Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

12

Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

Hernán De Angelis-4
Hello QGIS:ers

I am evaluating setting up a server running PostgreSQL/PostGIS for use
as data sharing/collaborating environment for spatial data. The user
group may consist of up to 15 people, mostly using QGIS but one or two
may use other software (non OS). Data is almost exclusively of vector
type. The use is within a single organization.

I understand some people in this list have experience with this kind of
environment and would appreciate if any of you would share any useful
experience, challenges, thought or things to watch out for. I understand
basic management routines are critical (user management, user rights),
as well as a sound backup and update strategy. I also understand that
proper data management procedures have to be in place, like rules for
table creation and eventual deletion, attribute selection, etc. But what
else can go wrong with this kind of setup if not managed properly?
Thoughts and experiences welcome!

Best regards and thanks in advance

Hernán

Re: Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

pcav
Hi Hernán

Il 20/11/19 11:10, Hernán De Angelis ha scritto:

> Hello QGIS:ers
>
> I am evaluating setting up a server running PostgreSQL/PostGIS for use
> as data sharing/collaborating environment for spatial data. The user
> group may consist of up to 15 people, mostly using QGIS but one or two
> may use other software (non OS). Data is almost exclusively of vector
> type. The use is within a single organization.
>
> I understand some people in this list have experience with this kind of
> environment and would appreciate if any of you would share any useful
> experience, challenges, thought or things to watch out for. I understand
> basic management routines are critical (user management, user rights),
> as well as a sound backup and update strategy. I also understand that
> proper data management procedures have to be in place, like rules for
> table creation and eventual deletion, attribute selection, etc. But what
> else can go wrong with this kind of setup if not managed properly?
> Thoughts and experiences welcome!

in our experience the solution is pretty straightforward. The only other
challenge I'd add is having good bandwidth, otherwise using PostGIS data
can be sluggish.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

Hernán De Angelis-4
I am evaluating setting up a server running PostgreSQL/PostGIS for use

>> as data sharing/collaborating environment for spatial data. The user
>> group may consist of up to 15 people, mostly using QGIS but one or two
>> may use other software (non OS). Data is almost exclusively of vector
>> type. The use is within a single organization.
>>
>> I understand some people in this list have experience with this kind of
>> environment and would appreciate if any of you would share any useful
>> experience, challenges, thought or things to watch out for. I understand
>> basic management routines are critical (user management, user rights),
>> as well as a sound backup and update strategy. I also understand that
>> proper data management procedures have to be in place, like rules for
>> table creation and eventual deletion, attribute selection, etc. But what
>> else can go wrong with this kind of setup if not managed properly?
>> Thoughts and experiences welcome!
> in our experience the solution is pretty straightforward. The only other
> challenge I'd add is having good bandwidth, otherwise using PostGIS data
> can be sluggish.
> All the best.

Excellent point, Paolo! I had not thought about it. Thank you!

All the best

Re: Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

Andreas Neumann-4

Are those 15 people in the same office/same location or distributed? If the latter, at how many places are they distributed?

In my experience, using Postgis sources over the internet (not in the LAN) is way too slow. It will only upset your users. In such a scenario you would have to set up replication.

Another aspect: avoid editing the same features simultaneously by different users. Only the last save will stay. QGIS starts an edit session and will only save at the end of the sesssion, when you actually save the features. In such a scenario you should assign certain geographic areas to different users (e.g. user A edits features in municipality x, and user b in municipality y, but not x).

Otherwise you will have to deal with handling conflicts. That would require more complicated table setups with versioning and conflict detection.

Andreas

Re: Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

Jan-Eric Oskarsson
Hi Hernán!
Maybe this comment is redundant but you have to set up a strong security to prevent hackers to hack your database and steal your data and cause damage.
I hope uthat you already have thought about this issu!

Kind Regards
Jan-Eric

Re: Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

Hernán De Angelis-4
Thank you, Jan-Eric! Very good point. It is not redundant att all.

Best

Hernán

On 2019-11-20 11:47, Jan-Eric Oskarsson wrote:

> Hi Hernán!
> Maybe this comment is redundant but you have to set up a strong security to prevent hackers to hack your database and steal your data and cause damage.
> I hope uthat you already have thought about this issu!
>
> Kind Regards
> Jan-Eric

Hello Andreas

Thank you very much for your comment. These are definitely things I did not think about.

Our people are in two separate buildings (in two separate regions!) but our systems can handle this without problems.

The editing conflicts seem more serious to me. I guess these could be minimized by encouraging users to save edits more often but, as you write, a proper solution may require proper versioning. But then that may likely push up the costs.

Good material for thought and a test.

Thank you again!

Hernán

Re: Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

pcav
IMHO conflicts should never arise if the workflow is properly designed:
two users should never edit the same feature at the same time.
you can solve a lot of these issues with table partitioning.
cheers

Il 20/11/19 12:08, Hernán De Angelis ha scritto:

> Hello Andreas
>
> Thank you very much for your comment. These are definitely things I did
> not think about.
>
> Our people are in two separate buildings (in two separate regions!) but
> our systems can handle this without problems.
>
> The editing conflicts seem more serious to me. I guess these could be
> minimized by encouraging users to save edits more often but, as you
> write, a proper solution may require proper versioning. But then that
> may likely push up the costs.
>
> Good material for thought and a test.
>
> Thank you again!
>
> Hernán
>

> On 2019-11-20 11:40, Andreas Neumann wrote:
>>
>> Are those 15 people in the same office/same location or distributed?
>> If the latter, at how many places are they distributed?
>>
>> In my experience, using Postgis sources over the internet (not in the
>> LAN) is way too slow. It will only upset your users. In such a
>> scenario you would have to set up replication.
>>
>> Another aspect: avoid editing the same features simultaneously by
>> different users. Only the last save will stay. QGIS starts an edit
>> session and will only save at the end of the sesssion, when you
>> actually save the features. In such a scenario you should assign
>> certain geographic areas to different users (e.g. user A edits
>> features in municipality x, and user b in municipality y, but not x).
>>
>> Otherwise you will have to deal with handling conflicts. That would
>> require more complicated table setups with versioning and conflict
>> detection.
>>
>> Andreas
>>
>> On 2019-11-20 11:32, Hernán De Angelis wrote:
>>
>>> I am evaluating setting up a server running PostgreSQL/PostGIS for use

>>> Excellent point, Paolo! I had not thought about it. Thank you!
>>>
>>> All the best

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

Saber Razmjooei
Some other things to consider:
- Indexing (especially spatial indexing) your vectors.
- Meta-data: trying to capture meta-data as you go. There are some plugins available (Layer Metadata Search: which both captures and allows you to search for your meta-data...happy to help with the set up if you need assistance).

Hope that helps.

Regards
Saber

On 2019-11-20 11:47, Jan-Eric Oskarsson wrote:
> Hi Hernán!
> Maybe this comment is redundant but you have to set up a strong security to prevent hackers to hack your database and steal your data and cause damage.
> I hope uthat you already have thought about this issu!
>
> Kind Regards
> Jan-Eric

I would recommend considering PKI for authentication, it works well on both sides (QGIS and postgres) and it gives you military grade security.

Also, we've had pretty bad performances on Azure cloud deployments (see Andreas comments about latency), but that's another story.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

Hernán De Angelis-4
Yes, Paolo. I understand. A lot of problems can be avoided by proper
design and implementation of the workflow.

Thanks you and all for your valuable input!

Best

Hernán

On 2019-11-20 12:12, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> IMHO conflicts should never arise if the workflow is properly designed:
> two users should never edit the same feature at the same time.
> you can solve a lot of these issues with table partitioning.
> cheers
>
> Il 20/11/19 12:08, Hernán De Angelis ha scritto:
>> Hello Andreas
>>
>> Thank you very much for your comment. These are definitely things I did
>> not think about.
>>
>> Our people are in two separate buildings (in two separate regions!) but
>> our systems can handle this without problems.
>>
>> The editing conflicts seem more serious to me. I guess these could be
>> minimized by encouraging users to save edits more often but, as you
>> write, a proper solution may require proper versioning. But then that
>> may likely push up the costs.
>>
>> Good material for thought and a test.
>>
>> Thank you again!
>>
>> Hernán
>>

>> On 2019-11-20 11:40, Andreas Neumann wrote:
>>> Are those 15 people in the same office/same location or distributed?
>>> If the latter, at how many places are they distributed?
>>>
>>> In my experience, using Postgis sources over the internet (not in the
>>> LAN) is way too slow. It will only upset your users. In such a
>>> scenario you would have to set up replication.
>>>
>>> Another aspect: avoid editing the same features simultaneously by
>>> different users. Only the last save will stay. QGIS starts an edit
>>> session and will only save at the end of the sesssion, when you
>>> actually save the features. In such a scenario you should assign
>>> certain geographic areas to different users (e.g. user A edits
>>> features in municipality x, and user b in municipality y, but not x).
>>>
>>> Otherwise you will have to deal with handling conflicts. That would
>>> require more complicated table setups with versioning and conflict
>>> detection.
>>>
>>> Andreas

Re: Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

Hernán De Angelis-4

Thank you for your recommendations, Saber. Yes, indexing is important and metadata is even more so.

