Decision of Bangkok Team for proposal for FOSS4G 2018

Decision of Bangkok Team for proposal for FOSS4G 2018

nitin kumar tripathi
Decision of Bangkok Team for Proposal in 2nd Stage
Dear Members of the OSGeo Conference Committee,

We have received the outcome of voting for the first stage of candidates for hosting FOSS4G 2018. We are happy that we are among the first two out of three countries which proposed. Thanks Steven to ask us to submit proposal for the second stage.

We were charged up to host a vibrant conference but the situation has changed since the submission of letter of intent and we have decided to
withdraw from the race. The reasons are:

a) There is a sudden change in the situation in Thailand due to the sad demise of our very popular longest serving King Rama IX in Mid October. The whole nation is mourning and it is very difficult to get support letters for government, industry and academia in Thailand.
b) Government has declared 1 year of mourning and this calls for no festivity and low scale of any event.
c) We need some letters of support and sponsorship to include in the proposal, which is unlikely as we can not approach any organisation in the current situation.
d) Also, we feel that the Tanzania Team, which has 100,000 USD support from the World Bank, has a rock solid foundation to organise.  I think due to this fact they have also got overwhelming support of 10 members compared to our 3. It makes us feel that we are way behind in race. So we wish them best of luck.

I humbly appeal to the OSGeo Conference Committee not to disclose the number of votes at *any* stage, for all future votes. The CRO should not share the voting results with anyone, not anyone on the OSGeo Conference Committee or shared in public, ever.  It discourages other teams to try their best in the Stage 2 to put up a strong proposal - the goal is to grow passion, not hinder passion. For example, in this vote, there was no need to share the fact that such a vibrant community like Lima received only 1 vote (this hurts the flame trying to burn in the Peru local community, and also the result can affect future votes as OSGeo Conference Committee members could remember such a result next time). Also potential sponsors may get some inkling and may back-out sensing the impending lack of support in the local committee for the proposal.
The Bangkok Team conveys its' thanks to all those who have voted for its letter of intent and promises that we will be back with a better proposal for 2021.

With best wishes for FOSS4G 2018.

Dr. Nitin Kumar Tripathi
Professor and Director-Special Degree Program
School of Engineering and Technology
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Geoinformatics
Asian Institute of Technology
P.O. Box:4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120, Thailand,
Phone: +66-886021115 (Mobile), +66-2-524 6392 (Office)
Research Pages:

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you to all of the committee members for your stage 1 votes.

I confirm that Dar es Salaam and Bangkok received the necessary votes to proceed to submit a full proposal in accord with the RfP process and timeline

Our thanks to the Lima team for your Letter of Intent. I hope that you will continue to build FOSS4G in South America and that you will be back proposing FOSS4G Lima in 2021

Cheers

Steven

> On 19 Oct 2016, at 06:13, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> even better!
>
> Till
>

> Am 2016-10-19 14:12, schrieb David Fawcett:
>> I can add that the committee had 100% good intent, but the 16th voter
>> (me) made an error in submitting their vote yesterday. Of course, the
>> vote shouldnt be counted, but even if it was, it wouldnt have changed
>> the overall outcome.
>>
>> David
>>
>>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 3:31 AM, <[hidden email] [5]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> with that in my eyes we have two results:
>>>
>>> Bangkok and Dar es Salaam are official candidates and will be
>>> pleased to submit a full proposal.
>>> I yield to Steven to request this officially from both teams.
>>>
>>> And we have a functioning committee, as 14 out of 16 members voted,
>>> one officially recused - thats a good signal together.
>>>
>>> Till

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [2] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [3] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [4] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [5] mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Decision of Bangkok Team for proposal for FOSS4G 2018

Jorieke Vyncke
Dear,

As member of the Tanzania team, I'm saddened to read your mail.
Regretting we will not have a strong competiter like you, but fully understanding your situation.
I hope Thailand will be strengthened after this period of mourning.

The Tanzania team is very commited to organize a strong FOSS4G 2018 in Dar Es Salaam.
Collaboration with the conference committee will be our priority.

Best wishes,

Jorieke

[...]

Phone: <a href="tel:%2B66-886021115" value="+66886021115" target="_blank">+66-886021115 (Mobile), <a href="tel:%2B66-2-524%206392" value="+6625246392" target="_blank">+66-2-524 6392 (Office)
Research Pages:

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you to all of the committee members for your stage 1 votes.

