Do we need a warning for the Set Layer CRS button?

Do we need a warning for the Set Layer CRS button?

Anita Graser
Hi,

New users regularly mess up their layer CRS because they do not realize what the Set Layer CRS button really does and that it cannot be used to reproject data. (For example see http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/173490/how-to-make-two-layers-with-different-crs-line-up-correctly but there are many more examples all the time.)

Maybe we should make it a bit easier for newbies and point them in the right direction with an info/warning on the Set Layer CRS button. Something like "Are you sure that you want to change the layer CRS? This does NOT reproject the geometries!"? With a "I understand what I'm doing, leave me alone!" checkbox.

What do you think?

Best wishes,
Anita

Re: Do we need a warning for the Set Layer CRS button?

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 13-12-15 15:03, Anita Graser wrote:

> Hi,
>
> New users regularly mess up their layer CRS because they do not realize
> what the Set Layer CRS button really does and that it cannot be used to
> reproject data. (For example
> see http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/173490/how-to-make-two-layers-with-different-crs-line-up-correctly
> but there are many more examples all the time.)
>
> Maybe we should make it a bit easier for newbies and point them in the
> right direction with an info/warning on the Set Layer CRS
> button. Something like "Are you sure that you want to change the layer
> CRS? This does NOT reproject the geometries!"? With a "I understand what
> I'm doing, leave me alone!" checkbox.

mmm, not in favour of that, but I recognize the problem.

Another option maybe, some rewording like:

'Original Data CRS'
'Data CRS'
'CRS of Data'
'original CRS of Data'

or so?

because I think the crux is that it is the crs that the DATA is in
originally.

Regards,

Richard

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13-12-15 15:03, Anita Graser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> New users regularly mess up their layer CRS because they do not realize
> what the Set Layer CRS button really does and that it cannot be used to
> reproject data. (For example
> see http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/173490/how-to-make-two-layers-with-different-crs-line-up-correctly
> but there are many more examples all the time.)
>
> Maybe we should make it a bit easier for newbies and point them in the
> right direction with an info/warning on the Set Layer CRS
> button. Something like "Are you sure that you want to change the layer
> CRS? This does NOT reproject the geometries!"? With a "I understand what
> I'm doing, leave me alone!" checkbox.

mmm, not in favour of that, but I recognize the problem.

Another option maybe, some rewording like:

'Original Data CRS'
'Data CRS'
'CRS of Data'
'original CRS of Data'

or so?

because I think the crux is that it is the crs that the DATA is in
originally.

​Thanks a lot Richard!

​I've had a closer look at the layer properties dialog (see ​https://www.dropbox.com/s/llx8ffgt24mq43u/Screenshot%202015-12-13%2020.20.17.png?dl=0​).

The section is just called "coordinate reference system" and then it shows the currently configured CRS and a "Select CRS" button next to it. No explanation. Maybe a simple label, along the lines of what Richard suggested could improve the situation:

'CRS of the layer data'
'Input layer data CRS'

Additionally, in the layer list context menu, we have a "Set Layer CRS" entry. Do we really need a shortcut in the context menu to this functionality? How often is this really used? Ideally, it's used at most once when setting up the project and never again. I'm feeling like it should be removed.

What do you think?

Best wishes,
Anita

Re: Do we need a warning for the Set Layer CRS button?

berndv.
Hi,
I would not try to be smart and try to solve it be rewording only. No matter what you name it, newbies will stumble into the traps nevertheless. Be kind, and put some huge warning to those known traps. I think a lot newbies will be thankful.
And I will also have the reminder when teaching people what and why they have to be careful about certain things, which I and you  already do automatically.

Isn't QGIS the most user friendly GIS? ;) It should at least not be about pros's inconveniences when they have to check a box once and for all to be not warned again.

Cheers
Bernd

--
Bernd Vogelgesang
Siedlerstraße 2

Re: Do we need a warning for the Set Layer CRS button?

Richard Duivenvoorde

Hi,

Generally agree, but also looking from the technical side here: being
friendly this way also means introducing another dialog and some flag to
remember that this user ticked "yes I know" etc.
Besides, having all those friendly messages and warnings is rather
obtrusive to me.

And I still think current wording is plain wrong: we do not mean that
you 'set the Layer crs', what we really mean is 'please tell us the crs
of the data, so in case of OTF we are able te reproject your data from
that crs to the project crs'  .... or something like that :-)

@Anita: about removing it from context menu. I think we should write
down some clear HIG(?) guidelines about what to put in context menu and
what not.
My first idea here was: as yours: you probably do this once, so yes
please remove. But then I looked at other items, and most of them you
only do once (renaming, setting style etc). So IF the rule would be
"remove everything that you can do in property dialog" these would be
candidate for removal too... which I do not think is okay...
So: I'm okay with removing it, but in our HIG we should create good
arguments for putting stuff in context. Like: "IF you want to do
something on the LAYER in your project you can put it in context menu"
(as in our case we actually are changing a setting of our data, so...
this could be removed )

Anyway: it's good that we are discussing these things!

Regards,

Richard

[0] HIG: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_interface_guidelines