Quantcast

Donations

12

Donations

Paolo Cavallini
Hi all.
The next hackfest is approaching, and it is a pleasure seeing that the flow of small
donations by happy users is increasing. This is much appreciated, as it is allowing
us to support the participation of a number of developers, paving the way for yet
another successful meeting. It is encouraging seeing these signs of appreciation.
Please keep on helping us to help you.
And of course, many thanks to our sponsors.
Please
All the best.

http://qgis.org/en/sponsorship/sponsors.html
http://qgis.org/en/sponsorship/donors.html
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: Donations

berndv.
I'm glad to tell you, that there is a growing interest of small
businesses and even administration offices in getting involved with QGIS.
I already had my second training-course for some biologists last weekend.
My fees are still too low, but nevertheless i am planning to donate a
fixed percentage of each course to the QGIS developers.
QGIS made great steps forward in the last year, and i'm looking forward
to the next versions to come, and i'm happy to be able to make at least
some little financial contributions.

(p.s. please consider investing some of my money into some better
knowlege-management-platform ;)
Mailing-lists may suit nerds, "ordinary" people may regard it as
unreadable crap.
The forum ... sorry ... sucks too. There are more modern and sustainable
ways for exchanging knowledge and provide user interaction than this.
Just my 2 cents, do not wanna insult anyone with this.)

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:58:30 +0200
> From: Paolo Cavallini<[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Qgis-user] Donations
> To: qgis-user<[hidden email]>
>
> Hi all.
> The next hackfest is approaching, and it is a pleasure seeing that the flow of small
> donations by happy users is increasing. This is much appreciated, as it is allowing
> us to support the participation of a number of developers, paving the way for yet
> another successful meeting. It is encouraging seeing these signs of appreciation.
> Please keep on helping us to help you.
> And of course, many thanks to our sponsors.
> Please
> All the best.
>
> http://qgis.org/en/sponsorship/sponsors.html
> http://qgis.org/en/sponsorship/donors.html

Re: Donations

g_sherman

On Mar 27, 2012, at 10:25 AM, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:

> There are more modern and sustainable ways for exchanging knowledge and provide user interaction than this. Just my 2 cents, do not wanna insult anyone with this.)

Such as?

-gary

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Gary Sherman
GeoApt LLC
  http://geoapt.com
Founder, Quantum GIS
Chair, QGIS PSC
Book:
  http://geospatialdesktop.com
"We work virtually everywhere"
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

-gary

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Gary Sherman
GeoApt LLC
 http://geoapt.com
Founder, Quantum GIS
Chair, QGIS PSC
Book:
 http://geospatialdesktop.com
"We work virtually everywhere"
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

RE: Donations

Nathan Woodrow
I think we do ok in this area. We now have a Facebook, Google+, and
Twitter page, there is email and IRC, which are old school but work
well for that reason. We also have a large share of information on
gis.stackexchange.com.

After the hackfest there should be new methods to help build a better
documentation base.

What would you sugest to improve in this area?

On 27/03/2012 20:25, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
> I'm glad to tell you, that there is a growing interest of small businesses and even
> administration offices in getting involved with QGIS.

Good news, I think we all have the same perception and data.

> I already had my second training-course for some biologists last weekend.
> My fees are still too low, but nevertheless i am planning to donate a fixed
> percentage of each course to the QGIS developers.

I also do regularly the same, setting aside some hour of development work for each
course I give. This raises an interesting issue: I would like to make it clear to
participants which of the courses actually contribute back to the well-being of the
project.
What about a "QGIS friendly" label for courses, to be given to courses that give back
a donation, or development hours?
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: Donations

Mick
On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:16:42 +0200
Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What about a "QGIS friendly" label for courses, to be given to courses that give back
> a donation, or development hours?

+1

mick

Re: Donations

xAVI-4
+1

> On 27/03/2012 20:25, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
>> I'm glad to tell you, that there is a growing interest of small
>> businesses and even
>> administration offices in getting involved with QGIS.
>
> Good news, I think we all have the same perception and data.
>
>> I already had my second training-course for some biologists last
>> weekend.
>> My fees are still too low, but nevertheless i am planning to donate a
>> fixed
>> percentage of each course to the QGIS developers.
>
> I also do regularly the same, setting aside some hour of development work
> for each
> course I give. This raises an interesting issue: I would like to make it
> clear to
> participants which of the courses actually contribute back to the
> well-being of the
> project.
> What about a "QGIS friendly" label for courses, to be given to courses
> that give back
> a donation, or development hours?
> All the best.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
> www.faunalia.eu

Re: Donations

macho
Hi!

