Eclipse Quick Start Guide Fails!!!

Michael Duffy
Your Eclipse Quick Start User Guide states: "We can also download the GeoTools project bundle from source forge and set up our project to use them. Please follow these steps carefully as not all the GeoTools jars can be used at the same time."

I followed the steps exactly and the tutorial failed.

The guide has some specific errors:

gt-epsg-h2  is not in the download
gt-db2  is not in the download
gt-oracle-spatial  is not in the download

Many others have failed in using your Eclipse Quick Start Guide (lots of other frustrated users found in my Google search).

Could you please do a usability check on your documentation and see if you can create a new project in Eclipse, follow the steps in your documentation and get the tutorial to run?

Again, your project looks awesome.  I just need to get it to work.

Kind regards,

Mike

Re: Eclipse Quick Start Guide Fails!!!

geowolf
On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 6:26 AM, Michael Duffy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could you please do a usability check on your documentation and see if you can create a new project in Eclipse, follow the steps in your documentation and get the tutorial to run?

The guide is contributed in spare time by people that care about the project, that probably have a life
and can't keep it up to date all the time, and that really don't deserve this attitude.

As a project PSC member (with no time to work on the guide) I humbly propose we take the quickstart down,
and this apparently will make the project better, one cannot complain about what's not there.
Those that do not know about Maven can read one of the many available guides in the internet.

I also suggest Michael to read this presentation, people complaining will not give us more spare
time to use on the project, only new contributors will:

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: Eclipse Quick Start Guide Fails!!!

Michael Duffy
Thx for the quick response.  Again, apologies for the rant.

We have an existing project that does not use Maven so we should be able to integrate the GeoTools jar files into that project.  We just want to create some shape files.

I suspect that others who are new to GeoTools do what I did as a test:  Create a new project, add the GeoTools jars to the Java Build Path (eliminating those in the Quick Start Guide) and then creating a Java class with a main method that includes code from your Feature Tutorial.

This process takes about fifteen minutes (I have done it three times) .  I suspect there is some sort of error caused by identical resource names.  The stack trace is not that clear:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.hsqldb.lib.FrameworkLogger
at org.hsqldb.persist.Logger.getEventLogger(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.persist.Logger.logInfoEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.persist.Logger.closePersistence(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.Database.reopen(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.Database.open(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.DatabaseManager.getDatabase(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.DatabaseManager.newSession(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCDriver.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCDataSource.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCDataSource.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DirectEpsgFactory.getConnection(DirectEpsgFactory.java:3196)
at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.ThreadedEpsgFactory.createBackingStore(ThreadedEpsgFactory.java:436)
at org.geotools.referencing.factory.DeferredAuthorityFactory.getBackingStore(DeferredAuthorityFactory.java:133)
at org.geotools.referencing.factory.BufferedAuthorityFactory.isAvailable(BufferedAuthorityFactory.java:235)
at org.geotools.referencing.factory.DeferredAuthorityFactory.isAvailable(DeferredAuthorityFactory.java:119)
at org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry.isAvailable(FactoryRegistry.java:667)
at org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry.isAcceptable(FactoryRegistry.java:501)
at org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry$1.filter(FactoryRegistry.java:192)
at javax.imageio.spi.FilterIterator.advance(Unknown Source)
at javax.imageio.spi.FilterIterator.<init>(Unknown Source)
at javax.imageio.spi.ServiceRegistry.getServiceProviders(Unknown Source)
at org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry.getServiceProviders(FactoryRegistry.java:197)
at org.geotools.referencing.ReferencingFactoryFinder.getFactories(ReferencingFactoryFinder.java:180)
at org.geotools.referencing.ReferencingFactoryFinder.getCRSAuthorityFactories(ReferencingFactoryFinder.java:455)
at org.geotools.referencing.DefaultAuthorityFactory.getBackingFactory(DefaultAuthorityFactory.java:88)
at org.geotools.referencing.DefaultAuthorityFactory.<init>(DefaultAuthorityFactory.java:69)
at org.geotools.referencing.CRS.getAuthorityFactory(CRS.java:263)
at org.geotools.referencing.CRS.decode(CRS.java:520)
at org.geotools.referencing.CRS.decode(CRS.java:448)
at org.geotools.data.DataUtilities.createAttribute(DataUtilities.java:2697)
at org.geotools.data.DataUtilities.createType(DataUtilities.java:1964)
at org.geotools.data.DataUtilities.createType(DataUtilities.java:1937)
at EsriTest.main(EsriTest.java:36)

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 6:24 AM, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

phone: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%201660272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272
mob: <a href="tel:%2B39%20%C2%A0339%208844549" value="+393398844549" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549

[...]

Also, I will be happy to contribute to the project and update the Eclipse Quick Start guide (I just need to know which jar files are the essential core).  :)

I would also suggest that the directory structure of the geotools-13.1-bin.zip be modified.  The main directory should contain the essential jar files, there should be a sub directory for supporting jar files and another sub directory for licensing information.

You should also know that you are not alone in your disregard of supporting documentation.  Most good developers are focused on getting things to work, not explaining how things work.  One of the main complaints against Amazon Web Services is that they are creating new features and services at an incredibly fast pace and not creating supporting documentation.

Kind regards,

Mike

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Michael Duffy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also, I will be happy to contribute to the project and update the Eclipse Quick Start guide (I just need to know which jar files are the essential core).  :)

Almost everything in GeoTools is a plugin, so there is pretty much nothing that is "essential core" besides
a handful of jars (like gt-main, gt-api, gt-referencing, and whatever their dependecies are).

Want to read a shepefile? It's a plugin. Want to render a map? Not core either (one can do apps without
any map rendering, e.g., a pure WFS server). And so on.
Maven is pretty much the only way to know the full set of jars needed once you know which functionalities
you need.

Like, I have no idea what the quickstarts makes you do, but if I wanted to know which jars I need, I'd
assemble the pom.xml for your needs, and have Maven tell you, see this one:

I have been working on GeoTools since 2002, and to be honest, I would not be able to list the jars
needed to achieve a given set of functionality, without using Maven to get the answer as Ian did above.
They are many, and they tend to change over time.

I would also suggest that the directory structure of the geotools-13.1-bin.zip be modified.  The main directory should contain the essential jar files, there should be a sub directory for supporting jar files and another sub directory for licensing information.

See above.

You should also know that you are not alone in your disregard of supporting documentation.  Most good developers are focused on getting things to work, not explaining how things work.  One of the main complaints against Amazon Web Services is that they are creating new features and services at an incredibly fast pace and not creating supporting documentation.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Amazon developers get paid to do what they do, and whatever docs they produce, they produce
during working hours. We often don't have such luxury, nobody has ever paid for "getting started" docs, they often sponsor a new
functionality and grumble because they have to include in the sponsorship the hours needed to interact with the community,
socialize the ideas, and write the docs for it (advanced, focused docs, not getting started ones).

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
==

[...]

This is incredibly frustrating.  Even the Maven instructions in the GeoTools Quick Start guide for Eclipse fails.

From that guide: "At the time of writing the latest release was: eclipse-java-indigo-SR1-win32.zip".  Indigo Eclipse was released four years ago.

If you look at the stack trace below, the code is failing when an attempt is made to log an event for the HSQL database.

Does anyone know if the GeoTools project requires configuration for the HSQL database or for logging?

My expectation and the expectations of others who have faced this same frustration is that you should be able to create a new project in Eclipse, add the GeoTool's jar files to the Java Build path, create a simple test class with a main method, copy the tutorial code into that main method and it should work.

Thx.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 9:36 AM, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Roark D Hennessy
-

Re: Eclipse Quick Start Guide Fails!!!

geowolf
On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 9:26 PM, Roark Hennessy <[hidden email]> wrote:
There was no tone or attitude.  In fact I thought it was well written and accurate.

I think you're a bit emotionally attached and over sensitive.  Probably justified.  I've followed this thread for many years and appreciate the support.

You are right about the attachment to the people that wrote the docs. And since I wrote none of the docs myself, I should not have answered at all.
Which is what I'm going to do now ;-)

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
==

[...]

Peter Borissow
100% agree. You should be able to simply add all the jar files to the build path and run! And you shouldn't have to use maven or even eclipse.

Unfortunately, its not that simple.

If you're like me and don't care for maven, try splitting up the jar files into different groups and only add the jars that you need. For example, you probably don't need all 16 different jar files related to databases. And if you're working exclusively with vectors, you probably don't need the 29 jar files related to images/rasters.

After working with GeoTools for some time, I have learned which jar files I need and which ones I don't. Perhaps, with a little trial and error, you can figure our which jars you need.

I realize this is not an ideal approach but it works for me.

Best of luck!
Peter

Re: Eclipse Quick Start Guide Fails!!!

Ian Turton
I'm sorry but I've just been through both the maven and eclipse quickstarts and they work perfectly. I'll push up changes to the version numbers later today (since that seems to worry people).

There must be something strange about your setup, are you on some sort of odd operating system (windows?) or may be you have a lot of other jars in your project?

According to maven you need (and only need) the following

org.geotools:tutorial:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT
[INFO] +- junit:junit:jar:3.8.1:test
[INFO] +- org.geotools:gt-shapefile:jar:13.2:compile
[INFO] |  +- org.geotools:gt-data:jar:13.2:compile
[INFO] |  |  \- org.geotools:gt-main:jar:13.2:compile
[INFO] |  |     +- org.geotools:gt-api:jar:13.2:compile
[INFO] |  |     \- com.vividsolutions:jts:jar:1.13:compile
[INFO] |  +- org.jdom:jdom:jar:1.1.3:compile
[INFO] |  \- javax.media:jai_core:jar:1.1.3:compile
[INFO] \- org.geotools:gt-swing:jar:13.2:compile
[INFO]    +- org.geotools:gt-referencing:jar:13.2:compile
[INFO]    |  +- java3d:vecmath:jar:1.3.2:compile
[INFO]    |  +- commons-pool:commons-pool:jar:1.5.4:compile
[INFO]    |  +- org.geotools:gt-metadata:jar:13.2:compile
[INFO]    |  |  \- org.geotools:gt-opengis:jar:13.2:compile
[INFO]    |  |     \- net.java.dev.jsr-275:jsr-275:jar:1.0-beta-2:compile
[INFO]    |  \- jgridshift:jgridshift:jar:1.0:compile
[INFO]    +- org.geotools:gt-render:jar:13.2:compile
[INFO]    |  +- org.geotools:gt-coverage:jar:13.2:compile
[INFO]    |  |  +- javax.media:jai_imageio:jar:1.1:compile
[INFO]    |  |  +- it.geosolutions.imageio-ext:imageio-ext-tiff:jar:1.1.11:compile
[INFO]    |  |  |  +- it.geosolutions.imageio-ext:imageio-ext-utilities:jar:1.1.11:compile
[INFO]    |  |  |  \- javax.media:jai_codec:jar:1.1.3:compile
[INFO]    |  |  +- org.jaitools:jt-zonalstats:jar:1.3.1:compile
[INFO]    |  |  \- org.jaitools:jt-utils:jar:1.3.1:compile
[INFO]    |  \- org.geotools:gt-cql:jar:13.2:compile
[INFO]    \- com.miglayout:miglayout:jar:swing:3.7:compile

Ian

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 7:38 PM Michael Duffy <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is incredibly frustrating.  Even the Maven instructions in the GeoTools Quick Start guide for Eclipse fails.

From that guide: "At the time of writing the latest release was: eclipse-java-indigo-SR1-win32.zip".  Indigo Eclipse was released four years ago.

[...]

Thx Ian.

"...or may be you have a lot of other jars in your project?"

That was exactly the case (but these jars came from the GeoTools distribution).

If you are ever in Austin, Texas I shall buy you your favorite beverage.

If you are able to review the code I would be happy to write some very basic intro tutorials for GeoTools (with a list of required jar files for each).  I think this would be incredibly helpful to new users.  After spending more than two days on this and numerous Google searches, I know that many others went through my same frustration.  Most newbies to a project are used to adding all the jar files to the build path and then running the tutorial code; the GeoTools "Feature Tutorial" (http://docs.geotools.org/stable/tutorials/feature/csv2shp.html) fails when using this approach.

Again, the GeoTools project looks awesome.  Thx to everyone who has made a contribution.

Kind regards,

Mike

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 6:06 AM, Ian Turton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From that guide: "At the time of writing the latest release was: eclipse-java-indigo-SR1-win32.zip".  Indigo Eclipse was released four years ago.

[...]

jody.garnett
Interesting, some of those jars listed are just out of date (gt-oracle-spatial has been replaced by gt-jdbc-oracle I believe).

I only get a chance to update these tutorials for real when I teach a workshop at foss4g, sadly it was not selected this year - but we do have a great DataStore workshop with Ian Turton.

If you do spot small mistakes (like these jars being replaced) there is a great "quick fix" procedure for GitHub that I have documented for the geoserfver project: http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/docguide/quickfix.html

The tutorial you are working from is located here if you would like to make the correction:

--
Jody Garnett

On 20 August 2015 at 21:26, Michael Duffy <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Michael,

We always welcome new contributors (especially for docs I try and keep the bar for participation low).

One goal we have for code examples is to provide them as actual java classes, and then we "inline" them into the docs. This allows the code examples to always be current (and not get stale and out of date which was our made problem when using a wiki).

And yeah I would be happy to review the code :)
--
Jody

--
Jody Garnett

On 22 August 2015 at 08:55, Michael Duffy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thx Ian.

[...]

From that guide: "At the time of writing the latest release was: eclipse-java-indigo-SR1-win32.zip".  Indigo Eclipse was released four years ago.