FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Daniel Morissette
Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Per the Mentor Guidelines at:
>
>   http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/mentor.html
>
> I'd like the mentors to report to the committee on the incubation
> status of the various projects.  The reports will presumably point to the
> official status wiki pages for some of the content, so I think the report
> should summarize progress and roadblocks.

FDO has just entered incubation after MapGuide graduated a week or so
ago. Some of the incubation work has been done at the same time as
MapGuide, so the project has a good head start, but there is still work
to do. Here is a status update:

1- Incubation Status:

FDO Incubation Status page not created yet (or I could not find it
anyway). When it's created a link should be added in
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Incubation_Committee#Progress

2- Source code Provenance review:

The work done so far is at
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FDO_Provenance_Review but I have not
reviewed it yet.

3- Project Steering Committee

There is a draft PSC document at http://fdo.osgeo.org/psc.html.
Apparently the PSC has not been officially formed yet, but from
following the mapguide-internals list they seem to operate as a
pseudo-PSC already, with motions and votes on the list once in a while,
etc. This will be sorted out soon I'm sure.

I followed the fdo-internals list for a little while and didn't get the
feeling that the FDO team is as open and active on the public list as
the mapguide team for instance. It could also just be a false impression
because it's a smaller group and there is less work and traffic
happening on that list... or maybe because until now I was just lurking
and not trying to make sense of the fdo-internals traffic? We'll see.

That's all I have for now.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Daniel Morissette
Daniel Morissette wrote:

> 3- Project Steering Committee
>
> There is a draft PSC document at http://fdo.osgeo.org/psc.html.
> Apparently the PSC has not been officially formed yet, but from
> following the mapguide-internals list they seem to operate as a
> pseudo-PSC already, with motions and votes on the list once in a while,
> etc. This will be sorted out soon I'm sure.

OOpppss... typo: of course here I meant fdo-internals list and not
mapguide-internals.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

RE: FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Greg Boone
[GB] Feedback inline...

> I'd like the mentors to report to the committee on the incubation
> status of the various projects.  The reports will presumably point to
the
> official status wiki pages for some of the content, so I think the
report
> should summarize progress and roadblocks.

FDO has just entered incubation after MapGuide graduated a week or so
ago. Some of the incubation work has been done at the same time as
MapGuide, so the project has a good head start, but there is still work
to do. Here is a status update:

1- Incubation Status:

FDO Incubation Status page not created yet (or I could not find it
anyway). When it's created a link should be added in
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Incubation_Committee#Progress

[GB] Done. Refer to
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FDO_Incubation_Status

2- Source code Provenance review:

The work done so far is at
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FDO_Provenance_Review but I have not
reviewed it yet.

[GB] This link probably needs to be updated. We have added additional
files since this document was written

3- Project Steering Committee

There is a draft PSC document at http://fdo.osgeo.org/psc.html.
Apparently the PSC has not been officially formed yet, but from
following the mapguide-internals list they seem to operate as a
pseudo-PSC already, with motions and votes on the list once in a while,
etc. This will be sorted out soon I'm sure.

[GB] The PSC has been formed. Refer to
http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/ProjectSteeringCommittee

[GB] However, so far we have only had a single meeting.

I followed the fdo-internals list for a little while and didn't get the
feeling that the FDO team is as open and active on the public list as
the mapguide team for instance. It could also just be a false impression
because it's a smaller group and there is less work and traffic
happening on that list... or maybe because until now I was just lurking
and not trying to make sense of the fdo-internals traffic? We'll see.

[GB] We have fewer users than MapGuide but an equal or greater number of
developers. We have 12+ Autodesk developers plus 3 external developers.
Most of the traffic we have experienced on the lists so far originates
from new FDO Provider development rather than user feedback. Also, I
notice that a proportion of FDO user questions and issues are sent to
the MapGuide users list. This is somewhat logical in that MapGuide is
currently the only open source project using FDO.

That's all I have for now.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Daniel Morissette
Thanks for taking the time to address my questions. One last question
inline below...