> What about a "QGIS friendly" label for courses, to be given to courses that give back
> a donation, or development hours?

Very good Idea - but don't you think that we will never hear of courses
that are not so friendly? And - I don't want to sound negative - but
this also opens some doors for miss use.. How would you like to
"control" the friendly courses?
Don't get my wrong - The idea is really good - but I made the experience
that as soon there is a sign for let's say "friendly canned tuna" there
will be a lot of signs looking similar or the same...
But still .. I believe in the good things in human being ..

So nevertheless
+1 from me too

regards
Werner

Re: Donations

Paolo Cavallini
On 28/03/2012 10:35, Werner Macho wrote:

> Very good Idea - but don't you think that we will never hear of courses
> that are not so friendly? And - I don't want to sound negative - but
> this also opens some doors for miss use.. How would you like to
> "control" the friendly courses?

Very simple: open a wiki page, teachers add their courses there, stating what they
will give back. If they will not give what promised, we will note it there.
So everybody will be able to see how good friends QGIS has.

> Don't get my wrong - The idea is really good - but I made the experience
> that as soon there is a sign for let's say "friendly canned tuna" there
> will be a lot of signs looking similar or the same...

No logo on the course itself, but a link to the wiki page, so we keep a check on
what's going on.

All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: Donations -> Knowledge mananagment platform

berndv.
A.S: err ... only replied to Gary directly ... really don't know how to work with mailing lists:

Hi Gary,
hope my non-diplomatic style is not too embarrassing.

Now, the mailing list here seems to be the place for the power users and developers, but how do i retrieve infos from that? i already store all those mails and try to do local text search in my mail client, to find answers. But here, the threads are scattered over several digests, and i can't see a way how to get a grip on that in more structured way.

The forum seems to be mainly used by novice users, who get answers by a handful of advanced people.
The default forum settings are set that you won't get an email notification when someone is answering, so a huge amount of threads die, because the thread-initiators and participants don't get aware that there is something going on. I already asked to change that, but to no avail so far.
Then, there are only 3 really useful categories (from the users point of view):

Help on using QGIS
Build and Install questions
Share Tips, Tricks and Ideas

Here most of the communication is done in the first.
It's very hard to find threads about a special problem, cause all the topics are just stuffed into one big bucket and novice users often lack the terminology to do successful full-text search to find answers.
Solved problems are mostly not marked as such, so you have to do a lot of reading and searching which ends up very often with no results.

Then there is this wiki(http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/How_do_I_do_that_in_QGIS), which is in a concurrence to the "Share Tips, Tricks and Ideas" and it seems that there is not a lot going on too.
(besides, writing an article and writing an article in a wiki where you need just another account are two different things and which rejects a lot of people)

What i propose is a platform with a single login, which combines all those functions of the forum, mailing lists and wikis.
Posts of any kind should be able to be tagged with an activly developed hierachical taxonomy for easier retrieval and interconnection of different types of content.

Especially the enormous modularity of QGIS with all its plugins needs a better and more structured way of getting informations of what this and that modules does, what which setting means, what bugs people found, how they found workarounds etc. All this could be accessible just by one taxonomy term with the name of the modul for example, spiced up with sorting for popularity, ratings or whatever.

There should also be a group system for different audiences, projects, interests, languages (not everyone is a fluent english reader or writer) so people are able to pick the stuff that suits them and subscribe to certain groups, taxonomy terms, projects, events, working fields etc. and get notified in a structured way when something of their interest had occured.

The easier the access to already produced knowledge, the more likely it will be that some people take the effort and collect the bits for own articles, tutorials, working examples etc.

I never managed to build sth that i propose myself so far, but i invest quite a time investigating "better" ways to connect communities and generate and preserve knowledge.
By doing so, i stumbled upon drupal some years ago, where i see a lot of tools (nearly too many) to build sth that would provide all means to develope a communication and knowledge management strategy.
There maybe other platforms, but drupal is the only one i know enough about to be sure that it could solve a lot of issues with a modest investment in time and infrastructure.