I confirm that Dar es Salaam and Bangkok received the necessary votes to proceed to submit a full proposal in accord with the RfP process and timeline

Our thanks to the Lima team for your Letter of Intent. I hope that you will continue to build FOSS4G in South America and that you will be back proposing FOSS4G Lima in 2021

Cheers

Steven

> On 19 Oct 2016, at 06:13, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> even better!
>
> Till
>

> Am 2016-10-19 14:12, schrieb David Fawcett:
>> I can add that the committee had 100% good intent, but the 16th voter
>> (me) made an error in submitting their vote yesterday. Of course, the
>> vote shouldnt be counted, but even if it was, it wouldnt have changed
>> the overall outcome.
>>
>> David
>>
>>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 3:31 AM, <[hidden email] [5]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> with that in my eyes we have two results:
>>>
>>> Bangkok and Dar es Salaam are official candidates and will be
>>> pleased to submit a full proposal.
>>> I yield to Steven to request this officially from both teams.
>>>
>>> And we have a functioning committee, as 14 out of 16 members voted,
>>> one officially recused - thats a good signal together.
>>>
>>> Till

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [2] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [3] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [4] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [5] mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Decision of Bangkok Team for proposal for FOSS4G 2018

Mark Iliffe-2
Dear OSGEO Conference Committee,

I’d like to second my friend Jorieke’s thoughts and wish to extend my team's condolences to our OSGeo comrades in Thailand at this time.

I hope that my team and the OSGeo Conference committee can discuss how to proceed and advise on the protocol here. We are continuing to prepare and look forward to hearing what the next stages are.

Many thanks,

Mark

On 1 Nov 2016, at 14:19, Jorieke Vyncke <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Phone: <a href="tel:%2B66-886021115" value="+66886021115" target="_blank" class="">+66-886021115 (Mobile), <a href="tel:%2B66-2-524%206392" value="+6625246392" target="_blank" class="">+66-2-524 6392 (Office)
Research Pages:

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you to all of the committee members for your stage 1 votes.

I confirm that Dar es Salaam and Bangkok received the necessary votes to proceed to submit a full proposal in accord with the RfP process and timeline

Our thanks to the Lima team for your Letter of Intent. I hope that you will continue to build FOSS4G in South America and that you will be back proposing FOSS4G Lima in 2021

Cheers

Steven

> On 19 Oct 2016, at 06:13, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> even better!
>
> Till
>

> Am 2016-10-19 14:12, schrieb David Fawcett:
>> I can add that the committee had 100% good intent, but the 16th voter
>> (me) made an error in submitting their vote yesterday. Of course, the
>> vote shouldnt be counted, but even if it was, it wouldnt have changed
>> the overall outcome.
>>
>> David
>>
>>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 3:31 AM, <[hidden email] [5]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> with that in my eyes we have two results:
>>>
>>> Bangkok and Dar es Salaam are official candidates and will be
>>> pleased to submit a full proposal.
>>> I yield to Steven to request this officially from both teams.
>>>
>>> And we have a functioning committee, as 14 out of 16 members voted,
>>> one officially recused - thats a good signal together.
>>>
>>> Till

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [2] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [3] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [4] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [5] mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Decision of Bangkok Team for proposal for FOSS4G 2018

Sanghee Shin
Dear Dr. Nitin Kumar Tripathi and Bangkok team,

It’s too bad to hear that your team would withdraw from the bidding. However I fully understand your current situation and respect your decision. I really appreciate all your efforts that you’d put to the race so far and expect to see another vibrant activities in your country soon again. May the FOSS be with you.

Best regards,
신상희
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
http://www.gaia3d.com

2016. 11. 1., 오전 9:13, nitin kumar tripathi <[hidden email]> 작성:

> [...]

>> David
>>
>>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 3:31 AM, <[hidden email] [5]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> with that in my eyes we have two results:
>>>
>>> Bangkok and Dar es Salaam are official candidates and will be
>>> pleased to submit a full proposal.
>>> I yield to Steven to request this officially from both teams.
>>>
>>> And we have a functioning committee, as 14 out of 16 members voted,
>>> one officially recused - thats a good signal together.
>>>
>>> Till

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [2] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [3] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [4] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [5] mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Decision of Bangkok Team for proposal for FOSS4G 2018

Peter Batty
As others have said, I am sorry to hear this news but understand the situation and send my condolences to the Thailand team.

