Database Design

bakerlpf
Hi,

GeoServer newbie so apologies in advance....

I have been working on a windows application for sometime which writes geotiff image data (in accordance with the ARC system) into a SQL server database.  I now would like to make the image data available over the internet.  I can write a web Service (WMS) from scratch to achieve this or would using GeoServer save me a lot of time and effort?  In using GeoServer would the existing database need re-designing to be compatible.  If a change is needed any guidance/info on what's needed would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lee