Quantcast

FILE .dwg and .cad

herman palaquium
hi all

how to import to the data view from file extension dwg and extension cad

i cannot open that from add vector command or add raster command icon

lovely QGIS "thetys"

HERMAN

Re: FILE .dwg and .cad

Giovanni Manghi
Hi,

> how to import to the data view from file extension dwg and extension cad

you cannot open the .dwg files, because the format is really a closed
one.

Surprisingly there is another popular open source gis software that can
open this kind of files, maybe people that uses it can tell here how
this is possible.

Don't know about .cad ones.

cheers

-- Giovanni --

Re: FILE .dwg and .cad

Noli Sicad
I think read/write DWG and DXF formats is support in GDAL now, if I am
not mistaken

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DxfDwg

http://mateusz.loskot.net/2006/01/03/writing-dwgdxf-files-with-ogr/

What it needs is QGIS plugin.

BTW, there is Dxf2shp (Dxf to shapefile) plugin available.

I hope this is clear enough to be undestood,  not to mention QGIS uses GDAL.

Noli

On 9/4/10, Giovanni Manghi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> how to import to the data view from file extension dwg and extension cad
>

> you cannot open the .dwg files, because the format is really a closed
> one.
>
> Surprisingly there is another popular open source gis software that can
> open this kind of files, maybe people that uses it can tell here how
> this is possible.
>
> Don't know about .cad ones.
>
> cheers
>
> -- Giovanni --

Re: FILE .dwg and .cad

Alex Mandel-2
Careful reading of that page indicates the drive is "write-only" for
DWG. There is no read for DWG. It also is not supplied by default, must
be added like ECW and MrSid.

DXF on the other hand is read/write under the default GDAL.

At least according to what I see on those pages.

Thanks,
Alex

On 09/03/2010 03:06 PM, Noli Sicad wrote:

> I think read/write DWG and DXF formats is support in GDAL now, if I am
> not mistaken
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DxfDwg
>
> http://mateusz.loskot.net/2006/01/03/writing-dwgdxf-files-with-ogr/
>
> What it needs is QGIS plugin.
>
> BTW, there is Dxf2shp (Dxf to shapefile) plugin available.
>
> I hope this is clear enough to be undestood,  not to mention QGIS uses GDAL.
>
> Noli
>
> On 9/4/10, Giovanni Manghi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> how to import to the data view from file extension dwg and extension cad
>>

>> you cannot open the .dwg files, because the format is really a closed
>> one.
>>
>> Surprisingly there is another popular open source gis software that can
>> open this kind of files, maybe people that uses it can tell here how
>> this is possible.
>>
>> Don't know about .cad ones.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> -- Giovanni --

Re: FILE .dwg and .cad

Noli Sicad
Alex, thanks for the correction.

This is a library to allow reading data from a DWG file.
http://libdwg.sourceforge.net/en/

Noli

On 9/4/10, Alex Mandel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Careful reading of that page indicates the drive is "write-only" for
> DWG. There is no read for DWG. It also is not supplied by default, must
> be added like ECW and MrSid.
>
> DXF on the other hand is read/write under the default GDAL.
>
> At least according to what I see on those pages.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On 09/03/2010 03:06 PM, Noli Sicad wrote:
>> I think read/write DWG and DXF formats is support in GDAL now, if I am
>> not mistaken
>>
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DxfDwg
>>
>> http://mateusz.loskot.net/2006/01/03/writing-dwgdxf-files-with-ogr/
>>
>> What it needs is QGIS plugin.
>>
>> BTW, there is Dxf2shp (Dxf to shapefile) plugin available.
>>
>> I hope this is clear enough to be undestood,  not to mention QGIS uses
>> GDAL.
>>
>> Noli
>>
>> On 9/4/10, Giovanni Manghi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> you cannot open the .dwg files, because the format is really a closed
>>> one.
>>>
>>> Surprisingly there is another popular open source gis software that can
>>> open this kind of files, maybe people that uses it can tell here how
>>> this is possible.
>>>
>>> Don't know about .cad ones.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> -- Giovanni --

Re: FILE .dwg and .cad

Alex Mandel-2
Good find, looks like that one has closed development and refers people
now to http://www.gnu.org/software/libredwg/

I suggest checking the GDAL tickets to see if there is something along
these lines and if not put in an enhancement ticket to see if someone
can get gdal to use this library.