We as a conference committee need to decide how to proceed now, in this unusual situation. If the timing had been a little different and the situation had arisen a couple of weeks ago, it is quite possible that the good proposal from Lima would have received more votes and have proceeded to the second stage. I think that we need to have more discussion first, but we may need to vote on whether we feel it is appropriate to ask Lima to submit a more detailed proposal, if they are still interested in doing this, or whether we go ahead and award the conference to Dar es Salaam.

In either case I think it is appropriate that we still ask for a full proposal from Dar es Salaam, as this is an important part of the overall planning process for the conference, and of the due diligence for the conference committee to be convinced that a good plan is in place.

What do others think about the best way to proceed?

Cheers,
    Peter.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> David
>>
>>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 3:31 AM, <[hidden email] [5]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> with that in my eyes we have two results:
>>>
>>> Bangkok and Dar es Salaam are official candidates and will be
>>> pleased to submit a full proposal.
>>> I yield to Steven to request this officially from both teams.
>>>
>>> And we have a functioning committee, as 14 out of 16 members voted,
>>> one officially recused - thats a good signal together.
>>>
>>> Till

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [2] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [3] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [4] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [5] mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Decision of Bangkok Team for proposal for FOSS4G 2018

Eli Adam
Condolences to the Bangkok team for their country's loss.

Best regards, Eli

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 7:44 PM, Peter Batty <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> David
>>
>>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 3:31 AM, <[hidden email] [5]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> with that in my eyes we have two results:
>>>
>>> Bangkok and Dar es Salaam are official candidates and will be
>>> pleased to submit a full proposal.
>>> I yield to Steven to request this officially from both teams.
>>>
>>> And we have a functioning committee, as 14 out of 16 members voted,
>>> one officially recused - thats a good signal together.
>>>
>>> Till

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [2] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [3] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [4] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [5] mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Decision of Bangkok Team for proposal for FOSS4G 2018

stevenfeldman
To our friends and colleagues in Thailand I send my condolences and best wishes

I note your comments about publishing the voting results, the committee should consider whether a change should be implemented in the future

Best regards

Steven

On 31 Oct 2016, at 17:13, nitin kumar tripathi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> David
>>
>>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 3:31 AM, <[hidden email] [5]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> with that in my eyes we have two results:
>>>
>>> Bangkok and Dar es Salaam are official candidates and will be
>>> pleased to submit a full proposal.
>>> I yield to Steven to request this officially from both teams.
>>>
>>> And we have a functioning committee, as 14 out of 16 members voted,
>>> one officially recused - thats a good signal together.
>>>
>>> Till

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [2] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [3] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [4] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [5] mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Decision of Bangkok Team for proposal for FOSS4G 2018

Tanzania team

Eli has summarised the process correctly in a separate mail. Please continue to submit your detailed proposal in accordance with the requirements and timescale set out in the RfP. It is important that you proceed as if the selection was competitive and convince the committee that you are well prepared to host FOSS4G 2018

Thanks and good  luck

Steven

On 1 Nov 2016, at 15:51, Mark Iliffe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> David
>>
>>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 3:31 AM, <[hidden email] [5]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> with that in my eyes we have two results:
>>>
>>> Bangkok and Dar es Salaam are official candidates and will be
>>> pleased to submit a full proposal.
>>> I yield to Steven to request this officially from both teams.
>>>
>>> And we have a functioning committee, as 14 out of 16 members voted,
>>> one officially recused - thats a good signal together.
>>>
>>> Till

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [2] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [3] mailto:[hidden email]
>> [4] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>> [5] mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Decision of Bangkok Team for proposal for FOSS4G 2018

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
Dear All,

It's a pity that the Thai team has withdrawn at
Stage 2 partly due to the sad and unforeseen
event in Thailand.

The CC also needs to consider the suggestion made
by Nitin about not declaring the number of votes
at any stage of the selection process so as to encourage
healthy competition till the last stage of selection.

