Degree vs GeoTools API

Frans Thamura-3
hi all

anyone can share the difference between Deegree vs GeoTools API

thx

--
Frans Thamura
Meruvian.

Meruvian jTechnopreneur Program (S1) telah hadir, Dapatkan benefit
bagi SMK yang melakukan mapping SKKD, dg program beasiswa dari
Gunadarma

Mobile: +6287885901958
Blog & Profile: http://frans.thamura.info

We provide services to migrate your apps to Java (web), in amazing
fast and reliable.

Re: Degree vs GeoTools API

Ian Turton
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:30 AM, Frans Thamura <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi all
>
> anyone can share the difference between Deegree vs GeoTools API

Deegree is a WMS/WFS/WCS(?) server and GeoTools is a Java library for
building geospatial apps.

Ian
--
Ian Turton

RE: Degree vs GeoTools API

Landon Blake
Frans,

I will try to provide an intelligent answer to your question based on my
own experience.

Here is my observation of the main difference between Deegree and
Geotools:

Degree seems to be a more closely knit group of developers, coming from
just a couple of organizations, while Geotools draws developers from all
over the place.

This has some different implications for users of the libraries and for
developers.

I find the Deegree API is often easier to use but not as well
documented. The Geotools API is better documented but much more
complicated. I think this extra complication in Geotools stems from its
efforts to please such a diverse group.

I have contributed a single "unsupported" module to Geotools. This
process wasn't too burdensome, and I found a couple of the programmers
in Geotools were a delight to work with. I also learned a lot from my
very limited work on Geotools. I typically work on code that plugs into
a single program, and participation in Geotools requires you to write
code that can be used in all sorts of programs. You need a different
type of thinking to do that.

The programmers from Deegree were also very responsive on their mailing
list.

Deegree uses a feature model somewhat similar to JUMP's. I find the
Geotools feature model is very hard to learn and work with.

I hope that helps.

Landon
Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658

Re: Degree vs GeoTools API

Frans Thamura-3
thx for the nice reply .

i have work with our goverment spatial division, teaching java, and
they are 100% blank in development, this is a transformation program
from a division to create map become a services entity ->
www.bakosutranal.go.id

i am also teaching highschool develop apps on Java, and we success
create web java programmer in architectural mode, and they will get
schoolarship to university, mostly they are poor and smart, and
several dont have computer, and several never visit Jakarta (they
families never visit Jakarta)..

my idea to help them to the level that they can provide solution.

Landon, ur reply sound that using Geotools API will harder for them?
is that right?

i am still working for both to find the best one

hope my reply can link our problem. we have human resource and bad
education program in this country, so may be our student different
with people outside this country

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 1:52 AM, Landon Blake <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Frans,
>
> I will try to provide an intelligent answer to your question based on my
> own experience.
>
> Here is my observation of the main difference between Deegree and
> Geotools:
>
> Degree seems to be a more closely knit group of developers, coming from
> just a couple of organizations, while Geotools draws developers from all
> over the place.
>
> This has some different implications for users of the libraries and for
> developers.
>
> I find the Deegree API is often easier to use but not as well
> documented. The Geotools API is better documented but much more
> complicated. I think this extra complication in Geotools stems from its
> efforts to please such a diverse group.
>
> I have contributed a single "unsupported" module to Geotools. This
> process wasn't too burdensome, and I found a couple of the programmers
> in Geotools were a delight to work with. I also learned a lot from my
> very limited work on Geotools. I typically work on code that plugs into
> a single program, and participation in Geotools requires you to write
> code that can be used in all sorts of programs. You need a different
> type of thinking to do that.
>
> The programmers from Deegree were also very responsive on their mailing
> list.
>
> Deegree uses a feature model somewhat similar to JUMP's. I find the
> Geotools feature model is very hard to learn and work with.
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Landon
> Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
> Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658

Re: Degree vs GeoTools API

mentaer
Hei Frans,

could you outline in more detail what you are aiming to do?
I.e. what the students (after training) and the software (to be
programmed) should be able to do?
If it is about web mapping then you may consider a whole different range
of FOSS4GIS.

stefan

Frans Thamura wrote:

> thx for the nice reply .
>

> i have work with our goverment spatial division, teaching java, and
> they are 100% blank in development, this is a transformation program
> from a division to create map become a services entity ->
> www.bakosutranal.go.id
>
> i am also teaching highschool develop apps on Java, and we success
> create web java programmer in architectural mode, and they will get
> schoolarship to university, mostly they are poor and smart, and
> several dont have computer, and several never visit Jakarta (they
> families never visit Jakarta)..
>
> my idea to help them to the level that they can provide solution.
>
> Landon, ur reply sound that using Geotools API will harder for them?
> is that right?
>
> i am still working for both to find the best one
>

