Detecting new lat, lon coordinates from a initial point with an angle and length

Detecting new lat, lon coordinates from a initial point with an angle and length

shiva
Hello,

Thanks in advance

I have a lat, lon coordinate with a known projection system I assume it a initial point. I want to generate a next Position with the an angle with  (horizontal/vertical)  and bearing length  in lat,lon  coordinates and complete it with angles and bearing lengths to form a polygon

Any Help in the above context is highly appreciated

Re: Detecting new lat, lon coordinates from a initial point with an angle and length

support.mn
Hello,

well, that is exactly what the proj.4 is created for .. you just
read all the documentation etc. and you should be able
to do it!

http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/

There is no short cut ... except if you find some
open source code somewhere in the net ... which you
anyway have to usually modify.

Best luck! Janne.

SIVA RAMA KRISHNA [[hidden email]] kirjoitti:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> I have a *lat, lon* coordinate with a known projection system I assume it a
> initial point. I want to generate a next Position with the an *angle* with
> (horizontal/vertical)  and *bearing length*  in lat,lon  coordinates and
> complete it with angles and bearing lengths to form a polygon
>

> Any Help in the above context is highly appreciated

Re: Detecting new lat, lon coordinates from a initial point with an angle and length

Markus Neteler
On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> well, that is exactly what the proj.4 is created for .. you just
> read all the documentation etc. and you should be able
> to do it!
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/
>
> There is no short cut ... except if you find some
> open source code somewhere in the net ... which you
> anyway have to usually modify.

Here is a candidate:

GRASS GIS m.cogo - A simple utility for converting bearing and distance
measurements to coordinates and vice versa.It assumes a cartesian
coordinate system
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/m.cogo.html

It is PROJ.4 based of course...

regards,
Markus

Re: Detecting new lat, lon coordinates from a initial point with an angle and length

Charles Wilson
On 12/16/2013 7:23 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> well, that is exactly what the proj.4 is created for .. you just
>> read all the documentation etc. and you should be able
>> to do it!
>>
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/
>>
>> There is no short cut ... except if you find some
>> open source code somewhere in the net ... which you
>> anyway have to usually modify.
> Here is a candidate:
>
> GRASS GIS m.cogo - A simple utility for converting bearing and distance
> measurements to coordinates and vice versa.It assumes a cartesian
> coordinate system
> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/m.cogo.html
>
> It is PROJ.4 based of course...

And here is another one:

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/TOOLS/Inv_Fwd/Inv_Fwd.html
http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PC_PROD/Inv_Fwd/

which implements the Vincenty algorithm (you want the "forward"
version). It's in Fortran IIRC, and does not have any special handling
for nearly antipodal points (so gives incorrect results for those cases).

--
Chuck

Re: Detecting new lat, lon coordinates from a initial point with an angle and length

Norman Vine

On Dec 16, 2013, at 9:04 AM, Charles Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Proj includes the geod command line utilities for this

You might need to use the proj utility to get your coordinates into a form that geod wants

Geographiclib also has standalone and web tools todo this

HTH

Norman

Re: Detecting new lat, lon coordinates from a initial point with an angle and length

Charles Karney
On 2013-12-16 09:16, Norman Vine wrote:

> Proj includes the geod command line utilities for this
> http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki/man_geod
>
> You might need to use the proj utility to get your coordinates into a
> form that geod wants
> http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki/man_proj
>
> Geographiclib also has standalone and web tools todo this
> http://geographiclib.sourceforge.net/

Proj 4.9.0 will use improved algorithms for geodesics (the same as those
in GeographicLib) and will expose an API for these calculations.  See

   http://geographiclib.sf.net/html/C/geodesic_8h.html

for documentation.  A beta release of this version of Proj.4 is
available at

   http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.0b2.tar.gz

Re: Detecting new lat, lon coordinates from a initial point with an angle and length

Finn, Michael
Thanks for this post!