Thanks for your time
Bernd

--
Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf * +49-9133-825374

Re: Donations -> Knowledge mananagment platform

Anita Graser
Hi Bernd,

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback.

As a QGIS forum moderator, I've had some discussions about the forums with some of the QGIS developers. As you might know, developers don't frequent the forums. The feedback I got was that they prefer the mailing lists and I can't blame them. Forums are a pretty outdated technology in my eyes.

I'm also on gis.stackexchange. Their technology solves a lot of the issues classic forums have. You can tag questions and it's easy to spot which question has been answered and what the answer is. So maybe we could have a QGIS stackexchange site and close the forums? OSM has a stackexchange site for example.

We could also close the forums and tell everyone to use gis.stackexchange instead. That would reduce maintenance necessary on our side. It would also increase visibility of QGIS in the eyes of ESRI folks if more QGIS questions pop up on stackexchange.

Personally, I would welcome shutting down the forums since it would free me of the repetitive work of deleting dozens of spam threads every day.

Regards,

Anita

--
Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf * <a href="tel:%2B49-9133-825374" value="+499133825374" target="_blank">+49-9133-825374

On 28/03/2012 13:36, Nathan Woodrow wrote:

>     Personally, I would welcome shutting down the forums since it would free me of
>     the repetitive work of deleting dozens of spam threads every day.
>

> +1

+1
I think it may be frustrating for users being attracted to forum, and not receiving a
response there. Better redirect them to the more active medium.
Also, I think information is getting increasingly fragmented among all media, some of
them closed (linkedin, facebook), and this, even if increases our web presence, is
not very good.
All the best.

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also, I think information is getting increasingly fragmented among all media, some of them closed (linkedin, facebook), and this, even if increases our web presence, is not very good.

I will have to disagree with this, currently there isn't any information on the other sites that isn't from a known QGIS source (expect maybe linkedin although that is mostly discussion).

I think it is very important to maintain a online presence on all these sites in order to communicate with the users of our software in the way they feel most comfortable. I'm not saying that we should copy the wiki content on to facebook, more that we use it as a PR tool in order to drive people to the correct resources, be it blogs, qgis wiki, code etc.

If something comes up from the discussion on one of these sites that should be documented on a offical qgis resource page.  In my mind the quickest way to turn users off is to force them into a certain means of communication.  If you want to chat on IRC, come on and talk; want to chat on Facebook, go right ahead, spread the QGIS word; if you <3 LinkedIn, use that.    In the end there are a few of us that watch each site to monitor what is going on and I think, IMHO, it is going really well.

- Nathan

Re: Donations -> Knowledge mananagment platform

Andreas Neumann
 +1 for shutting down the forums in favour of mailing lists and
 stackexchange and potentially social media (if someone maintains that
 stuff).

 Andreas

 On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:30:48 +0200, Anita Graser wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> There maybe other platforms, but drupal is the only one i know
>> enough about to be sure that it could solve a lot of issues with a
>> modest investment in time and infrastructure.
>>
>> Thanks for your time
>> Bernd

>> knowledge and

>>> Such as?
>>>
>>> -gary
>>>
>>> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>> Gary Sherman
>>> GeoApt LLC
>>> http://geoapt.com [3]
>>> Founder, Quantum GIS
>> > Chair, QGIS PSC
>>> Book:
>>> http://geospatialdesktop.com [4]
>>> "We work virtually everywhere"
>>> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>> >

>> --
>> Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf *

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)
 Switzerland

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:
 (if someone maintains that stuff).

Currently Anita and I maintain the Facebook and Google+ pages.  I watch and use both sites a lot, as in they are almost never closed :)

- Nathan

Re: Donations -> Knowledge mananagment platform

Zirneklitis
+1

Andreas Neumann wrote:
> +1 for shutting down the forums in favour of mailing lists..

Re: Donations -> Knowledge mananagment platform

Jonathan Moules-2
Each medium has its own advantages and disadvantages, however between the lot of them there is one core problem - the information is scattered and fragmented between half a dozen places; you don't end up with a codex of knowledge which everyone can reference which is what I think others were trying to say.
I think it's great that users have the choices of forums/stackoverflow, mailing lists, various social media sites, IRC, etc, but what if they want to actually find a piece of information from all of those rather than ask the same question for the nth time? You've got to use a whole bunch of search engines, most of which aren't any good.

