Duplicated keyboard shortcuts

Alexander Bruy
Hi all,

cleaning up bugtracker I found issue about duplicated keyboard shortcuts
in QGIS [0]. There are at least two duplications:

Ctrl+Shift+M: Measure Line Length
Ctrl+Shift+M: Add MSSQL Spatial Layer...
Ctrl+Shift+O: Add to Overview
Ctrl+Shift+O: Add Oracle Spatial-Layer...

It is easy to fix, but I think that first we should decide which shortcuts to
change and how. All measure tools use Ctrl+Shift+... and all add layer
actions also use Ctrl+Shift+... We can change just last part of shortcuts
or choose completely different combination, e.g Ctrl+Alt etc.

Any thoughts?

[0] https://hub.qgis.org/issues/7904

--
Alexander Bruy

Re: Duplicated keyboard shortcuts

Anita Graser
Hi Alex,

​Thanks for raising this issue!​

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 4:29 PM, Alexander Bruy <[hidden email]> wrote:
cleaning up bugtracker I found issue about duplicated keyboard shortcuts
in QGIS [0]. There are at least two duplications:

Ctrl+Shift+M: Measure Line Length
Ctrl+Shift+M: Add MSSQL Spatial Layer...
Ctrl+Shift+O: Add to Overview
Ctrl+Shift+O: Add Oracle Spatial-Layer...

It is easy to fix, but I think that first we should decide which shortcuts to
change and how. All measure tools use Ctrl+Shift+... and all add layer
actions also use Ctrl+Shift+... We can change just last part of shortcuts
or choose completely different combination, e.g Ctrl+Alt etc.

​I don't have strong preferences, but I'd assume that measuring actions are used more often/repeatedly than adding layers. So maybe the adding layer actions could be changed to different last part letters. Do we have an overview somewhere of which letters are still available?

Best wishes,
Anita

Re: Duplicated keyboard shortcuts

Alexander Bruy
I don't think that full list of shortcuts exists somewhere. It is possible
to look at assigned shortcuts in the "Configure shortcuts" dialog, but
it misses keybindings, used in the Composer.

Another possible way is to open main QGIS *.ui file and composer *.ui
file in the Qt Designer and examine actions in it.

> Hi Alex,
>
> Thanks for raising this issue!
>

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 4:29 PM, Alexander Bruy <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> cleaning up bugtracker I found issue about duplicated keyboard shortcuts
>> in QGIS [0]. There are at least two duplications:
>>
>> Ctrl+Shift+M: Measure Line Length
>> Ctrl+Shift+M: Add MSSQL Spatial Layer...
>> Ctrl+Shift+O: Add to Overview
>> Ctrl+Shift+O: Add Oracle Spatial-Layer...
>>
>> It is easy to fix, but I think that first we should decide which shortcuts
>> change and how. All measure tools use Ctrl+Shift+... and all add layer
>> actions also use Ctrl+Shift+... We can change just last part of shortcuts
>> or choose completely different combination, e.g Ctrl+Alt etc.
>

> I don't have strong preferences, but I'd assume that measuring actions are
> used more often/repeatedly than adding layers. So maybe the adding layer
> actions could be changed to different last part letters. Do we have an
> overview somewhere of which letters are still available?
>
> Best wishes,
> Anita

Alexander Bruy