Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Noli Sicad
Hi,

It seems that QGIS has only 3 color ramps, probably we can improve it
by adding more options and increase the class size as well.

http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Symbology_RFC#Python_plugin
Where is the "Color ramp dialogs"? Is this implemented?

I find color ramps in R package quite flexible especially using ssplot
for thematic mapping. Color Brewer is quite limited.

ColorRamps
http://bm2.genes.nig.ac.jp/RGM2/R_current/library/IDPmisc/man/IDPcolorRamp.html

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/colorRamps/colorRamps.pdf

Now, how can we hack QGIS 1.5 to add more color ramps pallete

http://bm2.genes.nig.ac.jp/RGM2/R_current/library/IDPmisc/man/IDPcolorRamp.html

Arcgis is also using color ramps.

ArcMap Edit color ramp
http://www.tectonics.caltech.edu/gis/reference/color_ramp.html

Noli

Re: Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Noli Sicad
I hope that there is plugin that we can import arcgis color ramps
style (*.style) in QGIS.

http://blogs.esri.com/Support/blogs/mappingcenter/archive/2009/07/07/ESRI-Color-Ramps-Version-2.0.aspx

http://mappingcenter.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=arcgisResources.gateway

Noli

Re: Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Benoit de Cabissole-2
Hi Noli,

Did you have a look at the 1-band raster colour plugin?
I've posted it in the QGIS repository. It is flagged as experimental
so you will have to enable experimental plugin in the plugin manager.
I think it will respond to what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Benoit

On 22 Aug 2010, at 3:24, Noli Sicad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems that QGIS has only 3 color ramps, probably we can improve it
> by adding more options and increase the class size as well.
>
> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Symbology_RFC#Python_plugin
> Where is the "Color ramp dialogs"? Is this implemented?
>
> I find color ramps in R package quite flexible especially using ssplot
> for thematic mapping. Color Brewer is quite limited.
>
> ColorRamps
> http://bm2.genes.nig.ac.jp/RGM2/R_current/library/IDPmisc/man/IDPcolorRamp.html
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/colorRamps/colorRamps.pdf
>
> Now, how can we hack QGIS 1.5 to add more color ramps pallete
>
> http://bm2.genes.nig.ac.jp/RGM2/R_current/library/IDPmisc/man/IDPcolorRamp.html
>
> Arcgis is also using color ramps.
>
> ArcMap Edit color ramp
> http://www.tectonics.caltech.edu/gis/reference/color_ramp.html
>
> Noli

Re: Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Giovanni Manghi
I agree that our best chance is actually supporting/helping Benoit
developing his plugin. Ideally at some stage it could be added to core
as it was done for the Martin labelling plugin.

Benoit, any enhancement on sight regarding the speed needed to read
the rasters (with your plugin)?

See also

https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/782

a very neat feature would be the possibility to import color ramps, for example

http://soliton.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/cpt-city/grass/index.html

cheers

-- Giovanni --

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Benoit EXIGE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Noli,
>
> Did you have a look at the 1-band raster colour plugin?
> I've posted it in the QGIS repository. It is flagged as experimental so you
> will have to enable experimental plugin in the plugin manager.
> I think it will respond to what you are looking for.
>
> Cheers,
> Benoit
>

> On 22 Aug 2010, at 3:24, Noli Sicad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems that QGIS has only 3 color ramps, probably we can improve it
>> by adding more options and increase the class size as well.
>>
>> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Symbology_RFC#Python_plugin
>> Where is the "Color ramp dialogs"? Is this implemented?
>>
>> I find color ramps in R package quite flexible especially using ssplot
>> for thematic mapping. Color Brewer is quite limited.
>>
>> ColorRamps
>>
>> http://bm2.genes.nig.ac.jp/RGM2/R_current/library/IDPmisc/man/IDPcolorRamp.html
>>
>> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/colorRamps/colorRamps.pdf
>>
>> Now, how can we hack QGIS 1.5 to add more color ramps pallete
>>

>> http://bm2.genes.nig.ac.jp/RGM2/R_current/library/IDPmisc/man/IDPcolorRamp.html
>>
>> Arcgis is also using color ramps.
>>
>> ArcMap Edit color ramp
>> http://www.tectonics.caltech.edu/gis/reference/color_ramp.html
>>
>> Noli

Re: Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Noli Sicad
Hi Benoit,

NO. I have not since I am working mostly on vector and databases.

I am installing it now.

 Any sample data and tutorial how to use it?

Could this plugin be replicate into a new plugin for vector files and
spatial databases.

Thanks.

