EGU GA 2020: Data Help Desk

Peter Löwe
Dear Board,
I’m reporting on the latest development regarding the new Data Help Desk (DHD) at the EGU General Assembly 2020 in Vienna and ask for your feedback and support.

Yesterday the DHD effort 2020 had its kickoff in a telco, with stakeholders from  AGU, EGU, ENVRI, ESIP, GEANT and OSGeo (yours truly).

This project will allow us to raise awareness about OSGeo and do reach out to early career scientitsts at EGU (16.000 attendees expected, over 50% of the early career scientists) on a completely new level (compared to earlier EGU-related efforts).

While it’s called a Data Help Desk, it’s about Open Science, which includes Open Data, but also Open Source.

As an example, this is the agenda of the DHD at AGU 2019: https://copdess.org/data-fairs/2019-data-fair-at-agu-fall-meeting/

The Data Help Desk will be based in a (small) booth in a prime spot within the exhibition space of the conference.

For those who have attended EGU before: The booth will be just opposite of the big EGU installation in the basement level (where complimentary conference postcards can be dropped of, EGU swag is sold, next to the mineral exhibition, near the photo competition).

Due to conference-related deadlines, the concept for the booth needs to be developed rapidly, within the next two weeks.

The booth will be occupied for the whole conference (five days) by volunteers from various communities (-> opportunity for OGeo folks attending EGU) which will answer questions, serve as a switchboard to connect to experts, give presentations, etc.

We can use this in several ways, based on already existing OSGeo handouts and presentations.
Even if the DHD booth will only be staffed with OSGeo activists infrequently, other staff can also hand out OSGeo-related gear or show high level presentations about OSGeo live.

I propose to set up a dedicated wiki-page for this, to gather ideas and links to documents, files, etc.

The Open GeoScience 2020 budget includes about 2500 USD for EGU-related activities. The OSGeo Lunchbag event (https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/session/38173) which has to be covered by this budget is expected to cost less than 1.200 USD. So sufficient funding remains for Data Helpdesk related efforts, like giveaways or OSGeo Live thumbdrives / DVDs / postcards, etc.

For now, the DHD organizers at AGU/EGU have requested me to report this to the OSGeo Board and to ask whether this course of action is supported by the OSGeo Board (we have a MOU with AGU, but not EGU).

Best regards,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

Re: EGU GA 2020: Data Help Desk

Massimiliano Cannata
Thank you for the information and congratulation for the great work (I wasn't able to attend, sorry).

I fully support this action and hope for a positive feedback from OSGeo Board.

I will help as much as I can during EGU since I will be there.

Best,
Maxi

--
Massimiliano Cannata

Responsabile settore Geomatica

Istituto scienze della Terra

Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio

Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14

Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09

[hidden email]

www.supsi.ch/ist

Re: EGU GA 2020: Data Help Desk

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello Peter,

this is great news and give lots of exporsure for OSGeo at the event.

You could add this information to the event page and we could promote it
via twitter
https://www.osgeo.org/events/european-geoscience-conference-general-assembly-2020/

A wiki page or a ticket for organization is fine.

I can send you lot of material for the event. @Massimo - do you still
have a rollup? Or shall we produce a new one? Maybe Peter you could get
in contact with the marketing committee too.

Astrid

Am 14.02.2020 15:39 schrieb Massimiliano Cannata:

> [...]
>> which has to be covered by this budget is expected to cost less than
>> 1.200 USD. So sufficient funding remains for Data Helpdesk related
>> efforts, like giveaways or OSGeo Live thumbdrives / DVDs /
>> postcards, etc.
>>
>> For now, the DHD organizers at AGU/EGU have requested me to report
>> this to the OSGeo Board and to ask whether this course of action is
>> supported by the OSGeo Board (we have a MOU with AGU, but not EGU).
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Peter
>>
>> <[hidden email]>
>
> --
>
> MASSIMILIANO CANNATA
>
> Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica
>
> Responsabile settore Geomatica
>
> Istituto scienze della Terra
>
> Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design
>
> Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana

Re: EGU GA 2020: Data Help Desk

Helena Mitasova-7
Peter,

I put it on the agenda for Feb 24 to make an official endorsement of this action, I assume that is all that is needed from the board,

Helena

On Feb 14, 2020, at 8:37 AM, Peter Löwe <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Helena Mitasova
Professor, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Faculty Fellow,
Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208

Re: EGU GA 2020: Data Help Desk

Peter Löwe
Hi Helena, Board,

yep, an official endorsement would be excellent  (and is all what's needed). The timing is right, as the next Haelo Desk telco is scheduled for February 27.

Best,
Peter

Re: EGU GA 2020: Data Help Desk

Massimiliano Cannata
Hello Astrid,
indeed I still have the roll-up.