Thanks,
Alex

On 09/03/2010 06:08 PM, Noli Sicad wrote:

> Alex, thanks for the correction.
>
> This is a library to allow reading data from a DWG file.
> http://libdwg.sourceforge.net/en/
>
> Noli
>
> On 9/4/10, Alex Mandel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Careful reading of that page indicates the drive is "write-only" for
>> DWG. There is no read for DWG. It also is not supplied by default, must
>> be added like ECW and MrSid.
>>
>> DXF on the other hand is read/write under the default GDAL.
>>
>> At least according to what I see on those pages.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>>
>> On 09/03/2010 03:06 PM, Noli Sicad wrote:
>>> I think read/write DWG and DXF formats is support in GDAL now, if I am
>>> not mistaken
>>>
>>> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DxfDwg
>>>
>>> http://mateusz.loskot.net/2006/01/03/writing-dwgdxf-files-with-ogr/
>>>
>>> What it needs is QGIS plugin.
>>>
>>> BTW, there is Dxf2shp (Dxf to shapefile) plugin available.
>>>
>>> I hope this is clear enough to be undestood,  not to mention QGIS uses
>>> GDAL.
>>>
>>> Noli

Re: FILE .dwg and .cad

Noli Sicad
Beter news, there is even GRASS plugin / addon using LibreDWG

It imports dwg files as vector data. The plugin is in
grass-addons/vector/v.in.redwg

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libredwg/2010-08/msg00007.html

I wonder if you can get this plugin and put it in the grass plugins for QGIS.

How does the QGIS Grass plugin works with GRASS plugin / addon?

Noli

On 9/4/10, Alex Mandel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good find, looks like that one has closed development and refers people
> now to http://www.gnu.org/software/libredwg/
>
> I suggest checking the GDAL tickets to see if there is something along
> these lines and if not put in an enhancement ticket to see if someone
> can get gdal to use this library.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On 09/03/2010 06:08 PM, Noli Sicad wrote:
>> Alex, thanks for the correction.
>>
>> This is a library to allow reading data from a DWG file.
>> http://libdwg.sourceforge.net/en/
>>
>> Noli
>>
>> On 9/4/10, Alex Mandel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Careful reading of that page indicates the drive is "write-only" for
>>> DWG. There is no read for DWG. It also is not supplied by default, must
>>> be added like ECW and MrSid.
>>>
>>> DXF on the other hand is read/write under the default GDAL.
>>>
>>> At least according to what I see on those pages.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alex

Re: FILE .dwg and .cad

Paolo Cavallini
Il 04/09/2010 04:36, Noli Sicad ha scritto:

> Beter news, there is even GRASS plugin / addon using LibreDWG
>
> It imports dwg files as vector data. The plugin is in
> grass-addons/vector/v.in.redwg
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libredwg/2010-08/msg00007.html
>
> I wonder if you can get this plugin and put it in the grass plugins for QGIS.
>
> How does the QGIS Grass plugin works with GRASS plugin / addon?

Quite interesting, but I do not think it is suitable for production.
So it may not be appropriate to add it to trunk.
I think it would be better to use libredwg directly, rather than passing through
GRASS. The GRASS addon itself seems fairly simple, so it should not be too difficult
to rewrite it for QGIS.
All the best.

Re: FILE .dwg and .cad

Andreas Neumann

Currently, the dxf2shp plugin is more or less the only way to import dxf
data to QGIS, by converting the dxf to multiple shapefiles.

OGR (GDAL) recently included improvements for reading and writing in QGIS,
but because QGIS cannot read several geometry types from one single file,
it cannot be loaded directly from OGR without additional work in QGIS.

DWG is again a different beast. There is the opendwg library (that needs
to be licensed), and there are the attempts of other OS projects. However,
DWG is a complex format, and it changes with every new Autocad releases.
Not fun to write a reader/converter for.

It is therefore unlikely that QGIS will soon have DWG support. You should
ask the supplier of the file to deliver it in dxf or other more readable
formats.

Andreas

On Fri, September 3, 2010 5:10 pm, herman palaquium wrote:

> hi all
>
> how to import to the data view from file extension dwg and extension cad
>
> i cannot open that from add vector command or add raster command icon
>
> lovely QGIS "thetys"
>
> HERMAN

Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/
http://www.svgopen.org/

RE: FILE .dwg and .cad

dncarreira
Andreas,

But QGIS reads DGN files directly, I assume through OGR, and with all geometry types in a single layer. We can then filter each geometry type and save to shapefile. Can't QGIS work the same way with DWG theoretically? If/when OGR provides a dwg driver that is similar to the dgn driver, then I would assume this would work.

Duarte

Enviada: sábado, 4 de Setembro de 2010 22:36
Para: herman palaquium
Cc: [hidden email]
Assunto: Re: [Qgis-user] FILE .dwg and .cad

Hi,

Currently, the dxf2shp plugin is more or less the only way to import dxf
data to QGIS, by converting the dxf to multiple shapefiles.