Noli

On 8/22/10, Benoit EXIGE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Noli,
>
> Did you have a look at the 1-band raster colour plugin?
> I've posted it in the QGIS repository. It is flagged as experimental
> so you will have to enable experimental plugin in the plugin manager.
> I think it will respond to what you are looking for.
>
> Cheers,
> Benoit
>

> On 22 Aug 2010, at 3:24, Noli Sicad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems that QGIS has only 3 color ramps, probably we can improve it
>> by adding more options and increase the class size as well.
>>
>> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Symbology_RFC#Python_plugin
>> Where is the "Color ramp dialogs"? Is this implemented?
>>
>> I find color ramps in R package quite flexible especially using ssplot
>> for thematic mapping. Color Brewer is quite limited.
>>
>> ColorRamps
>> http://bm2.genes.nig.ac.jp/RGM2/R_current/library/IDPmisc/man/IDPcolorRamp.html
>>
>> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/colorRamps/colorRamps.pdf
>>
>> Now, how can we hack QGIS 1.5 to add more color ramps pallete
>>
>> http://bm2.genes.nig.ac.jp/RGM2/R_current/library/IDPmisc/man/IDPcolorRamp.html
>>
>> Arcgis is also using color ramps.
>>
>> ArcMap Edit color ramp
>> http://www.tectonics.caltech.edu/gis/reference/color_ramp.html
>>
>> Noli

Re: Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Borys Jurgiel-3
Dnia niedziela 22 sierpnia 2010 o 03:24:12 Noli Sicad napisał(a):
> Hi,
>
> It seems that QGIS has only 3 color ramps, probably we can improve it
> by adding more options and increase the class size as well.
>
> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Symbology_RFC#Python_plugin
> Where is the "Color ramp dialogs"? Is this implemented?

It's in Settings -> Style Manager menu. I agree it's quite hard to find it and
it should be exposed in the layer properties window. It would be great if
someone could send a bunch of his symbols and ramps to put them as predefinied
styles. When only we implement the new plugin repositories, we can use that
stuff for a style repository too.

Re: Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Noli Sicad
Hi Borys

Thanks for pointing out where we could find the Color ramp dialogs. I
thought I saw it 3 months ago but I don't know where.

Yes, Just a "Add Style Item" button in layer properties window would
really help user to use this feature.

Here's the MapIcons that Maning pointed out before.
http://www.sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/contactsheet

Here's Maki Icon Set
http://mapbox.com/documentation/maki-icon-set

Now, how can we prepare the predefined styles?  What is the file where
these newly created color ramp and symbols are saved?

Regards, Noli

On 8/22/10, Borys Jurgiel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dnia niedziela 22 sierpnia 2010 o 03:24:12 Noli Sicad napisał(a):
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems that QGIS has only 3 color ramps, probably we can improve it
>> by adding more options and increase the class size as well.
>>
>> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Symbology_RFC#Python_plugin
>> Where is the "Color ramp dialogs"? Is this implemented?
>
> It's in Settings -> Style Manager menu. I agree it's quite hard to find it
> and
> it should be exposed in the layer properties window. It would be great if
> someone could send a bunch of his symbols and ramps to put them as
> predefinied
> styles. When only we implement the new plugin repositories, we can use that
> stuff for a style repository too.

Re: Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Giovanni Manghi

What do you miss in the new symbology engine? There are plenty of options, for ramps too. Cheers.

On Aug 22, 2010 10:01 AM, "Noli Sicad" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Benoit,

NO. I have not since I am working mostly on vector and databases.

I am installing it now.

 Any sample data and tutorial how to use it?

Could this plugin be replicate into a new plugin for vector files and
spatial databases.

Thanks.

Noli

On 8/22/10, Benoit EXIGE <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Noli,
>
> Did you have a look at the ...

Re: Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Noli Sicad
Hi Giovanni,

> http://soliton.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/cpt-city/grass/index.html

As pointed by Borys, we can easily reproduce those colour ramps now in
the Styler using gradient colour ramp with multiple stops.

Noli

On 8/22/10, Giovanni Manghi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree that our best chance is actually supporting/helping Benoit
> developing his plugin. Ideally at some stage it could be added to core
> as it was done for the Martin labelling plugin.
>
> Benoit, any enhancement on sight regarding the speed needed to read
> the rasters (with your plugin)?
>
> See also
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/782
>
> a very neat feature would be the possibility to import color ramps, for
> example
>
> http://soliton.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/cpt-city/grass/index.html
>
> cheers

Re: Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Borys Jurgiel-2
Dnia niedziela 22 sierpnia 2010 o 12:01:47 Noli Sicad napisał(a):

> Hi Borys
>
> Thanks for pointing out where we could find the Color ramp dialogs. I
> thought I saw it 3 months ago but I don't know where.
>
> Yes, Just a "Add Style Item" button in layer properties window would
> really help user to use this feature.
>
> Here's the MapIcons that Maning pointed out before.
> http://www.sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/contactsheet
>
> Here's Maki Icon Set
> http://mapbox.com/documentation/maki-icon-set
>
> Now, how can we prepare the predefined styles?  What is the file where
> these newly created color ramp and symbols are saved?