> hope my reply can link our problem. we have human resource and bad
> education program in this country, so may be our student different
> with people outside this country

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 1:52 AM, Landon Blake <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Frans,
>>
>> I will try to provide an intelligent answer to your question based on my
>> own experience.
>>
>> Here is my observation of the main difference between Deegree and
>> Geotools:
>>
>> Degree seems to be a more closely knit group of developers, coming from
>> just a couple of organizations, while Geotools draws developers from all
>> over the place.
>>
>> This has some different implications for users of the libraries and for
>> developers.
>>
>> I find the Deegree API is often easier to use but not as well
>> documented. The Geotools API is better documented but much more
>> complicated. I think this extra complication in Geotools stems from its
>> efforts to please such a diverse group.
>>
>> I have contributed a single "unsupported" module to Geotools. This
>> process wasn't too burdensome, and I found a couple of the programmers
>> in Geotools were a delight to work with. I also learned a lot from my
>> very limited work on Geotools. I typically work on code that plugs into
>> a single program, and participation in Geotools requires you to write
>> code that can be used in all sorts of programs. You need a different
>> type of thinking to do that.
>>
>> The programmers from Deegree were also very responsive on their mailing
>> list.
>>
>> Deegree uses a feature model somewhat similar to JUMP's. I find the
>> Geotools feature model is very hard to learn and work with.
>>
>> I hope that helps.
>>
>> Landon
>> Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
>> Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658

i still have a gap in my mind about how to make a program for both :0

i will play around with both first, and will reply shortly

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 6:49 AM, Stefan Steiniger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> documented. The Geotools API is better documented but much more
>>> complicated. I think this extra complication in Geotools stems from its
>>> efforts to please such a diverse group.
>>>
>>> I have contributed a single "unsupported" module to Geotools. This
>>> process wasn't too burdensome, and I found a couple of the programmers
>>> in Geotools were a delight to work with. I also learned a lot from my
>>> very limited work on Geotools. I typically work on code that plugs into
>>> a single program, and participation in Geotools requires you to write
>>> code that can be used in all sorts of programs. You need a different
>>> type of thinking to do that.
>>>
>>> The programmers from Deegree were also very responsive on their mailing
>>> list.
>>>
>>> Deegree uses a feature model somewhat similar to JUMP's. I find the
>>> Geotools feature model is very hard to learn and work with.

Re: deegree vs GeoTools API

mays

Re: deegree vs GeoTools API

mays

Hello Frans,

you are always welcome to ask any deegree specific questions on one of
our mailing lists. There is one for users[1] and one for developers[2].

We would be very interested to hear about your plans.

Kind regards,
Judit Mays

Frans Thamura schrieb:

> i still have a gap in my mind about how to make a program for both :0
>
> i will play around with both first, and will reply shortly

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 6:49 AM, Stefan Steiniger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hei Frans,
>>
>> could you outline in more detail what you are aiming to do?
>> I.e. what the students (after training) and the software (to be programmed)
>> should be able to do?
>> If it is about web mapping then you may consider a whole different range of
>> FOSS4GIS.
>>
>> stefan
>>
>> Frans Thamura wrote:
>>> thx for the nice reply .
>>>

>>> i have work with our goverment spatial division, teaching java, and
>>> they are 100% blank in development, this is a transformation program
>>> from a division to create map become a services entity ->
>>> www.bakosutranal.go.id
>>>
>>> i am also teaching highschool develop apps on Java, and we success
>>> create web java programmer in architectural mode, and they will get
>>> schoolarship to university, mostly they are poor and smart, and
>>> several dont have computer, and several never visit Jakarta (they
>>> families never visit Jakarta)..
>>>
>>> my idea to help them to the level that they can provide solution.
>>>
>>> Landon, ur reply sound that using Geotools API will harder for them?
>>> is that right?
>>>
>>> i am still working for both to find the best one
>>>

>>> hope my reply can link our problem. we have human resource and bad
>>> education program in this country, so may be our student different
>>> with people outside this country

Re: Degree vs GeoTools API

jody.garnett
We have also trying to set up some collaborations between the projects (but such unfunded work is of course very hard to set up).

Have a look at the GeoTools documentation; and if you have any questions the user list is open for action.
- http://geotools.org/documentation.html
- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTDOC/Home

You may also find the formal workbooks used for FOSS4G to be of interest:
- http://geotoolsnews.blogspot.com/2009/11/foss4g-geotools-tutorials.html

From my standpoint both projects have an LGPL license, slightly different development models and tend to really like their standards.

Jody