Election dates

Tim Sutton-6
Hi PSC

Thomas Schüttenberg just brought to my attention that the actual elapsed time since our first Board elections is only 14 months ago:

> I just tried to translate your call for PSC nominations and wondered if the term is already over. The last election was in december 2016 which was only 14 month ago. The statutes refere to a two year term. Do I miss something, or is this just because of the long period of forming the qgis.org association?

In light of that I am proposing that we continue with the process of nominations as I would still like to stand down as chair over these coming months, but restrict the voting only to the vacant chair position. This will mean that our ‘number 2’ AGM form will be adjusted slightly to only accommodate

A) the election of one new PSC member, and
B) the election of a new board chair

Does this sound OK for everyone?

Regards

Tim

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Election dates

Nyall Dawson
On 14 February 2018 at 07:33, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi PSC
>
> Thomas Schüttenberg just brought to my attention that the actual elapsed time since our first Board elections is only 14 months ago:
>
> > I just tried to translate your call for PSC nominations and wondered if the term is already over. The last election was in december 2016 which was only 14 month ago. The statutes refere to a two year term. Do I miss something, or is this just because of the long period of forming the qgis.org association?
>
> In light of that I am proposing that we continue with the process of nominations as I would still like to stand down as chair over these coming months, but restrict the voting only to the vacant chair position. This will mean that our ‘number 2’ AGM form will be adjusted slightly to only accommodate
>
> A) the election of one new PSC member, and
> B) the election of a new board chair
>
> Does this sound OK for everyone?

Just to clarify: this means that shortly we'll be voting for a new
chair out of the existing PSC, and you'll continue on in PSC in a
non-chair role until the 2 year term ends? Or have I totally misread
this?

Nyall

Re: Election dates

pcav
Il 13/02/2018 22:33, Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> A) the election of one new PSC member, and
> B) the election of a new board chair
>
> Does this sound OK for everyone?

Fine with me.
Thanks Tim.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Election dates

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

On 14 Feb 2018, at 03:58, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sorry yes you misread it / I wasn’t clear:

A) the election of one new PSC member, and
B) the election of a new board chair
C) Tim stands down from the PSC and Board / Chair

Regards

Tim

Nyall

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Election dates

ginetto
What about duration? in this way chair and PSC duration would be disaligned?

cheers

Luigi Pirelli

ps. IMHO this should be a good democracy sign

* Mastering QGIS 2nd Edition:

On 15 Feb 2018, at 11:48, Luigi Pirelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

What about duration? in this way chair and PSC duration would be disaligned?

I dont think there is anyway to prevent this - if someone leaves the board / PSC before their term completes we can either:

A) keep that place open unoccupied until the next scheduled election (might be a good solution)
B) elect a replacement but their term stays aligned to the two year cycle (like happens in my country when we try to get rid of our president every now and then, the party selects a new president who stays in office until the next election cycle)
C) just keep track of each incoming member and schedule a vote when their term ends

Maybe A is the simplest - we should try to keep the administration overhead of the board low and simple as we are all just volunteers trying to do this amongst a lot of other things competing for our head space. Anyway I dont think out statues specifically cater for this. Perhaps we should figure out the ideal way to deal with this and then propose an amendment to the charter to cater for this in the coming AGM.

Regards

Tim

cheers

Luigi Pirelli

ps. IMHO this should be a good democracy sign

* Mastering QGIS 2nd Edition:

On Wednesday, 14 February 2018, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 14 February 2018 at 07:33, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi PSC
>
> Thomas Schüttenberg just brought to my attention that the actual elapsed time since our first Board elections is only 14 months ago:
>
> > I just tried to translate your call for PSC nominations and wondered if the term is already over. The last election was in december 2016 which was only 14 month ago. The statutes refere to a two year term. Do I miss something, or is this just because of the long period of forming the qgis.org association?
>
> In light of that I am proposing that we continue with the process of nominations as I would still like to stand down as chair over these coming months, but restrict the voting only to the vacant chair position. This will mean that our ‘number 2’ AGM form will be adjusted slightly to only accommodate
>
> A) the election of one new PSC member, and
> B) the election of a new board chair
>
> Does this sound OK for everyone?

Just to clarify: this means that shortly we'll be voting for a new
chair out of the existing PSC, and you'll continue on in PSC in a
non-chair role until the 2 year term ends? Or have I totally misread
this?

Nyall

---

Tim Sutton