EGU 2013 and FOSS GIS in geoscience, OSGeo, OSGeo Live, Open Source

EGU 2013 and FOSS GIS in geoscience, OSGeo, OSGeo Live, Open Source

Helmut Kudrnovsky
Hi,

FYI and the record, last week at EGU 2013 there were 2 nice sessions about FOSS GIS and Open Source in geosciences:

splinter meeting: Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) in the Geosciences
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2013/session/13223

session: Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) for Geoinformatics and Geosciences
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2013/session/12088

We had a chance to get ORF (Austrian Broadcast) to these sessions. :o)

and here the outcome (sorry only in german)

Nicht umsonst: Open Source in der Forschung
    http://science.orf.at/stories/1716081/

(with links to http://www.osgeo.org/ and http://live.osgeo.org/)

Digital.Leben *
   http://oe1.orf.at/programm/334386

and a short podcast (available for 1 week):

Freie Software für Tsunami-Simulation. Open Source in den Geowissenschaften.
https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/o1-digital-leben/id289702222?mt=2

have fun

best regards
Helmut

Re: EGU 2013 and FOSS GIS in geoscience, OSGeo, OSGeo Live, Open Source

Ari Jolma-2
On 04/16/2013 11:23 AM, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:
> Freie Software für Tsunami-Simulation. Open Source in den Geowissenschaften.
> https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/o1-digital-leben/id289702222?mt=2

ITunes? How do I view these in Linux? Linux - Open Source, you know.

Cheers,

Ari

> have fun
>

> -----
> best regards
> Helmut

Re: EGU 2013 and FOSS GIS in geoscience, OSGeo, OSGeo Live, Open Source

Helmut Kudrnovsky
>> https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/o1-digital-leben/id289702222?mt=2
>
>ITunes? How do I view these in Linux? Linux - Open Source, you know.

I know, ORF (Austrian Broadcast) reports about open source, but they could use it much more by themeselves.

sorry, it's beyond my area of influence .... but I'll give them a note...
best regards
Helmut

Re: EGU 2013 and FOSS GIS in geoscience, OSGeo, OSGeo Live, Open Source

madi
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/o1-digital-leben/id289702222?mt=2
>
>ITunes? How do I view these in Linux? Linux - Open Source, you know.

I know, ORF (Austrian Broadcast) reports about open source, but they could
use it much more by themeselves.

sorry, it's beyond my area of influence .... but I'll give them a note...

I would like to publicly thank you, Helmut, for bringing the attention of the Austrian Broadcast to our session and for all the effort that you made helping us for the event to be a success.

cheers,
madi

Margherita DI LEO
Postdoctoral Researcher

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission.

Re: EGU 2013 and FOSS GIS in geoscience, OSGeo, OSGeo Live, Open Source

Oliver Tonnhofer-5

On 16.04.2013, at 11:36, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:
>>> https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/o1-digital-leben/id289702222?mt=2
>>
>> ITunes? How do I view these in Linux? Linux - Open Source, you know.
>
> I know, ORF (Austrian Broadcast) reports about open source, but they could
> use it much more by themeselves.
>
> sorry, it's beyond my area of influence .... but I'll give them a note...

Here is a link to the MP3:
http://files2.orf.at/podcast/oe1/mp3/OE1_digitalleben_130415.MP3

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Tonnhofer    | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG    | http://omniscale.com
http://mapproxy.org | https://github.com/olt    | @oltonn

Re: EGU 2013 and FOSS GIS in geoscience, OSGeo, OSGeo Live, Open Source

Cameron Shorter
Hi Helmut,
I'm interested to know how OSGeo-Live was used?
Could someone please add details to:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_History

On 16/04/13 18:23, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> FYI and the record, last week at EGU 2013 there were 2 nice sessions about
> FOSS GIS and Open Source in geosciences:
>
> splinter meeting: Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) in the Geosciences
> http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2013/session/13223
>
> session: Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) for Geoinformatics and
> Geosciences
> http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2013/session/12088
>
> We had a chance to get ORF (Austrian Broadcast) to these sessions. :o)
>
> and here the outcome (sorry only in german)
>
> Nicht umsonst: Open Source in der Forschung
>      http://science.orf.at/stories/1716081/
>
> (with links to http://www.osgeo.org/ and http://live.osgeo.org/)
>
> Digital.Leben *
>     http://oe1.orf.at/programm/334386
>
> and a short podcast (available for 1 week):
>
> Freie Software für Tsunami-Simulation. Open Source in den Geowissenschaften.
> https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/o1-digital-leben/id289702222?mt=2
>
> have fun
>

> -----
> best regards
> Helmut

Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
http://www.lisasoft.com

Re: EGU 2013 and FOSS GIS in geoscience, OSGeo, OSGeo Live, Open Source

Helmut Kudrnovsky
Hi Cameron,

>Hi Helmut,
>I'm interested to know how OSGeo-Live was used?

a give-away for the journalist and some screenshots in Peter Löwe's presentation.

>Could someone please add details to:
>http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_History

yes
best regards