Extracting a cross-section from a DEM

Phil Scadden

I have application where user draws arbitrary line over a map, and is presented with cross-section of terrain from DTM under that line. At the moment, this is supported by a custom DTM format to make this retrieval fast and memory efficient (since can be dealing with very large high-resolution data). I would like to extend the functionality to handle other raster dtm formats and doing this via geoserver seems possible. It can be done via repeated getfeatureinfo calls along the line but this is pretty inefficient. Is this something a WPS service could do?  Has anyone already done it?

Ngā mihi, Nā Phil Scadden

GNS Science Ltd 764 Cumberland St, Private Bag 1930,

Dunedin, New Zealand Ph +64 3 4799663, 027 3463185

“Whāia te iti kahurangi ki te tūohu koe me he maunga teitei”

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential and may not be used, published or redistributed without the prior written consent of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Limited (GNS Science). If received in error please destroy and immediately notify GNS Science. Do not copy or disclose the contents.