Greg Boone wrote:

> Daniel Morissette wrote:
>
> 3- Project Steering Committee
>
> There is a draft PSC document at http://fdo.osgeo.org/psc.html.
> Apparently the PSC has not been officially formed yet, but from
> following the mapguide-internals list they seem to operate as a
> pseudo-PSC already, with motions and votes on the list once in a while,
> etc. This will be sorted out soon I'm sure.
>
> [GB] The PSC has been formed. Refer to
> http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/ProjectSteeringCommittee
>
> [GB] However, so far we have only had a single meeting.

I could not find any trace of a vote to approve the PSC document. The
minutes of the first IRC meeting mention that Bob was going to update
the PSC doc and send a motion for vote on the list (presumably meaning
fdo-psc list at the time). Unfortunately the fdo-psc list archives seem
to have been lost when fdo-dev + fdo-psc merged into what is currently
fdo-internals. I found some fdo-psc emails around that date in my
personal archives but nothing about a vote to approve the PSC doc.

I don't want to be a pain about this, just want to make sure that the
PSC doc that's currently at http://fdo.osgeo.org/psc.html is final and
has been approved. If that's the case then the [Draft] in the title
should be removed since that suggests that the doc has not been approved
yet. Also, the MapGuide PSC doc (http://mapguide.osgeo.org/psc.html) has
a clear header stating that it has been adopted, the current revision
number and the last revision date. I think it would be good to have that
for FDO as well.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Daniel Morissette
While we're dealing with the PSC doc: there are still mentions of
fdo-dev and fdo-psc lists in http://fdo.osgeo.org/psc.html. The document
should probably be fixed to refer to fdo-internals which is the current
list name.

Daniel

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Mateusz Loskot
Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Greg Boone wrote:
>> Daniel Morissette wrote: 3- Project Steering Committee
>>
>> There is a draft PSC document at http://fdo.osgeo.org/psc.html.
>> Apparently the PSC has not been officially formed yet, but from
>> following the mapguide-internals list they seem to operate as a
>> pseudo-PSC already, with motions and votes on the list once in a
>> while, etc. This will be sorted out soon I'm sure.
>>
>> [GB] The PSC has been formed. Refer to
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/ProjectSteeringCommittee
>>
>> [GB] However, so far we have only had a single meeting.
>
> I could not find any trace of a vote to approve the PSC document. The
>  minutes of the first IRC meeting mention that Bob was going to
> update the PSC doc and send a motion for vote on the list (presumably
>  meaning fdo-psc list at the time). Unfortunately the fdo-psc list
> archives seem to have been lost when fdo-dev + fdo-psc merged into
> what is currently fdo-internals. I found some fdo-psc emails around
> that date in my personal archives but nothing about a vote to approve
>  the PSC doc.

I've searched my personal archives and I don't have anything about it too.

> I don't want to be a pain about this, just want to make sure that the
>  PSC doc that's currently at http://fdo.osgeo.org/psc.html is final
> and has been approved.

I think Daniel is right.

Also, wouldn't it be a good idea to nominate new members to PSC,
for two open positions left?
As I see in my personal archives, Frank suggested Haris Kurtagic
might be a good candidate for another PSC member.
I'd like to take up Haris candidature and vote for it soon.
I believe it's a good idea to have complete PSC on the incubation
process entry point.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net

RE: FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Greg Boone
If we vote Harris to the PSC then that would give us 6 PSC members. I
believe it would be nice to have an odd number so that votes do not end
in deadlock. Therefore I would suggest that we fill both open positions
at the same time.

Greg

Greg Boone wrote:
> If we vote Harris to the PSC then that would give us 6 PSC members. I
> believe it would be nice to have an odd number so that votes do not end
> in deadlock. Therefore I would suggest that we fill both open positions
> at the same time.

Greg,

I think I've suggested it too.
I just don't have any suggestion for the second open position.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net

Re: FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Robert Bray-2
Me thinks its time to schedule another meeting :). I'll take that
action. Also I would like to update the document based on the final
approved version from the MG PSC.

Bob

Robert Bray wrote:
> Me thinks its time to schedule another meeting :). I'll take that
> action. Also I would like to update the document based on the final
> approved version from the MG PSC.

