ECW Licence

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ECW Licence

Yves Jacolin
Hi,

I send an email in this list to know why qgis 0.8 can't read ecw file. Tim
Sutton reply me that he was "still unclear if the
licensing of ECW is compatible with GPL applications".

I just read the SDK pages about the librairy :

"You can **select one of the three simple** license agreements for use of this
library (full license agreement text is available here and in the SDK
itself).

Licensing:

    * Free use license: A free license, providing unlimited
read/500MB-per-image  compression for ECW and JPEG 2000 in any application
including commercial applications.
    * GPL-style license: A free license, providing unlimited read/unlimited
compression  for ECW and JPEG 2000 in any GPL style application.
    * Commercial license: Once off fee license with no royalties for
commercial  applications needing unlimited compression for ECW and JPEG
2000."

So it seems possible to use a GPL-like licence for the librairy. In the
licence.txt we can read :

"Use of the ECW JPEG 2000 SDK with Unlimited Decompressing and Unlimited
Compression for applications licensed under a GNU General Public style
license ("GPL") is governed by the "ECW JPEG 2000 SDK PUBLIC USE LICENSE
AGREEMENT"."

and :

"The intent of this license is to establish **freedom to share** and change
the software regulated by this license under the open source model and is
applicable to the use of the ECW JPEG 2000 SDK with Unlimited Decompressing
and Unlimited Compression for applications licensed under a GNU General
Public style license ("GPL") as set out below.
**This license applies to any use of the Software Product solely intended to
develop or be distributed with products that are licensed under a license
similar to a General Public License ("GPL") and at no charge to the public**.  
This license covers modification and distribution of the Software, use of
third-party application programs based on the Software, and development of
free software that uses the Software."

I am not a guru about law and licence, but do you think this quote allow qgis
team to distribute qgis with ecw librairy ?

Sorry if I missed something !

Regards,

Y.
--
Yves Jacolin
---
http://yjacolin.gloobe.org
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ECW Licence

doktoreas
Hi!

I encountered the same question while building a Livecd with QGIS and others software.
The matter is that you can't pre-build gdal with ecw enabled inside..or at least is what I
heard around.

I asked also for official answer from Earth Resource Mapping but got no answer.

Bye
Luca


On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:32:38 +0100
Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not a guru about law and licence, but do you think this quote allow qgis
> team to distribute qgis with ecw librairy ?
>
> Sorry if I missed something !
>
> Regards,
>
> Y.
> --
> Yves Jacolin



--
Join the world's largest wifi conunity! http://en.fon.com/

LINUX User #411601
GENTOO-GIS Development Team
jabber: [hidden email]

 
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ECW Licence

doktoreas
In reply to this post by Yves Jacolin
The matter is that you use ECW with GDAL, that is not under GPL, but under "MIT
License".

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:32:38 +0100
Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So it seems possible to use a GPL-like licence for the librairy. In the
> licence.txt we can read


--
Join the world's largest wifi conunity! http://en.fon.com/

LINUX User #411601
GENTOO-GIS Development Team
jabber: [hidden email]

 
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ECW Licence

Yves Jacolin
Le Lundi 8 Janvier 2007 13:50, Luca Casagrande a écrit :
> The matter is that you use ECW with GDAL, that is not under GPL, but under
> "MIT License".
>
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:32:38 +0100
>
> Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > So it seems possible to use a GPL-like licence for the librairy. In the
> > licence.txt we can read
So it will better to have ecw sdk under a LGPL licence ?

Or do we need to use a MIT licence for the librairy which we want to link GDAL
to ?

Thanks for your answer.

Y.
--
Yves Jacolin
---
http://yjacolin.gloobe.org
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ECW Licence

Oleg Gusev
In reply to this post by doktoreas
Am Montag, 8. Januar 2007 13:50 schrieb Luca Casagrande:
>
> The matter is that you use ECW with GDAL, that is not under GPL, but under
> "MIT License".
>

I doubt it's an issue, because anybody can re-release MIT-licensed software
under GPL.

