Earthquake data

Hugo Paul

Good day

I was wondering if South Africa has an earth quake monitoring facility/center similar to the USGS?

Or does anyone perhaps know where I can get seismic data for South Africa (excel, .shp)?

Thank you

Regards

Hugo

Disclaimer

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and automatically archived by Mimecast SA (Pty) Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Mimecast Unified Email Management ™ (UEM) offers email continuity, security, archiving and compliance with all current legislation. To find out more, contact Mimecast.

Re: Earthquake data

Nhamo, Luxon (IWMI-South Africa)

Dear Hugo

You can get this info from the following website: https://www.emdat.be/index.php

Regards

Luxon

Re: Earthquake data

gavinf
Hi Hugo

The USGS publishes shakemaps and other products for seismic events globally.

The official South African agency is the CGS http://www.geoscience.org.za/index.php/seismic-events-main

What sort of data are you looking for, shakemaps?

Gavin

On Fri, 25 May 2018, 15:06 Hugo Paul, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good day

I was wondering if South Africa has an earth quake monitoring facility/center similar to the USGS?

Or does anyone perhaps know where I can get seismic data for South Africa (excel, .shp)?

Thank you

Regards

Hugo

Disclaimer

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and automatically archived by Mimecast SA (Pty) Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Mimecast Unified Email Management ™ (UEM) offers email continuity, security, archiving and compliance with all current legislation. To find out more, contact Mimecast.

Re: Earthquake data

Xolisa Nkwamza
Good evening

Where can I get new geological map of S.A (shp) and fault data of S.A or Fort Beaufort area as (shp)?

On 25 May 2018 17:01, "Gavin Fleming" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

You can also get USGS data for the rest of the world here:

And if you are interested, Kartoza has written a software that can take USGS format shakemaps and turn it into GeoTIFF and do impact on population analysis. You can see more about our work here:

Regards

Tim

On 25 May 2018, at 14:59, Hugo Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good day

I was wondering if South Africa has an earth quake monitoring facility/center similar to the USGS?

Or does anyone perhaps know where I can get seismic data for South Africa (excel, .shp)?

Thank you
Regards
Hugo

Disclaimer

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and automatically archived by Mimecast SA (Pty) Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business.  Mimecast Unified Email Management ™ (UEM) offers email continuity, security, archiving and compliance with all current legislation. To find out more, contact Mimecast.

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Earthquake data

Sibonelo Dlamini-2
True Tim.

USGS is got but I don't know about the scale and accuracy to be specific in the area of interest in South Africa. I suggest checking out with the Council of Geoscience CGS for derailed . They are a data custodian of that information.

Best regards
Sibonelo Dlamini (RSA)

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Earthquake data

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

On 25 May 2018, at 20:14, Sibonelo Dlamini <[hidden email]> wrote:

True Tim.

USGS is got but I don't know about the scale and accuracy to be specific in the area of interest in South Africa. I suggest checking out with the Council of Geoscience CGS for derailed . They are a data custodian of that information.

Will you share your findings back to the list if you find a realtime source of SA shake data? We have also written http://realtime.inasafe.org by the way, and it would be awesome to deploy an instance here in South Africa.

Regards

Tim

[...]

<KartozaNewLogoThumbnail.jpg>

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Earthquake data

Hermanus Brynard
Hugo
The Council for Geoscience has a Seismology department which monitors seismic activity in the country.

​Contact Ian Saunders ([hidden email]) +27128411456

Manie Brynard

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 3:13 PM, Nhamo, Luxon (IWMI-South Africa) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Hugo

You can get this info from the following website: https://www.emdat.be/index.php

Regards

Luxon

Re: Earthquake data

Hermanus Brynard
Xolisa
The Council for Geoscience is the custodian for all geological data.
Contact Magda Roos or Thelma Swart in this regard.

Magda Roos (​[hidden email])
Thelma Swart ([hidden email])

Manie Brynard

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 5:41 PM, Xolisa Nkwamza <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Good morning

Thank you very much for everyone’s help, much appreciated.

Regards

Hugo

Re: Earthquake data

EKok
Hi Tim
Is it possible for you to email me the same data of earthquake received
in shp file from the USGS. I am currently working with a company from
States and are also interested in that data.

Regards
Lucky Kok

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/search/ (

http://inasafe.org ( http://inasafe.org/ )

Regards

Tim

On 25 May 2018, at 14:59, Hugo Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good day

I was wondering if South Africa has an earth quake monitoring
facility/center similar to the USGS?

Or does anyone perhaps know where I can get seismic data for South
Africa (excel, .shp)?

Thank you
Regards
Hugo

Disclaimer
The information contained in this communication from the sender is
confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others
authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in
relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and
may be unlawful.

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and automatically
archived by Mimecast SA (Pty) Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service
(SaaS) for business.  Mimecast Unified Email Management ™ (UEM) offers
email continuity, security, archiving and compliance with all current
legislation. To find out more, contact Mimecast (
http://www.mimecast.co.za/uem
)._______________________________________________
Africa mailing list

<KartozaNewLogoThumbnail.jpg>

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org ( http://qgis.org/ )

Visit http://kartoza.com ( http://kartoza.com/ ) to find out about open
source:

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net ( http://freenode.net/ )

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

system manager. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this
email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and
any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no

Re: Earthquake data

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Lucky

Sorry for the delay in replying - I missed your messages in my inbox. THE USGS does not provide shape files. They provide grid.xml. files. We have a tool that will turn that into a geotiff file. That geotiff can then be turned into a shape file by classifying it.

I’d be happy to give you a demo of this - contact me off list for that.

Regards

Tim

wrote:

[...]

[hidden email]