Drones in forestry

Piotr Kania
Hi!

I'm sorry if my question is out of the main topics - my current employer
would like to buy drone. They would like to use it for "registration"
such things as (for example) - small areas without trees in dense
forest, that were cut (it's not a national park, but normal typical
forest -> so here we have timber harvest etc.); here is link to Google
Maps, that shows what I mean -

https://goo.gl/maps/iEPchbrTYyQ2

Normally I (or someone else) must walk with gps receiver, then digitize
that "holes" in qgis. The idea is to use drone for that - and here is my
question - what would you recommend? - I know the max. acceptable price
is about 2300 usd, but it's better to assume 1200 usd. I think my
employer would be already happy if such "drone" just make aerial photos
that can be used for mapping, I don't think that my company would like
to have some 3d data (DEM, DSM).

Thanks for any hints

Re: Drones in forestry

Nuno Manuel de Figueiredo de Santos Loureiro
Hi Piotr,

I'm using a Phanthom 3 Pro to take the photos.
Also, I'm using Maps Made Easy (https://www.mapsmadeeasy.com/) to
manage the photos.
Cheap, easy and very good results!

Kind regards,

Nuno

Citando Piotr Kania <[hidden email]>:

> Hi!
>
> I'm sorry if my question is out of the main topics - my current
> employer would like to buy drone. They would like to use it for
> "registration" such things as (for example) - small areas without
> trees in dense forest, that were cut (it's not a national park, but
> normal typical forest -> so here we have timber harvest etc.); here
> is link to Google Maps, that shows what I mean -
>
> https://goo.gl/maps/iEPchbrTYyQ2
>
> Normally I (or someone else) must walk with gps receiver, then
> digitize that "holes" in qgis. The idea is to use drone for that -
> and here is my question - what would you recommend? - I know the
> max. acceptable price is about 2300 usd, but it's better to assume
> 1200 usd. I think my employer would be already happy if such "drone"
> just make aerial photos that can be used for mapping, I don't think
> that my company would like to have some 3d data (DEM, DSM).
>
> Thanks for any hints

Nuno

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Nuno de Santos Loureiro (PhD)
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia - DCTMA - Ed. 8
Universidade do Algarve
Campus de Gambelas
8005-139 FARO   (Portugal)
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Re: Drones in forestry

ralfwessels
Hi Piotre,
don't know much about drones, but nowadays you can get a lot of high resolution satellite images (below 1m) where you schould identify holes in forests.
I guess prices for these are cheaper than a drone and you will have much less work to analyse the data.
Ralf

Re: Drones in forestry

alechamizo

Hello Piort,

In my opinion everything depends on the surface extensions. Flying an extension of 500 ha with a multi-rotor drone would be practically unfeasible, would consume many batteries, for those surfaces are recommended fixed-wing drones capable of flying surfaces up to 1000 ha in a single flight, some have up to an hour of autonomy, but these drones are out of your budget, cost more than 2000 $

If the surfaces are very extensive, it would be better idea to think of satellite images as the colleage said, you could study if you serve the images of Sentinel-2, with resolution of 10m, are free.

 Enviado con Mailtrack

[...]

Logo

Alejandro Chamizo de Castro

Analista SIG

+34 653681823 · [hidden email]

www.agprecision.es

eco No me imprimas si no es necesario. Protejamos el medio ambiente

View Tony Wilson's profile on LinkedIn

Re: Drones in forestry

Jan Michálek
Look at this
http://opendronemap.github.io/odm/#

Suite from create outputs from drone/kite/baloon

On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 04:55:30PM +0000, Alejandro Chamizo de Castro wrote:

> Hello Piort,
>
> In my opinion everything depends on the surface extensions. Flying an extension
> of 500 ha with a multi-rotor drone would be practically unfeasible, would
> consume many batteries, for those surfaces are recommended fixed-wing drones
> capable of flying surfaces up to 1000 ha in a single flight, some have up to an
> hour of autonomy, but these drones are out of your budget, cost more than 2000
> $
>
> If the surfaces are very extensive, it would be better idea to think of
> satellite images as the colleage said, you could study if you serve the images
> of Sentinel-2, with resolution of 10m, are free.
>
> ● Enviado con Mailtrack
> *

>     Hi!
>
>     I'm sorry if my question is out of the main topics - my current employer
>     would like to buy drone. They would like to use it for "registration" such
>     things as (for example) - small areas without trees in dense forest, that
>     were cut (it's not a national park, but normal typical forest -> so here we
>     have timber harvest etc.); here is link to Google Maps, that shows what I
>     mean -
>
>     https://goo.gl/maps/iEPchbrTYyQ2
>
>     Normally I (or someone else) must walk with gps receiver, then digitize
>     that "holes" in qgis. The idea is to use drone for that - and here is my
>     question - what would you recommend? - I know the max. acceptable price is
>     about 2300 usd, but it's better to assume 1200 usd. I think my employer
>     would be already happy if such "drone" just make aerial photos that can be
>     used for mapping, I don't think that my company would like to have some 3d
>     data (DEM, DSM).
>
>     Thanks for any hints

>                         Logo  Alejandro Chamizo de Castro
>
>                               Analista SIG
>
>                               +34 653681823 · [hidden email]
>
>                               www.agprecision.es
>

> eco No me imprimas si no es necesario. Protejamos el medio ambiente
>
> View Tony Wilson's profile on LinkedIn      [vizualizem]
> WEB: http://www.gisland.es/

Re: Drones in forestry

Lene Fischer
Hi Piotr,
If your only purpose is to find holes in the forest, you can do it using satellite images with a high resolution. And then digitizing...
Buying a drone is easy - but flying a drone takes time, experience, time, try and error, learning about regulations ect ect...