Best

Venka

On 2016/11/02 12:54, Eli Adam wrote:

> [...]
>>> letter of intent and promises that we will be back with a better proposal
>>> for 2021.
>>>
>>> With best wishes for FOSS4G 2018.
>>>
>>> *Dr. Nitin Kumar Tripathi*
>>> Professor and Director-Special Degree Program
>>> School of Engineering and Technology
>>> Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Geoinformatics
>>> Asian Institute of Technology
>>> P.O. Box:4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120, Thailand, Phone:
>>> +66-886021115 (Mobile), +66-2-524 6392 (Office)
>>> e-mail: [hidden email]
>>> My Blog: *nitinkt.wordpress.com <http://nitinkt.wordpress.com/>*
>>> Research Pages:
>>> ResearchGate:  https://www.researchgate.net/
>>> profile/Nitin_Tripathi/?ev=hdr_xprf
>>> GoogleScholar:  http://scholar.google.com/cit
>>> ations?hl=en&user=BQr_DiEAAAAJ

Re: Decision of Bangkok Team for proposal for FOSS4G 2018

Till Adams-3
Dear Nitin,

also from me - I am very sorry to hear and thank you for your honest
decision, that gives us the possibility to react somehow on this new
situation.

Indeed I for myself was little surprised about the publishing of the
numbers of votes from the LoI phase. I can't remember I ever heard any
counts of votes for Bonn 2016.
On the other side, I would not overestimate the pre-votes at all. You
handed in a very good LoI which was in this early stage very realistic.

Anyhow, it is like it is and we, CC have to decide how to proceed now -
as Peter already said.

Till

Am 2016-11-01 01:13, schrieb nitin kumar tripathi:

> [...]
> [4] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
> [5] mailto:[hidden email]
> [6] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
> [7] mailto:[hidden email]
> [8] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
> [9] mailto:[hidden email]
> [10] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
> [11] mailto:[hidden email]
> [12] mailto:[hidden email]
> [13] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
> [14] mailto:[hidden email]
> [15] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
> [16] mailto:[hidden email]
> [17] https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Nitin_Tripathi/?ev=hdr_xprf
> [18] http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&amp;user=BQr_DiEAAAAJ
> [19] mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Decision of Bangkok Team for proposal for FOSS4G 2018

as Peter already lined out, we have two alternatives:
a) Support the Tansania Team and help them to make a very good proposal
(and +1, we need a proposal).
b) Kindly ask the Lima team whether they see the possibility to jump on
the train again.

I want to comment on both alternatives:
Scenario a) involves the danger that also the situation for Tansania
might change in the upcoming 1.5 years (you never know) and then we do
not have any alternative left.
If we choose Scenario b), we definitely need to extend the
proposal-phase to give them the same time and with that same conditions.

Regards, Till

On Wednesday, November 2, 2016, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Nitin,

also from me - I am very sorry to hear and thank you for your honest decision, that gives us the possibility to react somehow on this new situation.

Indeed I for myself was little surprised about the publishing of the numbers of votes from the LoI phase. I can't remember I ever heard any counts of votes for Bonn 2016.

Indeed, the rfp process states the vote won't be disclosed at the loi stage.  In advance of the vote, Thomas made clear how he was going to run the vote and no one commented.  In the past, we've not revealed this vote beyond, "the following loi received two or more votes and are invited to submit full bids."

On the other side, I would not overestimate the pre-votes at all. You handed in a very good LoI which was in this early stage very realistic.

Agree.  Loi are superficial, you don't really know what to think until the full proposal and how the loc responds to questions.

Best regards, Eli

[5]> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> with that in my eyes we have two results:
>>>
>>> Bangkok and Dar es Salaam are official candidates and will be
>>> pleased to submit a full proposal.
>>> I yield to Steven to request this officially from both teams.
>>>
>>> And we have a functioning committee, as 14 out of 16 members
voted,
>>> one officially recused - thats a good signal together.
>>>
>>> Till

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] mailto:Conference_dev@lists.osgeo.org [7]
>> [3] mailto:Conference_dev@lists.osgeo.org [9]
>> [5] mailto:[hidden email] [11]

Links:
------
[1] mailto:[hidden email]
[2] mailto:[hidden email]
[3] mailto:Conference_dev@lists.osgeo.org
[5] mailto:Conference_dev@lists.osgeo.org
[7] mailto:Conference_dev@lists.osgeo.org
[9] mailto:Conference_dev@lists.osgeo.org
[11] mailto:[hidden email]
[12] mailto:Conference_dev@lists.osgeo.org
[14] mailto:Conference_dev@lists.osgeo.org
[16] mailto:[hidden email]
[17] https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Nitin_Tripathi/?ev=hdr_xprf
[18] http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&amp;user=BQr_DiEAAAAJ
[19] mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Decision of Bangkok Team for proposal for FOSS4G 2018

Mark Iliffe-2
Steven, All,

Thank you for the guidance. We will proceed.

Many thanks, may the FOSS be with us all,

Mark