ECW Problems?

Bill Binko
Hi everyone

I've been using Mapserver mainly for vector data, and now have some
rasters (DOQQs) that I'd like to integrate.  Unfortunately, they came as
ECW files and I'm using a Linux box, so I think I have some work cut out
for me.

I have built GDAL CVS HEAD using the binaries for ERMapper's libs from
gdal.org (they're the only ones that I could get to download).

The problem is that I'm getting a thread that hangs around at the end of
any of the gdal* commands.  For example, here's what I get when I run the
gdalinfo on one of the files:

#0  0xffffe410 in ?? ()
#1  0xbfff5968 in ?? ()
#2  0x409ba164 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libNCSUtil.so
#3  0x00000000 in ?? ()
#4  0x404b2ba6 in __nanosleep_nocancel () from /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0
#5  0x409b6408 in NCSSleep () from /usr/lib/libNCSUtil.so
#6  0x409b17ba in CNCSThread::Stop () from /usr/lib/libNCSUtil.so
#7  0x4052e164 in CNCSJP2FileView::Shutdown () from /usr/lib/libNCSEcw.so
#8  0x40526ad9 in CNCSJP2FileView::~CNCSJP2FileView () from /usr/lib/libNCSEcw.so
#9  0x404fd6d4 in CNCSFile::~CNCSFile () from /usr/lib/libNCSEcw.so
#10 0x400ced35 in ECWDataset::~ECWDataset () from /usr/lib/libgdal.so.1
#11 0x401780b7 in GDALClose () from /usr/lib/libgdal.so.1
#12 0x0804a41f in main ()

It looks like a fun pthread concurrency problem.  I'll be happy to attack
it, but I really don't want to go through this if it's not necessary.

Has anyone been looking at this?  I saw a note a few months ago that might
be this, but nothing since.

Thanks
Bill

PS: where can I get the ERMapper SDK source?

Re: ECW Problems?

Ken Boss
>>> Bill Binko <[hidden email]> 06/03/05 10:39 AM >>>
>Hi everyone

>PS: where can I get the ERMapper SDK source?

Hi Bill--

The source is available at http://www.ermapper.com/downloads/download_view.aspx?PRODUCT_VERSION_ID=263.  It's v3.1 RC1; RC2 has yet to be released in source form.  You'll need to create a (free) account before downloading.

HTH,

--Ken

Re: ECW Problems?

Bill Binko
On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Ken Boss wrote:

> >Hi everyone

> >PS: where can I get the ERMapper SDK source?
>
> Hi Bill--
>
> The source is available at http://www.ermapper.com/downloads/download_view.aspx?PRODUCT_VERSION_ID=263.  It's v3.1 RC1; RC2 has yet to be released in source form.  You'll need to create a (free) account before downloading.

Ack!

Thanks! However, it looks like a nightmare to build!

I'll give it a shot
Bill

Re: ECW build and licensing, forthcoming source distribution (was: ECW Problems?)

tflynch
Hi Bill,

Thanks for reporting this problem, we're checking it out.  The ECW
JPEG 2000 SDK RC2 source code has actually been online for some time,
and should be slightly more pleasant out of the box than RC1.

We (ER Mapper) have been very aware of the ongoing issues with
building the SDK and are currently hunting for a silver bullet ... a
new release candidate is due out soon with a new build system allowing
all ECW and JPEG 2000 support (what was previously NCSEcw, NCSUtil and
NCScnet) to be combined in either one static, or one shared library
object (which we are referring to as libecwj2).

The new source code distribution will also ship with the standard
example code and makefiles for building with the new single library
structure, which should help people get to grips with the ECW JPEG
2000 SDK.  I have been mentioning it to people for a while now, but
for various reasons (mainly legacy code, the introduction of static
linkage and the need for cross-platform testing) it has not been made
available yet.

The old build system will continue in place for the time being as
well.  The goal is to turn building the library into a one-liner on
Win32 and common *NIX platforms including GNU/Linux, Solaris and Mac
OS X.

Also, yesterday it was confirmed to me that the "server software
restriction" (which theoretically prohibited OSS projects built on the
SDK from including server components) is being lifted from the Public
Use License Agreement, the SDK's copyleft-restricted license.  This
means it is now available under a license very nearly equivalent to
the GPL.

The SDK has two other licenses for Free Use (MIT-style with a
restriction on the maximum size of input datasets for ECW and JPEG
2000 compression ) and Commercial Use - these continue to include the
"server restriction" - for the time being - for commercial reasons.

Tom.

<snip>

--
Tom Lynch
Development, ER Mapper

Re: ECW build and licensing, forthcoming source distribution (was: ECW Problems?)

Bill Binko

Tom, thanks for the update.

I recently got ECW DOQQs for about 1/4 of Florida, which I'd like to
integrate into my mapserver-based site.  To do that effectively, I need
GDAL to work well with them, and hence a working ECW library.I am looking
forward to being able to use GDAL's utilities to build a pyramid tiling
scheme and making these available to my users.

As I mentioned in the post, (for the benefit of those cross-posted) the
current problem happenes about 1 in 3 executions of any GDAL utility (or
mapserver call to GDAL), and basically never lets the process end.  There
is a hanging thread or a deadlock somewhere between the GDAL and ECW use
of pthreads.

I am happy to assist in debugging this, but would like to do so with the
most recent version possible, and only if necessary.

I have downloaded RC2 and will to build it and try again.  It will
probably be Monday before I can report back.

Thanks for the update, and I (seriously) look forward to the simpler build
system (hint, hint - autoconf is EVIL, but it works).

Thanks

Bill

PS: now that Frank is back from vacation, I might bug him about this as
well :)