OGR (GDAL) recently included improvements for reading and writing in QGIS,
but because QGIS cannot read several geometry types from one single file,
it cannot be loaded directly from OGR without additional work in QGIS.

DWG is again a different beast. There is the opendwg library (that needs
to be licensed), and there are the attempts of other OS projects. However,
DWG is a complex format, and it changes with every new Autocad releases.
Not fun to write a reader/converter for.

It is therefore unlikely that QGIS will soon have DWG support. You should
ask the supplier of the file to deliver it in dxf or other more readable
formats.

Andreas

On Fri, September 3, 2010 5:10 pm, herman palaquium wrote:

> hi all
>
> how to import to the data view from file extension dwg and extension cad
>
> i cannot open that from add vector command or add raster command icon
>
> lovely QGIS "thetys"
>
> HERMAN

Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/
http://www.svgopen.org/

Re: FILE .dwg and .cad

Andreas Neumann
  Hi,

And how are multiple geometry types treated with DGN-loading in QGIS?
Sorry, I don't have a dgn at hand to test.

It all comes down that QGIS can't digest more than one geometry type in
one layer, and there is no way of splitting the content of a single
source out to multiple QGIS layers in one go. Once that would be solved,
we could properly handle a number of data sources that provide more than
one geometry type from one source.

Andreas

On 9/6/10 4:52 PM, Duarte Carreira wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> But QGIS reads DGN files directly, I assume through OGR, and with all geometry types in a single layer. We can then filter each geometry type and save to shapefile. Can't QGIS work the same way with DWG theoretically? If/when OGR provides a dwg driver that is similar to the dgn driver, then I would assume this would work.
>
> Duarte

Re: FILE .dwg and .cad

Paolo Cavallini
Il 06/09/2010 16:52, Duarte Carreira ha scritto:
> Andreas,
>
> But QGIS reads DGN files directly, I assume through OGR, and with all geometry types in a single layer. We can then filter each geometry type and save to shapefile. Can't QGIS work the same way with DWG theoretically? If/when OGR provides a dwg driver that is similar to the dgn driver, then I would assume this would work.

Hi Duarte.
Could you please share a DGN file with these characteristics, for further tests? You
could attach it to an appropriate ticket for future reference.
Thanks.

Re: FILE .dwg and .cad

Alister Hood
If anyone is interested, I made a Mapinfo .tab file with multiple
geometries.  QGIS says it is a polygon layer, and ignores the point
data, but does display the polylines.  I'm not sure whether this means
the polylines are actually stored as polygons though.
How do you "filter each geometry type and save to shapefile"?  Maybe DGN
files are handled differently from .tab files...

Alister

> Il 06/09/2010 16:52, Duarte Carreira ha scritto:
> > Andreas,
> >
> > But QGIS reads DGN files directly, I assume through OGR, and with
all geometry types in a single layer. We can then filter each geometry
type and save to shapefile. Can't QGIS work the same way with DWG
theoretically? If/when OGR provides a dwg driver that is similar to the
dgn driver, then I would assume this would work.

> Hi Duarte.
> Could you please share a DGN file with these characteristics, for
further > tests? You
> could attach it to an appropriate ticket for future reference.
> Thanks.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini: http://www.faunalia.it/pc

Desktop.zip (2K) Download Attachment

Matplotlib-dependent plugins and OSGeo4W

Benoit de Cabissole-2
Hi All OSGeo4W users/developers,

If you are like me, you cannot run any of the plugins that are dependent on
the matplotlib module.
Each time I install such a plugin I've got an error telling me that a
dependency is missing: tkinter.

I've just realised that the default 'gui backend' in the OSGeo4W matplotlib
is tkinter, but tkinter is not installed and not available (AFAIK) in
OSGeo4W!

The solution, change the default 'gui backend' from tkinter to qt4. Here is
how:

1) copy the file 'matplotlibrc' from
"C:\...\OSGeo4W\apps\python25\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\mpl-data" to
"C:\Documents and Settings\--your user name here--\.matplotlib

2) edit the above file and change the line 31 from:
    backend      : TkAgg
to:
    backend      : Qt4Agg

3) restart QGIS and install a matplotlib-dependant plugin. It should work.
I've tested with Lionel Roubeyrie's contour plugin and could, at last,
generate contours from shapefile points!

Hope the above is of some help!

Cheers,
Benoit

P.S. If an OSGeo4W maintainer reads this could you please change the default
gui backend to QT4?