Cheers

Hernán

Re: Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

ginetto
this is not an issue, Postgres support many auth systems most of them paired with the authentication system implemented in QGIS. Other problem is how to share (auth.db) credentials or security setting among different users.

Luigi Pirelli

* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
* Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 11:53, Jan-Eric Oskarsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hernán!
Maybe this comment is redundant but you have to set up a strong security to prevent hackers to hack your database and steal your data and cause damage.
I hope uthat you already have thought about this issu!

Kind Regards
Jan-Eric

Re: Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

Hernán De Angelis-4

Interesting point, Luigi. Thank you!

Hernán

Re: Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi,

I wonder what is best practice to handle auth configs across several users for sharing of projects?

Should we ask users to create the same auth-config ids/names to make projects interoperable, where each users would have different credentials, but share the auth-config id that is stored in the QGIS project file?

Is this how we should do it? Otherwise users would end up with different auth-ids and then can't open QGIS files from their colleagues without a hassle ...

Or are there better/alternative approaches?

Andreas

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 13:24, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I wonder what is best practice to handle auth configs across several users for sharing of projects?

Should we ask users to create the same auth-config ids/names to make projects interoperable, where each users would have different credentials, but share the auth-config id that is stored in the QGIS project file?

exactly... authid can be edited => aliñed for a team

Is this how we should do it? Otherwise users would end up with different auth-ids and then can't open QGIS files from their colleagues without a hassle ...

corret... that's the reason you can set you 7char id!

Or are there better/alternative approaches?

Andreas

share auth.db (or a profile) with credential setup... but you should also share pwd to de-encrypt authdb. IMHO Better crate each one it's authddb setting his personal credentials to decrypt and use common authid for shared projects.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 1:24 PM Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I wonder what is best practice to handle auth configs across several users for sharing of projects?

Should we ask users to create the same auth-config ids/names to make projects interoperable, where each users would have different credentials, but share the auth-config id that is stored in the QGIS project file?

Is this how we should do it? Otherwise users would end up with different auth-ids and then can't open QGIS files from their colleagues without a hassle ...

Or are there better/alternative approaches?

One of the best ways we've used so far was to pre-define at the organization level a small set of authids, you are limited to 7 chars but that's not a big issue.

So, when creating project you will use one of the pre-defined auth ids, of course every user will have to use his own local QGIS auth DB (this is all handled transparently by the QGIS auth system) where he stores his own credentials.

If you share your project within your organization, as long as the user who receives the project has his credentials already sets for the given auth ids access will be granted automatically, if not he will be prompted to enter credentials and if he stores them in the QGIS auth local DB this will be required only for the first time.

This system gives the sysadmins full flexibility: individual credentials can be revoked/granted, no need to share any auth DB in any case.

Hope this helps.

Andreas

On 2019-11-20 13:14, Hernán De Angelis wrote:

Interesting point, Luigi. Thank you!

Hernán

Re: Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Luigi and Alessandro,

thanks for the clarifications.

Quick other question: is it correct that the id MUST be exactly 7 characters Less than or more than 7 characters won't work? At least on my system saving the config is deactivated if it is less than 7 chars.

Thanks,

Andreas

On 2019-11-20 13:14, Hernán De Angelis wrote:

Interesting point, Luigi. Thank you!

Hernán

Re: Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

Jorge Gustavo Rocha-3

Hi,

This thread becoming is quite interesting :-) Let me share my experience regarding authentication.

I'm using PG_SERVICES and LDAP authentication on Postgresql. No credentials are saved into the projects, so everyone opens shared projects with their own credentials.

I'm also storing styles and projects on the database. It is easy to share among several users.

All users have configured QGIS to use the same shared network folder for SVG, layout images and custom fonts.

This same folder is also available on the QGIS Server (to provide all styles with the SVGs, images and fonts used by QGIS Desktop).

Regards,

Jorge Gustavo

On 2019-11-20 13:14, Hernán De Angelis wrote:

[...]

Email Signature
Logo
Geomaster
Jorge Gustavo Rocha | Software Engineer
e: [hidden email] | m: +351 910 333 888
g: 41.54094,-8.40490 | v: 510 906 109
a: Rua António Cândido Pinto, 67, 4715-400 Braga

12