Download Page: Another Question

Rich Shepard
Markus (N.):

   Yesterday you cleared my confusion on the 6.4 stable and RC5 versions. It
was not until now, as I download the latest source per Hamish's suggestion,
that it occurred to me to ask why the RC5 branch is still available for
download.

   I see on the mail list that folks are using it and asking questions that
might be avoided if they migrated from the release candidate to the stable
release. So, why is the RC5 still available for download?

Just curious,

Rich

Re: Download Page: Another Question

Markus Neteler
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Markus (N.):
>
>  Yesterday you cleared my confusion on the 6.4 stable and RC5 versions. It
> was not until now, as I download the latest source per Hamish's suggestion,
> that it occurred to me to ask why the RC5 branch is still available for
> download.

This is easy to answer:
- RC5 is the latest *officially* released package of 6.4.0.
- "latest source snapshots" are inofficially put on the web site since they
  change every week
- SVN release branch is the way to get instant updates

The plan is to package RC6 asap (which is hopefully REALLY the last one
before the final release of 6.4.0).

>  I see on the mail list that folks are using it and asking questions that
> might be avoided if they migrated from the release candidate to the stable
> release. So, why is the RC5 still available for download?

Because it is the latest *officially* released package of 6.4.0.
That's why we urgently need RC6 to make all the fantastic improvements
of the last week available in organized form.
The final stable package should follow shortly (so that we can start the
same business for 6.4.1 :) while new developments are done in 7.

Hope this helps,
Markus

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Markus Neteler wrote:

> This is easy to answer:
> - RC5 is the latest *officially* released package of 6.4.0.

Markus,

   A-ha! That's not immediately obvious to literalists like me.

> The plan is to package RC6 asap (which is hopefully REALLY the last one
> before the final release of 6.4.0).

   When I read on the Web page, "... the current state of the 6.4.x release
branch version (stable)..." I assume that this is the stable release. Guess
it's a matter of terminology.

> Because it is the latest *officially* released package of 6.4.0. That's
> why we urgently need RC6 to make all the fantastic improvements of the
> last week available in organized form. The final stable package should
> follow shortly (so that we can start the same business for 6.4.1 :) while
> new developments are done in 7.

   Well, I'm still confused. If RC5 is the latest "official" release, why not
put all changes in there rather than in 6.4.x stable release branch? This is
now a rhetorical question that does not need an answer on the list. I think
it's a matter of my experience with other applications which colors my
perception of the meanings.

Thanks,

Rich

Re: Download Page: Another Question

Paul Kelly
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  Well, I'm still confused. If RC5 is the latest "official" release, why not
> put all changes in there rather than in 6.4.x stable release branch? This is
> now a rhetorical question that does not need an answer on the list. I think
> it's a matter of my experience with other applications which colors my
> perception of the meanings.

RC5 is not a branch! It's a specific tagged "single instant in time"
snapshot of the 6.4 release branch. Does that help?

Paul