Bob,

Yeah, it's time to have some (_)? (_)? (_)?  ;-)
Thank you!

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net

RE: FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Jason Birch
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

RE: FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Greg Boone
Hi Jason,

I welcome all feedback community members have on the Python scripts. If there are developers that have concerns about the usage of SWIG to generate the python scripts then I encourage them to join the FDO community and work to make the implementation a better one. There is no mandate to use SWIG so I am sure the existing FDO community would be open to discussing other alternatives.

The python scripts were submitted using SWIG simply because Autodesk had the script generation process sitting in house from a pre-existing development effort and I figured it was a waste to have them just sitting there not being used when we had no python support in FDO at all. I felt it was better to throw it over the wall and have the community shoot at it rather than keeping it locked up. I think it is a useful mechanism to pull in other developers and get them interested in FDO. Basically, all I had to do was re-package the script generation process for open-source, integrate into the build process and submit.

Once again, the submission is not intended to be a fait-accomplis or intended to circumvent community discussion. I encourage developers who are interested to join the community and work to make FDO better. As I see it, this would be a great opportunity to add a new developer to the community.

Greg

Re: FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Robert Bray-2
We don't have any non-developer consumers of FDO on this PSC, so if
Jason is volunteering then I'll be happy to nominate him. He has been a
huge positive influence on the MapGuide PSC and a strong advocate of the
MapGuide/FDO technology since day 1.

Bob

Jason Birch wrote:

> If the group can't come up with any other suggestions, I'd be happy to
> volunteer.
>
> I'm starting to use FDO pretty heavily through MapGuide, Haris' awesome
> work, and eventually possibly on its own.  I think it's important that
> the committee put in place some additional members, and that existing
> members are active on the mailing lists.  FDO has been essentially
> dormant from a community perspective for too long, and I feel that this
> is hurting the project, and possibly even turning off the developers who
> _have_ chosen to participate heavily in this area.  If FDO is run as a
> software product with too much command&control, then I have doubts about
> whether it will be able to achieve its full potential.
>
> I'd also like to see some community outreach by FDO folks.  In
> particular, some of the response to the initial Python support has been
> unfavourable, and the FDO project could definitely benefit by
> interacting with these community experts.
>
> http://www.jasonbirch.com/nodes/2007/03/14/67/pyfdo-is-in-the-house-yeah
> -baby/#comments
>
> http://zcologia.com/news/400/fdo-and-python/#comments
>
> Jason

Agreed

+1.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Frank Warmerdam
Greg Boone wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>

> I welcome all feedback community members have on the Python scripts. If
> there are developers that have concerns about the usage of SWIG to generate
> the python scripts then I encourage them to join the FDO community and work
> to make the implementation a better one. There is no mandate to use SWIG so
> I am sure the existing FDO community would be open to discussing other
> alternatives.

Greg,

Are there any plans to offer other language bindings using SWIG?  If so,
then I don't think it is worthwhile pursuing other binding mechanisms
unless someone in the community would like to do so.

Ultimately I think it would take a substantial amount of layered stuff
on top of the FDO C++ API to make it palatable to the hard core python
folks so it is likely best to leave that to something like PCL, and
focus on a Python binding that is a close match to the C++ classes,
possibly adding a bit of syntactic sugar which can be accomplished with
SWIG.

Lets not let one member of the community wag the dog, nor discourage the
good work that has already been accomplished.

Robert Bray wrote:
> We don't have any non-developer consumers of FDO on this PSC, so if
> Jason is volunteering then I'll be happy to nominate him. He has been a
> huge positive influence on the MapGuide PSC and a strong advocate of the
> MapGuide/FDO technology since day 1.

+1

absolutely.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net

RE: FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Orest Halustchak
I'll go with that.

+1.

Thanks,
Orest.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

RE: FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Greg Boone
RE: [fdo-internals] FDO Incubation Progress Reports

No problem. I just wanted to clarify the situation. As for the straw-horse RFC process, it sounds acceptable to me. I will endeavor to use such a mechanism when developing new proposals from scratch.

Greg