Enable Probot-Stale on qgis/QGIS

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Hi PSC,

after the recent cleanup of the pull request queue on github in the
final spurt towards QGIS 3.2, it was discussed to add a bot that closes
stale pull requests after some time to keep the pull request queue clean
and tidy in a sustainable manner.
It turns out, this exists and is quite easy to activate. I have setup
everything required in a pull request
(https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/7311) and there seems to be a general
consensus among the developers that this is a desirable tool.
I don't have the power to install probot stale
https://probot.github.io/apps/stale/ on the repository myself. Is this
something that can be easily done by someone or do we need some sort of
formal decision?
Thanks in advance
Matthias

Re: Enable Probot-Stale on qgis/QGIS

pcav
Hi Matthias,

Il 26/06/2018 18:22, Matthias Kuhn ha scritto:

> something that can be easily done by someone or do we need some sort of
> formal decision?

thanks a lot for this. I would prefer a formal decision.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Enable Probot-Stale on qgis/QGIS

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Hi Paolo

On 06/26/2018 07:58 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Il 26/06/2018 18:22, Matthias Kuhn ha scritto:
>
>> something that can be easily done by someone or do we need some sort of
>> formal decision?
> thanks a lot for this. I would prefer a formal decision.
> All the best.

What process would you propose for this?

My personal opinion:
So far there is an unanimous consent to this proposal among the people
involved in the review process and there have been no downvotes on the
proposal on the developer mailing list. Evenmore, the process can be
disabled in the future at any point if we find a better process. In
short, I think the administrative overhead for this decision should be
the smallest possible one.

All the best

Il 26/06/2018 20:57, Matthias Kuhn ha scritto:
> What process would you propose for this?
>
> My personal opinion:
> So far there is an unanimous consent to this proposal among the people
> involved in the review process and there have been no downvotes on the
> proposal on the developer mailing list. Evenmore, the process can be
> disabled in the future at any point if we find a better process. In
> short, I think the administrative overhead for this decision should be
> the smallest possible one.

I think our Loomio system is sleek enough not to slow down the process.
Unsure whether you have the permission, if yes you can create a poll
yourself.
In any case I did not follow the discussion closely enough to judge, if
others are happy with the conclusions I don't oppose going ahead.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Enable Probot-Stale on qgis/QGIS

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Matthias

From memory I think I proposed something like this before and there was some resistance so we never did it. If the resistance is gone yay :-)

Regards

Tim

On 26 Jun 2018, at 21:03, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

---

Tim Sutton

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Il 26/06/2018 21:05, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> Hi Matthias
>
> From memory I think I proposed something like this before and there was
> some resistance so we never did it. If the resistance is gone yay :-)

Hi all,
I'm always a bit concerned about automatic discarding the work of
others. Would this be after a fixed time, or only if the author fails to
reply after a while?
All the best.

On 26 Jun 2018, at 21:08, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Il 26/06/2018 21:05, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
Hi Matthias

From memory I think I proposed something like this before and there was
some resistance so we never did it. If the resistance is gone yay :-)

Hi all,
I'm always a bit concerned about automatic discarding the work of
others. Would this be after a fixed time, or only if the author fails to
reply after a while?

Well a PR can always bee re-opened and I believe if the PR is is ‘active’ it does not get closed either. Of course the work also lives in the original submitter’s fork. So I think there are enough mechanisms to ensure that the work is not lost, while at the same time making it clear that there are requirements to be met before code can be merged into QGIS - which is a good thing I think.

Regards

Tim

All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

On 06/26/2018 10:51 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
Hi

On 26 Jun 2018, at 21:08, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Il 26/06/2018 21:05, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
Hi Matthias

From memory I think I proposed something like this before and there was
some resistance so we never did it. If the resistance is gone yay :-)

Hi all,
I'm always a bit concerned about automatic discarding the work of
others. Would this be after a fixed time, or only if the author fails to
reply after a while?

Well a PR can always bee re-opened and I believe if the PR is is ‘active’ it does not get closed either. Of course the work also lives in the original submitter’s fork. So I think there are enough mechanisms to ensure that the work is not lost, while at the same time making it clear that there are requirements to be met before code can be merged into QGIS - which is a good thing I think.

The process is as follows:

 - After 14 days of inactivity, a message will be posted to the pull request and it will be labeled "stale".
  The message asks the author of the pull request to finish the work or clarify with the reviewer team if things are unclear. If the pull request is "active", that is if changes are pushed or a comment is added, the pull request stays open (the 14 days restart if I am not wrong). See screenshot on https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/7311, our wording is different.