$HOME_DIR/.qgis/symbology-ng-style.xml

This is one big xml file for the whole style library. Martin, I think it would
be much easier if qgis 1.6 should grab all files in a directiory designed for
styles, e.g. /usr/share/qgis/styles + $HOME_DIR/.qgis/styles/

RE: Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Benoit de Cabissole-2
Hi Noli,

Just created a sample raster [1].

Tutorial can be found at [2] and through the help button on the plugin.

I come from the raster world so I did not think of doing it for vector, but
from this morning discussions it seems that there is already a facility for
colouring vector with colour ramps.

[1] http://www.bc-consult.com/free/bcccoltbl-data.html
[2] http://www.bc-consult.com/free/bcccoltbl.html

Hope this helps,
Benoit

Thanks for creating this plugin and having one page plugin tutorial
with sample data.

This tutorial is really good since we can see what you have been
talking in the last few days.

I hope Marco would put a link of your plugin tutorials in the Qgis user corner.

Regards, Noli

On 8/22/10, Benoit de Cabissole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Noli,
>
> Just created a sample raster [1].
>
> Tutorial can be found at [2] and through the help button on the plugin.
>
> I come from the raster world so I did not think of doing it for vector, but
> from this morning discussions it seems that there is already a facility for
> colouring vector with colour ramps.
>
> [1] http://www.bc-consult.com/free/bcccoltbl-data.html
> [2] http://www.bc-consult.com/free/bcccoltbl.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Benoit

Regarding the loading speed problem, well, no answer as yet...
Another solution would be to only compute the stats of the raster and not
display a thumbnail of the raster in the plugin but to work directly in the
main window. Problem with that is that the raster must be on top of the
stack in order to be visible: not really a good solution!
Another way would be to create a batch file to generate the ".bccpal" files
from the user rasters that will run when user is not busy. The .bccpal files
are thumbnail files generated when user creates the first colour table and
are re-used the next time the user launch the plugin on the same raster file
(on condition that the user doesn't delete those file the loading speed is
dramatically increased!).
A third way would be to write a C++ routine to speed up that part of the
algorithm. It is not the reading of the data from disk but rather the
algorithm I'm using to generate the thumbnail raster and generate the stats
(histogram) that slows down processing. Note that in VB6 it is much much
faster than in python, so yes the language it is written in will make a
difference (unfortunately C++/C are Martian-speak to me!).

> a very neat feature would be the possibility to import color
> ramps, for example
>
> http://soliton.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/cpt-city/grass/index.html

Regarding importing colour ramps: you could have noticed that some of the
ramps presented at the above reference have already been converted to colour
palettes for use in the plugin!
The colouring algorithm I'm using needs to deal with discrete colour values
and not with abstract ones as used by GRASS, GMT, and others. The way around
it that I've used was to import an image of a colour ramp into an imagebox
and sample each pixel for its colour to create a "discrete" colour palette
used by the plugin. In fact most of the colour palettes provided with the
plugin have been generated in this way! (Again this little app is VB6 based,
and could be converted to python if there is an interest).
So, yes, there is a way to import a colour ramp, provided there is an image
of it.

Also note that in its present stage the python plugin cannot be used to set
a real-life value to a given colour. Real-life values are given to a colour
in function of the colouring method used and the histogram of the data. So
ramps like 'corine' or 'srtm' from the above reference will be difficult to
use with the plugin.