You can get so much more information from aerial images captured by a drone: Ortophoto, Surfacemodel, PointCloud and if you use special camera - a vegetation index...
From the surface model taken over time, you can calculate growth and canopy cover. From a vegetation index (eg. NVDI you can find unhealthy vegetation). Ect ect..

In September 2016 there was a conference in Krakow http://sigforestry2016.eu just about these topics.

So before you start - you have to consider tree things: Accuracy, area and aim for the project.

As others have written - With a copter you don´t fly larger areas pr. Battery.
With a Phantom 3, on a good day (temp/wind) we fly 15-20 min/battery.
With a fixed wing you can fly 1-2 hours / battery.
Both can be bought within your budget.

Tips for data collection - read this easy page https://www.mapsmadeeasy.com/data_collection
If you want absolute accuracy in 3D  - you need x, y, z Ground Control Points -. If you want relative accuracy you need 2D (x, y) GCP.

For handeling you images into ortophoto, surface model, point cloud, nvdi ect - you can try out a lot of programs. That´s easy - 2-4 weeks free try out. But they all cost a lot of money...
You can try out OpenDroneMap. It run on Linux (Try it on a Virtual Machine) - It´s OpenSource - And you can pay what you can afford. That´s the beauty of Open Source. So remember in your budget to spend some money for the Open Source projects too!

And in the end you can use  QGIS for your data: Point Cloud, Raster Calculator, HillShade, Raster Colorize, Profile tool, LASTool ect.
We use all these at our campus.

Regards

Lene Fischer
Associate Professor

University of Copenhagen
Department of Geoscience and Natural Resource Management
Forest and Landscape College
Nødebovej 77a
3480 Fredensborg
Denmark

DIR +45 35331579
MOB +45 40115084
[hidden email]
www.ign.ku.dk

Re: Drones in forestry

Noli Sicad

I recommend this drone 3DR SOLO with Sony Camera if you have the
budget of USD 2,000 for the drone.

http://www.riseabove.com.au/3dr-solo-mapper-drone-for-mapping

I think I this company is based in Spain.

You can fly this drone to take aerial photos.

30 ha for 21 minutes at 400 ft or 121 meters altitude.

More info on the URL above.

I am in the process of modifying 3DR SOLO to carry 3 action cameras
(not GoPro) for aerial topo mapping and NDVI mapping.

However, you have to buy as well Photo Scan Pro or Pix4D which very
expensive USD 3,000 - USD 4,000 for orthomosaicking especially if you
need DEM.

Multirotor is easy (10x easier) to fly than fixed-wing drone.You need
a training to fly fixed-wing UAV.

Noli

On 12/2/16, Piotr Kania <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm sorry if my question is out of the main topics - my current employer
> would like to buy drone. They would like to use it for "registration"
> such things as (for example) - small areas without trees in dense
> forest, that were cut (it's not a national park, but normal typical
> forest -> so here we have timber harvest etc.); here is link to Google
> Maps, that shows what I mean -
>
> https://goo.gl/maps/iEPchbrTYyQ2
>
> Normally I (or someone else) must walk with gps receiver, then digitize
> that "holes" in qgis. The idea is to use drone for that - and here is my
> question - what would you recommend? - I know the max. acceptable price
> is about 2300 usd, but it's better to assume 1200 usd. I think my
> employer would be already happy if such "drone" just make aerial photos
> that can be used for mapping, I don't think that my company would like
> to have some 3d data (DEM, DSM).
>
> Thanks for any hints

Re: Drones in forestry

cndnflyr
I operate drones in Canada.  I would suggest a Phantom 3 'Professional'.  It will give you a decent range compared to the other versions of the Phantom 3 ('Standard','Advanced', and '4k'), since it uses Lightbridge for it's control link and video feedback.  Since it's 2 generations old you will be able to find them relatively cheaply.  You could use any small drone as long as it's camera is GPS enabled and it's sending the video back to the pilot.  That being said, the Mavic is a much better machine for a good price.  Really small size for what it does and has a better flight time which would be helpful for your case.  But twice the price of a P3Pro.

I envision your workflow to be:
1. Fly the drone around the perimeter of the area you are mapping, taking pictures all the way around.  Use the downward facing camera to ensure you are positioned properly.
2. Use one of QGIS' extensions to import the pictures and create a point file.
3. Transform using the points to polygons and you've got your areas.

Should work well.

Re: Drones in forestry

Noli Sicad

> However, you have to buy as well Photo Scan Pro or Pix4D which very
> expensive USD 3,000 - USD 4,000 for orthomosaicking especially if you
> need DEM.

If you want open source software for aerial photo mosaicking, you can
use ODM. It is not easy to use at the moment.

" OpenDroneMap is an open source toolkit for processing aerial drone
imagery. Typical drones use simple point-and-shoot cameras, so the
images from drones, while from a different perspective, are similar to
any pictures taken from point-and-shoot cameras, i.e. non-metric
imagery. OpenDroneMap turns those simple images into three dimensional
geographic data that can be used in combination with other geographic
datasets"

https://github.com/OpenDroneMap/OpenDroneMap

http://opendronemap.github.io/odm/

Noli

Re: Drones in forestry

Piotr Kania
Hi!

I'd like to thank all of You for the info about drones - probably my
employer will buy Phantom 3 Pro.

Greetings

Piotr Kania