- After another 7 days without anything happening, the pull request is closed with a message asking the author to reopen the pull request in case he wants to finish the work.

- During feature freeze, pull requests which target the next release are exempt from the above rules

Regards
Matthias

Regards

Tim

All the best.

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Matthias Kuhn
[hidden email]

Re: Enable Probot-Stale on qgis/QGIS

Nyall Dawson
On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 at 05:08, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Il 26/06/2018 21:05, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> > Hi Matthias
> >
> > From memory I think I proposed something like this before and there was
> > some resistance so we never did it. If the resistance is gone yay :-)
>
> Hi all,
> I'm always a bit concerned about automatic discarding the work of
> others. Would this be after a fixed time, or only if the author fails to
> reply after a while?
> All the best.

I guess one of the big lessons from the recent push on taming the PR
queue is that orphaned PRs are of little value to the project, because
even the most trivial of fixes can take substantial time for someone
else to step in and get to a merge ready state. We really need PRs to
be merged (or deemed as invalid by the original submitter) ASAP, while
the original submitter is still motivated to see their work merged.
Basically the best way to do this is to keep the pressure on them to
answer in a timely fashion and address changes rapidly.

FWIW, I'd much rather some anonymous bot closes work based on some
pre-decided logic (like Matthias is proposing), then require one of
our usual maintainers to be "the bad guy" who goes through and blocks
other's work.

And as Tim & Matthias have already commented, the work isn't lost,
it's just pushed back to the original submitter's responsibility to
fix up and reopen/resubmit.

Nyall

Re: Enable Probot-Stale on qgis/QGIS

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi Matthias,

On Tue, 26. Jun 2018 at 18:22:42 +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> Is this something that can be easily done by someone

"Installed 12 hours ago Developed by probot https://probot.github.io/apps/stale/"

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

Re: Enable Probot-Stale on qgis/QGIS

Matthias Kuhn 🌍

Hi Jürgen

On 06/26/2018 11:32 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
Hi Matthias,

On Tue, 26. Jun 2018 at 18:22:42 +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
Is this something that can be easily done by someone
"Installed 12 hours ago Developed by probot https://probot.github.io/apps/stale/"

Thanks!

Matthias

Jürgen

Matthias Kuhn
[hidden email]

Re: Enable Probot-Stale on qgis/QGIS

pcav
The replies are quite convincing to me.
+1
Thanks a lot.

Il 26 giugno 2018 23:24:15 CEST, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 at 05:08, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Il 26/06/2018 21:05, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
Hi Matthias

From memory I think I proposed something like this before and there was
[...]

Sorry for being short

Re: Enable Probot-Stale on qgis/QGIS

Matthias Kuhn 🌍

Thanks everyone,

it has been enabled for a test drive, let's see how it does :-)

Regards

Matthias

On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 at 17:33, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks everyone,
>
> it has been enabled for a test drive, let's see how it does :-)

And the countdown is now on. For fairness, I've just triggered the 14
day timer for ALL open PRs which haven't had comments in the last
couple of days. No-one is being targeted here, it's just a widespread
application of the new policy.

Nyall

> Thanks a lot.
>
> Il 26 giugno 2018 23:24:15 CEST, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

>>>  Hi all,
>>>  I'm always a bit concerned about automatic discarding the work of
>>>  others. Would this be after a fixed time, or only if the author fails to
>>>  reply after a while?
>>>  All the best.
>>
>> I guess one of the big lessons from the recent push on taming the PR
>> queue is that orphaned PRs are of little value to the project, because
>> even the most trivial of fixes can take substantial time for someone
>> else to step in and get to a merge ready state. We really need PRs to
>> be merged (or deemed as invalid by the original submitter) ASAP, while
>> the original submitter is still motivated to see their work merged.
>> Basically the best way to do this is to keep the pressure on them to
>> answer in a timely fashion and address changes rapidly.
>>
>> FWIW, I'd much rather some anonymous bot closes work based on some
>> pre-decided logic (like Matthias is proposing), then require one of
>> our usual maintainers to be "the bad guy" who goes through and blocks
>> other's work.
>>
>> And as Tim & Matthias have already commented, the work isn't lost,
>> it's just pushed back to the original submitter's responsibility to
>> fix up and reopen/resubmit.
>>
>> Nyall
>

> --
> Sorry for being short

Re: Enable Probot-Stale on qgis/QGIS

Nyall Dawson
On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 at 17:33, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks everyone,
>
> it has been enabled for a test drive, let's see how it does :-)

...and just to prove that this is a fair system, a stale PR by
Matthias was the first to get pinged by probot!

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/7315#issuecomment-404074072

Nyall