank you.

--
Luís Moreira de Sousa