 Oleg.
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ECW Licence

pcav
In reply to this post by Yves Jacolin
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I have heard pepole at Debian has analyzed the licence, and they found
it almost compatible with free redistribution.
Canop somebody clarify this?
I think this is a good candidate for a FAQ
Thanks.
pc

Yves Jacolin ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> I send an email in this list to know why qgis 0.8 can't read ecw file. Tim
> Sutton reply me that he was "still unclear if the
> licensing of ECW is compatible with GPL applications".
>
> I just read the SDK pages about the librairy :
>
> "You can **select one of the three simple** license agreements for use of this
> library (full license agreement text is available here and in the SDK
> itself).
>
> Licensing:
>
>     * Free use license: A free license, providing unlimited
> read/500MB-per-image  compression for ECW and JPEG 2000 in any application
> including commercial applications.
>     * GPL-style license: A free license, providing unlimited read/unlimited
> compression  for ECW and JPEG 2000 in any GPL style application.
>     * Commercial license: Once off fee license with no royalties for
> commercial  applications needing unlimited compression for ECW and JPEG
> 2000."
>
> So it seems possible to use a GPL-like licence for the librairy. In the
> licence.txt we can read :
>
> "Use of the ECW JPEG 2000 SDK with Unlimited Decompressing and Unlimited
> Compression for applications licensed under a GNU General Public style
> license ("GPL") is governed by the "ECW JPEG 2000 SDK PUBLIC USE LICENSE
> AGREEMENT"."
>
> and :
>
> "The intent of this license is to establish **freedom to share** and change
> the software regulated by this license under the open source model and is
> applicable to the use of the ECW JPEG 2000 SDK with Unlimited Decompressing
> and Unlimited Compression for applications licensed under a GNU General
> Public style license ("GPL") as set out below.
> **This license applies to any use of the Software Product solely intended to
> develop or be distributed with products that are licensed under a license
> similar to a General Public License ("GPL") and at no charge to the public**.  
> This license covers modification and distribution of the Software, use of
> third-party application programs based on the Software, and development of
> free software that uses the Software."
>
> I am not a guru about law and licence, but do you think this quote allow qgis
> team to distribute qgis with ecw librairy ?
>
> Sorry if I missed something !
>
> Regards,
>
> Y.

- --
Paolo Cavallini
email+jabber: [hidden email]
www.faunalia.it
Piazza Garibaldi 5 - 56025 Pontedera (PI), Italy   Tel: (+39)348-3801953
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFFokKo/NedwLUzIr4RAnC+AJ4j2d1rip2YK1zTprjqiGPV6bhcbQCgqZ6q
/QV4TohtVNVdTnGL3HVLMY4=
=bg7N
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ECW Licence

Radim Blazek-2
In reply to this post by doktoreas
On 1/8/07, Luca Casagrande <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The matter is that you use ECW with GDAL, that is not under GPL, but under "MIT
> License".

MIT License gives more freedom than GPL. I don't see any problem except
that GDAL with built in GPL part cannot be distributed as MIT licensed library.
It is possible to relicense MIT SW to GPL but it is not vice versa.
IMO everything is OK if we add a note somewhere that a part of GDAL
binary build
is GPL and it restricts the use of GDAL to GPL. In any case we cannot violate
ECW's GPL because everything we distribute is GPL or MIT, we dont use
any piece code which is not GPL compatible.

Radim

> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:32:38 +0100
> Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So it seems possible to use a GPL-like licence for the librairy. In the
> > licence.txt we can read
>
>
> --
> Join the world's largest wifi conunity! http://en.fon.com/
>
> LINUX User #411601
> GENTOO-GIS Development Team
> jabber: [hidden email]
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Qgis-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
>
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ECW Licence

Steve Halasz-3
In reply to this post by pcav
Hi,

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 14:10 +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> I have heard pepole at Debian has analyzed the licence, and they found
> it almost compatible with free redistribution.
> Canop somebody clarify this?
> I think this is a good candidate for a FAQ
> Thanks.
> pc

The license analysis done by Debian is linked from this thread:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-grass-general/2005-August/001083.html

In that thread we discuss builing ecw support as a separate loadable
module to go in Debian contrib, although we haven't yet done so.

I think it is important to note that ER Mapper describes this license as
GPL-like, but it is not the GPL. Josh Triplet also says, "Furthermore,
it should be noted that while their license seems to grant permission to
build GPLed software based on their system, the GPL itself does *not*
grant that permission (since this license is non-free), so any such
GPLed software would need an exception clause to be distributable."

It is also possible that the license has changed since these
discussions. They may have removed the "don't use it with a server
system" requirement, I forget. The restriction on changing the ECW file
format is the main sticking point when it comes to Freeness, though.

Steve

>
> Yves Jacolin ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I send an email in this list to know why qgis 0.8 can't read ecw file. Tim
> > Sutton reply me that he was "still unclear if the
> > licensing of ECW is compatible with GPL applications".
> >
> > I just read the SDK pages about the librairy :
> >
> > "You can **select one of the three simple** license agreements for use of this
> > library (full license agreement text is available here and in the SDK
> > itself).
> >
> > Licensing:
> >
> >     * Free use license: A free license, providing unlimited
> > read/500MB-per-image  compression for ECW and JPEG 2000 in any application
> > including commercial applications.
> >     * GPL-style license: A free license, providing unlimited read/unlimited
> > compression  for ECW and JPEG 2000 in any GPL style application.
> >     * Commercial license: Once off fee license with no royalties for
> > commercial  applications needing unlimited compression for ECW and JPEG
> > 2000."
> >
> > So it seems possible to use a GPL-like licence for the librairy. In the
> > licence.txt we can read :
> >
> > "Use of the ECW JPEG 2000 SDK with Unlimited Decompressing and Unlimited
> > Compression for applications licensed under a GNU General Public style
> > license ("GPL") is governed by the "ECW JPEG 2000 SDK PUBLIC USE LICENSE
> > AGREEMENT"."
> >
> > and :
> >
> > "The intent of this license is to establish **freedom to share** and change
> > the software regulated by this license under the open source model and is
> > applicable to the use of the ECW JPEG 2000 SDK with Unlimited Decompressing
> > and Unlimited Compression for applications licensed under a GNU General
> > Public style license ("GPL") as set out below.
> > **This license applies to any use of the Software Product solely intended to
> > develop or be distributed with products that are licensed under a license
> > similar to a General Public License ("GPL") and at no charge to the public**.  
> > This license covers modification and distribution of the Software, use of
> > third-party application programs based on the Software, and development of
> > free software that uses the Software."
> >
> > I am not a guru about law and licence, but do you think this quote allow qgis
> > team to distribute qgis with ecw librairy ?
> >
> > Sorry if I missed something !
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Y.
>
> - --
> Paolo Cavallini
> email+jabber: [hidden email]
> www.faunalia.it
> Piazza Garibaldi 5 - 56025 Pontedera (PI), Italy   Tel: (+39)348-3801953
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
>
> iD8DBQFFokKo/NedwLUzIr4RAnC+AJ4j2d1rip2YK1zTprjqiGPV6bhcbQCgqZ6q
> /QV4TohtVNVdTnGL3HVLMY4=
> =bg7N
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> _______________________________________________
> Qgis-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user

_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ECW Licence

Yves Jacolin
Le Lundi 8 Janvier 2007 16:03, Steve Halasz a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 14:10 +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> [..]
> It is also possible that the license has changed since these
> discussions. They may have removed the "don't use it with a server
> system" requirement, I forget. The restriction on changing the ECW file
> format is the main sticking point when it comes to Freeness, though.
Hi,

You can read at the bottom of this page :
http://www.ermapper.com/downloads/download_view.aspx?PRODUCT_VERSION_ID=305
that :

"Version Features
[..]
Product enhancements, including:
    * no more restrictions on the distribution of 'Server Software' under the
GPL-style Public Use License Agreement

Details
[..]
Release Date: Wednesday, September 06, 2006"

So it seems quite new : 6/09/06.

Regards,

Yves Jacolin
---
http://yjacolin.gloobe.org
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ECW Licence

Fabrice-8
In reply to this post by Yves Jacolin

Hi all,

 

I have read with a great interest your discusion about ECW licence.

It doesn’t seems  very simple…

 

The ability of QGis (windows binaries) to read ECW is also a fundamental point for us if we want to adopt QGIS.

Several opensource project (gvSIG, Mapserver, FWTools, …) based of course upon GDAL raster access, are already able to read ECW, but not QGIS.

 

The link produced by Yves Jacobin seems to break the seals on GPL software :

 

*****************************************

http://www.ermapper.com/downloads/download_view.aspx?PRODUCT_VERSION_ID=305

Licensing:

  • Free use license: A free license, providing unlimited read/500MB-per-image  compression for ECW and JPEG 2000 in any application including commercial applications.
  • GPL-style license: A free license, providing unlimited read/unlimited compression  for ECW and JPEG 2000 in any GPL style application.
  • Commercial license: Once off fee license with no royalties for commercial  applications needing unlimited compression for ECW and JPEG 2000.

Unless you need to support compression of images larger than 500MB in commercial applications, one of the two free licenses should address your needs.

Release Date: Wednesday, September 06, 2006

******************************************

 

Does it means we can expect a windows compiled distribution of QGIS that will read ECW ?

Or is there still a problem ?

 

Many Thanks !

 

 

Fabrice THEVENON

Direction des Moyens Techniques

Conseil Général des Pyrénées-Atlantiques

64 avenue Jean Biray

64058 Pau Cedex 9

05 59 11 40 72

 


_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ECW Licence

Tim Sutton
Hi

In my mind (from the discussions we have had on this list) the issue
is still not resolved. I think there is nothing to stop someone
creating an unofficial / independent gdal + ecw installer if they are
not so scrupulous / concerned about the licensing and make it so it
overwrites the gdal in the official qgis installer. Maybe even this is
considered bad Im not sure, but at the very least QGIS project wont be
involved in any wrongdoing if the legality is questionable. But I
think until its 100% confirmed that ECW license is compatibe with QGIS
& GDAL we should err on the side of caution when it comes to shipping
ecw out of the box with QGIS.

Regards

Tim

On 1/11/07, Thevenon Fabrice <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>
>
> Hi all,
>
>
>
> I have read with a great interest your discusion about ECW licence.
>
> It doesn't seems  very simple…
>
>
>
> The ability of QGis (windows binaries) to read ECW is also a fundamental
> point for us if we want to adopt QGIS.
>
> Several opensource project (gvSIG, Mapserver, FWTools, …) based of course
> upon GDAL raster access, are already able to read ECW, but not QGIS.
>
>
>
> The link produced by Yves Jacobin seems to break the seals on GPL software :
>
>
>
> *****************************************
> http://www.ermapper.com/downloads/download_view.aspx?PRODUCT_VERSION_ID=305
>
>
> Licensing:
>
> Free use license: A free license, providing unlimited read/500MB-per-image
> compression for ECW and JPEG 2000 in any application including commercial
> applications.
> GPL-style license: A free license, providing unlimited read/unlimited
> compression  for ECW and JPEG 2000 in any GPL style application.
> Commercial license: Once off fee license with no royalties for commercial
> applications needing unlimited compression for ECW and JPEG 2000.
>
> Unless you need to support compression of images larger than 500MB in
> commercial applications, one of the two free licenses should address your
> needs.
>
> Release Date: Wednesday, September 06, 2006
>
> ******************************************
>
>
>
> Does it means we can expect a windows compiled distribution of QGIS that
> will read ECW ?
>
> Or is there still a problem ?
>
>
>
> Many Thanks !
>
>
>
>
>
> Fabrice THEVENON
>
> Direction des Moyens Techniques
>
> Conseil Général des Pyrénées-Atlantiques
>
> 64 avenue Jean Biray
>
> 64058 Pau Cedex 9
>
> 05 59 11 40 72
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Qgis-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
>
>
>


--
--
Tim Sutton

Visit http://qgis.org for a great Open Source GIS
Home Page: http://linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux
MSN: [hidden email]
Yahoo: [hidden email]
Jabber: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ECW Licence

pcav
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

See this:
http://forums.ermapper.com/viewtopic.php?p=3993#3993
pc

Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> Hi
>
> In my mind (from the discussions we have had on this list) the issue
> is still not resolved. I think there is nothing to stop someone
> creating an unofficial / independent gdal + ecw installer if they are
> not so scrupulous / concerned about the licensing and make it so it
> overwrites the gdal in the official qgis installer. Maybe even this is
> considered bad Im not sure, but at the very least QGIS project wont be
> involved in any wrongdoing if the legality is questionable. But I
> think until its 100% confirmed that ECW license is compatibe with QGIS
> & GDAL we should err on the side of caution when it comes to shipping
> ecw out of the box with QGIS.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
- --
Paolo Cavallini
email+jabber: [hidden email]
www.faunalia.it
Piazza Garibaldi 5 - 56025 Pontedera (PI), Italy   Tel: (+39)348-3801953
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFFpzVU/NedwLUzIr4RAtN/AJ0VGbv3pO0bc9VIT38ntWtJ723GowCeJsES
EXgcs8oJUIS2kWlCRYMgOZg=
=AhAX
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ECW Licence

Tim Sutton
Hi

As far as I know the discussion at

http://forums.ermapper.com/viewtopic.php?p=3993#3993

still applies...

Regards

Tim

2007/3/14, Johann Beauvery <[hidden email]>:

>
>  Hi Tim,
>  What's up about ECW integration?
>  Bests regards    yo
>
>
>  Paolo Cavallini a écrit :
>  -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> See this:
> http://forums.ermapper.com/viewtopic.php?p=3993#3993
> pc
>
> Tim Sutton ha scritto:
>
>
>  Hi
>
> In my mind (from the discussions we have had on this list) the issue
> is still not resolved. I think there is nothing to stop someone
> creating an unofficial / independent gdal + ecw installer if they are
> not so scrupulous / concerned about the licensing and make it so it
> overwrites the gdal in the official qgis installer. Maybe even this is
> considered bad Im not sure, but at the very least QGIS project wont be
> involved in any wrongdoing if the legality is questionable. But I
> think until its 100% confirmed that ECW license is compatibe with QGIS
> & GDAL we should err on the side of caution when it comes to shipping
> ecw out of the box with QGIS.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
>
> - --
> Paolo Cavallini
> email+jabber: [hidden email]
> www.faunalia.it
> Piazza Garibaldi 5 - 56025 Pontedera (PI), Italy Tel: (+39)348-3801953
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
>
> iD8DBQFFpzVU/NedwLUzIr4RAtN/AJ0VGbv3pO0bc9VIT38ntWtJ723GowCeJsES
> EXgcs8oJUIS2kWlCRYMgOZg=
> =AhAX
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> _______________________________________________
> Qgis-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
>
>
>
>  --
> Johann BEAUVERY
> Spécialiste SIG DT Alsace
> ONF - 22 rue de Herrlisheim
> 68000 Colmar
> 03 89 22 96 19 ou 03 88 76 76 47
> [hidden email]
>


--
--
Tim Sutton

Visit http://qgis.org for a great Open Source GIS
Home Page: http://linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux
MSN: [hidden email]
Yahoo: [hidden email]
Jabber: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user