I'm not really sure if there's a easy solution to this, though I'm kind of inclined towards a wiki that can act as a central codex. I know there is already a wiki, but it's a horrid mess that isn't structured like any other wiki I've ever seen and 99% of the stuff on there looks like its for developers anyway. It's also not good at handling multi-lingual stuff (I end up coming across random articles in other languages rather than everything in one language).

Also, now that I look at it, the www.qgis.orgweb-site only really has clear links to the forums and the "chat". It may be an idea to have a very clear "need help with QGIS? Contact us via" and then a big list with links on the front page, right below the nice big "Download" button. It really depends on what audience you're targeting though.

Jonathan

From:        Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email]
Cc:        [hidden email]
Date:        28/03/2012 13:16
Subject:        Re: [Qgis-user] Re: Donations -> Knowledge mananagment platform
Sent by:        [hidden email]

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini@...> wrote:
[...]

Qgis-user mailing list

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us, including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

On Mar 28, 2012, at 3:30 AM, Anita Graser wrote:

> I'm also on gis.stackexchange. Their technology solves a lot of the issues classic forums have. You can tag questions and it's easy to spot which question has been answered and what the answer is. So maybe we could have a QGIS stackexchange site and close the forums? OSM has a stackexchange site for example.
>
> We could also close the forums and tell everyone to use gis.stackexchange instead. That would reduce maintenance necessary on our side. It would also increase visibility of QGIS in the eyes of ESRI folks if more QGIS questions pop up on stackexchange.
>
> Personally, I would welcome shutting down the forums since it would free me of the repetitive work of deleting dozens of spam threads every day.
>
> Regards,

In the past there has been user outcry regarding shutdown of the forums.

Unless I hear otherwise, I will mark the forums read-only and disable new logins. A banner/sticky post will be added directing people to gis.stackexchange. We can talk about creating our own site using OSQA [1], but I wonder if it is better to redirect people to the "real" stackexchange.

No matter what route we choose, someone will not be happy.

-gary

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Gary Sherman
GeoApt LLC
  http://geoapt.com
Founder, Quantum GIS
Chair, QGIS PSC
Book:
  http://geospatialdesktop.com
"We work virtually everywhere"
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

-gary

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Gary Sherman
GeoApt LLC
 http://geoapt.com
Founder, Quantum GIS
Chair, QGIS PSC
Book:
 http://geospatialdesktop.com
"We work virtually everywhere"
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Re: Donations -> Knowledge mananagment platform

Alister Hood
> Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:00:33 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] Re: Donations -> Knowledge mananagment
> platform
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: [hidden email]

> Each medium has its own advantages and disadvantages, however between the
> lot of them there is one core problem - the information is scattered and
> fragmented between half a dozen places; you don't end up with a codex of
> knowledge which everyone can reference which is what I think others were
> trying to say.
> I think it's great that users have the choices of forums/stackoverflow,
> mailing lists, various social media sites, IRC, etc, but what if they want
> to actually find a piece of information from all of those rather than ask
> the same question for the nth time? You've got to use a whole bunch of
> search engines, most of which aren't any good.
>
> I'm not really sure if there's a easy solution to this, though I'm kind of
> inclined towards a wiki that can act as a central codex. I know there is
> already a wiki, but it's a horrid mess that isn't structured like any
> other wiki I've ever seen and 99% of the stuff on there looks like its for
> developers anyway. It's also not good at handling multi-lingual stuff (I
> end up coming across random articles in other languages rather than
> everything in one language).
>
> Also, now that I look at it, the www.qgis.org web-site only really has
> clear links to the forums and the "chat". It may be an idea to have a very
> clear "need help with QGIS? Contact us via" and then a big list with links
> on the front page, right below the nice big "Download" button. It really
> depends on what audience you're targeting though.
>
> Jonathan

There was another discussion relating to this on the Community list in January.
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-community-team/2012-January/001870.html
To start with I was going to work on revamping the main wiki page(s).  Unfortunately I haven't got around to it yet (I've been in hospital and all sorts of things), but I'd like to get it sorted in the next week or so.

Regards,
Alister

12