Evolution of Fusion?

GordonL
Hi All,
not much on this for a while.  I was wondering if FUSION is still viable with its jxLIB etc?
Perhaps a new FUSION that works with jQuery or geoExt/Sencha or Leaflet?

I know it would be a big job, but it would be cool to have an alternative to AJAX and FUSION.  Especially since there will be a big re-work with OpenLayers 3?

Re: Evolution of Fusion?

mooman
Gordon,

I was just thinking the same! I think Fusion and MapGuide is a great
solution for GIS as it offers a full stack that I haven't seen others
offering.

The Ajax viewer is just old... i mean it's still called "ajax"! That's
old school term. Fusion is the definitely the nicer UI, but it is also
outdated.

The latest Fusion is running on OpenLayer 2.13, but that's not a bad
thing, OL3 is still a baby. jxLib hasn't been maintained in a long
while. JavaScript coding standards and best practices has come a long
way in the past few years.

I am wondering myself if there is a movement to overhaul Fusion. It
would be a huge undertaking.

Perhaps we can hit the dev mailing list about this topic too?

-Moo

On 11/04/2014 08:57 AM, GordonL wrote:

> Hi All,
> not much on this for a while.  I was wondering if FUSION is still viable
> with its jxLIB etc?
> Perhaps a new FUSION that works with jQuery or geoExt/Sencha or Leaflet?
>
> I know it would be a big job, but it would be cool to have an alternative to
> AJAX and FUSION.  Especially since there will be a big re-work with
> OpenLayers 3?

Re: Evolution of Fusion?

Jackie Ng
Over a year ago, I experimented with an alternative implementation of Fusion using OpenLayers and Dojo Toolkit.

https://github.com/jumpinjackie/fusion-next

If anyone wants to evolve Fusion, they should take a look at this as a starting point.

- Jackie

Re: Evolution of Fusion?

mooman
Jackie,

This is great! Very exciting!  Obviously a lot of thought and work has
already been put in this.

Any particular reason why it was only experimental? Were you guys
waiting on OpenLayers 3? Other technical reasons? Or was it just a
simple matter of not having time?

For interested developers, would the fusion-dev be the place to talk
more about this?

Thanks!
-Moo

On 11/04/2014 03:42 PM, Jackie Ng wrote:

> Over a year ago, I experimented with an alternative implementation of Fusion
> using OpenLayers and Dojo Toolkit.
>
> https://github.com/jumpinjackie/fusion-next
>
> If anyone wants to evolve Fusion, they should take a look at this as a
> starting point.
>
> - Jackie

Re: Evolution of Fusion?

Jackie Ng
This is experimental because of many un-implemented features (see the README.md for the main list).

And also because I haven't touched it in over a year. Given my current situation, I don't think I have the time or effort to be able to improve it.

- Jackie