ECW in MapGuide 3.1

12

ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Hans Milling
Hi all

How can I get ECW to work in MapGuide 3.1? I tried the DLL's for MapGuide
3.0:
https://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MGOSGdalProviderFor26And30
But they do not work.
It seems that MapGuide 3.1 is compiled with MSVC2015 and requires GDAL 1.10.
On the GISInternals site I can only find 1.9 compiled with MSVC2015:
http://www.gisinternals.com/release.php

Please advise.

Best regards
  Hans Milling...

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Jackie Ng
3.1.0 you're out of luck.

For 3.1.1 you can grab MSVC2015-compiled GDAL 2.2.3 binaries and follow:
https://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MGOS311GdalProvider

- Jackie

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Benoit Begin
I'm kind of concerned about this. Not because it doesn't work in 3.1.0, but
because in all of our deployments thus far we have had no issues getting ECW
to work on Mapguide 3.1.0.

Would this be a Linux only issue or something else? I looked at what we
install and it's the content of the gdal-1.10-msvc2012-x64.zip and I'm
fairly certain we got it off of the OSGEO website.

Looking at what we deploy, it's the regular 3.1.0.9064 build on 64-bits on
Windows. So it really seems like we're as vanilla as it comes and doing the
steps in the initial link works just fine. Honestly, outside of forgetting
to set the GDAL_DRIVER_PATH environment variable, it was never an issue for
us. Maybe the environment variable isn't set properly or for whatever reason
the Mapguide service process doesn't have access to read it properly?

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Hans Milling
I'm on Windows. So there is still hope. Do you point the GDAL_DRIVER_PATH
environment variable to the OSGEO\MapGuide\Server\FDO or the
...FDO\gdalplugins directory?

Best regards
  Hans Milling...

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Hans Milling
The GDAL_DRIVER_PATH sort of works. I set it to the Server\Fdo\gdalplugins
directory. But the ECW is in black and white. I guess this is because the
ECW files are in a newer format than the driver can handle.

Best regards
  Hans Milling...

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Benoit Begin
Looks like you got it working better, but I will confirm that we do point to
\OSGeo\MapGuide\Server\Fdo\gdalplugins for the GDAL_DRIVER_PATH.

I do recall some weirdness happening when the alpha band was used in the
past. I'm going from memory, but I could be wrong. An ECW had 4 color bands,
so ARGB. Our issue was that the alpha band wasn't properly managed so they
appeared with 100% transparency. So this isn't exactly what's happening to
you. I can confirm, however, that an ECW generated with FME Desktop 2013 SP4
are properly handled by Mapguide as long as it's a 3-band RGB image.

I would look into what color bands your ECWs are using maybe?

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Philip Nell
Hi Jackie
Are you going to release a more 'official' 3.1.1 build?
We found that 3.1.0 on Windows 2016 server does not show ecw's, but version
3.1.1 does.  It however has the word 'Test' in the service name...
Philip Nell

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Jackie Ng
A release candidate of 3.1.1 will drop tonight. Doing some final verification
of some bug fixes.

- Jackie

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Jackie Ng
RC release has been pushed back to tonight due to a last minute problem
discovered when doing smoke tests for Ubuntu.

- Jackie

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

GordonL
Fantastic.  That build works great with ECWs!
And it  fixes the SQL server bug that requires the user to connect to every
database.

Whew.

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Philip Nell
Hi Gordon,
Where did you get the 3.1.1 RC?
Can you give me the link?
Philip Nell

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Jackie Ng
Haven't announced yet because ubuntu bits still not up, but if you want the
windows bits now:

http://download.osgeo.org/mapguide/releases/3.1.1/RC/windows/

- Jackie

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Philip Nell
Hi Jacki,
Thank you very much.  I am after the Windows bits.
Philip

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Philip Nell
Hi Jacki,  Any estimate on the time frame to final release of 3.1.1?
Thanks
Philip

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Jackie Ng
Barring any show-stoppers: One week from now.

- Jackie

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

GordonL
For MapGuide 3.1.1 in Windows 64 bit:

1. Download
http://download.gisinternals.com/sdk/downloads/release-1900-x64-gdal-2-2-mapserver-7-0.zip

2. Stop the MapGuide Service

3, Unzip and copy contents of the BIN into the C:\Program
Files\OSGeo\MapGuide\Server\Fdo folder

4. Copy the C:\Program Files\OSGeo\MapGuide\Server\Fdo\gdal\plugins folder
and paste it in the C:\Program Files\OSGeo\MapGuide\Server\bin folder.

5. Rename the plugins to gdalplugins so you end up with a folder called
C:\Program Files\OSGeo\MapGuide\Server\bin\gdalplugins

6. Start the MapGuide Service

I can confirm the GDAL data source can now view both MR SID and ECW files.

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

satish
Gordon..

i have tried with the configuration given, i am working with Ecw image
format and Tiff Format, i am able to see raster layer attached to map i
layout legend , but i couldn't see anything in layout.

Do i need to change any configuration in serverconfig file. please advise

Thank you

Satish

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

GordonL
I couldn't get this when I installed 3.1.1 over 3 or 3.1.  I had to
completely uninstall 3.1 or  3.0 first.

Once I did that and install 3.1.1, restart, and follow the steps, it worked
for me.

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

satish
Gordon..

I tried removing all the old stuff and installed 3.1.1 , but no luck, i am
trying with 2 server environment , installed web server ext. in one
server-1(IIS- PHP) and Mapguide Server on sever-2

Followed Gdal Configuration on Server-2. will that be an issue..?

If that is the case  how i need to configure Gdal registered in both the
servers, please advise

Thanks&Regards
Satish

Re: ECW in MapGuide 3.1

Jackie Ng
The web tier knows nothing (and should not need to know anything) about FDO
(and its ECW-enabled GDAL provider), so you should only need to this
configuration on server-2

- Jackie

12