Probably will be problematic to keep with low-cost flight but I'll se what I can do...

I will bring it tomorrow at FOSS4G-IT ;-)

Maxi

Il giorno dom 16 feb 2020 alle ore 19:39 Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> [...]

>> which has to be covered by this budget is expected to cost less than
>> 1.200 USD. So sufficient funding remains for Data Helpdesk related
>> efforts, like giveaways or OSGeo Live thumbdrives / DVDs /
>> postcards, etc.
>>
>> For now, the DHD organizers at AGU/EGU have requested me to report
>> this to the OSGeo Board and to ask whether this course of action is
>> supported by the OSGeo Board (we have a MOU with AGU, but not EGU).
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Peter
>>
>> <[hidden email]>
>
> --
>
> MASSIMILIANO CANNATA
>
> Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica
>
> Responsabile settore Geomatica
>
> Istituto scienze della Terra
>
> Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design
>
> Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana

Hello Maxi,

great news that it will go to FOSS4G-IT.

So maybe we will get somthing else for the EGU booth.

Astrid

Am 17.02.2020 16:30 schrieb Massimiliano Cannata:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana
>>>
>>> Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio
>>>
>>> Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14
>>>
>>> Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09
>>>
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> www.supsi.ch/ist [4] [3]
>>>
>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1]
>> https://copdess.org/data-fairs/2019-data-fair-at-agu-fall-meeting/
>> [2]
>>> [2] https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/session/38173
>> [3]
>>> [3] http://www.supsi.ch/ist [4]

> MASSIMILIANO CANNATA
>
> Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica
>
> Responsabile settore Geomatica
>
> Istituto scienze della Terra
>
> Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design
>
> Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana

Re: EGU GA 2020: Data Help Desk

Peter Löwe
Hi Astrid, hi Maxi, Board

the EGU Data Help Desk project just started last week. In a first step, the booth layout is being deinfed and furniture will be ordered. In the following, I foresee a discussion about how to "decorate" the booth with posters, etc. The roll-up would be great for the OSGeo Lunchbag event, but we can alternatively use posters there. One large OSGeo-Logo poster still sits here in Berlin since the GRASS Code-Sprint in 2019. So this one could be carried to Vienna. There is also an affordable copy shop / printing service near the venue in Vienna, so we could also get more stuff printed there, if necessary.

Cheers,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

> [...]
> >> competition).

> >> by
> >> folks
> >> switchboard

> >> or

> >> ideas

> >> [3] [2])
> >> than
> >> related

> >> report
> >> is
> >> EGU).

> >> https://copdess.org/data-fairs/2019-data-fair-at-agu-fall-meeting/
> >> [2]
> >> [3]

> > --
> >
> > MASSIMILIANO CANNATA
> >
> > Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica
> >
> > Responsabile settore Geomatica
> >
> > Istituto scienze della Terra
> >
> > Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design
> >
> > Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana

Re: EGU GA 2020: Data Help Desk

Helena Mitasova-7
Peter,

this is just to let you know that board has voted today "to support OSGeo participation at EGU Data Help Desk
with Peter Loewe coordinating the effort for OSGeo”
The vote will show up in the minutes here
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2020-02-24

Best regards, Helena

> [...]
>
> The Open GeoScience 2020 budget includes about 2500 USD for EGU-related activities. The OSGeo Lunchbag event (https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/session/38173) which has to be covered by this budget is expected to cost less than 1.200 USD. So sufficient funding remains for Data Helpdesk related efforts, like giveaways or OSGeo Live thumbdrives / DVDs / postcards, etc.
>
> For now, the DHD organizers at AGU/EGU have requested me to report this to the OSGeo Board and to ask whether this course of action is supported by the OSGeo Board (we have a MOU with AGU, but not EGU).
>
> Best regards,
> Peter
>
> <[hidden email]>

> Helena Mitasova
> Professor, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences

Helena Mitasova
Professor at the Department of Marine,
Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
Associate director and faculty fellow at the Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208

Re: EGU GA 2020: Data Help Desk

Angelos Tzotsos
Motion now on Loomio:

https://www.loomio.org/d/VQ9lcCXy/osgeo-board-support-for-osgeo-participation-at-egu-data-help-desk-with-peter-loewe-coordinating-the-effort-for-osgeo

On 2/25/20 3:47 AM, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> [...]
>> Peter
>>
>> <[hidden email]>

>> Helena Mitasova
>> Professor, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
>> Faculty Fellow,
>> Center for Geospatial Analytics
>> North Carolina State University
>> Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
>> [hidden email]
>>
> Helena Mitasova
> Professor at the Department of Marine,
> Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
> Associate director and faculty fellow at the Center for Geospatial Analytics
> North Carolina State University
> Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
> [hidden email]
>
> "All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.”

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos