ECQL with space in attribute name

Billy Newman

    ${"property.Some Attribute"}

The important part is that the attribute has a space in it.

When I do this I get the following exception from geoserver:

    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid cql expression '"property.Some Attribute"'
    at org.geotools.renderer.style.ExpressionExtractor.splitCqlExpressions(ExpressionExtractor.java:122)
    at org.geotools.renderer.style.ExpressionExtractor.extractCqlExpressions(ExpressionExtractor.java:162)
    at org.geotools.styling.StyleAttributeExtractor.visitCqlExpression(StyleAttributeExtractor.java:392)
    at org.geotools.styling.StyleAttributeExtractor.visit(StyleAttributeExtractor.java:406)
    at org.geotools.styling.ExternalGraphicImpl.accept(ExternalGraphicImpl.java:142)
    at org.geotools.styling.StyleAttributeExtractor.visit(StyleAttributeExtractor.java:342)
    at org.geotools.styling.GraphicImpl.accept(GraphicImpl.java:349)
    at org.geotools.styling.StyleAttributeExtractor.visit(StyleAttributeExtractor.java:232)
    at org.geotools.styling.PointSymbolizerImpl.accept(PointSymbolizerImpl.java:93)

    Caused by: org.geotools.filter.text.cql2.CQLException: Encountered "\"" at line 1, column 1.
    Was expecting one of:
        <STRING_LITERAL> ...
        "true" ...
        "false" ...
        "point" ...
        "linestring" ...
        "polygon" ...
        "multipoint" ...
        "multilinestring" ...
        "multipolygon" ...
        "geometrycollection" ...
        "envelope" ...
        "(" ...
        "[" ...
        "-" ...
        <INTEGER_LITERAL> ...
        <FLOATING_LITERAL> ...
        <DATE> ...
        <DATE_TIME> ...
        <IDENTIFIER> ...
         Parsing : "property.Some Attribute".
    at org.geotools.filter.text.ecql.ECQLCompiler.compileExpression(ECQLCompiler.java:117)
    at org.geotools.filter.text.commons.CompilerUtil.parseExpression(CompilerUtil.java:175)
    at org.geotools.filter.text.ecql.ECQL.toExpression(ECQL.java:157)
    at org.geotools.filter.text.ecql.ECQL.toExpression(ECQL.java:136)
    at org.geotools.renderer.style.ExpressionExtractor.splitCqlExpressions(ExpressionExtractor.java:119)
    ... 105 more

Looking here:

It states:
  • Attribute names quoted with double-quotes may be any sequence of characters.
Does that include spaces?

Thanks.

Re: ECQL with space in attribute name

jody.garnett
I think you may need to quote it in square brackets, check the grammer: https://github.com/geotools/geotools/blob/master/modules/library/cql/ECQL.md

    /*The following section is intended to give context for identifier and
    namespaces. It assumes that the default namespace is specified in the
    query request and does not allow any overrides of the namepace */
    <identifier> ::=
    <identifier start [ { <colon> | <identifier part> }... ]
    <identifier start> ::= <simple Latin letter>
    <simple attribute name> ::= <identifier>
                                  [{<identifier><period>}...]
                                  <simple attribute name>
Does not look like it supports whitepace :(
--
Jody Garnett

On 9 March 2017 at 10:00, Billy Newman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jody,

Thanks!  And yeah bummer :(

Bigger questions.

1. Should/Could ECQL support white spaces in attribute names?
2. Even if ECQL could support this does it make sense in GeoServer to have an attribute of a layer/featuretype with a space in the name?  IE will a space in an attribute name cause problems in other areas?

-Billy

On Mar 9, 2017, at 11:53 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

One final thing to check Billy - the test cases.

Sigh - I thought [property.Some Attribute] would work.

--
Jody Garnett

On 9 March 2017 at 11:10, Billy Newman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ron Lindhoudt
Double quote (") around attribute name should work?

http://sdm.link/oxford

Re: ECQL with space in attribute name

Billy Newman
Ron,

I was hoping that was the case.  Jody had a great idea, the test cases.  I wrote this test case in the CQLAttributeNameTest.java:

    @Test
    public void spaceInAttributeName() throws CQLException {
    testAttributeBetweenDoubleQuotes("\"Some Attribute\"");
    }

The test failed with the same error.

-Billy

On Mar 10, 2017, at 12:58 AM, Ron Lindhoudt <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

geowolf
On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 8:10 PM, Billy Newman <[hidden email]> wrote:
2. Even if ECQL could support this does it make sense in GeoServer to have an attribute of a layer/featuretype with a space in the name?  IE will a space in an attribute name cause problems in other areas?

Would kill WFS encoding of GML dead (attribute names are element names)

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.