Cheers,
Benoit

> cheers
>
> -- Giovanni --
>

> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Benoit EXIGE <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Noli,
> >
> > Did you have a look at the 1-band raster colour plugin?
> > I've posted it in the QGIS repository. It is flagged as
> experimental so you
> > will have to enable experimental plugin in the plugin manager.
> > I think it will respond to what you are looking for.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Benoit
> >

> > On 22 Aug 2010, at 3:24, Noli Sicad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> It seems that QGIS has only 3 color ramps, probably we can improve it
> >> by adding more options and increase the class size as well.
> >>
> >> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Symbology_RFC#Python_plugin
> >> Where is the "Color ramp dialogs"? Is this implemented?
> >>
> >> I find color ramps in R package quite flexible especially using ssplot
> >> for thematic mapping. Color Brewer is quite limited.
> >>
> >> ColorRamps
> >>

> http://bm2.genes.nig.ac.jp/RGM2/R_current/library/IDPmisc/man/IDPc
olorRamp.html

>> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/colorRamps/colorRamps.pdf
>>
>> Now, how can we hack QGIS 1.5 to add more color ramps pallete

http://bm2.genes.nig.ac.jp/RGM2/R_current/library/IDPmisc/man/IDPcolorRamp.h
tml

>> Arcgis is also using color ramps.
>>
>> ArcMap Edit color ramp
>> http://www.tectonics.caltech.edu/gis/reference/color_ramp.html
>>
>> Noli

qgis-1.5.0_coding-compilation_guide_en.pdf

Benoit de Cabissole-2
Hello Manual Team,

With reference to the subject and to recent discussions in this forum
regarding plugins coding standard:
- on page 29, the __init__.py example (at the bottom of the page) could be
rewritten as:

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
def name():
    return "FOSS4G example"
def description():
    return "A simple example plugin to load shapefiles"
def version():
    return "0.1"
def qgisMinimumVersion():
    return "1.0"
def authorName():
    return "John Developer"
def classFactory(iface):
    from foss4gplugin import FOSS4GPlugin
    return FOSS4GPlugin(iface)

Where the import line is put inside the classFactory() function and not in
the first line of the file.

Just trying my two bits for consistency...

Cheers and keep the good work,
Benoit

RE: qgis-1.5.0_coding-compilation_guide_en.pdf

Benoit de Cabissole-2

And while I'm at it, on page 31, the 'else:' statement in the top code block
is wrongly indented!

Sorry to be a pain,
Benoit

Otto Dassau
Hi Benoit,

thanks for your note. I committed your change. If you have more fixes or
ideas to improve the manual, please write to the qgis-community team list
at [hidden email]. That is the place we usually discuss
and improve the documentation and where most documenters are subscribed.

Regards,
 otto

Am Sun, 22 Aug 2010 15:45:53 +0200
schrieb "Benoit de Cabissole" <[hidden email]>:

> Hello Manual Team,
>
> With reference to the subject and to recent discussions in this forum
> regarding plugins coding standard:
> - on page 29, the __init__.py example (at the bottom of the page) could be
> rewritten as:
>
> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
> def name():
>     return "FOSS4G example"
> def description():
>     return "A simple example plugin to load shapefiles"
> def version():
>     return "0.1"
> def qgisMinimumVersion():
>     return "1.0"
> def authorName():
>     return "John Developer"
> def classFactory(iface):
>     from foss4gplugin import FOSS4GPlugin
>     return FOSS4GPlugin(iface)
>
> Where the import line is put inside the classFactory() function and not in
> the first line of the file.
>
> Just trying my two bits for consistency...
>
> Cheers and keep the good work,
> Benoit

Re: Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Martin Dobias
On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Borys Jurgiel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is one big xml file for the whole style library. Martin, I think it would
> be much easier if qgis 1.6 should grab all files in a directiory designed for
> styles, e.g. /usr/share/qgis/styles + $HOME_DIR/.qgis/styles/

Yes, I had that in my mind when creating the style library, so it
should not be a problem to extend the concept to include further style
library xml files.

Btw. regarding the hard access to creation of color ramps: a solution
that comes to my mind would be to add a new entry to the color ramp
combo box stating "Add new color ramp" - selecting it would open a
dialog for creating a new color ramp.

Cheers
Martin

Re: Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Borys Jurgiel-2
> Btw. regarding the hard access to creation of color ramps: a solution
> that comes to my mind would be to add a new entry to the color ramp
> combo box stating "Add new color ramp" - selecting it would open a
> dialog for creating a new color ramp.

Very nice idea. Or even a button calling the ramp manager.

Btw. the style manager is also hardly accesible. What about adding a 'Manage
Styles' button next to the 'Add to style' and also merging the current symbol
preview + the Properties button into one big square button?

Re: Enchancing New Symbology - ColorRamp Edit

Noli Sicad
> Btw. regarding the hard access to creation of color ramps: a solution
> that comes to my mind would be to add a new entry to the color ramp
> combo box stating "Add new color ramp" - selecting it would open a
> dialog for creating a new color ramp.

QGIS in Windows and QGIS in Mac OS X have a different layout. In Mac
OS X, the Styte Manager is in Edit (i.e. Edit -> Style Manager).