Design suggestions for Interactive map!

robertdbuckley
Hi,

I need some ideas on how to start a project using openlayers. The project entails a simple map which shows points. Each point has certain attributes (strings/integers)which correspond to locations in a town. My department would like a map which shows the individual attributes and the sum totals of the integer field listed in the attribute table beside the map when they are present in the map(ie BBOX strategy) or through a selection process(combo control?).

eg. select town A from the comboBox -> the map zooms to the town bounds -> the statistics from the points present in that town are displayed in tabular form beside the map.

Is this kind of thing do-able in an interactive way using postgis and geoserver, or should I be looked at static json lists?

How /where should I start looking?

If anyone has done similar work or has seen such maps i´d be grateful to see them,

Yours,

Rob

Yours with thanks, Robert Buckley System: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Server / Tomcat6 / Geoserver 2.1.2 / GeoWebCache 1.2.6)

Re: Design suggestions for Interactive map!

alexander-petkov
Since the combobox select will change the bounding box for the map,
it's probably enough to monitor the current map extent changes as the
event-based criteria for generating your stats. You can use Ajax call
that sends the current map extent, do totals and to get json records
(definitely not static), and then update your table.

Your requirements sound reasonable and very much doable.

Alex

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Robert Buckley
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I need some ideas on how to start a project using openlayers. The project
> entails a simple map which shows points. Each point has certain attributes
> (strings/integers)which correspond to locations in a town. My department
> would like a map which shows the individual attributes and the sum totals of
> the integer field listed in the attribute table beside the map when they are
> present in the map(ie BBOX strategy) or through a selection process(combo
> control?).
> eg. select town A from the comboBox -> the map zooms to the town bounds ->
> the statistics from the points present in that town are displayed in tabular
> form beside the map.
> Is this kind of thing do-able in an interactive way using postgis and
> geoserver, or should I be looked at static json lists?
> How /where should I start looking?
> If anyone has done similar work or has seen such maps i´d be grateful to see
> them,
> Yours,
> Rob

Re: Design suggestions for Interactive map!

Brent Fraser
Rob,

  GeoMoose (http://www.geomoose.org/) is an OpenLayers based project that supplies a complete (+/-) GUI, including a "Jump To" combobox and a tabbed set of panels for displaying information.  You may be able to get some ideas from it...
Best Regards,
Brent Fraser

On 7/12/2011 7:07 AM, Robert Buckley wrote:
[...]

AW: [OpenLayers-Users] Design suggestions for Interactive map!

robertdbuckley
Hi,

Thanks for the geoMoose suggestion. Has anyone actually used it or is able to show any other examples apart from the one demo project on the website?

cheers,

Rob

Yours with thanks, Robert Buckley System: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Server / Tomcat6 / Geoserver 2.1.2 / GeoWebCache 1.2.6)

Re: AW: [OpenLayers-Users] Design suggestions for Interactive map!

Brent Fraser
Yep.  Have a look at the site's Gallery, or ask for examples on the GeoMoose mailing list.
Best Regards,
Brent Fraser

On 7/12/2011 12:52 PM, Robert Buckley wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the geoMoose suggestion. Has anyone actually used it or is able to show any other examples apart from the one demo project on the website?

cheers,

Rob

Re: AW: [OpenLayers-Users] Design suggestions for Interactive map!

Daniel Porter
Having never used GeoServer, here is the approach I am inclined to suggest:

Configure geoserver to act as a WFS (Web Feature Service), and have it
serve up the features in your BBOX on each map move.  Then in
OpenLayers, clear your vector layer, add the newly served up points,
and then loop through those points and sum up the value you need.

If you're dealing more vectors than OpenLayers can handle (I found
performance to degrade pretty badly over ~200 point objects in FF
3.6), you can render them all as raster, and then in a separate
request query PostGIS (sum(value_to_be_summed) where
st_contains(map_bbox, my_point)) and return that to the browser.  You
could display data for individual attributes in much the same way.

Thanks,

Daniel