Does GeoNetwork use InfoSet and Fast Infoset?

Does GeoNetwork use InfoSet and Fast Infoset?

John.Hockaday
Hi All,

I have noticed that distributed searches often take a long time to return
information to GeoNetwork.  Is this possibly due to the processing of the XML
or is it likely to be the bandwidth?  If it is the former then maybe
GeoNetwork would benefit from using Fast Infoset if it doesn't already do so.

I would expect that the XML sent to the servers would be small and therefore
wouldn't benefit from using Fast Infoset but the XML information that is
returned from the servers could be quite large.  If this is the case then
maybe requesting Fast Infoset from the servers may expedite the returned
response, reduce bandwidth and make the processing on the client faster (if
the client can process Fast Infoset).

I haven't investigated the benefits of using Fast Infoset for typical
GeoNetwork processes but maybe it could be a consideration if GeoNetwork
doesn't already use it.

It would certainly be useful if GeoNetwork processes information from WFS
where the returned XML is likely to be huge.

Just a thought of mine to share with you.

Thanks.

John

Re: Does GeoNetwork use InfoSet and Fast Infoset?

Jeroen Ticheler-3
Hi John,
Thanks for the interesting idea. I have added it to my GN 3 planning
list as something that could be investigated further. I understand
the main benefit is there where XML is to be send between a server
and a client!? This could for instance be relevant in harvesting
services or as you mention distributed searches.
If you referred to distributed searches through Z39.50 I think the
time delay is mainly caused by the waiting time for remote servers to
respond, hence the time out option.
Ciao,
Jeroen

On Oct 12, 2006, at 3:40 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have noticed that distributed searches often take a long time to
> return
> information to GeoNetwork.  Is this possibly due to the processing
> of the XML
> or is it likely to be the bandwidth?  If it is the former then maybe
> GeoNetwork would benefit from using Fast Infoset if it doesn't
> already do so.
>
> I would expect that the XML sent to the servers would be small and
> therefore
> wouldn't benefit from using Fast Infoset but the XML information
> that is
> returned from the servers could be quite large.  If this is the
> case then
> maybe requesting Fast Infoset from the servers may expedite the
> returned
> response, reduce bandwidth and make the processing on the client
> faster (if
> the client can process Fast Infoset).
>
> I haven't investigated the benefits of using Fast Infoset for typical
> GeoNetwork processes but maybe it could be a consideration if
> GeoNetwork
> doesn't already use it.
>
> It would certainly be useful if GeoNetwork processes information
> from WFS
> where the returned XML is likely to be huge.
>
> Just a thought of mine to share with you.
>
> Thanks.
>

> John

> ---
> security?
> job easier
> Geronimo
> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?
> cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
> projects/geonetwork

Re: Does GeoNetwork use InfoSet and Fast Infoset?

John.Hockaday
Hi Jeroen,

The other area where Fast Infoset is useful is for processing large XML
documents.

Thanks.

John