FDO RFC 70 - Migrate FDO to VS 2015 compiler

FDO RFC 70 - Migrate FDO to VS 2015 compiler

Karsten Winter
Hi all,

I've added a new RFC for review

http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FDORfc70

Please review and provide any comments or feedback.

Thanks
Karsten

Re: FDO RFC 70 - Migrate FDO to VS 2015 compiler

Jackie Ng
Hi Karsten,

If FDO is only ever going to be built by one specific version of MSVC. Wouldn't it be better to just lose the _vs15 prefix for all solution files and replace/overwrite whatever existing un-prefixed solution files that are already in there?

- Jackie

Re: FDO RFC 70 - Migrate FDO to VS 2015 compiler

Karsten Winter
Hi Jackie

when all agree to get rid of the old VS 2008 solutions, which still exist without any suffix, then we can do this.

Best regards
Karsten

Re: FDO RFC 70 - Migrate FDO to VS 2015 compiler

Greg Boone
Has anyone ever used the 2008 solutions? If the answer is no then... let's clean up. Speak now or hold your peace.

when all agree to get rid of the old VS 2008 solutions, which still exist without any suffix, then we can do this.

Best regards
Karsten

Re: FDO RFC 70 - Migrate FDO to VS 2015 compiler

Jackie Ng
I've never used them so +1 from me for wholesale replacement

- Jackie

Re: FDO RFC 70 - Migrate FDO to VS 2015 compiler

Haris Kurtagic
Hi Greg,
I am still using 2008 solutions/projects. Having one solution, multiple projects with different 'Platform Toolset' could be way to have less files.
In newer studios it is possible to import one project into another and override properties like 'Platform Toolset' so you end up with one base project.

e.g.  fdo_v100.vcxproj :
<Import Project="fdo_v100.props" />
 <Import Project="fdo.vcxproj" />

Haris

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 8:34 PM, Greg Boone <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone ever used the 2008 solutions? If the answer is no then... let's clean up. Speak now or hold your peace.

when all agree to get rid of the old VS 2008 solutions, which still exist without any suffix, then we can do this.

Best regards
Karsten

Re: FDO RFC 70 - Migrate FDO to VS 2015 compiler

Karsten Winter
Ok, then we will keep the VS 2008 solutions.
When someone is interested then he/she can create a new RFC to prepare the solution files (and everything related to it) like Haris has proposed.

Best regards
Karsten